PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Updates

Longshot
06-05-2014, 09:52 AM
My son sent me the link below that claims that Windows XP updates will be available until 2019. Would some of you more computer knowledgeable
members let me know your thoughts on this before I try it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-get-windows-xp-security-updates-until-april-2019/

DJofSD
06-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, I might give this a spin after the Belmont Stakes has been run.

Has any one actually done this?

As an aside, I really would like to see these so called security updates to be described better and differently. It seems like anything that is changed to any part of the base part of the operating system is a security fix. But that's just me.

Tom
06-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Has any one actually done this?

Anyone that still has access to the net, that is? :rolleyes:

Rats! right after I bought a W7 machine.

DJofSD
06-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Anyone that still has access to the net, that is? :rolleyes:

Rats! right after I bought a W7 machine.
Don't have any remorse, Tom.

The process documented at the link is a trick, it basically tells a lie to the Update process. How well and how long that lie will work is not known.

You are better off having a stock/plain vanilla system instead of one that could go off the tracks at any time, and, going off the tracks could be very subtle or catastrophic.

And to take it to the nth degree, I'd say it is a fraud both on a licensing and a technical support level.

The EULA you are working under for the original XP installation is not the same as one for the POS version.

And, from the technical perspective, you can not say absolutely that Windows XP SP3 will have exactly everything the same as the POS version. There is a reason why there a two different flavors of XP, one is the consumers version and POS is the commercial version for "embedded" uses. There very well could be something that is updated which is meant for a POS version which might not work on the consumer version.

Tom
06-05-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure my computer is a POS version.;)

whodoyoulike
06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I still don't understand how or when my Windows XP computer can get infected. I've stopped using it for emails or on-line banking. I no longer visit questionable websites (at least using this computer). But, I continue to use it to visit this site, DRF, ADW, a couple of other log-in sites (which I've used for years) and I browse CNBC, Marketwatch etc., financial type sites.

Am I still at risk?

I have the wireless security enabled when connected. And, I've started to disable my internet connection when I'm away from the computer.

Thanks.

DJofSD
06-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure my computer is a POS version.;)
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
I was waiting for some one to pick up on that.

DJofSD
06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I still don't understand how or when my Windows XP computer can get infected. I've stopped using it for emails or on-line banking. I no longer visit questionable websites (at least using this computer). But, I continue to use it to visit this site, DRF, ADW, a couple of other log-in sites (which I've used for years) and I browse CNBC, Marketwatch etc., financial type sites.

Am I still at risk?

I have the wireless security enabled when connected. And, I've started to disable my internet connection when I'm away from the computer.

Thanks.
A way but not the only way malware gets onto a computer is via an error. The error could be when an app is running or something Windows is doing which causes an error. The error happens but you don't necessarily see it. If the error is bad enough, yes, your app might crash or catch the error then tell you something is wrong.

The popular error to exploit is a stack overflow error.

The issue with XP updates no longer being installed is there no longer is a way for the XP system to prevent these errors. Part of what the bad guys do is to find ways to make the OS have these stack overflow errors then to exploit them.

The other side of the problem with stack overflow is what cause it to happen. It could be IE or some other piece of software. As long as those apps are receiving maintenance then the easy exploits are removed from those malware writers. That is the reason why we constantly are told to keep the software, including the OS, up to date -- it closes holes or shuts windows (no pun intended) that otherwise would make it easier for any malware to get a foothold.

So the main problem is you might be getting updates for somethings on your XP system but a critical part of that security equation, the operating system itself, is not being updated. When holes are found in the future, Microsoft will not be closing those holes.

LAN and WiFi security is the same as a moat around the castle. It is necessary and good. But you need to have protection for the draw bridge, the gate and the buildings inside the walls. That's what the other pieces of protection S/W provide.

Like what is said in one of my favorite movies, No Country for Old Men, it's not just the one thing.

The problem with some web sites is the exploitation of problems in Java, Adobe Flash and others. A good browser with a good fire wall and A/V software should offer more than adequate protection. Chances are good if you ever were to stumble upon a web site that was harboring malware, one of those pieces would notify you before anything bad happened.

Not using XP for anything sensitive like online purchases and banking is good. Some might pooh-pooh it but, hey, it's you money and problem if something goes wrong, IOW, better safe than sorry. Just because they don't have any problems (that they're aware of) does not me you'll be as fortunate. Besides, if something goes wrong, are they going to help you out when it does? I don't think so.

As far as email goes, the one single thing you can do to protect yourself: do not use/open any attachments from any one you do not know and trust. There are other precautions but that is the main one. Again, a good A/V app will be able to scan the attachments for you. It is not an absolute protection but it will be good for 99.999% of the time. Keep the A/V software up to date will help keep you safe.

There's nothing wrong with disconnecting from the LAN/internet when not needed. It has it's pluses and minuses. It does offer another degree of security -- how much is not clear, but, if it helps you sleep at night, that's fine.

whodoyoulike
06-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

DJofSD
06-05-2014, 02:21 PM
NP. I hope it was understandable.

Marshall Bennett
06-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Wonder if it's necessary to update java if your system is working okay? I've heard that some people that had issues with the current update.

whodoyoulike
06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
NP. I hope it was understandable.

Thanks again, you were very clear and also the other time I made an inquiry. But, I really like my XP!

Now, I'm wondering what would be the odds of getting an unknown addressed malware? Is it 3-1, 10-1 or 50-1? I've hit some 20 - 1 or 30 - 1 but, never a 50 -1.