PDA

View Full Version : IND 3rd

banacek
06-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Scary start to the 3rd at IND. Gate opens and it looks one of the gate crew is basically in front of a horse (#7).so .the 7 get away very poorly, but rallies for second.

I hope the man the horse hit is okay..meanwhile a very long time (20 minutes?) since the race ended and the stewards are still looking at it.

Declared non-starter and I haven't heard any mention about the man from the gate crew yet.

Track Phantom
06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Scary start to the 3rd at IND. Gate opens and it looks one of the gate crew is basically in front of a horse (#7).so .the 7 get away very poorly, but rallies for second.

I hope the man the horse hit is okay..meanwhile a very long time (20 minutes?) since the race ended and the stewards are still looking at it.

I just saw the race. I was just thinking the other day that I was curious that the starters don't let the gate open early by mistake more. I don't know what their vantage point is but it would seem an easy mistake to make.

The guy flipped the switch just as the 7 was starting to enter the gate. The gate crew guy could have been killed. Whew....

Stillriledup
06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I guess you have to refund that horse, but her getting that poor start compromised how the race was run from a pace standpoint.

Do you refund the entire race to be fair to all the horseplayers?

Tracks don't ever refund the entire race, but a lot of times, the compromised start affects the flow of the race, you can get an entirely different result if a pace presser or speed horse doesn't get out of the gate.

PhantomOnTour
06-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Last year at FG they opened the gate before the last starter had even entered.
I always thought it was dangerous to have a guy in front like that.