PDA

View Full Version : The Tremont Stakes?

TheEdge07
06-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Has the Tremont Stakes been cancelled it was supposed to be run on Sunday?

The Astoria is run Saturday.

cj
06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Probably no horses to fill it.

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Tremont didn't fill.

johnhannibalsmith
06-13-2014, 02:51 AM
17 noms from 9 barns and can't fill... eeks

precocity
06-13-2014, 02:57 AM
Tremont Stakes WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? A RACE IN FRANCE?

precocity
06-13-2014, 03:08 AM
WELL EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!
BELMONT PARK?
Over the years, the Tremont has been won by some of the great names in Thoroughbred racing such as U.S. Racing Hall of Fame inductees Man o' War, Sarazen, Buckpasser, Foolish Pleasure, and Alydar. :cool:

Tall One
06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Tremont didn't fill.

A traditional summer race for 2yo's, and it doesn't fill...smh.

Perhaps they'll move it to the fall, or maybe added at the Spa?

Rise Over Run
06-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Previously the complaints were that too many 2YOs were being placed into competitive races too early into the season (spring, early summer MSWs) which resulted in them not being able to compete once they fully developed (4, 5, 6 .. year olds).

It's my recollection that only two 2YO races have been held in NY so far (which IMHO is a good thing), and one of them was a Statebred Turf Sprint. So now the complaint is that a "prestigious" early-summer 2YO Stakes races won't fill. :bang: :bang: :bang:

egreen
06-13-2014, 11:45 AM
I saw on the @Derbycontenders feed that the race didn't initially fill but will be rescheduled for June 20.

OTM Al
06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
People may not realize this, but there hasn't been a Tremont run since 2008. Same as the Astoria. They were bringing back this year as overnights to try to get 2yo racing going again. Just not happening for whatever reason. Contrast to 2yo racing in Europe which will have full field Group events going next week.

cj
06-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Interesting really...horses with a good 2yo foundation seem to be much more durable and have longer careers.

ShenanigansGirl
06-13-2014, 01:26 PM
I hope the Tremont does go on the 20th, if that is the rescheduling plan. Martin Panza is definitely trying to lure fresh runners to the NYRA tracks, outside of the usual circuits (for example, the Stars and Stripes day card). It can only be beneficial for racing in general if he is successful.

BIG49010
06-13-2014, 01:38 PM
I think the 2 yr old in training sales could be messing things up. They push these horses to go a fast 1/8th of a mile in Feb - April, and the better ones are sold for huge profits to Repoli, Dogwood, Westpoint, Pletcher's, Baffs, etc and put on the shelf to heal up from the push. They tend to show up at Belmont's Fall meeting or the end of Saratoga.

Back in the good old days, horses were purchased in September, broke and put in light training similar to what Wes Ward does to capitalize on the races at Royal Ascot.

horses4courses
06-15-2014, 08:00 PM
.David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 56s
Todd Pletcher started a trend. There are 2 first-time starters in re-drawn, rescheduled 5-horse $100K Tremont Stakes to be run at BE Friday.

cj
06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
He went out of his way to card this crap?

the little guy
06-15-2014, 09:09 PM
He went out of his way to card this crap?

Let me ask you a question....do you think the racing secretary is so stupid that he thought this was a good race to run for handle? Or, maybe you think he has no idea of the effect of five horse fields, with two firsters, on handle?

Your answer to at least one of those questions has to be yes, otherwise you need to ask yourself why you posted what you did...at least without thinking first.

Whether you agree or not, the new racing director at NYRA, Martin Panza, and his racing secretary, Frank Gabriel, are trying to build something at NYRA. You don't build something by telling trainers and owners that you are going to run certain races, and then not run them when they get small fields. I'm not talking about $25K Claiming NW2L, I'm talking about ( in this case ) a 2YO Stakes program. Or maybe I am talking about turf routes ( you may have noticed we are running more of these ). But let's stick to this race. If we didn't run the Tremont and/or Astoria, and we carded them next year, nobody would take us seriously, and nobody would point for the race, and it would never go. However, now, people know we are intent on running the races we card, and over time, and it could take two or three years, these races may take root. Is it quite possible changes will be made going forward? Of course. But are you really against someone trying to build something for the future? Do you think a long term plan to try to improve racing is a bad idea? Do you think in attempting to do this no mistakes will be made?

nijinski
06-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Tremont Stakes WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? A RACE IN FRANCE?
Don't you remember him? :lol:
Major wins

Juvenile Stakes (1886)
Junior Champion Stakes (1886)
Foam Stakes (1886)
Spring Stakes (1886)
Surf Stakes (1886)
Zepher Stakes (1886)
Sequence Stakes (1886)
Paddock Stakes (1886)
June Stakes (1886)
Great Post Stakes (1886)
Good Bye Stakes (1886)
Atlantic Stakes (1886)
Tyro Stakes (1886)

Awards

American Champion 2 year Old 1886 !

precocity
06-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Don't you remember him? :lol:
Major wins

Juvenile Stakes (1886)
Junior Champion Stakes (1886)
Foam Stakes (1886)
Spring Stakes (1886)
Surf Stakes (1886)
Zepher Stakes (1886)
Sequence Stakes (1886)
Paddock Stakes (1886)
June Stakes (1886)
Great Post Stakes (1886)
Good Bye Stakes (1886)
Atlantic Stakes (1886)
Tyro Stakes (1886)

Awards

:D HELL YES NOW I DO!!!!! :D

Irish Boy
06-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Won thirteen stakes races in 10 weeks. They didn't screw around back then. Then again, he broke down as a two year old and never raced again, so there's probably a happy medium somewhere in there.

horses4courses
06-15-2014, 10:36 PM

Damn....they must have really been sweating that one on Eclipse night. ;)

Irish Boy
06-15-2014, 10:39 PM
In only slightly related news, you guys will love the story (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E00EFDA1730E132A25751C1A9659C94689ED7CF) that appeared just before Tremont's obituary. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

nijinski
06-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Won thirteen stakes races in 10 weeks. They didn't screw around back then. Then again, he broke down as a two year old and never raced again, so there's probably a happy medium somewhere in there.

Sad , he died young at stud too.

PhantomOnTour
06-15-2014, 11:12 PM
In only slightly related news, you guys will love the story (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E00EFDA1730E132A25751C1A9659C94689ED7CF) that appeared just before Tremont's obituary. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Thx for posting that.

I love reading those old racing stories :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
06-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Just don't show the story about the "disguised physique" 2yo betting coup to SRU or whizz.
They think that the game is more crooked now :lol:

cj
06-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Let me ask you a question....do you think the racing secretary is so stupid that he thought this was a good race to run for handle? Or, maybe you think he has no idea of the effect of five horse fields, with two firsters, on handle?

Your answer to at least one of those questions has to be yes, otherwise you need to ask yourself why you posted what you did...at least without thinking first.

Whether you agree or not, the new racing director at NYRA, Martin Panza, and his racing secretary, Frank Gabriel, are trying to build something at NYRA. You don't build something by telling trainers and owners that you are going to run certain races, and then not run them when they get small fields. I'm not talking about $25K Claiming NW2L, I'm talking about ( in this case ) a 2YO Stakes program. Or maybe I am talking about turf routes ( you may have noticed we are running more of these ). But let's stick to this race. If we didn't run the Tremont and/or Astoria, and we carded them next year, nobody would take us seriously, and nobody would point for the race, and it would never go. However, now, people know we are intent on running the races we card, and over time, and it could take two or three years, these races may take root. Is it quite possible changes will be made going forward? Of course. But are you really against someone trying to build something for the future? Do you think a long term plan to try to improve racing is a bad idea? Do you think in attempting to do this no mistakes will be made?

Sorry, I just see no upside to this, present or future. You guys can't fill 2yo maiden races, but a stake is a good idea? It wasn't the idea of the race, but postponing it to come back with this? The race was written, horsemen didn't fill it. They aren't owed the race when that happens. It isn't like a 5 horse field is a rare bird at Belmont these days, no need to manufacture another one.

wiffleball whizz
06-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Sorry, I just see no upside to this, present or future. You guys can't fill 2yo maiden races, but a stake is a good idea? It wasn't the idea of the race, but postponing it to come back with this? The race was written, horsemen didn't fill it. They aren't owed the race when that happens. It isn't like a 5 horse field is a rare bird at Belmont these days, no need to manufacture another one.

100 percent accurate :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

the little guy
06-15-2014, 11:40 PM
100 percent accurate :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Actually, he's wrong....but thanks for the confirmation.

cj
06-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Actually, he's wrong....but thanks for the confirmation.

Won't be first or last time, we'll see in a few years I guess.

nijinski
06-16-2014, 12:22 AM
I think we have to give them a chance , what we saw on Belmont
Day was a perfect card ! Continued success to those who put these
daily cards together . It doesn't look like an easy job !

Tom
06-16-2014, 07:29 AM
I'd rather see the 25K nw2 race that wold fill.
People are paying parking and admission TODAY to bet races. Not next year.