PDA

View Full Version : PA's Poll

Tom
12-27-2001, 05:09 PM
I am surprised to see that so many people think Tizznow is hore of the year. He missed most of it.
I think there are claimers out there more deserving of the honor - may they dind't run with the best, but they ran with their own week in week out and did there best.
To each his own, but I am not imporessed with Tizznow in the least. He shows up at the end of the year after everyone is spent, burnt out or already retiered.
Chicken of the year, maybe, but horse of the year???
Not that it matters, you can't cash on this race.
JMHO,
Tom

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2001, 05:40 PM
He (Tiznow) beat (supposedly) the best field of the year....PG never faced older horses. One can conjecture all one wants that PG would have whipped the older horse division this year...but he didn't.

My memory is suspect right now in the post-Christmas haze, but did any of the 3yos Point Given left in his wake come back to do anything against older??

==PA

Observer
12-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Speaking as someone who is a fan of both horses, I have to admit, I too am a little suprised at the overwhelming support for Tiznow in the early stages of the current poll.

True, Point Given never met older horses, and you could make a case that possibly Point Given was beating up on a bunch of overmatched rivals. However, he won races of such prestige, not just once or twice, he did it numerous times, all in a year when horses in every other division were taking turns beating each other while showing a severe lack of consistency. And, consider why his competition seemed so severely overmatched and lacking, because on his best days, Point Given was just that good, making it look much too easy.

Point Given began his year with a victory in the G2 San Felipe, followed with five Grade I wins, including the G1 Santa Anita Derby, a rebound to turn the tables on Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos in the G1 Preakness, an awesome display in the G1 Belmont, again defeated Monarchos, followed by a win with a surprise entry into the G1 Haskell, which had its purse increased as incentive, then capped with a romp in the G1 Travers just three weeks later after speculation he might not even take the journey back east.

Yes, Point Given lost the Kentucky Derby, and many have made their excuses for him. Like him or not, almost every single horse to step foot onto a racetrack has disappointed in at least one race, leaving the fans and bettors scratching their heads in bewilderment.

As for Tiznow, though he capped his year with a tremendous display of courage and heart in a dazzling display not soon to be forgotten, it was a year spent mostly on the bench nursing a back ailment.

The flashy dark bay got off to a good start to 2001, taking the G2 San Fernando, but was upset by Wooden Phone next out in the G2 Strub. He rebounded in a big way to take the G1 Santa Anita Handicap with complete authority March 3, but then was not heard from again until running a gritty third behind Lido Palace in the G1 Woodward six months later, coming back from the edge of retirement. Shipped back to California, he was again third, running behind Freedom Crest in the G2 Goodwood.

Finally, Tiznow put it all together on the right day, and beat a solid field assembled for the Classic, becoming the first horse to repeat as the winner by doing so in back to back years. But, honestly, how solid was this field? Tiznow beat a European turf star, who many questioned the choice of trying dirt prior to the big event, and was followed by a group of horses that did not offer much confidence to backers. Any of them on their best day was good, but the questions always remained, "was this the day?" and "are they for real?" Bottom line, though, this was pretty much the best the game had to offer for Oct. 27, 2001, and Tiznow was up to the challenge, despite the lack of support going into the race.

No question on his best day Tiznow is a tremendous racehorse with the courage so few have. But, his win in the Classic last year should not assist in his becoming Horse of the Year this year. Yes, he was the first to become a repeat Classic winner, but let's remember, in the grand scheme of things, the Breeders' Cup is still a relatively young event.

Let's also remember the turmoil the older horse division was in throughout the entire year. Maybe the three-year-olds didn't make much of an impact against those older horses, but they also didn't make an impact against Point Given.

Taking a look back at the Breeders' Cup Classic, we find very few three-year-olds even in the race. The best showing was from Macho Uno, who ran fourth, and had not even seen Point Given after winning the Breeders' Cup Juvenile in 2000 by a whisker over the late-charging Point Given. The other three-year-olds in the Classic were Europeans Galileo and Black Minnaloushe, and the ambitiously placed Orientate, who looked to be a serious sprinter this past summer at Saratoga. Let's also remember the big flop 4-year-old Aptitude took in the Classic after appearing to finally be the real deal, confirming just how fickle the older horses were.

Very few horses in any of the divisions showed consistency this year, but Point Given, regardless of what you thought about the competition he was facing, didn't take turns. He showed up in all but one race this year, one race that kept him from being only the 12th Triple Crown winner. Like him or not, Point Given brought excitement back to the races, with huge turn outs for a Belmont Stakes with no Triple Crown on the line, and record crowds at Monmouth for the Haskell and at Saratoga for the Travers.

No, Horse of the Year should not be given out to a crowd favorite, but it's hard to dismiss the electricity that Point Given brought back to the game, if only for a brief time. And while Tiznow's Classic was definitely charged with excitement, Horse of the Year should not be given on the basis of just one race, with that one race tying back to a performance from a year not even in question.

The repeated accomplishments of Point Given should not be overlooked for the one accomplishment of Tiznow, for it is this one race, the Breeders' Cup Classic, that has launched him to Horse of the Year consideration.

As I already said, I am a fan of both horses, and loved watching them both, but in my opinion, it would be an injustice if Tiznow were crowned Horse of the Year over Point Given.

Tom
12-27-2001, 07:28 PM
I don't recall any 3YO doing anything of any great shakes other than Point Given this year. PG might have been lucky to catch this lousy crop, but at least he did everyhting he was supposed to do, except the Derby, and then he wasn't that bad in it, considering the fractions. I just think "of the year" is the operative phrase, which is why I still think the honor should focus on the whole year, not one race.
But, everyone has an opinion, or else everything would be 1-5 and we'd all be broke. ~G~

Tom

sq764
12-27-2001, 10:06 PM
I think that its quite tough to pick between the 2. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Tiznow's victory had a few added 'boosts' to it:

1) It was in the Classic
2) It was an unbelievable performance
3) (Helped by Durkin) He won one 'for the Americans'

It almost seemed as if Tiznow saved face for America by winning the race.

Just my opinion..

Scott

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2001, 10:36 PM
A lot of emotional intangibles associated with Tiznow's win, which is why Point Given probably SHOULD get the award based on season merit. The Point Given camp has a much larger leg to stand on then us Tiznow folks....oh well....

==PA

Some_One
12-28-2001, 02:54 AM
Remember what you're talking about here: Horse of the YEAR and not horse of the last "Saturday of October". Basically from the start of the year to Aug 25th and the Travers, Point Given was the most dominate horse in America (excluding the Derby). Tiznow won 3 races early in the year against some weak fields, missed 6 months, lost his 2 preps and then got lucky (IMO) in the classic. I think HOY should easily go to Point Given

Que
12-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Nice post Observer--you have me convinced.

Que.

Observer
01-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks Que.

FortuneHunter
01-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Point Given

The ONLY horse to capture four consecutive 1 Million Dollar races, ever.

Preakness
Belmont (Non Triple Crown Belmont attendance record)
Haskell (Monmouth attendance record)
Travers (Saratoga attendance record)

Point Given is Horse of the Year