PDA

View Full Version : The other CC: Commanding Curve

FantasticDan
06-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Not seeing too much discussion of this guy, despite his Derby finish, and the fact that he has the breeding to relish the mile and a half. By accounts I've read, he's training better coming into the Belmont than he did at Churchill, and Dallas Stewart says he simply, "never gets tired".

ML is 15/1, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him bet down lower..

boys at tosconova
06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
this horse should have received more attention in the derby. little was separating the outside posts there. people couldn;t wait to throw money down on intense holiday, ROC and wicked, while ignoring this horse, who was sitting on big race, at big odds..and he delivered.

now you get much lower odds against the same perceived better horses, and they will all have better posts this time around.

Valuist
06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm kicking myself for not hitting the exacta in the Derby, but I really think that was the time to have him. While Danza was body slamming Wicked Strong and Medal Count in the stretch, Commanding Curve stayed clear of the WWE theatrics and got up for second.

But historically, those deep closing runners in the Derby don't seem to do well 5 weeks later in New York.

SecretAgentMan
06-05-2014, 12:33 PM
He's more like Golden Soul from the same trainer, he's definitely no Victory Gallop.......

Robert Fischer
06-05-2014, 12:37 PM
I pretty much agree word-for-word with Valuist here.

California Chrome used his superior tactical speed and got a good trip and ran away from the "cloud" of mayhem.

Commanding Curve ran around them and had a great setup as far as running around that herd of horses worked out.

I do think Commanding Curve has some quality. Great trip or not, he has some closing ability for a decent sized run. Physically, he's a nice big healthy horse.

A lot of times a horse like Curve can be well-suited to come up and get 3rd in the Belmont, while 2 horses run off to contend in the stretch for the win, and the rest of the forwardly placed pace all toils to a slow grind.

Redboard
06-05-2014, 02:00 PM
I like this horse. Steadily improving speed figures. Five week rest. If there’s a pace meltdown, and I fully expecting there to be one, he could very well win this and at a juicy 15-1, yum. Even if there’s no meltdown, he has a good chance of hitting the board IMO. The trainer is a plus. Has more starts in the Belmont Stakes than any other in the race this century, except for Pletcher.
Sure, on paper, it looks like there’s not much speed in the race, but , we all know how that works. The genius connections will see that and half of them will try to steal it on the front end(see 2006, Bafert’s Bob and John).

Mr G
06-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Commanding Curve was my key horse for 1st and 2nd in the Derby and as of this moment, Thursday afternoon, he will also be my key horse for 1st and 2nd once again..and maybe for 3rd too...

With that said I feel the two horses to beat are C.Chrome and Wicked Strong but I like Commanding Curve, Medal Count, Samraat, General a Rod & Ride on Curlin

nijinski
06-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Not seeing too much discussion of this guy, despite his Derby finish, and the fact that he has the breeding to relish the mile and a half. By accounts I've read, he's training better coming into the Belmont than he did at Churchill, and Dallas Stewart says he simply, "never gets tired".

ML is 15/1, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him bet down lower..

Speaking of breeding , I would like to see Commanding Curve do well
for his sire's sake . Master Command was still a very young sire when
he was seriously injured in a freak accident . He was only in his third
year of breeding at age 8 and was Euthanized .
Kind of brings me back to Union Rags and his sire .

zico20
06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Has anyone considered the fact that Curve is best at CD and mediocre everywhere else? I need to see him run a big race other than CD. Also, he is such a deep closer who got a perfect trip in the Derby. Not saying he can't hit the board, but I won't be putting him in the first two slots. 3rd or 4th is as high as I go on him.

Boris
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Simple question, if they ran for another 25 seconds in the Derby, what would have happened?

Mr G
06-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Simple question, if they ran for another 25 seconds in the Derby, what would have happened?

I feel Commanding Curve would have won.

I had Curve 1st and 2nd in Tri's and exactas and was happy with the result but as soon as thy crossed the finish line I said to myself " just missed " ..and the tri would have been HUGE if Curve won even with Chrome 2nd.

depalma113
06-05-2014, 11:07 PM
I feel Commanding Curve would have won.

I had Curve 1st and 2nd and was happy with the result but as soon as the reace was over I said to myself " he almost won it,,just ran out of room" ..and the tri would have been HUGE if Curve won even with Chrome 2nd.

This is such nonsense. He ran out of room because California Chrome ran to win a mile and a quarter race not a race any longer.

FantasticDan
06-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Advanced wagering was light today, but Curve is currently the 2nd choice at 6/1 :eek:

Some_One
06-07-2014, 12:26 AM

That logic worked out well for you with Ice Box and Dullahan?

ArlJim78
06-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Orb, Mine That Bird, Monarchos