PDA

View Full Version : TVG running a "Beaten by the Chrome" deal for Belmont - and a Commemorative Ticket

BettinBilly
06-04-2014, 06:53 PM
TVG is doing a "Beaten by the Chrome" special for Belmont.
Bet up to $25 on any horse to WIN against Chrome, and if Chrome wins and your horse PLACES, you get the $25 refunded.

I know it's not a big deal, but I have to hand it to the TVG marketing and special promotions department for the effort.

They are also offering an "Emailed" Commemorative Ticket if you bet $2.00 to WIN on Chrome.

Shelby
06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Wow. I hadn't seen that promo yet. I wonder who insures them? I thought they probably lost some money with the last promo that gave better odds on Chrome, but I guess not.

ultracapper
06-04-2014, 07:49 PM
$25 win on Wicked Strong

$25 Ex CC/WS

Thanks TVG. You just took all the gamble out of my play. If WS wins...Bingo. If Chrome beats him....Bingo.

Redboard
06-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Wow. I hadn't seen that promo yet. I wonder who insures them? I thought they probably lost some money with the last promo that gave better odds on Chrome, but I guess not.They probably did or they'd be giving out fixed odds on CC for Belmont.

Hoofless_Wonder
06-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Wow. I hadn't seen that promo yet. I wonder who insures them? I thought they probably lost some money with the last promo that gave better odds on Chrome, but I guess not.

Why would they need insurance? They're paying even money for one out of 10 horses to run second, and only if Chrome wins.

The worst they could do is if Wicked Strong runs second to Chrome. They refund the $25 win bets on him, but he only represents 20% or so of the other win bets. Even with the higher signal fee that Belmont charges for the day, the "extra" handle this promotion achieves probably still has them only losing 10% of that. And if one of the bombs runs second, they're money ahead.

And most importantly, since I think Chrome gets beat, this is pretty clever promotion at that.....

Redboard
06-05-2014, 12:15 AM
$25 win on Wicked Strong

$25 Ex CC/WS

Thanks TVG. You just took all the gamble out of my play. If WS wins...Bingo. If Chrome beats him....Bingo.

Interesting. Although, an exacta with an odds-on fav over the second choice won’t pay much. You are already getting your money back if WS comes in second on the win bet. Why not just bet $50 to win on WS, at least you are getting 6-1 on that(assuming he goes off at his ML odds), and your $50 back if he comes in second to CC.
If you really like the CC/WS exacta, you could make it a trifecta and put some value at the bottom. E.g., CC/WS/ Commanding Curve, Matterhorn, General a Rod . An $8 trifecta (total $24) would IMO, worst case, pay 60-1 or around $500.
I’m looking at the results of the 2007 Belmont where the trifecta paid 65-1 with 3 out of the top 4 favorites in it. Rags/Curlin/ Tiago . And that was only a seven horse field.

ultracapper
06-05-2014, 12:58 AM
You only get up to $25 back if Chrome beats your horse. The trifecta is a very good idea. I posted real quick when I saw the thread. May think on this more. You may be able to structure something where you play 2 or 3 of the longer horses for $25 to win, and protect your investment with some vertical exotics, knowing you'll get a portion of your win money back if one of them comes in 2nd, and of course, Chrome wins. To fiddle with this, you really have to like Chrome.

This maybe opens up some opportunities. Have to think on this. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've bet the Belmont. Afleet Alex maybe was the last time, and that was probably the first time in a decade before that. I really liked that horse.

ultracapper
06-05-2014, 01:04 AM
And you could use it to protect P3 and P4 tickets. Instead of using some of the longer prices in the Belmont in a P3, you can single Chrome, and bet the ones you tossed for $25 to win. If Chrome wins and beats one of yours, you're still alive on your horizontal ticket, and get $25 back, or if there is an upset in the Belmont, you lose a cheaper P3,P4 ticket, but pick up the win ticket.

Hmmm.

BombsAway Bob
06-05-2014, 01:59 AM
You only get up to $25 back if Chrome beats your horse. The trifecta is a very good idea. I posted real quick when I saw the thread. May think on this more. You may be able to structure something where you play 2 or 3 of the longer horses for $25 to win, and protect your investment with some vertical exotics, knowing you'll get a portion of your win money back if one of them comes in 2nd, and of course, Chrome wins. To fiddle with this, you really have to like Chrome.

This maybe opens up some opportunities. Have to think on this. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've bet the Belmont. Afleet Alex maybe was the last time, and that was probably the first time in a decade before that. I really liked that horse.
Note: Only your FIRST Win bet of up to $25 is refunded
if #BeatenByTheChrome!

upthecreek
06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
They probably did or they'd be giving out fixed odds on CC for Belmont.

I heard Todd S and Matt C both say it cost TVG over $100,000 on the KD promo

ultracapper
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Only your first win bet. The game gets harder.

SecretAgentMan
06-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Nice.......but I'm sure they have it covered one way or another.

ultracapper
06-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Do they just pay off out of their bank account? I haven't done the math, but is there a possibility that they can leverage themselves by matching each win bet with a corresponding place, show, or exacta bet? Interesting to think what they might do behind the scenes.

goatchaser
06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Their just hoping word spreads and people say, I can't pass this up, I'm going to open an account.

goatchaser
06-06-2014, 10:56 AM
What about the Preakness? I went ahead and put 25 on Chrome and they gave me 3/2 on him