PDA

View Full Version : What if Belmont had to cancel Saturday

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Dumb thread alert....

What if there were unforeseen circumstances Saturday and Belmont had to cancel there card...?? What would be done

50 mph winds lightning all day.....no lights what would happen?

I remember when mine that bird win the derby there were tornado watches all over the place....

What would happen here if they had to cancel?

81 and sunny Saturday I understand that.....

Rex Phinney
06-03-2014, 05:03 PM
This thread tells me it's definitely time to get to the race already, there is nothing left to discuss..

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2014, 05:09 PM
This thread tells me it's definitely time to get to the race already, there is nothing left to discuss..

Agree :ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
06-03-2014, 05:13 PM
funny I was thinking the same thing. obviously we've run out of things to talk about when it comes to this.

098poi
06-03-2014, 05:14 PM
What if Belmont had to cancel Saturday?

Reality as we know it would cease to exist.

wiffleball whizz
06-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Anybody remember the travers 2 or 3 years ago when hurricane Irene hit a day or 2 later? What if it hit that saturdAy does the travers get pushed back?

And I realize guys it's not a probability I'm just wondering....

Thebigguy
06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Dumb thread alert....

What if there were unforeseen circumstances Saturday and Belmont had to cancel there card...?? What would be done

50 mph winds lightning all day.....no lights what would happen?

I remember when mine that bird win the derby there were tornado watches all over the place....

81 and sunny Saturday I understand that.....

Is your real name Walt Gekko?? Trying to get it moved to a Sunday?

Longshot6977
06-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Dumb thread alert....

Just like Y2K, planes would fall from the sky, ships would crash into each other, computers would stop working etc. LOL. You asked for it Wiffle. :lol:

jk3521
06-03-2014, 06:50 PM
If the world ends before Saturday , will the race be rescheduled in heaven? :faint: :faint: :faint: :bang: :bang: :bang: Oh Brother!

Dark Horse
06-03-2014, 07:55 PM
We would have the race in a parallel universe. And Chrome would not be called Chrome.

gheuks
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
What would happen if a jock was hurt and could not be moved from a horse that stumbled out of the gate and the race had to be stopped? I always wondered how this would be handled in a triple crown race.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Where's devilsbag when you need him?

Fudge
06-03-2014, 10:35 PM
He would be called Rust. :D

davew
06-04-2014, 01:44 AM
What would happen if a jock was hurt and could not be moved from a horse that stumbled out of the gate and the race had to be stopped? I always wondered how this would be handled in a triple crown race.

What was the big race a couple years ago in Dubai that was stopped and re-ran later in the card?

therussmeister
06-04-2014, 02:06 AM
What would happen if a horse was in front by 10 lengths at the finish, but stumbles badly right at the line, tossing the jockey, and the photo finish shows the jockey is completely off the horse at the line, except the toe of his right foot is touching the top of the horses head. Would he be ruled to be still on the horse and declared a winner?

wiffleball whizz
06-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Lots of hypothetical what ifs....

I've seen threads pose dumber questions then this one....

magwell
06-04-2014, 08:27 AM

I've seen threads pose dumber questions then this one...........:lol:

davew
06-04-2014, 08:43 AM

I've seen threads pose dumber questions then this one....

Yes, lots of speculation here - you should just call up Belmont and get their answer than report back to us.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2014, 09:13 AM

I've seen threads pose dumber questions then this one....I guess some sort of congratulations are in order then, no?

See you Saturday...

devilsbag
06-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Where's devilsbag when you need him?

As PA knows, the NYRA Board of Trustees were in agreement that this race must take place no matter what, so a contingency plan has been established.

In the event that the Belmont Stakes cannot be contested at Belmont Park on Saturday afternoon, as a result of a man made or natural disaster, the race will be moved to Yonkers Raceway on Saturday evening. A dry run was held last night and by all accounts it was a success.

The only blip was when Dinny Phipps left his voucher in a slot machine and started throwing chairs when he couldn't find it. Meanwhile, Bobby Flay held an impromptu throwdown challenge in the Empire Terrace, with Herve "Filet Mignon" Filion as one of the judges. Some thought his vote had been decided before the contest began.

Bob Costas will be working the NHL playoffs that night, so Spencer Ross would host the NBC telecast. Considering his nighttime experience at Turfway Park, the network announcer would be Mike Battaglia in place of Larry Collmus.

The most interesting part was editing the script for a half mile oval. Hearing Tom Durkin rehearse was really emotional. I will not give away the ending, but if the race does get moved, expect to hear, "California Chrome enters the stretch for the third time to the roar of 120 patrons..."

wiffleball whizz
06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
As PA knows, the NYRA Board of Trustees were in agreement that this race must take place no matter what, so a contingency plan has been established.

In the event that the Belmont Stakes cannot be contested at Belmont Park on Saturday afternoon, as a result of a man made or natural disaster, the race will be moved to Yonkers Raceway on Saturday evening. A dry run was held last night and by all accounts it was a success.

The only blip was when Dinny Phipps left his voucher in a slot machine and started throwing chairs when he couldn't find it. Meanwhile, Bobby Flay held an impromptu throwdown challenge in the Empire Terrace, with Herve "Filet Mignon" Filion as one of the judges. Some thought his vote had been decided before the contest began.

Bob Costas will be working the NHL playoffs that night, so Spencer Ross would host the NBC telecast. Considering his nighttime experience at Turfway Park, the network announcer would be Mike Battaglia in place of Larry Collmus.

The most interesting part was editing the script for a half mile oval. Hearing Tom Durkin rehearse was really emotional. I will not give away the ending, but if the race does get moved, expect to hear, "California Chrome enters the stretch for the third time to the roar of 120 patrons..."

Post of the year!!!!!

Valuist
06-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Wasn't it a pretty hard storm when Empire Maker beat Funny Cide? And it was a monsoon at Churchill when Smarty Jones won the Derby. I don't know if the storm hit yet, but when Birdstone won the Travers, the sky was basically black.

Smarty Cide
06-04-2014, 02:41 PM
umm.... nevermind

wiffleball whizz
06-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Everybody is a wise ass......try and ask a question and have been getting butchered ever since.....

Going forward I'm gonna take the TLG approach and be a sniper when I see dumb threads/posts....

On a side note pretty exited to meet PA and tanner12oz on Saturday I'll be adding at least 2 members to my list of people I met....

HUSKER55
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
suppose the vet scratches every entry except chrome.......

i win! i win!

:D :jump: :p

onefast99
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I always wondered what would happen if pace had a clemency day where the banned posters could once again rise above it all and be heard. I would like to see posts just once more from mad scientist how CC's owners got royally screwed by the MTA when their subway got stuck in the tunnel for three hours. Or how CC is going to be named the horse of the year before the Belmont. So I propose a what if pace has a clemency day....http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/mugshot-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/mugshot-emoticon-2023.html)

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Everybody is a wise ass......try and ask a question and have been getting butchered ever since.....Oh come on...you actually thought this kind of thread wouldn't go over like a lead balloon? After Mad Scientist, the tolerance level for this kind of thing is almost nil.... :lol:

SandyW
06-04-2014, 06:01 PM
What would happen if a horse was in front by 10 lengths at the finish, but stumbles badly right at the line, tossing the jockey, and the photo finish shows the jockey is completely off the horse at the line, except the toe of his right foot is touching the top of the horses head. Would he be ruled to be still on the horse and declared a winner?

The answer is Yes, as long as the jockey did not touch the ground and still had contact with the horse.

It already has happened, but I would have to do a lot of searching to find the video.

onefast99
06-04-2014, 07:47 PM
The answer is Yes, as long as the jockey did not touch the ground and still had contact with the horse.

It already has happened, but I would have to do a lot of searching to find the video.
narrow your search down to Jose Lezcano at Monmouth Park somewhere in the 2003-2008 range.