PDA

View Full Version : Conquered by the cell phone...

thaskalos
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
In the beginning, those of us who had cell phones usually kept them in our cars...and used them only in times of need. But life has obviously gotten much more complicated...because the cell phone has now become virtually indispensable in our daily lives. We leave the house without our cell phone...and we hurry back in the type of rush that we once reserved only for instances like forgetting our newborn child, or our wallet.

So necessary to our survival has the cell phone become, that we no longer carry it in our pocket as we walk about; we hold it in our hand. And we type into it incessantly as we wait in line at the grocery store...sit at a restaurant table...or even exercise on a stationary bike at the gym.

Which begs the question:

How were we ever able to get by without it?

TJDave
06-09-2014, 03:13 PM
I got my first cell phone as a gift from a girlfriend. She said it was a great way for us to keep in touch.

I didn't think it through.

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2014, 03:21 PM
I got my first cell phone as a gift from a girlfriend. She said it was a great way for us to keep in touch.

:lol:

Funny you started this thread, Thask, as my phone broke this weekend and I am completely out of sorts without it. Finding a new one isn't as easy as one would think. I am with Verizon and about to take my business elsewhere.
I don't have a smart phone (yeah yeah yeah, have a laugh) but wanted to get one...until they told me my data may not be transferable...whaaaaat!?
Their old machine they use to do this is broken, and in this small town there isn't another one. :faint:

AT&T (and a lower cell bill) here I come!

Clocker
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM

People used to be smarter than their phones. Apparently with the invention of smart phones, that is rarely the case any longer.

Robert Goren
06-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Smart phones are proof that we get dumber as we get older. :( :lol:

BlueShoe
06-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Ditto. :D Semi Luddite that I am, she got me my very first one in April 2013, I pay for my service. It is a basic flip phone that costs me $15 per month for 200 minutes. No smart phone, tablet, I-phone, or any other techie toy. It can text if I activate that feature for an extra charge, which I have not done. It can take a picture, but not movies, and thats about it. It is used sparingly and in a considerate manner, something not usually done by most ^)#@&! owners of these things. :mad: I could fill a very,very long post on boorish use of these damn things, as could all of you. On a few occasions have come very close to getting in a brawl with one of those male users, and women are worse, but one cannot punch a woman.

Must admit that there have been times when the gadget has come in handy. The major one is that I can make what would have been a toll or long distance call on the landline for no additional charge. Bottom line though is that I detest cell phones, and if I could press a button that would make every cell phone on the planet vanish, they would be gone in an instant. :rolleyes: The world did just fine before virtually every adult feels the need "To stay connected."

Tom
06-09-2014, 04:13 PM
I keep mine in the car and turned off most of the time.
I seldom carry it with me, unless I might need to make a call or am expeting one. Not often.

I have taken one picture with mine so far.
Other that that, I make calls and get call.

I got along just fine without one for years.
I see people on theirs all the time and I thing to myself - jerks! :D

Robert Goren
06-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Cell phones and smart phones are tools for those who want/can/need to use them. As long as they aren't driving when they are using them, more power to the users.

BettinBilly
06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I got my first cell phone in the 80's. It was a Motorola Brick. I got the Car Kit to use it in the car as well. Yea, it was sort of portable (Google Motorola Brick) back then, but you really could not "carry it" openly. More like something you had in your brief case or shoulder bag. I got my first "Smartphone" as soon as BlackBerry introduced them. I had a BlackBerry until last year when I went with the new WindowsPhone. I also have an Android and have had an iPhone.

BlackBerry was great. It was more of a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) with a phone attached than a modern Smartphone. No touch screen and a keyboard, but it was an invaluable business tool.

What did I do before Cellular and Smartphones? I can tell you exactly. I knew where EVERY "Phone from your car" payphone was on the New York State Thruway. You could see business owners and salesman with their cars pulled up to these phones at all rest stops. I also knew where payphones in hotels and stores were that were in "quiet" areas so I could make a call without too much noise.

My BlackBerry helped me build my company. I found it invaluable. What would I have doe without it? The answer is simple. I would have done without it. ;)

I love the new WindowsPhone. A computer in the palm of my hand, that happens to make phone calls. Great idea.

LottaKash
06-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I have nothing against cellphones, as I have one of the latest and greatest Smartphones, but other than making calls and taking a few snaps here and there, I don't have the need as some others do...

What irks me a bit tho, is how people have become so addicted and consumed by the new technology.....Driving, visiting, working, playing and every time in between it seems nowadays...

For instance, for Memorial Day we had a bunch of people over, and for the most part, everyone seemed to be having a good enough time, but as I looked and pondered thruout the affair, it dawned on me that probably around 75% of the people were using their cell's on a steady and ongoing basis thruout the day....

That bugged me somewhat.....What ever happened to "socializing" ?....

I left and went to do some "tomorrow's handicapping", and you know what, I wasn't even missed by most of the partiers....Only a few really noticed...

BlueShoe
06-09-2014, 06:03 PM
That bugged me somewhat.....What ever happened to "socializing" ?.....
One very disturbing thing that all of us see nearly every day is a group of young people, in their teens or perhaps early twenties, walking together or sitting, it is about the same, and every single one of them is tapping away texting, not a word being spoken. :eek: :(

In my previous post forgot to mention that the woman that gave me the cell phone is now my ex girlfriend. One of the major differences we had was her damn cell phone use. She would either flat refuse to turn it off while we were on a date, or else only do so when I absolutely insisted. Got very irritated when one of her other boyfriends would call her and she would sit there chattering away while I sat there and fumed and glared. :mad:

I am aware that most of you are married and have no idea or understanding of cell phone etiquette among dating couples, but the basic rule is that phones are off for the entire date. No making or taking calls, no texting, no checking for texts or voicemails, the device is ignored until the date is over. Some leeway may be made, such as when a couple are gong steady and are comfortable with each other, or, in the very rare instance in which a call is really important. Cell phone use during the early or middle stages of dating is telling your date that they are not important, and/or that they are boring them, or else that the user is boorish with no manners. This can be a real deal breaker, even young people that have grown up with cell phones often do not like it.

cj's dad
06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Einstein

NJ Stinks
06-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I have a cellphone like BlueShoes'. $20 a month for 200 minutes and I use about 5 of those a month. It can text but I don't. Also, no Bluetooth capability or picture taking ability either which is fine by me.

I use it so my wife can reach me. Nobody else has the number.

Really, I can't stand what these hand-held things are doing to people either. And unlike most - there are plenty of times when I don't want to hear from anybody - including in the car, at the track, or on a golf course.

One other thing. I don't have Caller ID or Call Waiting either. I enjoy being surprised when I pick up my home phone and I think Call Waiting is just plain rude.

Otherwise, I like to think I'm an easy going guy. :)

Stillriledup
06-09-2014, 07:17 PM
In the beginning, those of us who had cell phones usually kept them in our cars...and used them only in times of need. But life has obviously gotten much more complicated...because the cell phone has now become virtually indispensable in our daily lives. We leave the house without our cell phone...and we hurry back in the type of rush that we once reserved only for instances like forgetting our newborn child, or our wallet.

So necessary to our survival has the cell phone become, that we no longer carry it in our pocket as we walk about; we hold it in our hand. And we type into it incessantly as we wait in line at the grocery store...sit at a restaurant table...or even exercise on a stationary bike at the gym.

Which begs the question:

We got by without it because nobody else had one either. The question i ask myself is how did we "contact" people? I know that i'm texting this person and that person all the time, but i don't remember how i ever contacted anyone "back in the day". Did we just call them on the phone to ask them small questions? I dont remember thinking "this is such a pain, isnt there a better way".

Rookies
06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
One very disturbing thing that all of us see nearly every day is a group of young people, in their teens or perhaps early twenties, walking together or sitting, it is about the same, and every single one of them is tapping away texting, not a word being spoken. :eek: :(

In my previous post forgot to mention that the woman that gave me the cell phone is now my ex girlfriend. One of the major differences we had was her damn cell phone use. She would either flat refuse to turn it off while we were on a date, or else only do so when I absolutely insisted. Got very irritated when one of her other boyfriends would call her and she would sit there chattering away while I sat there and fumed and glared. :mad:

I am aware that most of you are married and have no idea or understanding of cell phone etiquette among dating couples, but the basic rule is that phones are off for the entire date. No making or taking calls, no texting, no checking for texts or voicemails, the device is ignored until the date is over. Some leeway may be made, such as when a couple are gong steady and are comfortable with each other, or, in the very rare instance in which a call is really important. Cell phone use during the early or middle stages of dating is telling your date that they are not important, and/or that they are boring them, or else that the user is boorish with no manners. This can be a real deal breaker, even young people that have grown up with cell phones often do not like it.

OMG! The moon is Old Blue tonight. Must be, because I completely agree. :lol:

Not a Luddite at all, but I don't own one. My son with Special Needs does, so that he can call home or work, but I rarely use it. And it is precisely because of the profound ignorance, ill manners and lack of basic human etiquette that has developed with cell phones.

Now, I'm no Miss Manners meself, but it really ticks me off to see people not conversing in social situations, especially when dining! I fell like grabbing the thing, going right to the bathroom and flushing it.

The basic problem is that no "rules" were developed when these things came out, so people generally choose rudeness and ignorance, rather than courtesy!

Greyfox
06-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Worse yet, many of these phones have surveillance devices.

A man who tells his wife that he's going out with the boys can be all over the internet pictured in the wrong place before he gets home.

Actor
06-09-2014, 10:03 PM

Which begs the question:

How were we ever able to get by without it?If you really want to get along without modern technology you can. The Amish do it.

That said I have a short list I've committed to memory of things I try not to leave home without.

Cell phone.
Keys. Without car keys I'm not going anywhere. Without house key I'm not getting back in when I get home.
Wallet.
Remote control to home security system.
Polarized sunglasses. Daytime only.
Latest addition to the list. "I've fallen and I can't get up" button. :cool:

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

thaskalos
06-09-2014, 10:22 PM

True...

And I don't even know what I need my testicles for anymore...

TJDave
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM

Must be a single guy.

Greyfox
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
True...

And I don't even know what I need my testicles for anymore...

C'mon, Thask.
You're a young man,.... compared to many of us here.
Then again," dead birds don't fall out of nests either." :D

JustRalph
06-10-2014, 12:12 AM
They are not cell phones. They are mini computers and decent cameras all in one.

The phone portion is a secondary feature.

My phone wakes me ( if I need it, not often)

My phone reminds me to take my meds (every day, only one pill, but it's important )

My phone allows me to text/communicate with my wife surreptitiously in scenarios where security is very important. This is important in a business late at night.

My phone can do GeoFencing wherein it reminds me to do things (or not do things) based on my location. This is a new thing that is kind of hard to work with, but it's getting better. Add in bar code scanning, this is interesting stuff.

When I was working in a Security Supv position in Maryland, i taught most of my officers to use their cell phones in scenarios that helped prosecute several individuals who did everything from trespass on the hospital property to commit theft offenses. They all were carrying them around anyway......using the camera and video capabilities interfaced with the security cameras was very useful.

Lots more I could cover but you're already bored.........

Marshall Bennett
06-10-2014, 12:17 AM
A friend invites you over and spends 80% of the time with their phone and the remainder with you. Happens quite often.
I keep mine in my pocket, make a few calls and receive a few. I seldom ever use the internet outside of my home. I use it often at home, but when I step outside it feels good to leave it there. Kids especially would be totally lost without their phones and that's sad. Many adults aren't much better.

JustRalph
06-10-2014, 12:35 AM
http://bit.ly/1qjaian

Ok......tossing the cell

PhantomOnTour
06-10-2014, 12:48 AM

Ok......tossing the cell
:lol:
So, if they had been successful in "recovering" the phone they were actually going to try to use it again? IOW, hold it near their mouth and against their face? Eeeewwww

Ralph, where do you find this stuff? :D

Actor
06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
And I don't even know what I need my testicles for anymore...Without them your center of gravity would be higher, you'd lose your balance and fall flat on your face.

cj's dad
06-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Ok......tossing the cell

When they were taken from the pit, would that be a form of Chinese carry out?

johnhannibalsmith
06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Young people that can't be bothered to develop any sense of punctuality love to get offended if you don't return a call, text them back, whatever... among the highlights of these ignorant machines. The best part of having a stupid cell phone is not answering when people call and then learning all about them by their reaction as though cell responses have evolved into an involuntary action and we need hospitalized if we fail to register all communication automatically.

Clocker
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Ok......tossing the cell

Just don't toss it in the river (http://www.startribune.com/local/239902971.html).

DJofSD
06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
I always laugh to myself whenever I recall that expression. That's because I learned it many years ago from a man that was my manager and became my mentor and friend.

DJofSD
06-10-2014, 12:07 PM
They are not cell phones. They are mini computers and decent cameras all in one.

The phone portion is a secondary feature.

My phone wakes me ( if I need it, not often)

My phone reminds me to take my meds (every day, only one pill, but it's important )

My phone allows me to text/communicate with my wife surreptitiously in scenarios where security is very important. This is important in a business late at night.

My phone can do GeoFencing wherein it reminds me to do things (or not do things) based on my location. This is a new thing that is kind of hard to work with, but it's getting better. Add in bar code scanning, this is interesting stuff.

When I was working in a Security Supv position in Maryland, i taught most of my officers to use their cell phones in scenarios that helped prosecute several individuals who did everything from trespass on the hospital property to commit theft offenses. They all were carrying them around anyway......using the camera and video capabilities interfaced with the security cameras was very useful.

Lots more I could cover but you're already bored.........
If there's more, continue, plz.

barn32
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
To answer the question what would we do with out the cell phone, I can remember pulling my car over to the side of the road on many occasions to make a call on a pay phone. Either that or wait till I got home --and we all seemed to get by just fine.

Most of the time it could simply wait. It can still simply wait, but we are always in a much bigger hurry these days, and we have become used to instant gratification. (Remember encyclopedias and libraries when you wanted to find out something?)

But in my opinion the television and radio are much worse. Have you ever ridden in someone's car and they are listening to music or talk radio that you can't stand?

How about going to someone's house and they are watching (or want to watch) a program you don't like, or in the case of my parents at a VERY loud volume.

Cell phones are quiet and unobtrusive by comparison. Although they can be annoying and obnoxious due to their ubiquity, they have become a necessity, at least for me, because my business demands I have a cell phone with bluetooth capability.

Without my business I could get by without one easily, and save some money to boot.

But why are we knocking technology? We use it to handicap horse races don't we?

We have come a long, long way.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mgqzxd.jpg

DJofSD
06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I look at cell phones as a necessary evil. For a long time I had use of one at different places I worked. They were the new pager. It would be used on a rare occasion for personal reasons not having anything to do with 7x24x365 support.

I finally got my own when my son was old enough to use one then he got one too. This was in case of emergencies and to eliminate having to go through the ex-wife to talk to my son.

Like others, I am anything but a Ludite. But having said that, I do not have a smart phone, and, with rare exceptions, I do not see the need for them. As JR mentioned, they're portable computers and I already do enough with computers. Besides, I refuse to descent into the depths of rude social behavior of being smart phone fixated.

Then there is the driving while distracted problem. Yes, there can be a lot of other causes for being distracted when behind the wheel. But my personal animosity against cells phones in this context is very high mainly due to coming very, very close many times to becoming vehicle #2. If I ever get into an accident and there is any possibility of a cell phone being implicated, screw the insurance companies making nice -- I'm going to take your ass to court and sue it for everything I can get.

And finally, I have a cell phone for my convenience, not yours.

BlueShoe
06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Young people that can't be bothered to develop any sense of punctuality love to get offended if you don't return a call, text them back, whatever... among the highlights of these ignorant machines. The best part of having a stupid cell phone is not answering when people call and then learning all about them by their reaction as though cell responses have evolved into an involuntary action and we need hospitalized if we fail to register all communication automatically.
Which is exactly why I refer to these techie toys as "Electronic Leashes." :rolleyes:

JustRalph
06-10-2014, 02:13 PM
If there's more, continue, plz.

Punch "smart cell phone uses" in google. Lots of stuff explained better than I can do it

The camera is often way under used.

PhantomOnTour
06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Strolled into Verizon today and totally caved when they informed me that my i-phone would cost me exactly $0.00 and they would throw in a free tablet.

Sold !

BettinBilly
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Did they lock you into another 2 year contract?

098poi
06-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Strolled into Verizon today and totally caved when they informed me that my i-phone would cost me exactly $0.00 and they would throw in a free tablet.

Sold !

The i-phone was free the contract was for 5 years and the tablet was an Extra Strength Tylenol.

PhantomOnTour
06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Did they lock you into another 2 year contract?
Yes, but I've been with them for 10yrs so no worries.
I had to do it :D