PDA

View Full Version : PEDs back?

Valuist
06-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Other than Chris Davis of the Orioles last year, we saw HR numbers down across baseball. 36 HRs led the NL in 2013.

This year, Nelson Cruz is on pace for 59 HRs and Edwin Encarnacion is on pace for 53. Stanton, playing in the spacious Marlins park, is on pace for 46.

Last year, we saw an unreal streak of unders last summer, which coincided right around the time of the suspensions for A-Rod and Braun.

Looks like it could be back to business as usual.

Marshall Bennett
06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Seems they'd be fools to test the waters so soon unless a new way to mask it is around. Griffey Jr. hit 59 and he seemed to be clean, at least in appearance anyway.

TheEdge07
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Other than Chris Davis of the Orioles last year, we saw HR numbers down across baseball. 36 HRs led the NL in 2013.

This year, Nelson Cruz is on pace for 59 HRs and Edwin Encarnacion is on pace for 53. Stanton, playing in the spacious Marlins park, is on pace for 46.

Last year, we saw an unreal streak of unders last summer, which coincided right around the time of the suspensions for A-Rod and Braun.

They never left

Valuist
06-02-2014, 12:28 PM
They never left

Many of us believe they did last year. Huge scoring drought last summer. About 65% of the games went under the total for a two month period. And it started right around the time the big suspensions were handed out.

Its not my theory, and the evidence is all circumstantial, but its definitely a possibility.

HoofedInTheChest
06-02-2014, 03:05 PM
I find it unlikely that any of the Jays are using PED's, MLB has been targeting the Jays sluggers for years, it comes as no surprise with the amount of HR's the Jays smash out of the park. If my memory serves me correctly, Bautista was tested 15 times in one season as well as the other power hitters. Either they are using undetectable drugs or they are just late bloomers, i tend to go with the latter. I think Melky has learned his lesson, mind you he is hitting the crap out of the ball this year, mostly singles and doubles though.

Who knows for sure until they get caught.

Stillriledup
06-02-2014, 03:13 PM

You know they say the "cheats" are always one step ahead of the testers. I think we would all be pretty naive to think that Baseball is a 100% "clean" sport. After all, its an entertainment organization and what better way to "entertain" paying customers than to see players hit the ball 400 feet instead of 300?

Baseball doesn't want a clean game because when the game is clean, players are 'less good'. Players run slower, jump lower and hit the ball less far.

I do think that rash of injuries and guys not able to stay on the field has to do with players who used to take roids but are not not taking them anymore.

Valuist
06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I forgot about Abreu. He missed 14 games due to injury so if you take his 17 HRs/46 games played, and project out to 148 games, he's at between 54 and 55 home runs.

As for the earlier comment about the Jays, right now the focus isn't on Bautista. It should be on Encarnacion, who's turned into a modern day Ruth after a number of modest years in Cincinnati.

HoofedInTheChest
06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
As for the earlier comment about the Jays, right now the focus isn't on Bautista. It should be on Encarnacion, who's turned into a modern day Ruth after a number of modest years in Cincinnati.
The turnaround for Edwin was when his fellow countrymen Robinson Cano introduced him to his hitting instructor back in the Dominican Republic. They re-worked his hitting mechanics over the winter and he returned the next season a changed man. The HR' didn't come immediately, he was hitting for an improved average, but as time went by the HR' started to increase. Working with Cito Gaston certainly made a difference with a lot of the Jays hitters as well, and this season Kevin Seitzer is working wonders with the Jays offence, they have a MLB leading 83 HR.

Nelson Cruz has a history of PED', Encarnacion does not.

Until Edwin gets busted, or any other Jay for that matter, i will give them the benefit of the dought.