PDA

View Full Version : which tracks are dirt, which are synthetic?

JJMartin
05-27-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of each but I don't know them all, any ideas?

Stillriledup
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Dirt

SA
Los AL
GP
All NYRA tracks
Parx
Laurel/Pim
FG

Tapeta:
Presque Isle
GG

Poly:
DMR (changing to dirt next year)
Turfway
Arlington
Keeneland (but changing next year supposedly)

Stillriledup
05-27-2014, 09:45 PM
More Dirt:

Delaware
Fort Erie
Calder

Poly:

Woodbine

JJMartin
05-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanx :)

Stillriledup
05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Dirt:

Monmouth

Finger Lakes

Churchill

Turf Paradise

Emerald

Hastings

Penn Nat

CT

Mountain

Mineshaft
05-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Dirt:

FG
LaD
Delta
EVD
Sam Houston

cj
05-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Synth: WO, PID, GG, TP, OTC, AP.

The rest are or soon will be dirt.

JJMartin
05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Why are tracks switching back to dirt?

wisconsin
05-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Del Mar and Keeneland

thespaah
05-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Dirt

SA
Los AL
GP
All NYRA tracks
Parx
Laurel/Pim
FG

Tapeta:
Presque Isle
GG

Poly:
DMR (changing to dirt next year)
Turfway
Arlington
Keeneland (but changing next year supposedly)
Lone Star, Sam Houston and Retama Park in Texas.
In the Southwest, Ruioso Downs, Turf Paradise, Yavapai..
I think Remington is dirt. Could be wrong about that...Opened with "Equitrack" which was replaced.
Oaklawn.
Canterbury Downs.
Hawthorne.
Ellis Park
Indiana Downs
Penn Nat'l
Monmouth
Delaware

cj
05-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Why are tracks switching back to dirt?

Various reasons...costs, decline of prestige of races, want to host the Breeder's Cup.

What I posted earlier is accurate. Keeneland and Delmar were both on synthetic surfaces last meet, but the changes are supposed to be done in time for the next ones. Santa Anita is switching to a different kind of dirt during its next break.

Do you actually want a list of all dirt tracks? All others that have a main course are dirt. A few turf only tracks are Kentucky Downs, Atlantic City, and the Meadowlands. I think the latter two could race on dirt with some work, but they haven't in some time.

Speed Figure
05-28-2014, 02:16 AM
Colonial Downs is another track that is mainly a turf racing meet.

Al Gobbi
05-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Keeneland will be dirt for the upcoming fall meet, Del Mar will be in 2015.

Del Mar is switching because of the fact Hollywood (cushion) is now closed and the fact the poly surface is falling apart. Keeneland's main track races have taken a hit since they went to poly and both want to host the Breeders' Cup.

I believe the Del Mar Futurity will be the final Grade 1 on an synthetic surface in the world in September.

tanner12oz
05-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Kentucky downs is turf only?

Tall One
05-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Yep..i've never wagered on their races, but the course has a European flavor, they attract some top notch connections, and they've built up a nice little purse structure with instant racing down there. Quietly becoming a solid meet on the circuit here, imo.

Also, the removal of the Poly started last week out at Keeneland.

bello
05-28-2014, 09:29 AM
I would suggest a trip there (KD) for anyone who loves turf racing and a fair type atmosphere with very good horses, trainers and riders. Lots of fun. Just remember....speed dominates.

cj
05-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Colonial Downs is another track that is mainly a turf racing meet.

It is, but they do have a nice, large dirt track (10f if memory serves) and use it some.

bello
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
It is, but they do have a nice, large dirt track (10f if memory serves) and use it some.

Colonial has two turf track and a dirt track for when it rains.

They also would write a race or two on the dirt later in the afternoon cards as they forgot to put lights on the turf track. I believe they remedied that situation.

Let's hope the horsemen and owners resolve their issues so we can see a thoroughbred meet this season. Another great track to watch live races.

BlueChip@DRF
05-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Are there different dirt compositions for dirt tracks? Emerald Downs looks dark and Tampa Bay Downs looks like a beach.

thespaah
05-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Are there different dirt compositions for dirt tracks? Emerald Downs looks dark and Tampa Bay Downs looks like a beach.
Yes.
The three NYRA tracks are primarily sand and loam( according to wiki roughly a 40% sand 40% silt and 20% clay).
Tampa's is much more sand.
I would expect that the tracks darker in color have more loam than sand.

thespaah
05-28-2014, 08:47 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kentucky+Downs/@36.6424034,-86.5639382,1478m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8865c81d7baef205:0xf8fb3 e6ed2bd9cc9

zoom in, You'll see the turf course.
Not only is it a dog leg shaped track, it also goes up hill and down hill.

thespaah
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes they do....it's 10F.
According to the CNL website the facility has one turf course that is 180 ft in width. The perception that it's two separate courses comes from the temp rail installed.

bello
05-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I guess we are both correct thespahh.....They will put up rails inside the very wide secretariat course and turn it into two two actual racing courses, an inner and an outer.

Also, since we are on the subject of race surfaces....Colonial has burned their turf course intentionally over the last 2 years....see article for the reasons

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68304/colonial-downs-turf-course-set-ablaze

Nestled in New Kent County, Virginia, right off of I-64, between Richmond and Williamsburg, (yes the same I-64 that runs by Churchill and Keeneland), Colonial Downs opened up its doors in 1997 to a whole new world of racing in Virginia. The widest turf course in North America (a whopping 180 feet) features two turf courses (on the Secretariat Turf Course) built into one! When split in half it becomes a 7 ½ furlong inner oval and a 1 1/8 mile outer course. That along with the specialized meet schedule offers a unique experience in racing where most to all races can be run on the grass. In fact back in 2000, there was a day with so much rain that some of the races were moved from the dirt to the grass!! When do you EVER hear of THAT happening??