PDA

View Full Version : Deleware park

pele polo
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Today was a good example of their usual race cards:
-Great full field turf racing
-Competitive higher end allowance races
-Weak in the lower claiming ranks

They've got good support by the best Mid Atlantic trainers... Sheppard, Dutrow, Matz, Larry Jones, Servis, Ness, Vazquez...

But the thing that kills them is their schedule... Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. They'll add Thursday next week.

If you've never been there, it's one of the finer places to watch a live race. I've felt for a while now that this track could be much more that what is.

There was talk a while back about Parx closing in the summer. It should, would really help out Deleware, Pimlico/Colonial and Monmouth even though it seems to have no issue fielding races.

cmp92
05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Today was a good example of their usual race cards:
-Great full field turf racing
-Competitive higher end allowance races
-Weak in the lower claiming ranks

They've got good support by the best Mid Atlantic trainers... Sheppard, Dutrow, Matz, Larry Jones, Servis, Ness, Vazquez...

But the thing that kills them is their schedule... Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. They'll add Thursday next week.

If you've never been there, it's one of the finer places to watch a live race. I've felt for a while now that this track could be much more that what is.

There was talk a while back about Parx closing in the summer. It should, would really help out Deleware, Pimlico/Colonial and Monmouth even though it seems to have no issue fielding races.
I'm not a big thoroughbred player outside of Saratoga in the summer, but I will look for a couple plays here and there. I've had success at DP. I guess you can say I'm a casual fan of their racing product.

dannyhill
05-28-2014, 11:34 PM
One of the most beautiful saddling areas in the game.

Clocker
05-28-2014, 11:48 PM

I have been looking at Delaware among others because of their schedule. I usually play Woodbine and SA on the weekends, and plan to add Monmouth once they get about a month into the season.

I'm looking for a track with an afternoon early week schedule, and am focused on Delaware and Parx. Although Parx seems to have higher purses, Delaware seems to be attracting larger fields, so I am planning to give Delaware try for a while.

goatchaser
05-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Watched the 2nd today before I left for work. Just now getting home. Anyways.....Turf race 70-1 takes the lead out of the gate. Very wide into the first turn.....Does the same turning for home...has about 3 lengths on the field and to me looking good. Veers in and jumps over the rail. Never did find out how the Jockey was. Watched the replay and he may have been kicked by the horse from what I saw. Anyone know?This would be the 2nd on 5/28.

Redboard
05-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I was at Del Park on Saturday, it’s a nice track. Here are a few other reasons why one might play it:

-No annoying statebreds. Ok, you get that annoying Arabian race but it’s only one race at the end of the day.

-You’re playing against weaker horse players. I played three races on Saturday because I arrived late. Hit the exacta on two races(excuse the redboarding) that paid more than I expected. One paid over $200 and I know for a fact that if that were a NYRA race, it would have paid under $100.

-Delaware is only one of four states to fully implement the Jockey club’s medication reform rules.

-Great kiddie bounce rooms. They even have a special bet for kids where the winner gets to ride the winning horsey around the track (ok, this last one is a joke)

If I’m playing from home, I usually play Belmont and Saratoga during their meets. The Del park low purses are a turnoff for me and I don’t know if closing Parx in the summer would help that. But, since Del Park is nearby, I enjoy visiting four of five times a summer.

wisconsin
05-29-2014, 10:47 AM
I visited Delaware last fall, what a nice joint, refurbished grandstand seating, awesome paddock, very cool sports book area. One of my favorite visited tracks.

bks
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Which of its restaurants would you call the nicest for dinner? Looking into an afternoon/evening trip for the Belmont.

Beachbabe
05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Which of its restaurants would you call the nicest for dinner? Looking into an afternoon/evening trip for the Belmont.

"Legends" is the nicest. It's a bit pricey. You need reservations especially for that evening. Dressy casual.

Ocala Mike
05-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Jonathan Sheppard 2/2 there yesterday, both 7/1 shots. One was his own homebred (benefited when the 70/1 shot jumped the rail in the 2nd), and the other for George Strawbidge, his "main man" with a layoff horse.

NY BRED
05-30-2014, 05:48 AM
At least one NY trainer sent his some of his horses to prep
(racing) on the Delaware turf, PG Johnson.

When you see the track while in the stands I felt I was at
a smaller version of Belmont Park.

Aside from a beautiful paddock there at table games at the casiono..

jldonah
05-30-2014, 06:53 PM
One nice thing is that very few people are curious enough to explore the side away from the track. There are clean restrooms, one or two betting machines, a couple of benches and picnic tables and lots of room for watching.
I've seen Presious Passion, Royal Delta, Blind Luck, Havre de Grace, Hysterical Lady and a few other good racers with no one in front of me, no inane griping at jockeys in my ear etc.
I also remember seeing a beautiful black gelding brought up there by King Leatherbury who dominated his race a few minutes later. I *think* this was Ben's Cat, in his third race. I didn't bet him, but I remember thinking how much better he looked than the rest. That is still costing money. On opening day this year I didn't bet a filly trained by Motion because he wasn't there, she didn't have a coat on, her hooves weren't polished and her coat was dull. Of course she won easily.