PDA

View Full Version : bad day to host a newbie

elhelmete
05-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I took my adult niece and her husband to Santa Anita yesterday. Took them to the barns to see the couple of claimers I have an interest in, fed them carrots, watched a farrier at work, the grooms, etc. They were wide eyed and thrilled.

Seventy degrees, track fast, turf firm. Walked them through the entire place and snuck in on the tail end of the Seabiscuit tour.

We sat through and enjoyed Quigley and Miramahdi's handicapping talk.

They got to say hello to Bob Baffert.

They loved the food.

As my niece's husband is literally starting to make plans with all his buddies for a Belmont Stakes day outing at Suffolk Downs (they live in Mass.) a horse has a cardiac event and is put down directly in front of us. Ten minutes later we're heading back on the 210 freeway.

I know these things happen. I don't like seeing it either. But it was especially hard to try and answer some of their questions, like why do the horses head back to the barns right in front of the grandstand, why can't horses come back from heart attacks like (some) people, why don't they cancel the rest of the races, etc. Sure there are answers to all of these, but newbies are skeptical.

Mystic
05-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Very unfortunate and so sad. Do you know who the horse was by chance?

Stillriledup
05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Very unfortunate and so sad. Do you know who the horse was by chance?

It might have been Big Note, Race 2 yesterday, equibase chart says he collapsed and Bob Ike on Twitter mentions he was "put down".

Overlay
05-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Reminds me of a group of people from where I was working in Richmond, Kentucky (south of Lexington) going to Keeneland in 1990 to watch the Breeders' Cup simulcast. In a setting like that, I was hoping that a few of them at least would become more than casual fans. But then Mr. Nickerson broke down in the Sprint, and Go For Wand was fatally injured in the Distaff. It was an unfortunate introduction to racing for many there.

Shelby
05-25-2014, 08:20 PM
I had a similar experience at Oaklawn several years ago. Sat next to a couple that hadn't been to the races before. Horse broke down a few yards past the finish line and they put up the green tent--we all know what that means. I had to explain it to them. Not fun.

Edited to say:

Also, the year Eight Belles broke down, I had finally convinced my mom to watch the races on TV. Sigh. That race upset her so much that she didn't watch for a few years after that. It upset us too, but.....she was a newbie and well.....you know....

thespaah
05-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Perhaps the OP can give his friends a few weeks then explain to them in a nice way that these horses are animals and not machines. Explain that unfortunate things do happen. Compare it to something else. Perhaps to an unfortunate accident involving loss of life or something like that. And how one simply does not give up because there is risk involved or just because bad things happen.

thespaah
05-26-2014, 04:03 PM
I had a similar experience at Oaklawn several years ago. Sat next to a couple that hadn't been to the races before. Horse broke down a few yards past the finish line and they put up the green tent--we all know what that means. I had to explain it to them. Not fun.

Edited to say:

Also, the year Eight Belles broke down, I had finally convinced my mom to watch the races on TV. Sigh. That race upset her so much that she didn't watch for a few years after that. It upset us too, but.....she was a newbie and well.....you know....
Since they were strangers, I would have answered with "I don't know....Could be a veterinary emergency"

Shelby
05-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Since they were strangers, I would have answered with "I don't know....Could be a veterinary emergency"

I'm too much of a truth-teller, I guess.

thespaah
05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm too much of a truth-teller, I guess.
Next time then...

iceknight
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm too much of a truth-teller, I guess.I commend you for that.

As for "thespaah" PR spin... Do you think people will not find out later, worse, they will end up never trusting Shelby's words on anything again.

Hambletonian
05-26-2014, 04:54 PM
the fundamental issue is that for gamblers break downs are a non issue

for fans/handicappers, they are an unfortunate, uncommon part of the game that they wish did not exist

for the general public, one break down is one too many. the casual fan has no acceptance for any level of equine harm. part of the reason that it is hard to attract casual fans to the game.

thespaah
05-26-2014, 04:59 PM
I commend you for that.

As for "thespaah" PR spin... Do you think people will not find out later, worse, they will end up never trusting Shelby's words on anything again.
First. Dial it down. It's not PR spin....This is how I think.
Now, Who cares if they "find out later"?The point is the OP found it uncomfortable to explain the situation himself.
As a complete stranger, which is my assessment of the encounter, is it not my job to explain anything. Especially to newbs who may find the explanation unsettling. So I would just leave it alone.
Glad we can disagree in a civil manner.
We're done.

Grits
05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
the fundamental issue is that for gamblers break downs are a non issue

for fans/handicappers, they are an unfortunate, uncommon part of the game that they wish did not exist

for the general public, one break down is one too many. the casual fan has no acceptance for any level of equine harm. part of the reason that it is hard to attract casual fans to the game.

The bolded part? I think you could be mistaken. No one can convince me that ALL gamblers/bettors have absolutely no care or feeling for the animal. Few people are this heartless. If by chance they are, its my hope that others are not living with them.

Stillriledup
05-26-2014, 07:31 PM
The bolded part? I think you could be mistaken. No one can convince me that ALL gamblers/bettors have absolutely no care or feeling for the animal. Few people are this heartless. If by chance they are, its my hope that others are not living with them.

Gamblers put the gamble first. Sure, they would prefer to see no injuries or death, but they are concerned about their bet. Do they not care at all? I wouldnt say that, but i think the point that H is making is that some people are just trying to win a bet and there's really no requirement that they get "personally invested" in the participants.

Shelby
05-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I bet on the horses--and I assure you, I am far more concerned about their welfare and coming out of a race soundly than winning. It breaks my heart each time I see/hear about a horse having to be put down.

iceknight
05-27-2014, 03:04 PM
First. Dial it down. It's not PR spin....This is how I think.
Now, Who cares if they "find out later"?The point is the OP found it uncomfortable to explain the situation himself.
As a complete stranger, which is my assessment of the encounter, is it not my job to explain anything. Especially to newbs who may find the explanation unsettling. So I would just leave it alone.
Glad we can disagree in a civil manner.
We're done. Your post #6 is something I agree with. But, the use of complicated terms to obfuscate simple things (your 2nd post) is a different philosophy. We can agree to disagree. Regards.

thespaah
05-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Your post #6 is something I agree with. But, the use of complicated terms to obfuscate simple things (your 2nd post) is a different philosophy. We can agree to disagree. Regards.
My approach goes along with something my parents taught me.
That is some things are better left unsaid