PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to NYRA

dannyhill
05-30-2014, 12:03 AM
General admission Belmont stakes day is $10.
Between California Chrome going for the triple crown and a spectacular under card, they have kept admission and parking affordable for the masses.

Absolutely incredible day of racing.:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Tara73
05-30-2014, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately too many who will be in at Belmont are only there because this went mainstream and a horse is attempting a triple.crown. If there were bottom level claimers surrounding the big race it wouldn't affect attendance. Although it would affect handle.

Cholly
05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Interesting angle to NYRA's moving more major stakes to this day discussed by Martin Panza in Paulick Report:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/new-york-aims-for-big-days-big-business-with-a-cherry-on-top/

Apparently NYRA is able to almost double (from 5% to 9%) their signal fee for Belmont Stakes Day. I know nothing about the business arrangements between tracks and ADW's/simulcastors, but I'm surprised they don't get push-back on that premium.

In any case, the extra 4% would make an enormous difference to revenues generated for NYRA by Met Mile & other stakes shifted to that day.

DeltaLover
05-30-2014, 11:29 AM
I would not go the Belmont Stakes not even if they paid me $100!

The place will be jam crowded to the point of not been able to move...

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

I think the exact opposite. I've been to the Derby twice and have no desire to go back (love the BC at CD, though). I was at BEL for Funny Cide and Big Brown, and it just didn't feel as crowded as CD on Derby Day. The place is just so cavernous.

DeltaLover
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I think the exact opposite. I've been to the Derby twice and have no desire to go back (love the BC at CD, though). I was at BEL for Funny Cide and Big Brown, and it just didn't feel as crowded as CD on Derby Day. The place is just so cavernous.

I recall that in BB day, there was a 10 min line just to get in to the restroom!

Anyway, AQU is OK for me..

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I recall that in BB day, there was a 10 min line just to get in to the restroom!

Anyway, AQU is OK for me..

I think there were water issues (in restrooms) that day, and it was hotter than hell, but I still thought it was much better than CD on Derby Day. I just think BEL holds a ton of people really well.

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 12:16 PM
How can somebody be selling 2 seats in section 2-O for $250 a piece?

I think next week will be a buyers market......scalpers hitting the panic button next Friday--------****em

Clocker
05-30-2014, 12:42 PM

I was thinking about how much money someone would have to pay me to go, and that number isn't even on my radar. Add another zero and you might be in my ballpark, and that would be in addition to good reserved seats.

Expected attendance is over 100,000. They say that they have seating for 33,000, but I think that is reserved grandstand seating, and they have seating for an additional 10,000 on apron benches, green space picnic areas, etc. That still leaves about 60,000 people standing up, protecting their little square of pavement. No thanks.

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2014, 12:50 PM
I was thinking about how much money someone would have to pay me to go, and that number isn't even on my radar. Add another zero and you might be in my ballpark, and that would be in addition to good reserved seats.

Expected attendance is over 100,000. They say that they have seating for 33,000, but I think that is reserved grandstand seating, and they have seating for an additional 10,000 on apron benches, green space picnic areas, etc. That still leaves about 60,000 people standing up, protecting their little square of pavement. No thanks.

Arrive around 11 am and you can buy tickets from a scalper for about face value. I hate big crowds, but Belmont Day never feels that bad to me. It sounds like I'm the only one of this opinion, though.

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Arrive around 11 am and you can buy tickets from a scalper for about face value. I hate big crowds, but Belmont Day never feels that bad to me. It sounds like I'm the only one of this opinion, though.

Are you serious about the face value?

Clocker
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM

That's why there are different flavors of ice cream. I have been to a number of tracks on big days with capacity crowds, long lines for everything, and high prices for mediocre food. Compare that with an air conditioned house, full coverage (NBC, TVG, HRTV) on a 32" flat screen, my ADW on a 27" monitor, a fridge full of Sam Adams, and my own private bathroom. It's a no brainer for me!

ronsmac
05-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Are you serious about the face value?
I've said this before, but my last Belmont was 1983.I was 15 years old, I paid either $2 dollars for $3 to get in and I sat for free in upper grandstand. Man, times do change and I am old.

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Would kill to buy face value seats at the door and sell what I have

the little guy
05-30-2014, 01:43 PM

There won't be face value seats available at the door.

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 03:40 PM

How bout $95 tickets going for $200? That's basically what I'm saying...

TLG is 2R a good place to take in a race?

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2014, 03:49 PM

I paid face value or face value plus a modest amount for tix when Funny Cide raced in the BEL. Ditto on BB. But who knows, not trying to start an argument, just stating my past experiences.

dilanesp
05-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Interesting angle to NYRA's moving more major stakes to this day discussed by Martin Panza in Paulick Report:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/new-york-aims-for-big-days-big-business-with-a-cherry-on-top/

Apparently NYRA is able to almost double (from 5% to 9%) their signal fee for Belmont Stakes Day. I know nothing about the business arrangements between tracks and ADW's/simulcastors, but I'm surprised they don't get push-back on that premium.

In any case, the extra 4% would make an enormous difference to revenues generated for NYRA by Met Mile & other stakes shifted to that day.

That may explain everything.

Stillriledup
05-30-2014, 04:01 PM
That may explain everything.

Most Bettors don't care about signal fees between tracks, the only people hurt by this is rebate players, who end up eating the raise in a lesser rebate on that particular day.

Simo outlets won't push back because how could they? Are they going to tell their patrons that you can't bet the Belmont stakes but come out anyway and bet the 3rd at the Artist formerly known as River Downs?

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 04:11 PM
I give nyra all the credit.....after the preakness they could have said **** you admission is $80 and the once a year players would have paid....

I can't tell you how much I hate 90 percent of the people that will be in attendance next week......

Side note....what are the odds that my 2 seats are 7&8 and fellow poster tanner12oz is in 8-9-10.........that's impossible

To bad PA isn't in our row..... But I'll buy his booze for the day....not so much for letting me post on his site but for when he told me verrizano can't lose the Haskell :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
05-30-2014, 04:14 PM
I give nyra all the credit.....after the preakness they could have said **** you admission is $80 and the once a year players would have paid....

I can't tell you how much I hate 90 percent of the people that will be in attendance next week......

Side note....what are the odds that my 2 seats are 7&8 and fellow poster tanner12oz is in 8-9-10.........that's impossible

To bad PA isn't in our row..... But I'll buy his booze for the day....not so much for letting me post on his site but for when he told me verrizano can't lose the Haskell :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean you don't love, with all your heart, loud and obnoxious idiots who bet 2 dollars to show on the favorite and ignore racing the other 364 days of the year? You mean you dont WUVVVVV those people? :D

the little guy
05-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I paid face value or face value plus a modest amount for tix when Funny Cide raced in the BEL. Ditto on BB. But who knows, not trying to start an argument, just stating my past experiences.

One day it was pouring and the other day it was 98 degrees.

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Yes and I'm predicting rain for this yr. Just kidding - obviously weather will play a huge factor.

wiffleball whizz
05-30-2014, 04:57 PM

What do you think CC will be morning line? And what do you think he will go off at?

120k x $2 win ticket on CC is 240k that shouldn't be on him....everybody will be buying them and across the country not that those tix are worth anything....

I keep seeing this prob bet all over the place....

Will CC win the triple crown:

Yes- even money
No -140

But I can't see him being any higher then 3/5.....

What do you think?

thespaah
05-30-2014, 10:24 PM

Aww come on now.
You just have to know where to go and how to manage your time.
I've been to Belmont when there's been 80,000 people in attendance. Nary an issue.
Been to Saratoga with almost 50,000 of my closest friends. Again, nary an issue.

thespaah
05-30-2014, 10:26 PM
How can somebody be selling 2 seats in section 2-O for $250 a piece?

I think next week will be a buyers market......scalpers hitting the panic button next Friday--------****em
I agree. There is an art to scalping tickets.
Just work the marketplace and one will get their price.

thespaah
05-30-2014, 10:32 PM
One year we bought seats for face value for the Travers. Sold those on the Weds or Thurs of Travers week at a hefty premium. Then bought seats on the street for under face value. Walked in just after the 4th race. Seller almost gave them away.
It's just how you work the system.

thespaah
05-30-2014, 10:36 PM
How bout $95 tickets going for $200? That's basically what I'm saying...

TLG is 2R a good place to take in a race?
Seating chart says 2R is at the 16th pole.
I've sat there. It's fine.

TravisVOX
05-30-2014, 10:52 PM

The "industry" is to blame for not better explaining how the dollar breaks down in horse racing. When the TC is on the line, NYRA is more than entitled to charge a big simulcast fee. In general, the rate tracks get for other people viewing/betting on their races is WAY too low. That's why news stories about handle are really only a fraction of the story... revenue to racetracks is drastically different on-track vs. off.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2014, 03:24 AM
I've never found myself "hating life" at any of the last 26 straight Belmont Stakes I've attended. From huge crowds, to not-so-huge crowds, I've had a great time. The only slight downer has been when it's been raining...I've never felt like the crowds have been that much of an issue to impact my day, but then again, I always have seats...if I didn't have seats, it probably would be a different story.

Tom
05-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I went to see Funny Cide's last race at Finger Lakes.
It was FAR too crowded for me - 11,000!