PDA

View Full Version : Odd betting at Belmont in the Pick 6 (May 29)

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Some unusual betting in the pick 6, the 1 has a "live" ticket in the last race.

You wonder how someone is alive to this horse after seeing the earlier results.

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 05:36 PM
The winner was a 5-2 shot and nobody hit 6, but if the 50-1 would have won the race, it would have paid out.

:eek:

ManU918
05-29-2014, 05:37 PM
It's because people buy lottery style tickets and just do quick picks.

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 05:45 PM

I'm sure a thorough investigation can determine if this was a quick pick or not.

andtheyreoff
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM

No, it must be some kind of a wacky conspiracy.

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
No, it must be some kind of a wacky conspiracy.

What's wacky about looking into odd payoffs/probables?

Should we just turn the other cheek and ignore it?

ManU918
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm sure a thorough investigation can determine if this was a quick pick or not.

What? Why would there be an investigation needed? The three horses covered lost.... But common sense would say that of the three horses covered the two that were long shots were covered because it was a quick pick or someone just randomly picking numbers.... Either way who gives a shit.

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 06:25 PM
What? Why would there be an investigation needed? The three horses covered lost.... But common sense would say that of the three horses covered the two that were long shots were covered because it was a quick pick or someone just randomly picking numbers.... Either way who gives a shit.

It always amazes me that people get SO offended and take it personally when someone else suggests to "look into" odd betting patterns.

The game has a perception problem, the Fix 6 scandal came over 10 years ago and since then, technology had gotten much more sophisticated and yet, "racing" has not spend a heck of a lot of time and/or money on upgrading tote systems, its free to investigate, it would likely take less than 5 minutes to look into this ticket and see where it was purchased and whatnut.

Sure, its likely that its all legit and its just some random idiot betting on no hopers, but why be offended that someone else sees an "odd" betting situation and wants it to be looked into?

ManU918
05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
It always amazes me that people get SO offended and take it personally when someone else suggests to "look into" odd betting patterns.

The game has a perception problem, the Fix 6 scandal came over 10 years ago and since then, technology had gotten much more sophisticated and yet, "racing" has not spend a heck of a lot of time and/or money on upgrading tote systems, its free to investigate, it would likely take less than 5 minutes to look into this ticket and see where it was purchased and whatnut.

Sure, its likely that its all legit and its just some random idiot betting on no hopers, but why be offended that someone else sees an "odd" betting situation and wants it to be looked into?

I'm not offended I just think its ridiculous. What exactly are you going to achieve by finding out where the bet was placed, how much the ticket was, if it was or wasn't a quick pick, etc. The ticket lost.... Who cares how the player came up with the combinations. If you want to look into it.... Go for it. No one else is going to do it, so if you want it done you're going to have to do it yourself.

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm not offended I just think its ridiculous. What exactly are you going to achieve by finding out where the bet was placed, how much the ticket was, if it was or wasn't a quick pick, etc. The ticket lost.... Who cares how the player came up with the combinations. If you want to look into it.... Go for it. No one else is going to do it, so if you want it done you're going to have to do it yourself.

You seem sensitive to the issue. As far as me looking into it, i would love to have access to all the bets placed so i can pour over the records and analyze all the tickets, but i'm guessing that if i requested this info, someone would tell me to go take a flying leap. Believe me, if they let me have the records, i would sit here for hours on end "investigating" them. ;)

tanner12oz
05-29-2014, 09:44 PM
The industry won't even let you see a copy of a photo finish...good luck getting any info on this. I agree though it would be fun to analyze though

SandyW
05-29-2014, 10:17 PM

If it does not involve you, why worry about it. It is tough enough trying to focus as it is.
Do you think that you can fix the perception problem that you think there is ?

Stillriledup
05-29-2014, 10:23 PM
If it does not involve you, why worry about it. It is tough enough trying to focus as it is.
Do you think that you can fix the perception problem that you think there is ?

Do you think racing doesn't have a perception problem?

If i posted 3 seconds after Volponi crossed the line "odd payout in the BC Pick 6" would you have said the same thing?

BetHorses!
05-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Lucky 7 and then 4 deuces won in a row...weird combos, birthdays and most likely quik piks were alive

7/2/2/2/2 --

Redboard
05-30-2014, 09:41 AM
That’s not unusual if the bettor was using Steve Crist’s ABC method of multi-race betting. The ticket in question could have been a AACAAC , which would leave a longer shot in the last leg.
As most of us know, this method does not generate one large expensive ticket, but zillions of little ones.
Not the method I like because , IMO, it hedges too much and doesn’t take a “stand.” Some people say he buys every race. I wouldn’t go that far, but I prefer two or three tickets sprinkled with singles.

davew
05-30-2014, 11:12 AM

I suspect they placed the bet before seeing the earlier results. Wasn't it a few years ago that a low dollar quickpick bet made at AP took down the GP rainbow jackpot?

It was a good thing the 1 did not win, as the SRU track official would have really wanted a full blown investigation and possibly criminal charges...

jk3521
05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Simple, the :1: didn't win, no investigation

Stillriledup
05-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Simple, the :1: didn't win, no investigation

So, if Volponi didnt win the BC Fix Six a dozen years ago, there should have been no investigation into his really short probable payout? After all, he didnt win.

RIGHT?

jk3521
05-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Right ! If he didn't win, there would have been no reason to investigate. Why investigate a "probable payout" ? :faint:

Stillriledup
05-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Right ! If he didn't win, there would have been no reason to investigate. Why investigate a "probable payout" ? :faint:

That's like saying the police receive a tip on someone who's planning an "incident" and they go to the guy's house and they don't search because he hasn't actually done anything yet.

castaway01
05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
That's like saying the police receive a tip on someone who's planning an "incident" and they go to the guy's house and they don't search because he hasn't actually done anything yet.

I left this board as a poster because your thousands of idiotic posts clog up every thread. I see you're as much of a paranoid idiot as ever.

And your comparison sucks. Nothing happened so nothing happened---since you like "police" analogies so much, you're trying to accuse someone of murder and there's no victim, no evidence, and no crime. We're the only ones getting killed by having to sift through your garbage.

Stillriledup
05-30-2014, 08:12 PM
I left this board as a poster because your thousands of idiotic posts clog up every thread. I see you're as much of a paranoid idiot as ever.

And your comparison sucks. Nothing happened so nothing happened---since you like "police" analogies so much, you're trying to accuse someone of murder and there's no victim, no evidence, and no crime. We're the only ones getting killed by having to sift through your garbage.

You stay classy.

You hear. :D