PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Spectacle in Racing

TJDave
05-26-2014, 03:02 AM
Unbelievable. This race used to be the ultimate of car races and synonymous with our celebration of Memorial day. WTF happened?

JustRalph
05-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Indy? I thought it was the best one in years.

TJDave
05-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes but very little press and not a word here until I mentioned it. Indy used to be part of our culture. Now it seems like an afterthought.

Marshall Bennett
05-26-2014, 12:15 PM
I believe when the split occurred years ago where Cart went one way and Indy the other, fans sort of lost a lot of interest. Many drivers either went to Europe to race or joined Nascar, plus the retirement of such names as the Unsers, Andretti, Foyt, Mears, just to name a few all at around the same time hurt Indy racing. It's now a shell of it's former self consisting largely of Non-Americans although yesterday's winner was American, a rarity now days.
It's a shame in my opinion because I believe Indy racing the better as far as skill and talent than Nascar racing by far. Also more speed.

headhawg
05-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I agree with Marshall -- the split really cost the sport. It's still my favorite racing series because I love that the drivers need both oval and road course skills. I would argue that the drivers are every bit as good as the F1 guys. Too bad that Hinchcliffe made that stupid move. I think that Carpenter would have been there at the end. I sure wish that racing had stiffer penalties for stupidity, like a one-race suspension or starting at the back of the field next race. Thankfully the officials red-flagged the 500 otherwise we would have had another finish under caution. BORING!

JustRalph
05-26-2014, 06:52 PM
I agree, Carpenter was was a huge factor until that stunt took him out.

I was very interested to see how Kurt Busch would do. Especially after the crash he had Monday. Andretti motor sports having 4 out of the top 6 cars was huge.