PDA

View Full Version : Studdish In Post Parade

Tara73
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I include physicality in my handicapping and my method is to eliminate certain horses regardless of form when they exhibition certain traits or act in certain ways. One rule I have is to eliminate any studdish horse in the post parade. I'm wondering how others deal with this and if it is something you ignore. Today , it worked out very well for me because I was able to eliminate a horse I liked on paper who was studdish in the paddock and the start of the post parade. I tossed Dance Champion in the 6th race who was studdish and moved the winner up in my keys for the exotics. Last week it backfired when I liked a 2 year old on paper but had to toss him for his studdish ways

For those of you who do paddock inspections how do you deal with this observation.

sammy the sage
06-08-2014, 09:58 PM
You WOODA missed the winner of the Derby & Preakness...guess he WASN'T studdish at the Belmont...

there's ALWAYS an exception to EVERY rule.... :faint:

Nosed
06-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Post Parade inspection has perplexed me for a long time. Seems sometimes it works, others not as much. I'm usually looking for horses with head up, ears up. Kind of a regal bearing, not paying too much attention to the stablemate horse. Sometimes, if the track rider is holding the reigns too close, it can be hard to see on the track monitors.

whodoyoulike
06-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I include physicality in my handicapping and my method is to eliminate certain horses regardless of form when they exhibition certain traits or act in certain ways. One rule I have is to eliminate any studdish horse in the post parade. ...

I'm unfamiliar with this term "studdish". Can you provide a description?

Thanks.

Greyfox
06-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm unfamiliar with this term "studdish". Can you provide a description?

Thanks.

I could be wrong. Well once anyways.

But if memory serves me correctly, Northern Dancer, the 1964 Kentucky Derby winner, showed up at the Queen's Plate in Ontario, Canada, after the Belmont and won it by 7.5 lengths.

By several reports, when Northern Dancer came out of his trailer to the the track, his dong was hanging out in fully out. Queen Elizabeth, present at the time and well before the race day, was blocked from seeing his disposition by various officials and stablemen.

Northern Dancer went on to be one of the greatest sires in racing.

tucker6
06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Like the Queen had never seen a horse at full salute. :rolleyes:

Greyfox
06-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Like the Queen had never seen a horse at full salute. :rolleyes:

The Duke of Edinburgh, Philip, was probably more at half mast more often than not with her dour attitude.:D

magwell
06-09-2014, 12:24 AM
"Horsing" is a bigger negative.......

Appy
06-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Did everyone quit using stud rings?

ultracapper
06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
If the jockey is loose on the reins in the parade, and his mount has his neck bowed and is generally ignoring the pony, I usually take that as a great sign.

I'm not sure what you mean by "studdish" either.

Robert Goren
06-09-2014, 10:27 AM
In the post parade, I look at the feet. If they prancing I generally toss them. Don't why it works, just know it does most of the time.

FrankieFigs
06-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Check this out. Helped me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4orHYxlL1o

bcgreg
06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
In the post parade, I look at the feet. If they prancing I generally toss them. Don't why it works, just know it does most of the time.

Pretty sure both Rachel and Zenyatta were prancers. I look for it. Different Strokes - Defferent Folks.

Robert Goren
06-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure both Rachel and Zenyatta were prancers.Could be. never say either in person. I didn't see it on TV screens. But the tracks aren't known for giving us good pictures of the post parades.

cj's dad
06-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure both Rachel and Zenyatta were prancers. I look for it. Different Strokes - Defferent Folks.

Zenyatta = Oaklawn Park-4-9-2010 pranced abd danced from the 1/8 pole up to the starting gate- it was quite a sight. She won easily BTW

Saratoga_Mike
06-09-2014, 05:43 PM
There's a reason you can smell Vick's all over when you walk around the barns at an auction.

whodoyoulike
06-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I could be wrong. Well once anyways.

But if memory serves me correctly, Northern Dancer, the 1964 Kentucky Derby winner, showed up at the Queen's Plate in Ontario, Canada, after the Belmont and won it by 7.5 lengths.

By several reports, when Northern Dancer came out of his trailer to the the track, his dong was hanging out in fully out. Queen Elizabeth, present at the time and well before the race day, was blocked from seeing his disposition by various officials and stablemen.

Northern Dancer went on to be one of the greatest sires in racing.

Thanks, I think I've got the picture. My fault, I did ask if anyone could provide a description. I consider myself a visual oriented person. And, no I've never seen a studdish horse at the track.

tanner12oz
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM

zenyatta didn't walk at all...all she did was prance, pose and the like...it was almost like watching versage

Tara73
06-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks, I think I've got the picture. My fault, I did ask if anyone could provide a description. I consider myself a visual oriented person. And, no I've never seen a studdish horse at the track.

That's surprising that you haven't seen a studdish horse at the track. It's very common. Maggie from NYRA does any excellent job pointing them out.

BIG49010
06-10-2014, 11:22 AM
The first clue I look for is when you have two people with shanks on the horse to keep him under control.

Mystic
06-10-2014, 11:44 AM
The first clue I look for is when you have two people with shanks on the horse to keep him under control.
That's not necessarily the reason for that. A lot do it just for precautionary safety for the horse. Sometimes a horse will have a reputation for rearing up a lot as well.

It's pretty common to see over seas too.