PDA

View Full Version : 250 words: Dilbert's recommended 13 skills

DJofSD
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
http://250words.com/2014/06/dilbert-creator-scott-adams-on-13-skills-every-adult-should-acquire/

On the serious side, a good list.

And then I can see this is a good source for some more "Most Interesting Man in the World" ads.

HUSKER55
06-11-2014, 07:47 AM
and now we know how to miss the boat :D

good list

Robert Goren
06-11-2014, 08:48 AM
The thing I learned way too late is important "persuasion skill" is. I just assumed that my good work would sell itself. I was wrong. You have to sell yourself all the time.
Learning a second language is probably not enough. Learning Spanish is as important as learning English. Learning a third language will set you apart. This comes from who barely gets by with English and doesn't know more than a couple words of any other language. French is not a language anybody outside of France needs to know. The same is true of German.
Learn basic electronics. Be able to pull off the back of a computer and have some idea what you are looking at. Learn how to write code. Languages here change, but the basics stay the same or so I have been told. You can learn a new language pretty quickly if you have learned one or so I have been told. Also don't let the techs run things. This is harder than it appears. The first thing a any new tech worth his salt tries to do is make it impossible to fire him. This is a continuing war.
Golf is extremely important because so much happens the golf course. Also in this category is join a good frat house in college. Pull always wins out over push.
Good Grammar and writing skills go hand in hand. Learning to speed read is also a good idea.
There are a ton of good books out there on how business decisions are made. Yet most people insist on learning it the hard way.
Don't ever tell anybody you gamble. It is regarded as a big negative by those who don't. Fantasy Football is an exception but not Fantasy Baseball. If somebody higher up has a Fantasy Football league, try like hell to get in and try to win. It is chance show off how smart you are. But don't brag about your wins.
Just few lessons I learned late in life when I moved out of small town America and into the lower rungs of the corporate world.

Robert Goren
06-11-2014, 10:18 AM
One thing I forgot and he didn't mention. Dress well. Try to dress up notch from your co-workers. Don't over do it though. Good grooming is a must too.

tucker6
06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
One thing I forgot and he didn't mention. Dress well. Try to dress up notch from your co-workers. Don't over do it though. Good grooming is a must too.agree. People who dress well, but not overdress, get noticed and their ideas receive more play than if they are not as well groomed.

DJofSD
06-11-2014, 01:09 PM
So, IOW, style wins out over substance.

Check.

thaskalos
06-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I agreed with Dilbert...all the way up to golf.

DJofSD
06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I agreed with Dilbert...all the way up to golf.
OK, why not golf?

tucker6
06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
So, IOW, style wins out over substance.

Check.
no, good style increases the odds that you'll get a seat at the table where substance is being debated.

thaskalos
06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
OK, why not golf?

GOLF...listed as one of the 13 skills that every adult should acquire? And rated ahead of "proper grammar"?

C'mon... :)

Actor
06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
GOLF...listed as one of the 13 skills that every adult should acquire? And rated ahead of "proper grammar"?

C'mon... :)I could be wrong but I don't think the list is in any particular order. If it were I would put overcoming shyness at the top. This is not so much a skill as overcoming a handicap. I struggled with it. The big issue with shyness is that it can be perceived as aloofness or snobbery.

You can divide the list into social skills and technological skills. On the tech side I'd put accounting at the top.

Golf would be a social skill. I knew a 2nd lieutenant who tried to play golf every day. He told me he hated the game but he believed he had to master it to get ahead. His goal was to someday make general. The odds were against him because he was not a West Point grad, but he claimed to be related to one of the famous generals of WWII.

You could probably substitute something like bowling for golf but not if you want to be a C.E.O. :bang: