PDA

View Full Version : NW-2 AND NW-3 CLAIMING

PIC6SIX
06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
The title races are very cheap and in my opinion almost not playable. However, has anyone on this board ever done any studies on this class of race. If so, what should I be looking for in the PPs to make my selection. Any trainer angles, layoff angles, jockey switch angles yada, yada yada. Helpful replies appreciated. Signed; Confused

cj
06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Tough races...I like to look for those where the favorite is a horse that just doesn't seem to like to win, the 1 for 24 types and such.

Royal Diamante in the 1st at CT tonight is a good example, 1-17 with multiple losses at the level already, 3 to 1 on the ML.

plainolebill
06-14-2014, 04:40 AM
I like younger, lightly raced horses that 'may' have some upside.

Like CJ said, if there are low priced horses that have been trying to get through the condition for lots of starts or took 17 shots to break their maiden, I'm looking hard at anything that may be able to lift it's hooves.

Robert Goren
06-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Generally there is a horse who beat several of the other starters in last race while running second. If there is some hot shot early speed in the race in the race you can get 7/2 or 4/1 on the horse who ran second. You ain't going to rich betting these horses, but they won't cause you to reload your ADW account either. I think at 7/2 they show an ROI of about 7 or 8%.
At minor and mid level tracks horses who won last time at a lower condition are big money burners. Not so much so at major tracks though. At minor and middle level tracks, these are their bread and butter races, so you had better figure them out if you play tracks like Tampa.

kbishop
06-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Eliminate any horse that has lost two times or more at the level, for sure if they are taking money. These types will suck your money away over the long run. Look for a dropper or a horse doing something different against these proven losers. If there's no stranger, pass.

JackS
06-17-2014, 07:46 PM
For NW2clm, look for a horse that competed well in a straight claiming race.
Also lightly raced and/or win at highest MCL level. For NW2, a horse that won for claiming 25k or above.***
***Not apt to find many of these types that competed above 25k and if you do, there's probably an injury in the horses record and an automatic toss.

Dahoss2002
06-18-2014, 03:09 AM
For NW2clm, look for a horse that competed well in a straight claiming race.

Makes me long for the good ole days. In the early 80's at Louisiana Downs, we got the "Western" edition of the DRF. They never designated NW2, NW3, etc..., just the claiming price. Made it very worthwhile to keep charts back then! :cool: Certain trainers would work that angle too, entering in open company and right back to NW2.

cj
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Makes me long for the good ole days. In the early 80's at Louisiana Downs, we got the "Western" edition of the DRF. They never designated NW2, NW3, etc..., just the claiming price. Made it very worthwhile to keep charts back then! :cool: Certain trainers would work that angle too, entering in open company and right back to NW2.

CharlesTown and Waterford were the same. Keeping results charts back in the day was a must.

Tom
06-18-2014, 12:45 PM
I used to clean house at FL doing this.
A lot of our horses went to Florida Downs for the winter, and many raced way over their heads. I would jot down whatever race conditions I could get and use them when FL opened. I would find horses dropping from open company or NW3 in 6 months NW1 in 24 months, of even "dropping" from 2500 open to 5000 nw2lt......that and no Beyers, I made my own speed and pace figs using Ainsle's guidelines and life was good!

CryingForTheHorses
06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
The title races are very cheap and in my opinion almost not playable. However, has anyone on this board ever done any studies on this class of race. If so, what should I be looking for in the PPs to make my selection. Any trainer angles, layoff angles, jockey switch angles yada, yada yada. Helpful replies appreciated. Signed; Confused

IMO..Just to confuse you a little more,nw2 and nw3 should be a stepping stone in how your horse should do in the future.IF he can win his NW2 fast and his NW3 fast then you may have a decent horse barring no injuries.The other NW2 and NW3 that are taking their time are only sealing their fate as they will always have other horses dropping down in class making it even harder for them to win.The more times your horse has to stay in this condition,The harder it is for him to win...so I would think a horse dropping down in this condition would be the one to beat,He may have a 50 beyer with msw getting beat bad but that 50 beyer would domimate nw2 class on the drop!..Like I said JMO

CryingForTheHorses
06-18-2014, 08:04 PM
I used to clean house at FL doing this.
A lot of our horses went to Florida Downs for the winter, and many raced way over their heads. I would jot down whatever race conditions I could get and use them when FL opened. I would find horses dropping from open company or NW3 in 6 months NW1 in 24 months, of even "dropping" from 2500 open to 5000 nw2lt......that and no Beyers, I made my own speed and pace figs using Ainsle's guidelines and life was good!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: