PDA

View Full Version : Detroit needs 850 million

JustRalph
05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.newser.com/story/187538/detroit-we-need-850m-to-tear-down-40k-houses.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=clearchannel&utm_campaign=story

These numbers are incredible. 40k houses?

tucker6
05-28-2014, 05:47 PM
http://www.newser.com/story/187538/detroit-we-need-850m-to-tear-down-40k-houses.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=clearchannel&utm_campaign=story

These numbers are incredible. 40k houses?
That's bull crap. That comes out to $21,250 to bulldoze each property. It doesn't cost that much to landfill a tenement house. How much is Detroit siphoning off for political payoffs?? Probably half the total I'd say, if not more.

Let's Roll
05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
That's bull crap. That comes out to $21,250 to bulldoze each property. It doesn't cost that much to landfill a tenement house. How much is Detroit siphoning off for political payoffs?? Probably half the total I'd say, if not more.
Thanks for doing the math, the figure does sound high. Now, I'm just guessing here......The work may involve more than just tearing houses down. They will be decomissioning the street lights, sewers, roadways, electric and gas service, ect., on a massive scale. Most likely, if they go that route, they will seperate out the toxic materials and try to recycle whatever they can.
Those costs start to add up...

tucker6
05-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for doing the math, the figure does sound high. Now, I'm just guessing here......The work may involve more than just tearing houses down. They will be decomissioning the street lights, sewers, roadways, electric and gas service, ect., on a massive scale. Most likely, if they go that route, they will seperate out the toxic materials and try to recycle whatever they can.
Those costs start to add up...
That smells like a jobs program in the making for union workers no less.

michiken
05-28-2014, 07:45 PM
They were talking on the radio yesterday that the actual number of houses is more like 85,000 and up.

I drive thru some bad neighborhoods on the way to work and have witnessed the bulldozers in action. Never in my lifetime did I would ever see clean vacant lots on Davidson.

With the bankruptcy getting rid of the lifelong corrupt city council, Kwame and company in jail, a new white mayor with investors, things might be looking up.

Check back with me in 8 years and I will let you know. I won't hold my breath though.

By the way they are tearing up I-96 near my house. This is what the demo looked like.

BettinBilly
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
So sad what has happened to Detroit. A once great city.

I still happen to like the city (well, parts of it anyway). I go to Tigers games, enjoy Belle Isle (in the mornings only), and like some of the suburbs like Clarkston.

I also happened to catch a special on PBS about how Urban Dwellers are looking to Detroit for a city lifestyle that is dirt cheap in comparison to Chicago or New York.

It will be interesting to see what that city become in 30 more years. If I'm still around.