PDA

View Full Version : Amazing baseball records

Stillriledup
06-14-2014, 03:01 AM
They are not your "mainstream" records such as Dimaggio's hit streak or Williams batting 406.

Don Drysdale had 6 consecutive shutouts in 1968.

Jack Taylor, 202 consecutive games without being relieved, from 1901 to 1906, the guy went FIVE years before he was ever taken out of a game, 187 starts and 15 relief appearances.

Cal Ripken from 1982 to 1987 didnt miss an INNING. He played every inning for 5 years straight. Just incredible.

Consecutive seasons with 150 or more hits, Derek Jeter and Hank Aaron are tied at 17 seasons.

wiffleball whizz
06-14-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm sure the oriole fan club will chime in when they wake up!!!

cj's dad
06-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm sure the oriole fan club will chime in when they wake up!!!

Been up waching reruns of the "Night Shift". Hell of a show.

Single greatest accomplishment of the O's was the '66 WS sweep of LA. O's held the Dodgers scoreless for the last 32 innings of the series and to 4 runs scored (2 earned), and 17 hits.

horses4courses
06-14-2014, 11:01 AM
To me, the most amazing record in baseball is that it's close to 25 years since it's all-time hits leader,
Pete Rose , was run out of the game.

What a travesty :ThmbDown:

kingfin66
06-14-2014, 12:01 PM
To me, the most amazing record in baseball is that it's close to 25 years since it's all-time hits leader,
Pete Rose , was run out of the game.

What a travesty :ThmbDown:

That is one way to look at it. The other way is that he bet on baseball and was given a lifetime ban. Given is not actually the correct word as Pete actually agreed to the ban. You can read that agreement here (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_rosea.shtml).

Of course, a lot has changed in baseball since Pete's punishment was handed down. Steroid users start with a 50 game suspension, etc. I would like to see him in the Hall of Fame for what he did as a player, but I certainly understand and accept the reason why he is not in. Saying that he was run out of the game is a little disingenuous in my opinion.

horses4courses
06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
That is one way to look at it. The other way is that he bet on baseball and was given a lifetime ban. Given is not actually the correct word as Pete actually agreed to the ban. You can read that agreement here (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_rosea.shtml).

Of course, a lot has changed in baseball since Pete's punishment was handed down. Steroid users start with a 50 game suspension, etc. I would like to see him in the Hall of Fame for what he did as a player, but I certainly understand and accept the reason why he is not in. Saying that he was run out of the game is a little disingenuous in my opinion.

O.J. Simpson is still in the NFL HOF, right?
He's a thug and a murderer.

MutuelClerk
06-14-2014, 12:21 PM
IN Pete's first book he claimed he never bet on baseball. In his second book he said well mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe I bet on baseball. There's not no doubt he did, and when he was stuck I'm sure being the degenerate he is he wagered against his own team. Amazing player, one of my favorites as a kid. But I'm glad he's not in the HOF.

horses4courses
06-14-2014, 12:28 PM
IN Pete's first book he claimed he never bet on baseball. In his second book he said well mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe I bet on baseball. There's not no doubt he did, and when he was stuck I'm sure being the degenerate he is he wagered against his own team. Amazing player, one of my favorites as a kid. But I'm glad he's not in the HOF.

It really says more about the institution itself, than it does about Pete Rose.
Pete was more concerned about losing his livelihood in baseball, than he ever was about the HOF.

Seriously, do you think that Pete Rose is the only potential HOF inductee who placed a bet on his sport?
I'm talking about all pro sports in this country.
The man got the most hits in baseball.
I'm positive he never bet against any team he played for, or managed.
It's not in his character.

This is the 21st century, for crying out loud...... :bang:

MutuelClerk
06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
His record as a player, no question. HE belongs at the top of the list. For me, the fact he quite possibly bet against his team is tough to overcome. I can't prove he did, but I think he did. And because of that I don't want him in the HOF. For me this isn't about the transgressions of others. It's about his choices. I'm sure if there's a 30 for 30 on ESPN, he cries really hard says he's sorry. He may get inducted. It seems to be the American way these days.

MutuelClerk
06-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Back to the thread. I'll take Teddy Ballgames 84 games in a row getting on base. I think that's harder than Joe D's 56 game hitting streak.

Delta Cone
06-14-2014, 03:01 PM
In 1920, Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, more than every other team in the American League.

The St. Louis Browns were closest, with 50 HR total for the year.

tucker6
06-14-2014, 03:58 PM
In 1920, Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, more than every other team in the American League.

The St. Louis Browns were closest, with 50 HR total for the year.
even more amazing is that Babe had a 94-46 lifetime pitching record with a 2.28 ERA. Shutouts in 9 games one season. One of the better pitchers in his era, and then converted to batter after five seasons. He had a 3-0 world series record with an 0.87 ERA. Not bad for a fat guy who ate, drank, and womanized during games.

_______
06-14-2014, 04:10 PM
6 different major league players have been hit by a pitch twice in one inning. It had never happened before 1959. The last occasion it was David DeJesus in 2012.

This is record that I could hope to break if MLB could rid itself of its prejudice against slow talentless ball players.

kingfin66
06-14-2014, 05:18 PM
O.J. Simpson is still in the NFL HOF, right?
He's a thug and a murderer.

I was addressing your comment regarding Pete Rose and how he was "run out of the game." Now you are deflecting to O.J. Simpson. Okay, I will take the bait. Thug? I believe that is pretty obvious with arrests for DV and a conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery? Murderer? Many people believe that he is, but the fact is that we was acquitted of the charges. FWIW, he was actually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame well before his most documented issues.

Back to Pete. Recall that I said in my response that I would like to see him inducted. I really do. Do you have a disagreement with my response that Pete himself agreed to his ban? The benefit for him in agreeing to it is that there was never an official finding regarding his gambling. This is what gives him the ability to petition for reinstatement.

Since I am very guilty of taking the thread off topic, I offer this as an amazing sports feat. Paul Schreiber - not the MLB umpire - holds the record for the longest time between MLB appearances. He had a gap of 22 years, 1923 to 1945, between relief appearances for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. You can, as they say, look it up.

horses4courses
06-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I was addressing your comment regarding Pete Rose and how he was "run out of the game." Now you are deflecting to O.J. Simpson. Okay, I will take the bait. Thug? I believe that is pretty obvious with arrests for DV and a conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery? Murderer? Many people believe that he is, but the fact is that we was acquitted of the charges. FWIW, he was actually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame well before his most documented issues.

Back to Pete. Recall that I said in my response that I would like to see him inducted. I really do. Do you have a disagreement with my response that Pete himself agreed to his ban? The benefit for him in agreeing to it is that there was never an official finding regarding his gambling. This is what gives him the ability to petition for reinstatement.

Since I am very guilty of taking the thread off topic, I offer this as an amazing sports feat. Paul Schreiber - not the MLB umpire - holds the record for the longest time between MLB appearances. He had a gap of 22 years, 1923 to 1945, between relief appearances for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. You can, as they say, look it up.

No disagreement - Pete signed off on it.
That doesn't make it right.

If MLB stipulated to Pete Rose that he take a lie detector test asking him whether he ever bet against a team
that he played on, or managed, I believe he would take the test and pass.

My apologies to SRU for hijacking this thread.
Not another word from me about Pete Rose. :blush:

Stillriledup
06-14-2014, 07:02 PM
No disagreement - Pete signed off on it.
That doesn't make it right.

If MLB stipulated to Pete Rose that he take a lie detector test asking him whether he ever bet against a team
that he played on, or managed, I believe he would take the test and pass.

My apologies to SRU for hijacking this thread.
Not another word from me about Pete Rose. :blush:

I think that Pete signing off on it was a ruse, he was to sign it and "Get back in" but the guy Giamatti died and he was going to let Pete back in?

So, Pete made a mistake and took a "plea" and it was probably something verbal that ABG said he would let him back in after the hubbub died down.

I think Pete should be let back in baseball and put in the HOF, he deserves it, his betting was as a manager, his playing career was stellar and he played his tail off to get where he got as a player.

Ok, so he's served his punishment....my question is this.

Is Pete Rose the only human on the face of the earth that can't get a 2nd chance? The entire world gets 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th chances...but Pete can't get ONE second chance?

Also, he bet on his own team, it wasnt like he was fixing games and betting on the other guys, he was betting as a degenerate (like Whizz :D ) so he wasnt "manipulating" the games to "invest" and he wasn't ONLY betting on baseball.

NOW, if he was just betting baseball and trying to manipulate some kind of edge thru gambling, that's different, but he was a degenerate just betting on anything that moved, i believe that while its not right, he shouldn't be held to the same standard as a person who was betting on just baseball when he felt he had an edge.

MLB is really hypocritical here, they turned a blind eye to steroid cheats and permitted to let the game get tarnished far worse than anything Pete Rose ever did....all Pete did was bust his ass for 20+ seasons and give everything he had to this game, he's served long enough, the time is now to let him back in.

TheEdge07
06-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Bonds 72 hr season.

cj's dad
06-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Is the title of this thread- How in the hell did it become about Pete Rose ??

horses4courses
06-14-2014, 11:30 PM

It's all my fault.
Whenever I think baseball records, Pete Rose springs to mind.
A lot of people have erased him from their memory.

MutuelClerk
06-15-2014, 12:34 AM
The list of women Jeter has slept with is pretty amazing.

PhantomOnTour
06-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Fernando Tatis - hit two grand slams in one inning

kingfin66
06-15-2014, 01:59 AM
It's all my fault.
Whenever I think baseball records, Pete Rose springs to mind.
A lot of people have erased him from their memory.

I also share the blame. A separate thread about Pete might be interesting.

dannyhill
06-15-2014, 02:37 AM
What if they were talking about Jim Palmer instead?:)

thaskalos
06-15-2014, 02:54 AM

WHO?

thaskalos
06-15-2014, 03:07 AM
Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters.

Stillriledup
06-15-2014, 05:37 AM
The list of women Jeter has slept with is pretty amazing.

The list of women who refuse to marry him is also pretty amazing. :D

Marshall Bennett
06-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Giants and Cardinals no-hit each other on consecutive days in 1968.

JustRalph
06-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Giants and Cardinals no-hit each other on consecutive days in 1968.

Who were the pitchers? That's amazing...........

Gibson?

kingfin66
06-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Who were the pitchers? That's amazing...........

Gibson?

Gaylord Perry for SF and Ray Washburn for StL.

Robert Goren
06-15-2014, 01:29 PM
The Yankees winning 5 straight World Series.

tucker6
06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
The Yankees winning 5 straight World Series.
you can still buy a WS title, so am not sure it cannot be done again.

Marshall Bennett
06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Phil Niekro was the last pitcher to win 20 and lose 20 (21-20) in the same season (1979). I'd be surprised if it was ever done again with the changes to how pitchers are used now.

Stillriledup
06-15-2014, 05:04 PM
you can still buy a WS title, so am not sure it cannot be done again.

You can buy a title? On Amazon? I'd like to buy one, you know, i wouldnt mind being called WORLD CHAMP!

:D

tucker6
06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
You can buy a title? On Amazon? I'd like to buy one, you know, i wouldnt mind being called WORLD CHAMP!

:D
only costs 200M. Pocket change for a man of your stature. :D

cj's dad
06-16-2014, 07:07 AM

You're trolling so I'll bite:

Jim Palmer - 521 career starts - 211 complete games. You have to admit that is pretty amazing.

dartman51
06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Bob Gibson....482 games started.....255 complete games

1968 went 22-9 with a minuscule 1.12 era 28 complete games and 13 shut outs :ThmbUp:

tucker6
06-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Back on September 28, 1919 the New York Giants defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 6-1. The time it took to play the full nine innings was a mere 51 minutes. You can barely get two innings covered in that amount of time these days.

cj's dad
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Bob Gibson....482 games started.....255 complete games

1968 went 22-9 with a minuscule 1.12 era 28 complete games and 13 shut outs :ThmbUp:

Have always touted him as the greatest pitcher in my lifetime.

dannyhill
06-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Jim Palmer - 521 career starts - 211 complete games. You have to admit that is pretty amazing.
Not trolling in the least. Was a joke which i thought the smiley face meant.
My bad.

Stillriledup
06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
only costs 200M. Pocket change for a man of your stature. :D

I'm about 199,999,999.99 short. :D

cj's dad
06-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Not trolling in the least. Was a joke which i thought the smiley face meant.
My bad.

No worries- all in fun.

horses4courses
07-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Today, for the first time ever in MLB since records were kept,
grand slam home runs were hit by both the starting pitcher and catcher.

Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner did it today for the Giants against the D'backs.
It's a silly, obscure, record that may never be equalled!

Marshall Bennett
07-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Today, for the first time ever in MLB since records were kept,
grand slam home runs were hit by both the starting pitcher and catcher.

Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner did it today for the Giants against the D'backs.
It's a silly, obscure, record that may never be equalled!
Few pitchers have even hit a grand slam. Tony Cloninger hit 2 with the Braves in the same game,

kingfin66
07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
"King" Felix Hernandez has hit a grand slam.

Valuist
07-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Few pitchers have even hit a grand slam. Tony Cloninger hit 2 with the Braves in the same game,

Bumgarner became the first pitcher to hit two grand slams in a season since Cloninger.

PhantomOnTour
07-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Without cheating, can anyone name the pitcher who has the most home runs all time?...and I'm not looking for Babe Ruth.
I am talking about someone who hit these HR's while he was a pitcher.

Tor Ekman
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Without cheating, can anyone name the pitcher who has the most home runs all time?...and I'm not looking for Babe Ruth.

"Big D" Don Drysdale was no automatic out. Don't know if he has the record, but he's likely somewhere pretty high on the list for career homers by pitcher.

PhantomOnTour
07-14-2014, 10:48 AM
"Big D" Don Drysdale was no automatic out. Don't know if he has the record, but he's likely somewhere pretty high on the list for career homers by pitcher.
Drysdale was my guess, followed by teammate Don Newcombe (who I think hit 7 homers in one season)...but the answer is some obscure guy named Wes Ferrell with 37.

Bob Lemon and Warren Spahn are next...Drysdale is 6th with 29 homers.
Newcombe is way down the list with 15, but did hit 7 in one season.
Ferrell also holds the single season record with 9.

Tor Ekman
07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Gibby was pretty good with the stick, he must have hit 18-20 homers. More recently, Mike Hampton was a good hitter. CC Sabathia would probably be somewhere on the list had he opted to stay in the NL, big boy could rake for a pitcher.

Tall One
07-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Fernando Tatis for the Cards became the only player to have hit two grand slams in one inning...Both were off LA's Chan Ho Park, who, in turn, became the only pitcher to have given up two grand slams, in the same inning, to the same player.

Thought this was interesting tidbit regarding Hernandez: His slam was against the Mets during interleague play (2008), so he became the first AL pitcher since the DH rule came down in 1973 to hit one.

mostpost
07-15-2014, 02:41 PM
On a more negative note, the Cleveland Spiders in 1899 (NL) lost 134 games. Six different times they recorded losing streaks of eleven or more games. They ended the season losing 40 of their last 41 games and finished 84 games out of first place and 35 games behind the next worst team.

Why were the Spiders so bad? They were actually pretty good the year before, finishing 81-68 and seven games out of first. Over the winter, their owners, the Robison brothers, bought the St. Louis Browns. They then transferred all the Spiders best players to the Browns. What was left in Cleveland was pretty much a sandlot team. The team folded after the season.

mostpost
07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Fella name of Young had more complete games (749) than Jim Palmer had starts (521). That is amazing.

cj's dad
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
On a more negative note, the Cleveland Spiders in 1899 (NL) lost 134 games.

Did you have season tickets or go on a game by game basis?

Valuist
07-15-2014, 06:10 PM

I don't know who holds the record but in recent times, Carlos Zambrano had hit over 20 home runs.

mostpost
07-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Did you have season tickets or go on a game by game basis?
:lol: I don't need the Cleveland Spiders. I'm a Cubs fan. :(

Tor Ekman
07-15-2014, 11:51 PM
A record that will never be broken: Johnny Vander Meer's 2 consecutive no-hitters, since it would take 3 no-no's in a row to break it. Nowadays with so much emphasis on pitch counts, I wonder who is the last pitcher to even throw 3 complete games in a row.

cj's dad
07-16-2014, 12:11 AM
This is the recoerd that will NEVER EVER BE BROKEN - NO CHANCE- NO WAY- 4 MAKE THAT4 - 20 GAME WINNERS IN ONE SEASON

In 1971, the Baltimore Orioles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles) finished first in the American League East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_League_East), with a record of 101 wins and 57 losses. As of 2013, the 1971 Orioles are the last Major League Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball) club to have four 20-game winners in a season: Jim Palmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Palmer), Dave McNally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_McNally), Mike Cuellar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Cuellar), and Pat Dobson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Dobson).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Baltimore_Orioles_season#cite_note-autogenerated1-1)

It would be a miracle to have two on the same team !!!

horses4courses
08-28-2014, 10:54 PM
SF Giant's pitcher Yusmeiro Petit broke a major league record today by retiring his 46th consecutive batter.
He couldn't stretch it any further, though, as the next Colorado Rockie doubled to left.

Still - it's an impressive feat by any standards.
The guy has been pitching lights out in relief this season,
and recently ousted the inconsistent Tim Lincecum from the starting rotation.

Unlikely to catch a strong Dodgers team for the NL West,
the Giants are in the thick of things for a wildcard spot.
They are a scrappy club with an excellent manager.
Could be upset specials in the NL playoffs :eek:

horses4courses
08-28-2014, 11:06 PM
This is the recoerd that will NEVER EVER BE BROKEN - NO CHANCE- NO WAY- 4 MAKE THAT4 - 20 GAME WINNERS IN ONE SEASON

In 1971, the Baltimore Orioles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles) finished first in the American League East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_League_East), with a record of 101 wins and 57 losses. As of 2013, the 1971 Orioles are the last Major League Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball) club to have four 20-game winners in a season: Jim Palmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Palmer), Dave McNally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_McNally), Mike Cuellar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Cuellar), and Pat Dobson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Dobson).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Baltimore_Orioles_season#cite_note-autogenerated1-1)

It would be a miracle to have two on the same team !!!

That is a record that looks untouchable. :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Yesterday Jay Bruce struck out five times on 20 pitches. Don't know if that's a record, but it would sure be hard to do worse.

Marshall Bennett
08-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Astros had 3 pitchers one year back in the 70's that each struck out over 200 in a season. Believe it was Larry Dierker, Don Wilson, and Jim Ray, but not sure. Also not sure if any other team ever had 3 or if it's even considered a record. Quite impressive none the less.

Ocala Mike
08-29-2014, 01:17 PM
How about this one?

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/yusmeiro-petit-sets-new-time-record/

Petit? Buehrle? Would have thought it might have been held by some big names, right?

Stillriledup
09-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Babe Ruth only one ONE MVP? That's hard to believe.

Tor Ekman
09-05-2014, 07:00 AM
I can't believe that Cy Young never won a Cy Young Award

Marshall Bennett
09-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Babe Ruth only one ONE MVP? That's hard to believe.
Hard to imagine that. Perhaps it was due in part from being fat and ugly. :D

Stillriledup
09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Hard to imagine that. Perhaps it was due in part from being fat and ugly. :D

Its amazing how out of all the baseball players that ever walked planet earth, a fat, cigar smoking, booze guzzling, womanizer was the best guy.

Imagine that. Babe Ruth better than Mike Trout. :D

horses4courses
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Its amazing how out of all the baseball players that ever walked planet earth, a fat, cigar smoking, booze guzzling, womanizer was the best guy.

Imagine that. Babe Ruth better than Mike Trout. :D

Awww, give Trout a few years to catch up - at least on the women and booze ;)

horses4courses
09-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Get your Babe Ruth Dodgers bobblehead - he coached for them in 1938 :lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxH5Ou0IQAA5V6r.jpg