PDA

View Full Version : Precictive Statistics Books

Robert Goren
06-02-2014, 08:55 AM
I have found a bunch of books on predictive statistics. I see in their blurbs on Amazon that there are several that use stats to predict what % will buy at various levels of price , income of the buyer , sex of the buyer, etc. using mlogit generated numbers. If you read one or more of them, I would appreciate a recommendation. I would like to see how they handle things that might have different models for certain factors . For instance, the differences in how price and other things effects how men and women chose where they get their hair cut. I think I might be able to adapt one of these models to predict the likelihood of a horse winning.

HUSKER55
06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
consider taking an online coarse in stats from the university. Better yet, contact the math department online. Most major universities math departments have students who tutor on line.

just a thought........

Robert Goren
06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
consider taking an online coarse in stats from the university. Better yet, contact the math department online. Most major universities math departments have students who tutor on line.

just a thought........ I do not want to pay for a coarse, when I can just read the textbook instead. I know there are some you tube videos, but really I want a book to sort through. Thanks for your reply.

Capper Al
06-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Welcome back Robert. You were missed here.

Dark Horse
06-03-2014, 07:21 PM
If you haven't already, check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=predictive%20analytics&sprefix=predictive+ana%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apredictive%20analytics

The comment section is helpful for each book.

I have the one with the baseball on the cover. It's probably one of the better ones out there, but you do need excel for it.

crestridge
06-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Has anyone been able to adapt principles from these books for analyzing the races? If so, would you be able to share some ideas? Stats are the "bread and butter" of analyzing races, as we all know, but if a new way of either organizing our data, or even visualizing our data, that would be "cool".

I see on this site a advertisement for a software application called, "Tableau"? Was wondering if anyone has experience with this platform?

CREST

sbcaris
06-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Crestridge: I have written three books: 2 on the Triple crown that American Turf has published and one on the Breeders Cup Races which they also published. These books all deal with impact values which I believe are very important stats, particularly if the related ROIs come out positive when the angles are used.

I wrote an article I had published by American turf monthly in this years May issue 2014. It was entitled Handicapping the Derby (Buckpasser in the X points out winners). This article deals with impact values from Buckpasser in the X angle. If you would like a copy of this article (free of charge) just email me at sbcaris@comcast.net and I will email it to you.