PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question

Actor
05-26-2014, 03:32 PM
What's the difference between the start call and the gate call?

Overlay
05-26-2014, 05:34 PM
http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=drfsff

I'm not sure if I've heard of the "gate call" (as opposed to the "start call"), but there seems to be an indication in the above link from BRIS that it occurs between the second call and the stretch call (wherever that might physically be on the racetrack). Maybe it pertains to ultra-short races (like quarter horses) where the distance is not long enough to have what would normally be considered a "start call" in a longer race. (Just guessing.)

Clocker
05-27-2014, 01:10 AM
What's the difference between the start call and the gate call?

I am not sure what the question is about. If you are asking about the timing of the race, there is no official "gate call" on the time of the race.

For example, a 6f race officially starts at, and is timed from, the 3/4 pole. The gate is some distance behind that pole. How far varies from track to track, and the difference in distance is called the run-up. The greater that distance, the faster the horses are going to be running when the race "starts", and this obviously affects the official total time for the race.

Actor
05-27-2014, 02:23 AM
I am not sure what the question is about. If you are asking about the timing of the race, there is no official "gate call" on the time of the race.

For example, a 6f race officially starts at, and is timed from, the 3/4 pole. The gate is some distance behind that pole. How far varies from track to track, and the difference in distance is called the run-up. The greater that distance, the faster the horses are going to be running when the race "starts", and this obviously affects the official total time for the race.The BRIS single file data format identifies six calls of position. In the file they appear in this order: Start Call, 1st Call, 2nd Call, Stretch, Finish and Money.

For beaten lengths the calls are: Start, 1st, 2nd, Stretch and Finish.

Of course the order in which they appear in the file need not reflect the order in which they happen.

I'm not certain what the difference between finish and money is either.

Dark Horse
05-27-2014, 04:00 AM
I don't use those forms, but if the 'start call' is not the actual start it is probably the point where the clock starts running.

Red Knave
05-27-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm not certain what the difference between finish and money is either.
It's for the position after a DQ. How the purse is distributed.