PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Saturday 6/7/2014

MeSlew
06-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Hello All! Saturday June 7th features what many are calling the finest non-Breeders Cup card ever. That is of course, a reference to the Belmont Stakes day card at Beautiful Belmont Park.

As for Slew, here are the races for Saturday which have caught Slew's ever vigilant silicon eye:

Belmont - 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13
Monmouth - 8,9,10
Churchill - 3,6,8,9,10
Gulfstream - 2,5,6,7,8,9,10
SantaAnita - 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
Woodbine - 6,7,9
Pimlico - 8,9,10
Arlington - 3,7,9,10,11
Parx - 4,9,10

As for Key Horses, I'll note two for Saturday:

My Miss Sophia - Bel ( 6) GP 02/09/14 # 5
Kochees - SA ( 3) SA 01/17/14 # 7

My Miss Sophia's only defeat was at the hands of Untapable at Churchill Downs in the Kentucky Oaks. For the talented daughter of Unbridled's Song, this is nothing to be ashamed of. She returns for trainer Todd "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13" Pletcher who may be setting a world record for entries. Javier Castellano is aboard once again and must deal with likely pace setters Fashion Plate (Gary Stevens) and Fiftyshadesofgold (Mike Smith). I'll also note that the 3rd place finisher in the Oaks was Unbridled Forever (Joel Rosario), who is starting from the stall immediately to Sophia's inside. Immediately to her outside is the only horse on Slew's list for this race, Artemis Agrotera (J.L. Ortiz). Rosario rode the 4th place finisher in the Oaks, Rosalind. He bumps Robby Albarado to get on Unbridled Forever.

Kochees is a kind of special case. An acquaintance of mine who is a player of trotters, dabbles in a few flat races from time to time. He noted to me last year that he thought this horse had some potential so I placed him on my list to keep an eye on him. He appears now to have some chops after a rough start to the year and shows up in a 40K OCN1x at Santa Anita under the tack of Edwin Maldonado for trainer Shaun Morrow. This 4 year old son of Lion Heart came alive when moved off the turf on May 17, and stays on dirt once again with a 5-2 ML tag. He will have to contend with Seeking the West ridden by Joe Talamo, who is having a decent spring meet and riding quite well of late. That one could lead the pack into the final turn as Kochees appears to appreciate a target to run at.

If you read my blog entry on the Belmont Stakes, you know I have taken a vow of silence and will not say the name of a particular horse running in the big race tomorrow...for all the marbles. Marbles that were put into storage in 1978 and haven't seen the light of day since. Oddly enough, Slew's list doesn't have an entry for race 11 at Belmont Park on June 7, 2014...and I take that as some sort of omen. It appears that the silicon Slew won't say his name either. That (not) said, he is coming into this race in terrific form, great shape, has added over an inch to his girth over these last 5 tough weeks, his copper coat looks like it radiates the sun instead of reflects it, and all systems appear to be a go. I just hope the ol' Belmont grandstand doesn't crack when the earth shakes.

Finally, we'll get to enjoy the call of the Belmont for one last time by the great Tom Durkin, who will retire this summer. How cool would it be to write him into a page of racing history?

Very cool, indeed.

So we hope that they all come home safe, and you enjoy what shapes up to be a stellar day of racing.

Good luck and good 'capping!