PDA

View Full Version : RE: What program is Joe Hinson using?

Turfday
04-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Don't know him. Never met him. Just have read his name in DRF winning many of the handicapping tournaments.

Does anyone know how he does it and, if so, what program or programs he is using? Can't be just luck.

Sorry if this topic has been covered in the past. I'm a newbie.

GR1@HTR
04-21-2004, 06:39 AM
He has his own custom made program.

Lefty
05-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Plus, I understand it's a family affair and they put in multiple tickets.

hurrikane
05-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Yep Lefty,

he typically has 6-8 entries with wife, daughters, etc running tickets for him.

I've seen him at most every contest I've been in. I've never seen him win but I"m sure he does at some time.

I've seen him at all the orleans tournies. 8 tickets...$500 a pop..4 grand in entry fees. Like I say, I've never seen him win but even a blind pig can dig up an acorn once in a while.

The Skeptic
05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Ditto. Estimated losses in the millions.

hdcper
05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Hate to disagree guys but Joe Hinson and team have won many contests.

In the days of the Cal Neva contest, which in my opinion was the best handicapping contest format of all, Joe, his wife and partner won the contest numerous times. Also, his partner at that time won the Mirage contest too.

Again the number of contests now available has changed the game big time along with the knowledge gained by each and every contest player. Like handicapping, if enough players learn the proper strategy (or use like speed figures), many people get a much smaller share of the pot (or a profitable method turns negative).

For the record I personally don't know Joe except the times I have seen him accept the contest top prizes.

Hope it happens to me someday,

Bill

The Skeptic
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Bill

You're missing the point.

hdcper
05-17-2004, 10:48 PM
And what point would that be????

Bill

Lefty
05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
The multiple entries point.

hdcper
05-17-2004, 11:40 PM
So what is wrong with multiple entries?

Bill

Lefty
05-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Kinda belies the point you're a great handicapper to rely on 6-8 entries don'tcha think?
I don't frequent the contests or know all the rules so I don't know if all his multples were strictly legal.

hdcper
05-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Lefty,

I see where you are coming from with regard to a great handicapper view. And as you mentioned all contests have different rules, but the multiple player idea and forming a team certainly is a viable approach.

Further, most of us play this game every day with a 14 to 25% negative take going in, while most contests offer a profitable expectation returning all the entrie fees and generally an additional seed.

For example, the Gold Coast Summer Classic July 15-17th has prize money of $260,500 based on a 575 entry requirement of $400 per entry. Thus, the contestants are putting up $230,000 with a return of $260,500.

Obviously expenses of room, transportation and food must be considered, but all in all contests offer the horse player a good expected return and the opportunity to share time with other true horse players.

Bill

The Skeptic
05-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Still missing the point.

Whats the max number of entries again (per person)? Now do you get it. What's the entry fee again? Referring to the Summer Classic.

No one said multiple entries was a problem. That's not the point.

It's not that hard.

hdcper
05-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Summer classic entry fee $400 and entries are limited to 10 per person, no partners.

Sort of glad I am missing the point, since trying to get a straight answer out of you is a waste of my time.

Your right, it isn't that hard!!

Hdcper

The Skeptic
05-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Damnit....what's wrong here:

$400 x 10 = $4000 for 1 person...okay now you have a partner....$8000 (one contest)

Moolah: $5000 x 2 = $10,000 (assuming multiple available or a partner in the past or present).

Orleans don't have the numbers for the Fall and Spring...available per and cost....you do the math....

Reno Hilton at 3 times a year plus partners: almost $15,000

Turfvivor: $2000 with partner

Other Vegas Tournaments:

Other Reno Tournaments:

East Coast Tournaments: ?

Expenses... $x

Entries fees alone may total $50,000 at MINIMUM a year - could be 2 times that. Get it!

Now take 10 or 15 yrs of doing this......it doesn't take long until you see the annual entries fees alone totalling an enormous sum?

Get it! Why would would this require explanation? Now I bet you not glad you missed the point. Please concede.

hdcper
05-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Skeptic,

Face it, there are all types of contests and the approach to the contest certainly doesn’t have to be multiple entries. How you play and what works best is just an opinion.

But consider for a minute the following approach if the contest is limited to two entries per player and a four man team was formed (purchasing 8 entries). Further, let the contest be 3 days long and you wager on 15 horses per day of your choice from the tracks offered. This teams approach is to wager on 30 horses the first day (four of their entries have the same 15 horses and the other four have another 15).

What we are looking for here, is that at least one of the four entry designed plans has a huge or strong first day. On day 2, the four entries are once again split in two groups of two entries, again wagering on the 15 horses for each group. Now should either group have another strong day, the team has two of there eight original entries in position to cash in on one or two of the top prizes.

Is it the right approach? Can it be improved upon? (Most likely)

In closing, all of us should take a hard look at any strategy we use but yet have an open mind to consider what we might be missing.

Get it!!!

Bill

Lefty
05-19-2004, 12:17 PM
hdcper, look at the original question about Hinson and then my first answer and then perhaps you will get it.

SandyW
10-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Accordingto the people at The Orleans, Joe Hinson has died.

JoeLong
10-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Accordingto the people at The Orleans, Joe Hinson has died.

Just when the thread was getting interesting too. ;)

Red Knave
10-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Just when the thread was getting interesting too. ;)

:D

I love this forum. :kiss: