PDA

View Full Version : Best day at the track of your life?

EMD4ME
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
I was 20 years old... on my way back from South Carolina with my dad to NY. We stopped at our old stomping grounds, Charles Town Races. Dad threw me 40 bucks, good luck, he said, not expecting me to last long. I had been charting (maintaining charts for nyra) and liked a horse in the seventh. Played 40 to win, paid 8 bucks. Waited with my 160 till the evenings CT card. Caught on to the speed bias during race 1 (muddy and boggy track). Bet speed in the next 8 and built the bankroll to over 1500.00

Caught up to dad at the end of the night. Asked him how he did. He said poor. I said how poor. He lost about 400.

I wrapped out my bankroll and threw him 500. He was ecstatic. He said wtf??? Not expecting this little kid to actually win at the track...

I told him what I did and he was so proud, yet kind of embarrassed that his son was so sharp at the track.

I never forgot that day, wasn't my biggest day ever but was one of the best moments I've had at the track.

How about you?

andtheyreoff
06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
November 30, 2013, which was my 18th birthday. Cigar Mile day at Aqueduct during the day, birthday party at the new Meadowlands at night. Saw some great thoroughbred and harness racing. Made some money, too. Can't beat it.

EMD4ME
06-15-2014, 09:43 PM
November 30, 2013, which was my 18th birthday. Cigar Mile day at Aqueduct during the day, birthday party at the new Meadowlands at night. Saw some great thoroughbred and harness racing. Made some money, too. Can't beat it.

That sounds great! I haven't pulled a double header off in 9 years! Way to go!

wiffleball whizz
06-15-2014, 10:13 PM
16,700 at Foxwoods Racebook in 2011.....I ran like Jesus C

precocity
06-15-2014, 10:21 PM
10 trillion back in 2007!!!!! ran like whizzy!!!! :lol:

wiffleball whizz
06-15-2014, 10:34 PM

As a disclaimer 7 weeks later I cashed in $97 in change so I could go bet balmoral and mountaineer on a Sunday night....

It was tap city

precocity
06-15-2014, 10:39 PM
As a disclaimer 7 weeks later I cashed in $97 in change so I could go bet balmoral and mountaineer on a Sunday night....

It was tap city
Bustout degenerate gambler :ThmbUp: :lol:

Robert Goren
06-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Went 7 out 8 one day at Aksarben in 1968 or 1969. A long way from my most money won day, but I felt really smart after that day.

PhantomOnTour
06-15-2014, 11:16 PM
The first time I attended the Preakness with my father and brother.
Best day ever

wiffleball whizz
06-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Was partners btw!!!!! But that's besides the point!!!

Precocity wins that all the time!!!

precocity
06-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Was partners btw!!!!! But that's besides the point!!!

Precocity wins that all the time!!!
cant beat 10 trillion whizzy! :cool:

EMD4ME
06-15-2014, 11:57 PM

What did you hit? Anything memorable?

EMD4ME
06-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Went 7 out 8 one day at Aksarben in 1968 or 1969. A long way from my most money won day, but I felt really smart after that day.

That's impressive! Why did Aksarben close?

nijinski
06-16-2014, 01:15 AM
It was actually at a harness track . Might have been the Mistletoe Shalee.
Two year old trotting filly's ,several decades ago .
Was going to pass but instead bet the only two filly's that never broke
stride prior . They both looked outclassed but I bet a small three horse
box , both with the favorite . Had both bombs to win also .
They came in 1-2 , only because the favorite and a few others broke
and caused scattering too . Sheer Luck ! I couldn't even tell you the winners name now :lol: :lol:

Another was betting on Terpsichorist , a Stephens horse I'd met on the
backstretch . Went specifically to bet on her and had no idea she'd be
a very long price . She beat the boys on that chilly night at the
Meadowlands and I celebrated .

One more memorable , sadly was State Dinner beating Alydar . McCarron
flew in for this on a Memorial Day weekend , Belmont Park . I still wanted
Alydar to win but with small funds , went with the west coast shipper .
Hard to catch these kinds of wins these days but still looking always
for another best day at the track .

nijinski
06-16-2014, 01:20 AM
The first time I attended the Preakness with my father and brother.
Best day ever

Who won it?

PhantomOnTour
06-16-2014, 02:15 AM
Who won it?
Point Given, and the ex with AP Valentine was excellent :ThmbUp:

appistappis
06-16-2014, 02:30 AM
so many come to mind but I'd have to say secretariat's last race at woodbine...didn't know it at the time but in a three month period I met bobby orr, muhammed ali and watched secretariat, the three greatests of all time

nijinski
06-16-2014, 02:47 AM

A best for sure !! :)

TheEdge07
06-16-2014, 07:14 AM
May 4th,2013 last year

Hit the early pick 4 at CD for 82,447 .50 ($12 Ticket) and the pick 3 for 3,748 on ($4 ticket)

EMD4ME
06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
May 4th,2013 last year

Hit the early pick 4 at CD for 82,447 .50 ($12 Ticket) and the pick 3 for 3,748 on ($4 ticket)

You hit that pick 4 too??? I thought it came back a bit short! Lol. Great job!

I hit that one as well. I'll never forget part of the wager. I singled the 7 in a 5F turf sprint at 20/1 ML, knowing he's the lone speed and many of the favorites liked 5 1/2, not 5F. Do you remember how you put the ticket together?

TheEdge07
06-16-2014, 08:32 AM
You hit that pick 4 too??? I thought it came back a bit short! Lol. Great job!

I hit that one as well. I'll never forget part of the wager. I singled the 7 in a 5F turf sprint at 20/1 ML, knowing he's the lone speed and many of the favorites liked 5 1/2, not 5F. Do you remember how you put the ticket together?

EMD4ME you have the wrong races mixed up it was the early pick 4-$84 grand was huge last year 2013

26/12/134/45=-$12

Our Double Play=-$29.60
Atigun=$13.00
Strike One=$47.20
Bellarmine=$25.20

Exotic1
06-16-2014, 09:28 AM
May 4th,2013 last year

Highly impressive. Very nice.

cj's dad
06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
4-5 years ago at Laurel Park. I bet two rolling pick 3's, $8 each, at Tampa and hit both for $1500+ and $900+. $2500 in a space of 25 minutes.

Not at the track, but wagering at home I was down to $2 and change (thank God I had that damn $.25 in my account to cover that outrageous fee that TVG charges:rolleyes:) and bet a $1 tri part wheel 5w 6-8/with 8-6. #5 was 50-1. It came out 586 and paid in excess of $6000. I got back about $4500.

1st time lasix
06-16-2014, 03:17 PM
**Following a great "black tie affair" with the racing legends the night before {open bar-with great eye-candy} My buddy and I went to the back side of Arlington at dawn. A glorious day where we met a trainer friend of his who had one going early in on the big day. {I snuck him half an apple} So darn nice out that morning ...we watched works with a couple bloody mary's. Coming back from the barns to change mid-morning ...we happened to get in an elevator alone with Hall of Famer Richard Mandella from California. I knew he only had one entered in the feature---The Tin Man ---so I had to speak up and ask him as we rode up. "how does he look?" he smiled and said--"I think he is really ready to go." Well....I elected to key the claiming horse we met that early morning in the early pick four---getting a nice 'signer' when he won at 7-1. We slipped thru getting our picture taken in the winner circle. Later... I simply hammered the Tin Man in numerous wagers and he didn't disapoint. It was all over at the half when leading a slow pace with a 50 second split. He romped home! Great food and drink in the Million Room rubbing shoulders with the big shots. I was was the one doing all the $ cashing. Covered the airfareback to Florida, , rental car, hotel, and enough leftover for a new carpet for my condo. Great day!

thaskalos
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
My best day at the track was that rainy Saturday in 1981 when the speedy Illinois-bred Jeremy Jet won the Hawthorne Derby. I was just starting out in the game at that time...and Jeremy Jet was the first "great" horse that I ever saw. I intended to bet on him in his first lifetime start, because he sported a rare mile work on his workout tab...but he went off at odds of 4/5, and I kept the money in my pocket. The horse won by 10 lengths...and he beat an allowance field by 10 lengths in his next start as well. I was in awe of this horse...and I loved it when I saw him win race after race with authority as he worked through his race conditions.

Nobody on the grounds could beat him...and then the connections saw fit to try this horse on the grass. I was there live, of course, and took pictures of the striking black horse as it came out from the paddock. Alas...he was totally uncomfortable on the grassy surface, and was beaten soundly...and I felt a tear running down my cheek as this great horse looked confused that he wasn't going to visit the winners circle after the race. I happened to be watching the race next to Jeremy Jet's trainer, Clifford Scott -- whom I recognised from a picture in the DRF -- and I remember verbally abusing him for being the only person capable of defeating this horse.

On the aforementioned rainy Saturday, Jeremy Jet found himself in the Hawthorne Derby...against some of the midwest's best stakes horses. Again I was right on the rail with my camera...taking pictures of the majestic colt. And I bet him with confidence at 10-1 odds.

Jeremy Jet, under Carlos "Hi Ho" Silva, went to the lead...but was challenged around the far turn by an Arkansas invader. And then the legendary announcer Phil Georgeff took over:

"But Jeremy Jet is under the whip...and he strides out by THREE...now FOUR! Jeremy Jet has a FIVE LENGTH LEAD! There is a new star in town...and his name is JEREMY JET!!"

I remember vividly wiping away tears as I went to collect my winnings...and there is a lump in my throat even as I type this. Many, many thousands of dollars have passed through my hands in this game...and I have cheered many times since. But never again did I ever cry.

It was my greatest day at the track...

BettinBilly
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Hard to pin down for me. A few come to mind.

Actually, probably the best was this last Derby Day and the final day at Beulah Derby Day Grand Finale Party. Great party, ended up at a table with two really amazing Horseplayers. Great conversation, we all won a decent amount. Beautiful day outside with good racing, but being in the upper clubhouse with catered food and good company was the best part. Sad that it was Beulah's last hoorah, but it was probably the best day at the track I have ever had.

tanner12oz
06-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Blame hanging on to beat zenyatta chomping on a fat cigar jumping for joy while everyone else sat stunned drowning in pity....en route to a 4k pick 4 payday....dakota phone was in that sequence lol

Exotic1
06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
My best day at the track was that rainy Saturday in 1981 when the speedy Illinois-bred Jeremy Jet won the Hawthorne Derby. I was just starting out in the game at that time...and Jeremy Jet was the first "great" horse that I ever saw. I intended to bet on him in his first lifetime start, because he sported a rare mile work on his workout tab...but he went off at odds of 4/5, and I kept the money in my pocket. The horse won by 10 lengths...and he beat an allowance field by 10 lengths in his next start as well. I was in awe of this horse...and I loved it when I saw him win race after race with authority as he worked through his race conditions.

Nobody on the grounds could beat him...and then the connections saw fit to try this horse on the grass. I was there live, of course, and took pictures of the striking black horse as it came out from the paddock. Alas...he was totally uncomfortable on the grassy surface, and was beaten soundly...and I felt a tear running down my cheek as this great horse looked confused that he wasn't going to visit the winners circle after the race. I happened to be watching the race next to Jeremy Jet's trainer, Clifford Scott -- whom I recognised from a picture in the DRF -- and I remember verbally abusing him for being the only person capable of defeating this horse.

On the aforementioned rainy Saturday, Jeremy Jet found himself in the Hawthorne Derby...against some of the midwest's best stakes horses. Again I was right on the rail with my camera...taking pictures of the majestic colt. And I bet him with confidence at 10-1 odds.

Jeremy Jet, under Carlos "Hi Ho" Silva, went to the lead...but was challenged around the far turn by an Arkansas invader. And then the legendary announcer Phil Georgeff took over:

"But Jeremy Jet is under the whip...and he strides out by THREE...now FOUR! Jeremy Jet has a FIVE LENGTH LEAD! There is a new star in town...and his name is JEREMY JET!!"

I remember vividly wiping away tears as I went to collect my winnings...and there is a lump in my throat even as I type this. Many, many thousands of dollars have passed through my hands in this game...and I have cheered many times since. But never again did I ever cry.

Wow.

Great writing, I felt like I was there. I'm just in awe.

EMD4ME
06-16-2014, 06:30 PM
EMD4ME you have the wrong races mixed up it was the early pick 4-$84 grand was huge last year 2013

26/12/134/45=-$12

Our Double Play=-$29.60
Atigun=$13.00
Strike One=$47.20
Bellarmine=$25.20

I think you're right. I remember it was Derby day 2013 and I hit a pick 4 at CD but it wasn't 84 grand, it was 44-48 grand. Maybe it was the 2nd pick 4 of the day, not the first pick 4.

I do remember Edgar Prado finished the last leg with a win & the 7 won the 3rd leg in a 5F Turf Sprint as the longest shot in the race.

Anyway.... great job! That is an amazing hit with such a small play :ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
06-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Blame hanging on to beat zenyatta chomping on a fat cigar jumping for joy while everyone else sat stunned drowning in pity....en route to a 4k pick 4 payday....dakota phone was in that sequence lol

That is awesome!!! I wasn't a fan of Zenyatta and followed Blame for quite a while. That was an awesome ending! Loved the result!

EMD4ME
06-16-2014, 06:34 PM

That was and is an amazingly detailed account of a fantastic experience. I fully feel your emotional roller coaster with Jeremy Jet.

cnollfan
06-16-2014, 11:18 PM
That is awesome!!! I wasn't a fan of Zenyatta and followed Blame for quite a while. That was an awesome ending! Loved the result!

I got dissed on this board in another thread for saying so, but I think Blame -
Zenyatta was one of the greatest races ever. I was a fan of Zenyatta (and of Rachel too -- is it allowed to like both)? I had the same Pick 4 alive going to Blame, but not to Zenyatta. When they were coming down the stretch, I was not sure which horse I was rooting for more.

EMD4ME
06-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Zenyatta was one of the greatest races ever. I was a fan of Zenyatta (and of Rachel too -- is it allowed to like both)? I had the same Pick 4 alive going to Blame, but not to Zenyatta. When they were coming down the stretch, I was not sure which horse I was rooting for more.

I hear ya... it's tough (the heart vs. the wager)

_______
06-17-2014, 12:03 AM

I had to work that Saturday but gave a friend who was going to Hollywood Park $24 and had him key PG on top of the 4 other horse that had run in the Derby in a super. The best part of that bet was Monarchos off the board.

tanner12oz
06-17-2014, 10:07 AM

I have a photo of the finish on my wall with the audio of the stretch call....announcer mentions zenyatta like 50 times coming down the stretch..

"Zenyatta ran her heart out but had to settle for second"

LOVE IT! and totally agree a race for the ages

tanner12oz
06-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Blame babies should be hitting the track soon? Anyone got any names to follow yet?

BlueShoe
06-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Haven't had it yet. A few minor scores along the many years at the track, but never the big one. That may change. In the last couple of years have been chasing the 50 cent Pick-5 and Pick-4s. Have come oh so close on several occasions to hitting a boxcar payoff, but we all can say that. A pick-5 that pays five figures not an unresonable expectation. Just hope that I stay around long enough to hit one.

wisconsin
06-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Back around 1999 at Geneva Lakes Kennel Club. I had a tri at Calder that paid around $4400. Then, I took the entire super pool in a live dog race, about $2k, then had another super later in the day, I want to say the Meadows, for $1700.

Another time, a few years earlier, was out $600 when I finally nailed a $20 exacta with a $10 quinella (my last $30) at Golden Gate and cashed for maybe $700 and from there, was playing strictly exactas all over the place that evening, just stuffing money where I could, because I kept cashing for $300 here, $400 there. I came home, and my oldest was still awake, and I had this pile of money on the kitchen table that we counted together. Was around $3800. What a feeling that was.

tanner12oz
06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Since going adw I oh so miss the giant pile of cash at the end of a good day...seeing digits on the screen simply doesn't have the same feel as those bands of 100's

thaskalos
06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Since going adw I oh so miss the giant pile of cash at the end of a good day...seeing digits on the screen simply doesn't have the same feel as those bands of 100's

Then why go adw?

Grits
06-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Blame babies should be hitting the track soon? Anyone got any names to follow yet?

1) Cantblamesynthetics

2) Blameitondaddy

3) Beatenathome

tanner12oz
06-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Then why go adw?

for every reason other then stacks of 100's

wisconsin
06-17-2014, 04:08 PM
1) Cantblamesynthetics

2) Blameitondaddy

3) Beatenathome

Awesome!

How about

Don't Blame Me
Who's To Blame

dartman51
06-17-2014, 05:11 PM
AQUEDUCT, Jan. 8, 2011. Not my best monetarily, but definitely the best percentage wise. I actually posted the picks on this board. 9 selections with 8 winners.

uncbossfan
06-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Final 4 sat in '09

Played golf that morning and shot a career best 84. Our group headed to River Downs sports book to bet a few at Keeneland.

First race we were there I spy a horse I won $250 on exactly 1 yr ago when I was at Kee for my bachelor party. I figure I'm up big with him so let's go $20 wps. He wins at 6-1.

Next race I like a 7-1 shot. I'm up, kinda drunk so $20 across again sounds good - winner!!

Now I'm feeling invincible. The feature was next and it was the GI Ashland. Wow, Hoo Why looks like the lone speed and she's 24-1. $20 across one more time and she hangs on by a neck. By far the best stretch I have ever had.

To cap the day of my Tar Heels won that night (and the championship) to make that Sat one of the best in my life.

Biggest single race was Animal Kingdom in the Derby. Had $50 across and hit the tri. Profit of just over $2,500

bdownes
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I got to spend a night at the races at Sandown in England in the Royal Box. One of the best meals I've ever had was served. Just an incredible night.

Or the time I got to Sandown for their premier race...the Coral Eclipse

Or the day I got to Ascot for a day of racing. I also got to Goodwood and Newmarket in the UK.

Or the day I got to call the race after the Ky Derby at Churchill Downs.

Or any day at Saratoga or Del Mar.

Or the day I hit a pick at Del Mar for around 19k.

Or the 1997 Breeders Cup at Hollywood Park where I watched up on the roof when Skip Away won the BC Classic.

Come to think of it.. I've had quite a few best days at the track. Plenty of them involved cash scores but also many life experiences.

sam4022
06-19-2014, 08:38 AM
1976 Meadowlands (9th. race)......
I fell in love with Golden Glow on the ML at 15/1. He was dropping out of a route where his early fractions were very quick. I had $50 for him to win & place but the odds kept going up so I got nervous and began to look for a missing leg, a limp, or blindness but found nothing, even so, I dropped to $10 win & place.

Short story he won by a "not even close" margin paying $132. Also, my brother-in-law had told a few friends who boxed him in trifectas and exactas SO, for the rest of the meet I didn't have to pay for any food or drink.....a great evening. To this day I always look for an entry dropping from a route to a sprint with a decent early half as a solid and often overlooked angle.

ILovetheInner
06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Always will be Arcangues. The day, the odds, and Durkin's great call...just all of it. It had been a horrid day for NY'er me out west. I had slaved obsessive hours/days/years, burning the midnight oil as only an obsessed handicapper can. Coming up with my BC profiles and all my crazed graphs, which even told me that Lure could not win out of that post. It was all awful. So I broke that golden rule of no desperate "get out" logic in the finale. Only idiots do that. The same profiles that betrayed me in the Mile also said that Euros to have run with some shot at winning the Classic had been Group I winners at 1 1/2, versus those whose longest G1 had been 1 1/4. Made sense...dirt is more tiring. So there was this horse who had that...ok, fine, qualified on my profile a year earlier and this year's form on paper looked nasty. But he had THAT, was Fabre and Bailey up. And I was desperate. That will so never happen again. But that's ok....still thrills me just the same all these years later.

AndyC
06-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Best Days

Emotional:

1. Seeing John Henry win the 1982 Oak Tree Invitational after many thought that he wasn't up to the task any more.

2. Seeing Ancient Title win the 1977 Del Mar Handicap as a 7 year old after he too had been written off.

Fun:

1. The final day of racing at Longacres in 1992. It was my first and only visit to the that track. One of my racing buddies was tight with the track GM so eight of us got the best seats in the dining area overlooking the track. It didn't hurt that I was able to pay for the entire trip from San Diego for my wife and I with the winnings from that day.

2. Royal Ascot 1993. My friend and his girlfriend hosted me and my wife to a spectacular day of elegant fine dining and an experience of a lifetime in betting with the oncourse bookies.

3. Irish Derby 1993. The Irish people certainly no how to have fun at the races and I didn't want to look like an outsider.

Worst day:

1990 BC at Belmont. There were several fatal breakdowns that day but the worst part was making a special trip down to the rail only to witness the tragic breakdown of Go for Wand.