PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Friday, June 6, 2014

Teach
06-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Race One:

In this maiden-special sprint on a "good" turf course (the start is everything), it's tough to gauge who will "beat" the gate and dart out for the lead. I tend to dismiss, at least in this case, both the "inside" #1 and "outside" #7 horses. That leaves me with five horses. I'm giving my tepid, lukewarm nod to :2: Spanish Armada. Call it a hunch, but as a former history teacher, I like the name...and the colt's solid turf pedigree. You can add to that the dynamic duo of Javier Castellano and Todd Pletcher.

Others worthy of consideration: :3: Sunset Glow; :4: Crown The Kitten; :5: The Truth Or Else.

Race Two

In this 6 furlongs Claimer, n3L I'm leaning toward two horses. #s 3 and 6.
I'm going to cast my lot with :6: Tempered Threat. In large part, because I like the riding skills of Jose Ortiz. Trainer Gary Gullo's having a solid meet. The gelding may go for the lead and would benefit from any residual moisture. However, I'd prefer if he came off the tailgate (lotsa early speed). :3: Reggie D might prefer a bit more distance, his only recent win, April 5 against weaker, came at 6 and 1/2 furlongs. That said, if the speed up front burns itself out, this gelding could be one of those mounting a late charge.

Also: :4: Ten Items Or Less; :5: Harlan's Hello.

Race Three

:3: In The Dark gets my nod in this claiming sprint, n2L. Dropped into the selling ranks last time and did little, albeit at a higher level. Switches now to the most capable Jose Lezcano. Any residual moisture would help this Forestry-bred colt.

Also: :7: Acigarisjustacigar; :1: Whatabouthonor; :5: Pillar of Strength

Race Four

:9: Quiet Sunshine has been razor sharp of late. Did stretch out two races back and couldn't handle the extra panel, now back at six furlongs, preferred distance. Should prevail with solid handling.

Also: :8: First Penny; :6: Twillerbee; :1: Queen Nine

Race Five:

:1: Lady Kreesa just missed in last; can make amends with "TheHall of amer," Johnny Velasquez in this maiden-special turf route. The extra 'tenth should help.

Also: :9: Chasing Paradise; :5: Confessa; :3: Keep Right

Race Six

:7: Sheriffa fits well in the state-bred allowance company. Should benefit from outside starting post and the service of Joel Rosario. Has hit the tote in four out of five lifetime starts.

:1a: Saythreehailmary's (scratched out of yesterday's card); :6: Bridgetta :3: Official

Race Seven:

:5: Shaikha has been a bridesmaid in half of her turf starts. Today, the 4-year old Slew City Slew-bred filly might just "catch the garter". Solid combo of Jose Lezcano and Jeremiah Englehart.

Also: :8: Zuma Moon; :1: Send THe Limo; :4: Quarla

Race Eight:

:1: Oration will benefit from a hedge-skimming trip and can go all the way. Joe Bravo for Christophe Clement

Also: :10: Escapist: :8: Shore Runner; :4: Father Johns Pride

Race Nine

In the Grade 2 True North :8: Bakken threw in a clunker on "boxing day" at Santa Anita. Can make amends here, shortens up a panel.

Also: :3: Dads Caps; :4: Integrity; :7: Palace

Race Ten:

Two Miles On The Turf, Belmont Gold Cup. :11: Twilight Escape gets my nod in the finale. You can toss out the UAE race in March. On his best this gelding should take it.

Also: :8: Draw Two; :7: Auld Alliance; :3: Charming Kitten

KidCapper
06-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Good Luck today Teach!

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 01:45 PM
hello prof!

R2:

:4: TEN ITEMS OR LESS: progressive while placed at his true level by Bruce Brown.

:8: FROM THE POINTS: another progressive over fast dirt (Beyers: 41 > 55 > 66)

NP & 2nd ($13.20 - 8.40)

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
R3:

a $7.500 buy :3: IN THE DARK drops to a realistic level. Had excuses last two runs (turf with 100% dirt pedegree, and too high a level for him (allw1)

1st ($6.40)

Teach
06-06-2014, 02:29 PM
My heart skipped a beat when he stumbled coming out of the gate.

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
he was much the best

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 02:45 PM
R4:

Englehart is strong in the second after the layoff (24%) and there is a posibility of an uncontested lead for :1: QUEEN NINE, who likes Belmont.

1st ($5.80)

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
R5:

:1: LADY KREESA - :4: ROSE QUARTZ (looks ver fit in the paddock)

1st ($3.20) & NP

it was your turn this one!

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
R6:

:3: OFFICIAL, with closing ability...

NP

the pace wasn't so quick (22.3 > 46.1)

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
R7:

:12: WINNE BURGLER moves from Hess Jr to Bruce Brown barn and returns to the claiming ranks, his territory. Enough to get a belated victory.

1st ($6.90)

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
R8:

:3: PROFLUENT: turf pedegree pick

NP

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 05:21 PM
R9:

:8: BAKKEN: the speed of the speed

2nd

The Spaniard
06-06-2014, 06:06 PM
10:

:9: EAGLE POISE: tons of stamina
:7: AULD ALLIANCE: tons of stamina

It's been everything but a marathon, kind of mile and a 1/4 run at a slow pace. The winner is a mile and 1/8 horse.