PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Christophe Clement thread

tophatmert
06-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I must have missed it.

horses4courses
06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
We'll get back to you when he trains a Derby and Preakness winner.

RaceBookJoe
06-08-2014, 02:23 PM
He doesn't need a thread, just a big thumbs up to a great job of training/placement.

horses4courses
06-08-2014, 02:25 PM
We'll get back to you when he trains a Derby and Preakness winner.

This is said tongue in cheek.
Clement is one of the sharpest trainers out there.
I never have any problem betting on one of his, especially on the lawn.

nijinski
06-08-2014, 02:35 PM
He doesn't need a thread, just a big thumbs up to a great job of training/placement.

So true , he really does a great job handling grass/synth runners and
barn is usually filled with these types of runners.
Yesterday was good day to prove he is not limited with the right horse .
Tonalist btw was no piece of cake . Slow to mature , frog problems and
a lung infection at the wrong time .
So you have to give credit to Clement getting him to this point in great
shape !

Robert Fischer
06-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Before excuses are accounted for from each runner, his horse ran much the best in the Belmont. Breaking from post 11, he ran 67! more feet than Commissioner who had a brilliant ride and a dream trip, and happened to be very well trained into the Belmont himself.

To have a big horse like that overcome the foot issues and still carry his form is a major training feat.

Yes, Tonalist is a regally bred stud of a race horse for Owner Evans, but there are lot's of high quality race horses that never show the classic distance ability of a horse like Tonalist.

He has now raced three times against adversity, with two wins and a second to show for it.

He's a complete race horse who is surprisingly tactical for a classic-distance grinder. Provided he stays healthy, Clement will have a player in the major races later this year.

Valuist
06-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I must have missed it.

There was a thread about Tonalist and I specifically mentioned that Clement does a great job getting horses to win long races. You must've missed it.

tophatmert
06-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Before excuses are accounted for from each runner, his horse ran much the best in the Belmont. Breaking from post 11, he ran 67! more feet than Commissioner who had a brilliant ride and a dream trip, and happened to be very well trained into the Belmont himself.

To have a big horse like that overcome the foot issues and still carry his form is a major training feat.

Yes, Tonalist is a regally bred stud of a race horse for Owner Evans, but there are lot's of high quality race horses that never show the classic distance ability of a horse like Tonalist.

He has now raced three times against adversity, with two wins and a second to show for it.

He's a complete race horse who is surprisingly tactical for a classic-distance grinder. Provided he stays healthy, Clement will have a player in the major races later this year.

Bayern and Tonalist both fast from the beginning of their careers and probably going to develop more. Cal Chrome might be as fast as he is going to get. I am confident that Tonalist will get handled properly throughout the year, not quite sure about the other two.

ILovetheInner
06-08-2014, 03:14 PM
I am a big admirer of Clement....it's hard to play NY and not be. He's been getting more dirt bred 2yos and doing very well with them...it's not as if the bettors don't know it, for his firsters have been getting consistently bet and showing good speed. I am very glad for him to win this, as I know he doesn't want to only be known as that "really good turf trainer." He's much more than that and I hope for him this win times with the success he has been having with his babies, and bring some interesting horses his way. They would be in amazing hands.

Evans is a good owner also, and it's sad to me that only being a "little person" makes you a human interest story. He's a very patient owner and I think it would have been very nice for him to have won the race that denied his father the Triple Crown....from a Pleasant Colony mare no less, who Tonalist resembles a lot more than Tapit.

Very nice work to have this colt ready. For all Coburn's whining, this colt showed his inexperience in the Peter Pan, was in amongst some very seasoned warriors, had missed training, picking up 9 lbs to stretch out to a grueling distance from an outside draw. He was stunningly prepared for this race by people who don't churn through horses simply to get one in the starting gate. I know the now apparently retired Secret Agent Man was certain this was a second tier horse. Were he, he never would have started in this race. That is not how these connections operate.

Rosario rode the horse to win and as if he would stay the trip. Very nice effort. Happy for all.

tophatmert
06-08-2014, 03:18 PM
There was a thread about Tonalist and I specifically mentioned that Clement does a great job getting horses to win long races. You must've missed it.
I did miss that and knew that some mention had been made of him here but I was just commenting in general. In an unrelated story , I stopped by Arlington Trackside on Friday and was talking to Glen Santucci about the great Saturday card at Belmont and he told me that he and Martin Panza were roommates senior year of college. I asked him if he could get us a day like this at AP. I got no answer but maybe they can find me an old Velcro Arlington Park wallet instead.

Saratoga_Mike
06-08-2014, 04:51 PM
This is said tongue in cheek.
Clement is one of the sharpest trainers out there.
I never have any problem betting on one of his, especially on the lawn.

And one of the cleanest records - I think he and Motion have never had any post-race positives.

ArlJim78
06-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Top notch outfit, one of the elite trainers in the country. Used to think of him only as a top turf trainer, but he's much more than that these days. I give a long look to all his runners.

Robert Goren
06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
He does pretty well with first time in the USA imports from Europe.

Tom
06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
And one of the cleanest records - I think he and Motion have never had any post-race positives.

Seriously?
How is that some can do it and some can't?

elhelmete
06-08-2014, 05:59 PM

I agree completely. I'm not thrilled CC got beat, but at least it was by a real horse, and not 2014's Da'Tara or Sarava.

horses4courses
06-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Seriously?
How is that some can do it and some can't?

Brings to mind the old Smith Barney commercial
"They do it the old fashioned way...."

Seems like there should be some incentive program
for trainers to keep things clean.

nijinski
06-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Speaking Of Which
He just won the Monmouth Stakes !
Great weekend for the CC stable , the other CC . lol.

Robert Goren
06-09-2014, 07:44 AM
I agree completely. I'm not thrilled CC got beat, but at least it was by a real horse, and not 2014's Da'Tara or Sarava.That is yet to be determined.

Valuist
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I did miss that and knew that some mention had been made of him here but I was just commenting in general. In an unrelated story , I stopped by Arlington Trackside on Friday and was talking to Glen Santucci about the great Saturday card at Belmont and he told me that he and Martin Panza were roommates senior year of college. I asked him if he could get us a day like this at AP. I got no answer but maybe they can find me an old Velcro Arlington Park wallet instead.

I know Glen well but was not aware of that. His brother Rich was mentioned in a thread here not long ago about pace and bias adjusted figures.

tophatmert
06-09-2014, 01:07 PM
I know Glen well but was not aware of that. His brother Rich was mentioned in a thread here not long ago about pace and bias adjusted figures.
I learned a lot about handicapping in the late eighties and early nineties at AP Trackside and the Chicago tracks. The Thorograph boys, Rich and his group of guys , and the guy I sat with for a few years Laz C. , there were some people you could learn from. I learned so much about thoroughness and diligence from these guys.