PDA

View Full Version : Chrome with most impressive TC ever??

uncbossfan
06-04-2014, 08:25 PM
If CC wins Saturday, he will have beaten the largest Belmont field in TC history. Previous record is only an 8 horse field done twice.

I need to look again, but I am pretty certain if he wins Sat as well, he would've beaten more combined horses in the 3 starts than any other TC winner.

I know we knock today's quality, but he is at least racing/beating full fields. Look back at count fleets TC. He beat 7 horses combined the last 2 legs. Multiple winners faced 4 horse Belmont fields.

If he pulls it off Sat, the facts above make this stretch he's on even that much more incredible. Good luck CC!!

Edited to say I don't believe it's the most impressive ever, but you could argue based on above logic.

Dark Horse
06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
If CC wins Saturday, he will have beaten the largest Belmont field in TC history. Previous record is only an 8 horse field done twice.

I need to look again, but I am pretty certain if he wins Sat as well, he would've beaten more combined horses in the 3 starts than any other TC winner.

I know we knock today's quality, but he is at least racing/beating full fields. Look back at count fleets TC. He beat 7 horses combined the last 2 legs. Multiple winners faced 4 horse Belmont fields.

If he pulls it off Sat, the facts above make this stretch he's on even that much more incredible. Good luck CC!!

Edited to say I don't believe it's the most impressive ever, but you could argue based on above logic.

The greatness of the TC winner increases with the passage of years, probably because cynics have a shorter memory, in all likelihood due to the fact that another negative has caught their attention, so they drop away leaving only the admirers. ;)

mostpost
06-04-2014, 10:42 PM

Count Fleet beat five horses combined in the last two legs of his Triple Crown.
Don't forget Count Fleet was one of the three horses who ran in the Belmont and one of the four horses who ran in the Preakness. Also, Citation faced his biggest Triple Crown field in the Belmont-eight starters including himself.

HuggingTheRail
06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Pleassssse run the race already.......

Dahoss2002
06-05-2014, 01:31 AM
If he wins the triple crown then great. Just boggles my mind that no one from the Derby that finished in the top 8 went to Pimlico to challenge him.

wiffleball whizz
06-05-2014, 02:23 AM
So I get buried for 2 pages on a thread.....and this gets a pass???

I don't get it

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2014, 02:30 AM
I don't get itLet's see...a thread about the merits of a possible Chrome TC win vs. a thread pondering what they would do if some natural or unnatural disaster forces the cancellation of the race.

And you wonder? :lol:

Rex Phinney
06-05-2014, 03:10 AM
I don't know if we should call it the most difficult ever. What I do know is the landscape has changed in 36 years. Horses skipping Pimlico to come back fresh in New York is far more prevelant now. This makes it harder.

20 horses in the derby every year causing traffic to be a total roll of the dice is a big deal too. To make it thru now you have to have the best horse AND get thru traffic AND get lucky, all this just to get the first leg.

Those two items make the triple crown much harder now than it was before. This does not at all though mean that if he wins he is better than other triple crown winners, just that he had a harder road.

clocker7
06-05-2014, 03:11 AM
I'm looking forward to this race as being one of he funnest of the recent years. It's a completely open race and a crapshoot, with so many storylines that even the jaded media have been won over for a few weeks. It could even be historic.

What makes it even more interesting is the lineup of lightly-raced competitors, several of whom could turn out to be anybody over time.

Right now, there are solid posters here raving over the Met Mile, to he point of calling it the real feature of the day. Okay, it's going to be a good race. But if you look at the lineup, it is composed of horses that bloomed late and--imo--were a cut below the Belmont lineup at this point in their respective careers. Now, if people can get all that giddy about those guys going a mile, then they should really be able to get their daubers up for what everbody else is excited about.

Think back to last year, and what the resumes of Palace Malice and Will Take Charge looked like at this point in time. I think that bunch in the 2014 Belmont matches up well with what those oldsters had managed to do.

BlueChip@DRF
06-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Maybe there is a reason why a TC has never been won with a field of 9+?

depalma113
06-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Maybe there is a reason why a TC has never been won with a field of 9+?

That ends Saturday.

GaryG
06-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Small fields are due to many being scared off by the "big horse". Not so this year. He has certainly done all required, but those bloodlines just don't look like a Belmont winner. A friend of mine's handicapping philosophy can be summed up as "more trips, less breeding". I have been leaning that way myself in recent years.

wiffleball whizz
06-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Let's see...a thread about the merits of a possible Chrome TC win vs. a thread pondering what they would do if some natural or unnatural disaster forces the cancellation of the race.

And you wonder? :lol:

Yes I can see the debates starting Sunday morning that chrome is better then secretariat......the 3 length score Saturday will put all the secretariat videos out to pasture.....ya know the Belmont romp and that huge move in the preakness will never be seen again :lol: :lol:

Where is smarty cide sitting for the belmont we can all have a drink before CC becomes immortal.....and he will win....

I can easily see a point given type win or afleet Alex.....if I could get 4/1 on a 10 legth CC win I'd get down in a heart beat

mostpost
06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
It's a completely open race and a crapshoot,
You can't be serious. Oh, you mean for second! Good call.

clocker7
06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
You can't be serious. Oh, you mean for second! Good call.
There are strong entries besides CC here. They all were among those that were not yielding ground in the last part of the stretch in the past two outings. 12f is a whole nuther animal for all of these, and is completely unpredictable. There are a lot of factors working in CC's favor, and he has earned favoritism. But 12f puts everything that has gone before into some genuine doubt.

SecretAgentMan
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
There are strong entries besides CC here. They all were among those that were not yielding ground in the last part of the stretch in the past two outings. 12f is a whole nuther animal for all of these, and is completely unpredictable. There are a lot of factors working in CC's favor, and he has earned favoritism. But 12f puts everything that has gone before into some genuine doubt.

So who are you wagering on? And how comfy are you wagering against Chrome?

banacek
06-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Yes, under these circumstances:

1. If Chrome sets a track record in all 3 races (41 years later still holding).
2. If Chrome has to beat an arch rival in all three races (e.g. Sham, Alydar) who would have won the triple crown any other year.

devilsbag
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Poor Sir Barton had to walk from Churchill Downs to Pimlico, without shoes and uphill the entire trip, and only with four days between races. From Pimlico to Belmont his connections finally took the train, but forced him into the Withers Stakes to cover the fare.

luisbe
06-05-2014, 11:17 PM

You could have added 90 more horses in 1973 Belmont with the same result.