PDA

View Full Version : Haskell

Smarty Cide
06-10-2014, 07:02 PM
anyone here who is pointed to the Haskell?

Iv heard Commisioner but thats about it

Striker
06-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Wildcat Red and Bayern. Not sure what Social Inclusion's plans are now after the Woody Stephens but there was talk about having him run in the Haskell before last weekend.

Smarty Cide
06-10-2014, 08:22 PM
did Wildcat Red finish the derby yet?

Hoofless_Wonder
06-11-2014, 12:09 AM
FWIW, I think Shared Belief could be a major factor in the 3YO races for the rest of the year. He won't have to be much to beat most of these. The low Derby figure of 97 makes perfect sense to me for California Chrome - he bounced a bit after a strong effort in the SA Derby, then bounced forward again for a nice figure in the Preakness.

In the Belmont, the bunched pack and close finish of the top 5 finishers points to a less than steller field. A Beyer fig of 100 or 101 seems generous if anything, especially when compared with the Brooklyn.

This looks like a year where a late bloomer could dominate the division in the second half of the year, and Shared Belief could possibly fit that bill. It will also be interesting to see how California Chrome performs the rest of the year....

nijinski
06-11-2014, 02:06 AM
FWIW, I think Shared Belief could be a major factor in the 3YO races for the rest of the year. He won't have to be much to beat most of these. The low Derby figure of 97 makes perfect sense to me for California Chrome - he bounced a bit after a strong effort in the SA Derby, then bounced forward again for a nice figure in the Preakness.

In the Belmont, the bunched pack and close finish of the top 5 finishers points to a less than steller field. A Beyer fig of 100 or 101 seems generous if anything, especially when compared with the Brooklyn.

This looks like a year where a late bloomer could dominate the division in the second half of the year, and Shared Belief could possibly fit that bill. It will also be interesting to see how California Chrome performs the rest of the year....

Sherman said possibly the Pacific Classic . I thought he'd pick a soft spot to come back after his big campaign . But what do I know , lol .
I guess he'll let them know if he's ready .

Thebigguy
06-11-2014, 02:52 AM
[/B]

Sherman said possibly the Pacific Classic . I thought he'd pick a soft spot to come back after his big campaign . But what do I know , lol .

Highly doubt they go Pacific Classic. A DRF article right now says a possible fall campaign.

alhattab
06-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Highly doubt they go Pacific Classic. A DRF article right now says a possible fall campaign.

I think CC will return in whatever the Goodwood is called these days, if he comes back at all.

As for The Haskell, anyone's guess. Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite, and Haskell Day will still be a great day at the Jersey Shore!

onefast99
06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I think CC will return in whatever the Goodwood is called these days, if he comes back at all.

As for The Haskell, anyone's guess. Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite, and Haskell Day will still be a great day at the Jersey Shore!
SI's connections still pointing to the Haskell. I think you will see a trainer change as well as a rider change. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paco Lopez named the new rider. The new trainer will be a household name.

reckless
06-11-2014, 08:49 AM
SI's connections still pointing to the Haskell. I think you will see a trainer change as well as a rider change. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paco Lopez named the new rider. The new trainer will be a household name.

In the best interest of Social Inclusion, there should be an owner change first.

iceknight
06-11-2014, 09:27 AM

As for The Haskell, anyone's guess. Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite, and Haskell Day will still be a great day at the Jersey Shore!I think I will try to make a visit then :)

dilanesp
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
[/B]

The Pacific Classic is a great spot for a 3 year old, which gets a big weight break. Best Pal, General Challenge, Came Home, and Dullahan all won it as 3 year olds.

Plus, this may surprise east coast types, but I don't think most California owners and trainers think that the Haskell, Travers, or Jockey Club Gold Cup are races of any importance whatsoever. Whereas the Pacific Classic is a race everyone out here wants to win. (Plus, the Breeders' Cup is in California.)

Smarty Cide
06-12-2014, 12:53 PM

i wish they would do it on a Saturday tho..

nijinski
06-12-2014, 06:18 PM
The Pacific Classic is a great spot for a 3 year old, which gets a big weight break. Best Pal, General Challenge, Came Home, and Dullahan all won it as 3 year olds.

Plus, this may surprise east coast types, but I don't think most California owners and trainers think that the Haskell, Travers, or Jockey Club Gold Cup are races of any importance whatsoever. Whereas the Pacific Classic is a race everyone out here wants to win. (Plus, the Breeders' Cup is in California.)

Makes sense because Sherman said he wants to keep him home .

wiffleball whizz
06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
i wish they would do it on a Saturday tho..

Never in a million years will I ever figure out why the Haskell is on a Sunday.....I know up until a few years ago the hambletonian was raced on the day before the Haskell......they built it up as jerseys racing weekend

Swear to god I'm like 11/12 winning on Haskell day....saw some Friegt trains

Serena's song
Holy bull
Peace rules
Any given Saturday
Point given (best horse I've ever seen)

onefast99
06-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Never in a million years will I ever figure out why the Haskell is on a Sunday.....I know up until a few years ago the hambletonian was raced on the day before the Haskell......they built it up as jerseys racing weekend

Swear to god I'm like 11/12 winning on Haskell day....saw some Friegt trains

Serena's song
Holy bull
Peace rules
Any given Saturday
Point given (best horse I've ever seen)
Best one of recent time coal play getting run down in the final strides by Big Brown everyone thought Bravo had stolen the show!

precocity
06-12-2014, 08:16 PM
off topic never forget what they did to him! General Challenge :mad:

mostpost
06-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Betty Crocker??

nijinski
06-13-2014, 12:31 AM

just quoting what Sherman said after the Belmont .
I could live with him waiting longer , he certainly deserves it .

onefast99
06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Betty Crocker??
Maybe a Chad Brown, Todd Pletcher etc, seems like it is needed at this point.

BettinBilly
06-13-2014, 06:57 PM
did Wildcat Red finish the derby yet?

:D :ThmbUp:

He was waiting for Vicars

Smarty Cide
07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Havent heard much about the field... Wildcat Red solo race as of now.... maybe Untapable

andtheyreoff
07-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Havent heard much about the field... Wildcat Red solo race as of now.... maybe Untapable

Albano, Social Inclusion, Medal Count, Bayern, Wildcat Red, and Irish You Well are all pointing there, I do believe. Untapable is still on the fence between there and the Coaching Club...hope she goes against the males.

KingChas
07-08-2014, 10:08 PM
If she's training well good chance we will see her here.

"Bob Kulina, president of Darby Development LLC, operators of Monmouth Park Racetrack, said he has had discussions with Untapable owner Ron Winchell and trainer Steve Asmussen about bringing the filly to the Jersey Shore for the Haskell on July 27.

"If she'll take on the boys, it'll be here," Kulina said,"

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2014/07/haskell_2014_monmouth_park_making_play_for_super_f illy_untapable.html

Smarty Cide
07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Albano, Social Inclusion, Medal Count, Bayern, Wildcat Red, and Irish You Well are all pointing there, I do believe. Untapable is still on the fence between there and the Coaching Club...hope she goes against the males.

thats a pretty solid field

mountainman
07-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite

Wanna be pals?

tanner12oz
07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
I think wildcat red is Ohio derby bound

andtheyreoff
07-11-2014, 09:53 PM

While he was nominated to the Thistledown race, it's hard to think that his people would pass up a $1 million purse in favor of a $300,000 one, unless his form has nose-dived so badly he doesn't have a chance to even place in the Haskell. Not to mention a G1 win is way more prestigious than a listed race.

Racey
07-12-2014, 12:10 AM
HOPE HE IS IN THIS RACE GIVE ME 6-1

onefast99
07-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Social Inclusion working his way to the Haskell, same connections with Irad Ortiz to get the ride.

Striker
07-13-2014, 12:32 AM
While things always can change, they have targeted the Haskell with WR since he started training again in May. And after the QR stakes it appeared the plans have not changed. The quote from Garrofalo at the end says it all.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/30/4210380/wildcat-red-set-for-haskell-invitational.html

Racey
07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
must be headed to the Spa for the jim dandy

Secondbest
07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
http://www.drf.com/blogs/onward-pacific-classic

Shared Belief to stay in California

biggestal99
07-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Untapable is confirmed wowsie!

Allan

onefast99
07-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Untapable is confirmed wowsie!

Allan
7 going to the gate possible 8
untapable
albano
wildcat red
irishyouwell
encryption
justcallkenny
social inclusion
Bayern (50/50 looking at Kings Bishop)

letswastemoney
07-14-2014, 02:40 PM
7 going to the gate possible 8
untapable
albano
wildcat red
irishyouwell
encryption
justcallkenny
social inclusion
Bayern (50/50 looking at Kings Bishop)I hope Bayern goes to the King's Bishop.

FantasticDan
07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Is there a quadruple crown now? Why is the Haskell in the triple crown forum? :rolleyes:

Racey
07-14-2014, 10:02 PM
is a grade 1 million dollar race that somehow seems less than impressive

cordep17
07-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Medal Count could become one of those horses that are consistently racing at a high level on dirt for at least the next couple years.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Is there a quadruple crown now? Why is the Haskell in the triple crown forum? :rolleyes:Good point.

Smarty Cide
07-21-2014, 08:28 AM
anyone know about this just call kenny horse?

TravisVOX
07-21-2014, 09:11 AM
anyone know about this just call kenny horse?

Ran well off the layoff in prep when second and is working old school to make sure he's fit for this. Won the Spectacular Bid at GP this winter. Tough task, but has talent.

mountainman
07-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Live long and prosper.

mountainman
07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.drf.com/blogs/onward-pacific-classic

Shared Belief to stay in California

Behind the scenes, nobody much respects cc, but they ALL fear Shared Belief.

horses4courses
07-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Monmouth Park Racetrack
1 hr ·
UNTAPABLE TO ARRIVE ON THURSDAY FOR $1 MILLION WILLIAM HILL HASKELL

Untapable, who is a perfect four-for-four in 2014, put in her final breeze for Sunday’s $1 million William Hill Haskell Invitational on Monday morning and her connections plan to send the undisputed top 3-year-old filly in the country to Monmouth Park on Thursday.
Ron Winchell’s daughter of Tapit and a Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC homebred worked an easy four furlongs in 50.28 under exercise rider Mike Callaham over Saratoga’s Oklahoma training track.
“So far everything is good. She cooled out good,” said Darren Fleming, the assistant to trainer Steve Asmussen. “She’s on schedule to ship in on Thursday morning.”
Untapable, racing in all graded stakes this season, has won her outings by a combined 31 lengths and notched the Kentucky Oaks (G1) and Mother Goose Stakes (G1) in her last two starts. When she takes on a contentious field in the Haskell, it will be the filly’s first try against males, but Asmussen is no stranger to crossing that line.
In 2009, he sent Kentucky Oaks and Preakness Stakes winner Rachel Alexandra to Monmouth Park for the Haskell and she cruised to a 6-length victory on her way to Horse of the Year and champion 3-Year-Old Filly honors. Now Untapable will try to become only the third filly to win the Haskell and join Hall of Fame member Serena’s Song (1995) in the record books.
“It worked out pretty well for Rachel. There are no compunctions about sending her to the Haskell,” Fleming said.
Untapable, an earner of $1,302,725 from six wins and one third in eight starts, spent the winter at Asmussen’s base at the Fair Grounds, where she took the Rachel Alexandra Stakes (G3) and the Fair Grounds Oaks (G2). Relocating to Churchill Downs in the spring and then traveling to Belmont Park for the Mother Goose proved no problem.
“We hope she settles in good. She did when she shipped to New York,” Fleming said.
Untapable is out of Fun House, another Winchell homebred who incidentally was bred back to North America’s leading sire Tapit on the morning of the Kentucky Oaks. Fun House, termed a “superstar broodmare” by her owner, has a well-earned reputation for being all business. Like mother, like daughter.
“Untapable likes to be by herself and doesn’t like a lot of attention from people. She can be warm and fuzzy, but only when it’s her idea,” Fleming said.
Regular rider Rosie Napravnik, who was replaced in the irons for the Mother Goose by John Velazquez while she was sidelined with a shoulder injury, will be back aboard for the Haskell. In 2013, she finished second on Power Broker in the Haskell and won the $200,000 Molly Pitcher (G2) on Joyful Victory and the $150,000 Matchmaker (G3) on Starstruck on the undercard.
Likely to face the filly Untapable in the mile and an eighth Haskell are Albano, Bayern, Encryption, Irish You Well, Just Call Kenny, Medal Count, Social Inclusion and Wildcat Red. The field for this year’s 47th renewal of the Haskell will be drawn at noon on Thursday, July 24.
The William Hill Haskell will be televised live on NBC and is part of the Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” Series, with the victor getting an automatic berth to the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic at Santa Anita on Nov. 1.
A limited number of reserved Haskell seats remain available and can be purchased by calling 732-571-5563, or by visiting the reserved seat booth (2nd floor of the Grandstand) on any live racing day. In addition, fans can pre-purchase Haskell seats directly through monmouthpark.com.
Like · Comment
ClockIt EQ, Vinnie DeAngelis, Charles Simon and 33 others like this.

onefast99
07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
This will be a good race lots of early speed.

Rex Phinney
07-21-2014, 04:45 PM

I agree, getting a horse back to the running form Chrome had for a few months there is going to be difficult.

Shared Belief is a beast. most of California is hungover basking in the California Chrome kool aid. The real horsefans out here know the horse to knock him off the perch is Shared Belief.

One has to consider what it means if Shared Belief beats Game on Dude in the Pacific Classic. He will be undefeated, and having beaten a better horse than anything CC has yet seen? I'm not stating this as fact but rather posing the question.

Stillriledup
07-21-2014, 06:38 PM

They fear the unknown more than the horse. they know the horse is good, but they don't know how good and that is the unknown part.

TravisVOX
07-21-2014, 07:31 PM

What is so unimpressive about it?

tanner12oz
07-21-2014, 07:48 PM
They fear the unknown more than the horse. they know the horse is good, but they don't know how good and that is the unknown part.

Sadler is shipping candy boy into west Virginia and said flat out we ain't running vs shared belief anytime soon

Racey
07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
lol all I know is if medal count goes and I can get the 6-1 morning line or more I am all in.

Thebigguy
07-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Whats to fear?? He's not pointing to any of the normal spots. He has run at Golden Gate and Los Almitos so far this year..... He wont win the Pacific Classic.

Rex Phinney
07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Sadler is shipping candy boy into west Virginia and said flat out we ain't running vs shared belief anytime soon

I know the Los Al Derby is unheralded, and Candy Boy gets no respect, but all accounts from trainer and Jock are they had ALOT of horse for that race, and Shared Belief opens up on them.

Hope his feet hold up.

Rex Phinney
07-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Whats to fear?? He's not pointing to any of the normal spots. He has run at Golden Gate and Los Almitos so far this year..... He wont win the Pacific Classic.

Why is he not going to win the Pacific Classic?

And what constitutes a "normal spot"? Running against older foes in a race only won by a 3YO four times in the past for a $1,000,000 seems like a fine plan to me.

mountainman
07-21-2014, 11:20 PM

I didn't say he was Citation, or careening eastward to impose his will. But some major stakes races didn't fully take shape until it was certain Shared Belief would remain in cal. Don't buy everything you read, lots of things were up in the air (and some outstanding runners still up for grabs) before that point.

MargieRose
07-22-2014, 11:18 AM

"Behind the scenes, nobody much respects cc,..." ?? Any bona fide source for this blatantly blanket statement??

The best race anybody will see this year is if and when CA Chrome and Shared Belief meet up in the Breeders' Cup Classic! And, even without Shared Belief in the Classic, the world will be intently watching CA Chrome in that highly anticipated race. Who are you kidding?? :rolleyes:

BlueChip@DRF
07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Irish You Well FTW

mountainman
07-22-2014, 11:59 AM
"Behind the scenes, nobody much respects cc,..." ?? Any bona fide source for this blatantly blanket statement??

The best race anybody will see this year is if and when CA Chrome and Shared Belief meet up in the Breeders' Cup Classic! And, even without Shared Belief in the Classic, the world will be intently watching CA Chrome in that highly anticipated race. Who are you kidding?? :rolleyes:
The "world" can watch all they want, but big-time horsemen don't regard cc all that highly. How many prominent trainers have you talked with lately, by the way? ( rolls eyes until they spin)

MargieRose
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
The "world" can watch all they want, but big-time horsemen don't regard cc all that highly. How many prominent trainers have you talked with lately, by the way? ( rolls eyes until they spin)

I didn't claim to know anything about what is being said behind the scenes...you did. Again you say: "...horsemen don't regard cc all that highly." Again I'm asking, how do you know what the "big-time horsemen are thinking? Do you have any backup to your statement? I believe it is a reasonable question to ask. If you don't have a source for your as-a-matter-of-fact comment, just kindly say so, and I will take your comment as just your OPINION; no need to try to put me on the defensive.

mountainman
07-22-2014, 12:36 PM

For quite sometime now, I've been in contact with most of the players.

mountainman
07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
I didn't claim to know anything about what is being said behind the scenes...you did. Again you say: "...horsemen don't regard cc all that highly." Again I'm asking, how do you know what the "big-time horsemen are thinking? Do you have any backup to your statement? I believe it is a reasonable question to ask. If you don't have a source for your as-a-matter-of-fact comment, just kindly say so, and I will take your comment as just your OPINION; no need to try to put me on the defensive.
yes, no desire to argue...sorry if I offended you...

MargieRose
07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
For quite sometime now, I've been in contact with most of the players.

Is this one of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFy_nRXcJ9U

mountainman
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Is this one of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFy_nRXcJ9U

He and I have talked numerous times, but not this season.

MargieRose
07-22-2014, 01:28 PM
For the first time in several years, I haven't spoken personally with baffert. One of my crew did talk with his ast.

Did his assistant tell one of your crew something other than what he expresses in this TVG video; something less complimentary, possibly?

mountainman
07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Did his assistant tell one of your crew something other than what he expresses in this TVG video; something less complimentary, possibly?

of course not...they were all business and simply discussed our wv derby card...of all big-time trainers, baffert is perhaps the most down-to-earth, btw.....I couldn't respect him more....

MargieRose
07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
of course not...they were all business and simply discussed our wv derby card...of all big-time trainers, baffert is perhaps the most down-to-earth, btw.....I couldn't respect him more....

Yes, he is a great trainer and surely knows of what he speaks!! :)

Rex Phinney
07-22-2014, 04:15 PM
I didn't mention it before because I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the Awesome Again Stakes on Seot. 27 should be the race SB and CC face off.

If CC ends up running at Los Al instead it will tell you all you need to know about how good Shared Belief is.

I saw him the day of the CashCall, anyone who wants to beat him is going to have to bring their A game. Amazing to think the spring we could have had here in Socal if he hadn't inherited those damn Candy Ride feet.

Smarty Cide
07-22-2014, 08:09 PM
I didn't mention it before because I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the Awesome Again Stakes on Seot. 27 should be the race SB and CC face off.

If CC ends up running at Los Al instead it will tell you all you need to know about how good Shared Belief is.

I saw him the day of the CashCall, anyone who wants to beat him is going to have to bring their A game. Amazing to think the spring we could have had here in Socal if he hadn't inherited those damn Candy Ride feet.

id rather a nice build up and not have them face off until the breeders cup classic. maybe get untapable in it too. much better that way then a saturday in september.

i cant see untapable losing the haskell... untapable/ bayern ice cold exacta

onefast99
07-22-2014, 08:42 PM
id rather a nice build up and not have them face off until the breeders cup classic. maybe get untapable in it too. much better that way then a saturday in september.

i cant see untapable losing the haskell... untapable/ bayern ice cold exacta
You continue to travel down the same road. Ice cold or not it isn't going to be either one of those two when they hit the wire....

Smarty Cide
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
You continue to travel down the same road. Ice cold or not it isn't going to be either one of those two when they hit the wire....

well cant say i looked into it much but thats my simple minded approach

who you like? im all ears for suggestions

bayern was very impressive last time out

Racey
07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Training up a storm....he is the right horse in this spot

Smarty Cide
07-23-2014, 07:42 PM
is it just me or is the Haskell getting no love this year? no press, few articles, no real buzz. c'mon people this is a big time summer race... for example going to drf.com you wouldnt even know the haskell was this weekend

andtheyreoff
07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
is it just me or is the Haskell getting no love this year? no press, few articles, no real buzz. c'mon people this is a big time summer race... for example going to drf.com you wouldnt even know the haskell was this weekend

If you go to drf.com right now, there's two (free!) articles about the Haskell.

That being said, if I worked for Monmouth (who knows, maybe I will someday), I would definitely be pumping up the whole "filly v. the boys" angle in local media...Saratoga did it when Rachel ran in the Woodward and it definitely added a lot of buzz.

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtUnvtMCEAA9PZp.jpg

thespaah
07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
If you go to drf.com right now, there's two (free!) articles about the Haskell.

That being said, if I worked for Monmouth (who knows, maybe I will someday), I would definitely be pumping up the whole "filly v. the boys" angle in local media...Saratoga did it when Rachel ran in the Woodward and it definitely added a lot of buzz.
From the Asbury Park Press..
http://www.app.com/story/sports/columnists/stephen-edelson/2014/07/21/william-hill-haskell-invitational/12974365/

http://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2014/07/22/william-hill-haskell-invitational/13020303/

http://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2014/07/14/haskell-gets-battle-sexes-untapable/12647807/

Ya just have to know where to look.
The Press is the largest newspaper covering South Jersey..
nj.com ( flagship paper the Newark Star Ledger) also does a pretty good job as well

thespaah
07-24-2014, 02:34 PM
http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2014/07/haskell_2014_untapable_installed_as_morning-line_favorite_to_beat_the_boys.html#incart_river

A story in the Newark Star Ledger.....
www.nj.com

onefast99
07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2014/07/haskell_2014_untapable_installed_as_morning-line_favorite_to_beat_the_boys.html#incart_river

A story in the Newark Star Ledger.....
www.nj.com (http://www.nj.com)
In the past when you saw racing from MP on the top of the starting gate was a big sign showing the Haskell and the date. I don't know why they didn't put it on the starting gates this year. Last year it said William Hill Haskell with the date. There has been radio spots on cbs am for the past few days.

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
it dont help that the undercard is extremely weak

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
nice value on Wildcat Red

BlueChip@DRF
07-24-2014, 03:40 PM
nice value on Wildcat Red

Too bad it's not gonna be run at Gulfstream. :cool:

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Too bad it's not gonna be run at Gulfstream. :cool:

its not?

gonna be tough to beat untapable..

bayern is at his best around 1 turn, social inclusion turned out to be more hype then substance, medal count is a fugazi - just not quite fast enough, and the rest are a bunch of tosses.

Maybe instead of thriving at gulfstream Wildcat Red just didnt like churchill or the 1 1.4 was just too much for him.. i dont know. but he has a chance

BlueChip@DRF
07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
its not?

bayern is at his best around 1 turn, social inclusion turned out to be more hype then substance, medal count is a fugazi - just not quite fast enough, and the rest are a bunch of tosses.

Maybe instead of thriving at gulfstream Wildcat Red just didnt like churchill or the 1 1.4 was just too much for him.. i dont know. but he has a chance

Just going with a bomb - the local guy Irish You Well.

onefast99
07-24-2014, 05:38 PM
its not?

Untapable has beaten no one to date. Go bet the ranch on that one along with bayern. It's going to be Social Inclusion 1st, Medal Count 2nd and Albano coming in third. Good luck!

Rex Phinney
07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
This should be a good race, lots of names in here, lots of good horses looking to become great ones.

I think it will be someone from of the radar. Maybe Irish You well or Wildcat Red.

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Untapable has beaten no one to date. Go bet the ranch on that one along with bayern. It's going to be Social Inclusion 1st, Medal Count 2nd and Albano coming in third. Good luck!

i used to really like social inclusion but dont the fact how bad he got man handled by bayern last time out leave a bad taste in your mouth? i mean he blew his doors off

fasteddied
07-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Monmouth is a beautiful track and the Haskell is a great day, my wife and I have been going for the last 5 years now and have made it a mini 4 day vacation. You can bring in your own booze if you choose and I expect 38-40 thousand this year showing up, its a great party and if you are like me and handicap 100 days a year or more it is a great relaxing place to spend the day without getting too serious ( of course its thursday night and I am handicapping Monmouths sundays card- just printed out 47 pages-lol :D
With all that said these are some good spots to remember if you go next year, The oyster point hotel, the sitting duck bar 1/2 mile from the track, Ill be there with Juan Serey sat night, Darcys tavern in bradley beach- great Bloody marys after the beach!
Good luck Gentlemen

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Monmouth is a beautiful track and the Haskell is a great day, my wife and I have been going for the last 5 years now and have made it a mini 4 day vacation. You can bring in your own booze if you choose and I expect 38-40 thousand this year showing up, its a great party and if you are like me and handicap 100 days a year or more it is a great relaxing place to spend the day without getting too serious ( of course its thursday night and I am handicapping Monmouths sundays card- just printed out 47 pages-lol :D
With all that said these are some good spots to remember if you go next year, The oyster point hotel, the sitting duck bar 1/2 mile from the track, Ill be there with Juan Serey sat night, Darcys tavern in bradley beach- great Bloody marys after the beach!
Good luck Gentlemen

i agree its one of the most underrated tracks in the country. hell, the breeders cup was here a few years ago. i just dont get why they cant throw together a stronger card as a whole haskell day. the under card is weak.

gheuks
07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
I think the huge purses in NY hurt the undercard. I haven't seen the card, but im guessing its a lot of second tier NY horses along with the better horses throughout the mid-atlantic. The top horses are going to follow the money in New York. Pimlico had the same problem Preakness weekend.

BIG49010
07-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Seems like a hole bunch of early speed types, doesn't it set up for an off the pace horse like Irish you Well?

Smarty Cide
07-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Seems like a hole bunch of early speed types, doesn't it set up for an off the pace horse like Irish you Well?

eh i just dont think he is gonna be anywhere close.... kinda like kid cruz in the preakness. just outclassed

onefast99
07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
i used to really like social inclusion but dont the fact how bad he got man handled by bayern last time out leave a bad taste in your mouth? i mean he blew his doors off
They admitted SI shouldn't have run in the Wood. They should have stayed home in the Florida Derby. He has been mishandled, no doubt about it. Now he has been freshened up, got a lot of gate works in and may be the horse everyone thought he would be. Bayern blew everyones doors off that day, a one race wonder? Sunday will answer a lot of questions on this years 3 year old crop.

Smarty Cide
07-25-2014, 09:46 AM
or a one turn wonder

onefast99
07-25-2014, 09:48 AM
or a one turn wonder
Bayern won't get two turns SI's dad POTN did!!!

Smarty Cide
07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
wouldnt the beyers suggest untapable has just flat out ran faster then any of these colts?

onefast99
07-25-2014, 11:25 AM
wouldnt the beyers suggest untapable has just flat out ran faster then any of these colts?
Beyers are great but I wouldn't hang my hat on them ever.

Smarty Cide
07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
fair enough but no one has ran 1 1/8 in this field fast as she has... yet

im just kinda playing devils advocate here, im going to the haskell and i dont really wanna bet the chalk here but no one has given me any argument to convince me otherwise...

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2014, 11:56 AM
or a one turn wonderSuch a negative-Nancy you are on this horse...stop bringing everyone down man.... :lol:

Rex Phinney
07-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't be so easy to dismiss Bayern, one has to assume his last race was just a total freak performance. But he is fast as lightning and he is hooked up with a trainer who does well with those types.

If you have a horse like Bayern and you want to win a nice G1 race, you couldn't pick a better trainer than Baffert. Hell for that matter you couldn't pick a better race than the Haskell.

onefast99
07-28-2014, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't be so easy to dismiss Bayern, one has to assume his last race was just a total freak performance. But he is fast as lightning and he is hooked up with a trainer who does well with those types.

If you have a horse like Bayern and you want to win a nice G1 race, you couldn't pick a better trainer than Baffert. Hell for that matter you couldn't pick a better race than the Haskell.
Well said and Bayern did what he needed to got to the front easily.

Rex Phinney
07-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Well said and Bayern did what he needed to got to the front easily.

I still think he makes a better bet as a roll of the dice type horse than a sure thing. His running style is such that he really needs his A+ game to win. That being said he has brought the A+ game twice in a row now. LOL