PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments for different distances

Billnewman
06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
What is more effective? I use feet per second so with final times at different distances it smooths itself out naturally. However say 5 1/2 furlong par is 22 46.2 and 6f par is 22 45.8, should I go and subtract 2/10 of a second from all quarters of 5 1/2 furlongs and 4/10 of the second of all half's at five and half furlongs? Or should I tweak the formulas to adjust for the differences that are caused by track layout run ups whatever?

DeltaLover
06-13-2014, 07:05 PM
What is more effective? I use feet per second so with final times at different distances it smooths itself out naturally. However say 5 1/2 furlong par is 22 46.2 and 6f par is 22 45.8, should I go and subtract 2/10 of a second from all quarters of 5 1/2 furlongs and 4/10 of the second of all half's at five and half furlongs? Or should I tweak the formulas to adjust for the differences that are caused by track layout run ups whatever?

Do not overthing the problem, Beyer's description in Picking Winners is good enough..

If you want to become fancy you can use Least Squares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares)