6) Owens 4 world records
7) Gretzky 215 pts
8) Bobby Jones Slam
9) Carlton 27 wins
10) Wilt 100 pt game

PhantomOnTour
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Matty had one thing right:

he said Ted Williams is the greatest hitter who ever lived, and I agree.

Stillriledup
06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Matty had one thing right:

he said Ted Williams is the greatest hitter who ever lived, and I agree.

I'm very skeptical of "Feats" from "back in the day"

All the "best" individual feats seem to happened half a century ago or more. The Williams, Ruth, Dimaggio stuff would never happen today....even the Cy Young records....so i think there's a "Curve" that needs to be applied..Ruth was an overweight, drinking, smoking womanizer who stayed out late plenty of times, if you took Mike Trout, as is or Miguel Cabrera and put them in a time machine and let them hit vs 1927 pitching, would they ever get those guys out? There was no real relief pitching, so you got to see the same tired arm 3 or 4 times a game, you didnt have lefty lefty righty righty "matchups" you didnt have black players, it was mostly white guys with jobs and so on and so forth.

So, there has to be a "Curve" to really put these records into context, i dont want to take all of them on face value.

PhantomOnTour
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
And if you gave Ted Williams PED's he would have hit .450 :lol:
Sac flys were outs back in the day, so they calculated his avg at about .419 in 1941.

TED WILLIAMS I said!

Zydeco
06-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm very skeptical of "Feats" from "back in the day"

All the "best" individual feats seem to happened half a century ago or more. The Williams, Ruth, Dimaggio stuff would never happen today....even the Cy Young records....so i think there's a "Curve" that needs to be applied..Ruth was an overweight, drinking, smoking womanizer who stayed out late plenty of times, if you took Mike Trout, as is or Miguel Cabrera and put them in a time machine and let them hit vs 1927 pitching, would they ever get those guys out? There was no real relief pitching, so you got to see the same tired arm 3 or 4 times a game, you didnt have lefty lefty righty righty "matchups" you didnt have black players, it was mostly white guys with jobs and so on and so forth.

So, there has to be a "Curve" to really put these records into context, i dont want to take all of them on face value.

if Cabrera or Trout hit in 1927 ,,,,they would be facing the 28th best pitcher in their league every fourth day.....(7 other teams with a every fourth day start for the pitchers) Today,,you have 14 other teams in the league with a 5 man starting rotation,,,,,they are pounding the 50th to 70th pitcher in their league.....not even close

Zydeco
06-05-2014, 09:21 PM
And if you gave Ted Williams PED's he would have hit .450 :lol:
Sac flys were outs back in the day, so they calculated his avg at about .419 in 1941.

TED WILLIAMS I said!

"Ted, if you were playing today what do you think you would hit? Williams."About .325..but you have to remember I am 57 years old!! " lol

Stillriledup
06-05-2014, 10:19 PM
if Cabrera or Trout hit in 1927 ,,,,they would be facing the 28th best pitcher in their league every fourth day.....(7 other teams with a every fourth day start for the pitchers) Today,,you have 14 other teams in the league with a 5 man starting rotation,,,,,they are pounding the 50th to 70th pitcher in their league.....not even close

Yeah, but who WAS the 28th best pitcher? Some guy flipping burgers in the offesason? Also, they usually only get 2 cracks at the 50 to 70th best pitcher, than they have 2 cracks at a matchup relief guy tossing 95 on the black.

goatchaser
06-06-2014, 02:34 AM
Funny they can put Carlton's 27 win season..And I know he was on a terrible team..But leave off Denny Mclain's 30 win Season or even Nolan Ryan's career 5,714 strikeouts. Anyways....Those guys are usually off base on alot of things

ManU918
06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Ty Cobb hit over .400 twice so I don't know how Ted Williams hitting over .400 is on their list and Cobb isn't... Doesn't make much sense to me.

Marshall Bennett
06-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Perhaps he should have phrased it "last to hit .400" . Nothing there with regards to boxing either. Clay/Liston I, Ali/Frazier I, Ali/Foreman just to name a few.

Johnny V
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
What about Rogers Hornsby who batted over .400 twice and batted .424 and also won the Triple Crown twice. I guess the argument can be made that he was the best right handed hitter of all time. These lists are very subjective and while fun to discuss they really settle nothing. It is tough to compare different eras and as time goes on there are just so many more moments and events in different sports to consider. But it is fun and we have our opinions.
Sometimes you have to look at more than just the stats and records. For example, what Babe Ruth did for the sport of baseball alone puts him in a class by himself.

TJDave
06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Jesse Owens should be #1. What he did in a space of less than 1 hour is incredible.

Stillriledup
06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
You know, what about individual feats, not "Career boxscore" feats?

How about the Bo Jackson "throw". You know the one i mean, with Harold Reynolds getting tossed out at the plate. Could THAT be on the list of greatest sports feats? Its not something you see every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBJIyD7wDdc

Marshall Bennett
06-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Harvey Haddix, 12 perfect innings, even if he did lose in the 13th. :)

cj's dad
06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Marichal wins with a 16 inning shutout while Spahn gives up the winning run with 1 oit in the bottom of the 16th, Incredible !

The game only took 4:10

pandy
06-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Ty Cobb hit over .400 twice so I don't know how Ted Williams hitting over .400 is on their list and Cobb isn't... Doesn't make much sense to me.

To me, the reason why someone like Ted Williams, and others, like Joe D, and Ruth, were better hitters than a guy like Cobb is the power. Cobb slapped the ball around and was a fast runner. These guys belted the ball, and when you swing for the fences, it's much tougher to get hits. They are better hitters than guys like Hornsby and Cobb. However, both Cobb and Hornsby were certainly great players, no doubt about it.

Marshall Bennett
06-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Marichal wins with a 16 inning shutout while Spahn gives up the winning run with 1 oit in the bottom of the 16th, Incredible !

The game only took 4:10
Then likely pitched again with 3 or 4 days rest. :D

goatchaser
06-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Reggie Jackson's blast in the All Star game. Longest ball Iv'e ever seen hit.