PDA

View Full Version : Chrome's gallop Sunday morning.

Grits
05-25-2014, 02:26 PM
http://www.nyra.com/belmont/california-chrome-continues-to-train-like-a-monster-for-june-7-belmont/

Hope these two mile jogs/gallops are going to be enough. He's still stunning in all photos that NYRA and Barbara Livingston have taken of him. Something in me, though, something in his face, his eyes. I don't see the fire that I saw prior to the Preakness.

This ain't no regular PARK, it ain't no regular oval, and he's gonna know it from his contenders when the gate opens.

Grits
05-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Wicked Strong. And looking every bit of it going a mile this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3Sp6W1aKA

Mad Scientist
05-25-2014, 03:05 PM
I read the article you linked to. Alan Sherman said he's getting stronger every day and putting on weight from Preakness. Says CC is training like a " monster " . Good enough for me ....

Grits
05-25-2014, 03:13 PM
I read the article you linked to. Alan Sherman said he's getting stronger every day and putting on weight from Preakness. Says CC is training like a " monster " . Good enough for me ....

Trainerspeak? I know you know the term.

SecretAgentMan
05-25-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.nyra.com/belmont/california-chrome-continues-to-train-like-a-monster-for-june-7-belmont/

Hope these two mile jogs/gallops are going to be enough. He's still stunning in all photos that NYRA and Barbara Livingston have taken of him. Something in me, though, something in his face, his eyes. I don't see the fire that I saw prior to the Preakness.

This ain't no regular PARK, it ain't no regular oval, and he's gonna know it from his contenders when the gate opens.

Maybe you're looking too hard? Maybe you don't want to believe he can win the triple crown........

Kind of like when people were saying before the Preakness.........the Martins won't be coming to the Preakness so that means he won win since the other owners won't be there.......or how the trainer was saying he doesn't like running his horses back in 2 weeks, so that's a dead give away that he won't win.

Just sit back, enjoy watching this horse race & don't expect a fast workout from Chrome because he never works out fast.

mostpost
05-25-2014, 03:18 PM

This ain't no regular horse. Maybe someday you guys will figure that out.

horses4courses
05-25-2014, 03:26 PM
He's not running today, or tomorrow.
Looks happy enough to me.

We'll see if he's got his game face on by Saturday June 7th.

Grits
05-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Maybe you're looking too hard? Maybe you don't want to believe he can win the triple crown........

Don't put words at the end of my fingers. I would love for him to win the Triple Crown. Its simply that I'm not convinced of any lock at Belmont Park. Ever. I've been on hand to witness too many beaten. And we've still got to weeks to go.

elhelmete
05-25-2014, 04:05 PM
worked for Bold Forbes

clocker7
05-25-2014, 04:16 PM
These connections have been pretty candid, and outfront about their concerns for horses wheeling back too soon. Both the ownership and the training staff.

The barn team also has expressed its amazement that CC is acting outside of what they are used to seeing with their other horses. So, I don't interpret that as trainerspeak at all. If anything, the handlers have sort of downplayed things, in expectation that circumstances eventually will catch up to him.

goatchaser
05-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Watching that Video i'm like...Where can you see his eyes? Clearly that is. And fire doesn't come from his eyes....It comes from his A$$ when he blows others away.

On a side note....I bet Johnny Weir had that Grooms job.

whodoyoulike
05-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Wicked Strong. And looking every bit of it going a mile this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3Sp6W1aKA

Isn't YouTube grand!! Thanks for posting.

In post #1, it appears that CC is always posing for the camera. I can recall some other great horses doing the same.

goatchaser
05-25-2014, 05:29 PM

In post #1, it appears that CC is always posing for the camera. I can recall some other great horses doing the same.
No Horse posed better than Cougar II..IMHO

Dark Horse
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Always nice when you can say after the race that you saw it in his eyes two weeks before. ;)

incoming
05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't know much about what goes through a horses head but I would almost swear he was possum hunting. :)

Mad Scientist
05-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Those are the eyes of the first triple crown winner in 37 years. Those are the eyes of a horse that has brushed aside his competition as a 3 year old without any type of a serious challenge. No other horse has gotten close enough to Chrome to look him in the eyes down the stretch. Yeah those are the eyes of a triple crown champion.

No other horse including Secretariat has handled his triple crown races and prep races with the laughable ease that CC has. Anybody finding fault with CC is not finding it from the past performances. This assassin has done everything on the racetrack that could have possibly been expected of him and than some . Any fault that you find with CC is going to have to come from some fantasy that you create in your mind.

This horse is beyond the real deal, and there's not one horse that's going to line up in starting gate on June 7 that can run a 1 1/2 miles in a quicker time than he can.

He will get exactly the trip Victor wants him to get in the Belmont. No other horse has the speed or athletic ability to deny him his trip. The notion that Chrome has ran his best race is laughable. Champions run their best race when challenged . You will see his best when another horse looks him in the eye and wants to pass him, or maybe another horse is just not good enough to ever really challenge him and we won't see how fast he can truly run.

Or maybe Steve Coburn and Art Sherman have grown tired of all the critics, and they will let Victor really get to the bottom of CC in the Belmont regardless how big his lead is knowing CC has a well deserved vacation ahead of him.

Either way CC can run a 1 1/2 or a 1 mile or 1 1/4 mile or 1 3/8 faster than any other 3 year old on the planet.

Mystic
05-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Here's another (better maybe?) video from Bloodhorse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85282/california-chrome-posts-another-strong-gallop

Mystic
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Those are the eyes of the first triple crown winner in 37 years. Those are the eyes of a horse that has brushed aside his competition as a 3 year old without any type of a serious challenge. No other horse has gotten close enough to Chrome to look him in the eyes down the stretch. Yeah those are the eyes of a triple crown champion.

No other horse including Secretariat has handled his triple crown races and prep races with the laughable ease that CC has. Anybody finding fault with CC is not finding it from the past performances. This assassin has done everything on the racetrack that could have possibly been expected of him and than some . Any fault that you find with CC is going to have to come from some fantasy that you create in your mind.

This horse is beyond the real deal, and there's not one horse that's going to line up in starting gate on June 7 that can run a 1 1/2 miles in a quicker time than he can.

He will get exactly the trip Victor wants him to get in the Belmont. No other horse has the speed or athletic ability to deny him his trip. The notion that Chrome has ran his best race is laughable. Champions run their best race when challenged . You will see his best when another horse looks him in the eye and wants to pass him, or maybe another horse is just not good enough to ever really challenge him and we won't see how fast he can truly run.

Or maybe Steve Coburn and Art Sherman have grown tired of all the critics, and they will let Victor really get to the bottom of CC in the Belmont regardless how big his lead is knowing CC has a well deserved vacation ahead of him.

Either way CC can run a 1 1/2 or a 1 mile or 1 1/4 mile or 1 3/8 faster than any other 3 year old on the planet.

Are you going to be able to show your face around here if by chance Chrome loses?

Just wondering if that thought has crossed your mind on how you will handle it if it happens.

Grits
05-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Always nice when you can say after the race that you saw it in his eyes two weeks before. ;)

Maybe so, but at least some of can think for ourselves. We're not Lemmings. As far as his connections talking? There's only Alan Sherman, the assistant; the exercise rider, and the groom. Neither Mr.Sherman, and certainly not the owners, are even on the East Coast as of yet.

Please, don't throw up emoticons after attempting to insult me. Its boring, and of no consequence.

Grits
05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Watching that Video i'm like...Where can you see his eyes? Clearly that is. And fire doesn't come from his eyes....It comes from his A$$ when he blows others away.

On a side note....I bet Johnny Weir had that Grooms job.

I'm like....looking at the many close up photos that have been taken of him each morning. Your other comments, I'm sorry, no. I'll pass.

Grits
05-25-2014, 06:35 PM

You're welcome. He loves the click of cameras. He stops, he poses, and he's always so inquisitive. So people oriented. Amazing. Great to see in a racehorse.

Man O War could pose as beautifully as any horse I've ever seen photos of. Barbara has many of his originals.

whodoyoulike
05-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Here's another (better maybe?) video from Bloodhorse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85282/california-chrome-posts-another-strong-gallop

Thanks. As in post #1, he turns his head and looks right at the camera as he's galloping along. This may be the way to beat or slow him down. Just have a bunch of people along the rail pull out their cameras and start taking his picture coming down the stretch.

If he shows up with blinkers, I'll know his connections read this.

JustRalph
05-25-2014, 08:45 PM
You're starting to embarrass yourself. You still have two weeks to get through. Your post below is akin to premature you know what.

Just a question, were you even alive when Secretariat ran?

Christ man! Give it a rest. We've all been here before. Act like you have.......

andtheyreoff
05-25-2014, 08:53 PM

I'm sure that after the race, a light will shine down from the sky, and California Chrome will ascend to Heaven, to be seated alongside God.

breezing
05-25-2014, 09:09 PM
mad scientist, you really need to turn it down a notch or two. i have spent many a morning watching chrome work and i sure as hell won't declare him the winner of any race until he crosses the line first. i'll accept some arrogance from coburn because he/they got very lucky with this colt and he is "his baby" so to speak but there are no guarantees. let's just let CC do his thing and see what happens.

Grits
05-25-2014, 09:46 PM
mad scientist, you really need to turn it down a notch or two. i have spent many a morning watching chrome work and i sure as hell won't declare him the winner of any race until he crosses the line first. i'll accept some arrogance from coburn because he/they got very lucky with this colt and he is "his baby" so to speak but there are no guarantees. let's just let CC do his thing and see what happens.

He doesn't understand this level of common sense or logic, Breezing. He's not capable. Just figure...you tried.

nijinski
05-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Spectacular Bid getting beat by Coastal who was supplemented into
the race .
Watched it at home . I don't know your age Mad S , Bid had so many
fans . Look at his career , it happens to the very best . He still remains
up there as one of the greats , despite the loss .

Cratos
05-25-2014, 11:45 PM
No Horse posed better than Cougar II..IMHO

You must have never seen the great Buckpasser who most knowledgeable horsemen consider to be the most beautiful thoroughbred ever.

goatchaser
05-25-2014, 11:52 PM
I wasn't talking about Beautiful. I thought the comment was posing?? Did you ever see Cougar II walk onto a track? As soon as he came on he would stop....Look around...Shoe barely holding onto his Reigns....The crowd cheering usually for him. He would look into the stands.... After a bit move on down the track and stop again..It was almost like he was waiting for Applause. VJS....You must have seen this since your old like me : )

BlinkersOn
05-26-2014, 12:44 AM
I honestly think Delgado is the real trainer of CC. Art Sherman doesn't have the hands on like Delgado does, and I've read before that Willie is really doing the training. I think CC is going to win, and I'll gladly show myself after the race. I have not felt this way about any TC contender in a very long time, and certainly didn't feel I'll Have Another could do it, nor did I want him too, with the trainer he has. I think CC is the real deal.

Fire in his eyes? Seriously, you are joking, right? He looks happy and healthy, although in the next 2 weeks he could pack on a little weight. There is nothing in the field that really worries me at all, so we shall see.

mostpost
05-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Are you going to be able to show your face around here if by chance Chrome loses?

Just wondering if that thought has crossed your mind on how you will handle it if it happens.
Like Mad Scientist, I think California Chrome will win the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown. And I will tell you why I think that. If I disagree with you, I will tell you why I disagree, but I won't say you are a fool for thinking the way you do.

Should California Chrome lose, I will still be here, disappointed but ready to fight another day.

lamboguy
05-26-2014, 01:45 AM
here is my take: if you are basing your opinion solely on past performances, this will be a very tough race for CALIFORNIA CHROME to win.

the only way you could think that he can win the Belmont is if you think he will improve for it. and i think he needs a big improvement. his work will give you a clue if this is possible. if indeed he does show me that he has made a big improvement between races, i think he will get the job done. right now i am on the side of optimism. up till now this horse has done everything that has been asked of him, no reason to think he will stop getting better now.

nijinski
05-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Like Mad Scientist, I think California Chrome will win the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown. And I will tell you why I think that. If I disagree with you, I will tell you why I disagree, but I won't say you are a fool for thinking the way you do.

Should California Chrome lose, I will still be here, disappointed but ready to fight another day.

MP I think most everyone here would be thrilled to see a TC winner . I think
most will be rooting for Chrome too . I believe as gamblers of this sport we
have seen it all though and we're prepared for the events that have happened in the past . I myself probably like this horse more than ever before in his career as the Belmont day is nearing . If I bet the race . it will
not be a large bet so of course I'll look for a longer price . I will still be
very excited if and when he makes that winning move , That's how it goes ,
at least for me .

Cratos
05-26-2014, 02:51 AM
I wasn't talking about Beautiful. I thought the comment was posing?? Did you ever see Cougar II walk onto a track? As soon as he came on he would stop....Look around...Shoe barely holding onto his Reigns....The crowd cheering usually for him. He would look into the stands.... After a bit move on down the track and stop again..It was almost like he was waiting for Applause. VJS....You must have seen this since your old like me : )

Yes, I did see Cougar II enter the track and like you said he made his entrance known, but on the topic of entrance and making it known I would go with Zenyatta.

Grits
05-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Chrome's gallop this a.m. with comments from his exercise rider, Delgado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLnKfjFpTs&feature=youtu.be

tanner12oz
05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
he reportedly has been working like a "monster" from what I have heard

Vinnie
05-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Chrome's gallop this a.m. with comments from his exercise rider, Delgado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLnKfjFpTs&feature=youtu.be

Thank you very much for posting his gallop for today Grits. Love watching him do his thing out there.

Have a fantastic day. :)

whodoyoulike
05-27-2014, 01:27 PM
A few weeks ago, someone inquired "what to look for when evaluating horses"? CC is a good example of a good looking and confident horse. If you happen to see a horse like this in the lower levels in the pre-race warm ups you should make a bet on them as long as they go off at your acceptable odds. JMO

Thanks again for the links.

Mystic
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Isn't he supposed to work an 1/2 tomorrow? That should help him control some of his aggressiveness in his gallops at least until next week..lol

Grits
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
They're all fun to watch in the morning. Even the goofballs. I've seen plenty of them dump their jocks.. and then the jock taking the walk of shame, cussing all the way back to the barn. With their mount caught by an outrider. Two year old fillies being the worst offenders. :lol:

Cal is especially fun because he's so intelligent, and he loves people.

Still, next week, I'll be mighty hard pressed to get up at 5:30 a.m. just to see Cal.

Mystic
05-27-2014, 06:54 PM
A closer look at Chromes pedigree.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/belmont-stamina-clues-deep-california-chromes-pedigree

Frost king
05-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Just a question, I just watched his last serious work at Los AL, and he was coming down the stretch with his head straight. Why is he coming down now with his head cocked towards the grandstand all the time?

ArlJim78
05-27-2014, 08:48 PM
an easy gallop is not the same as a serious work. especially today he really wanted to run so the rider had to use heavy restraint, cocking his head to the side. either that or he's on the lookout for opossums.

luisbe
05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Just a question, I just watched his last serious work at Los AL, and he was coming down the stretch with his head straight. Why is he coming down now with his head cocked towards the grandstand all the time?

New surroundings.

BettinBilly
05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
A closer look at Chromes pedigree.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/belmont-stamina-clues-deep-california-chromes-pedigree

Boy, some pedigree. Only a Dumb Ass would buy a horse like that! ;)

Frost king
05-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Every horse running at "The Mountain" has the same type of pedigree.

whodoyoulike
05-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Glad you also noticed that. See my posts #12 and #22. I think it's because that's where the photographers are located when he passes he straightens out.

SecretAgentMan
05-27-2014, 11:16 PM

He's a super star in the making & he wants to make sure they get a good picture of him to show in Sports Illustrated.........he loves to pose but like others have stated, he's getting use to his surroundings.

Good idea by Sherman to ship to Belmont 3 weeks before hand.

whodoyoulike
05-28-2014, 03:23 PM
He's a super star in the making & he wants to make sure they get a good picture of him to show in Sports Illustrated.........he loves to pose but like others have stated, he's getting use to his surroundings.

Good idea by Sherman to ship to Belmont 3 weeks before hand.

I won't be betting the Belmont because I don't have enough information for a good race shape for the distance in my database. But, if another video shows him looking back and smiles after he passes the photogs I'm going to make a bet on him.

ArlJim78
05-28-2014, 03:42 PM
It just occured to me that once California Chrome's racing career is over, if they breed him with Zenyatta it will blow up the internet as we know it.

tucker6
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
It just occured to me that once California Chrome's racing career is over, if they breed him with Zenyatta it will blow up the internet as we know it.
If you want to blow up the internet, just start a thread on who would be the better baby mama for CC, Rachel or Zenyatta?? :D

Frost king
05-28-2014, 07:30 PM
What I have found odd about this whole Triple Crown bid, is that there has been nothing said about potential stud deals if he wins? Are the breeding people not impressed and in love with this horse?

SecretAgentMan
05-28-2014, 07:43 PM
What I have found odd about this whole Triple Crown bid, is that there has been nothing said about potential stud deals if he wins? Are the breeding people not impressed and in love with this horse?

Maybe they're not impressed but will be interesting on what they say when he wins it all. I would like to see Chrome race as a 4 year old as well but the owners might decide to retire him after he's proved everyone wrong by winning the TC.... .

letswastemoney
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Greatness on the track does not equal greatness in the shed. His immediate family is too obscure.

jettroofer
05-28-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm way more excited to see the colt out of Curlin and Rachael who should be racing at some point this year as a two year old named Jess's Dream.

Zenyatta and Bernardini have a colt in this years crop as well named Cosmic One that will be interesting to watch.

Mystic
05-29-2014, 09:27 AM
If you want to blow up the internet, just start a thread on who would be the better baby mama for CC, Rachel or Zenyatta?? :D

Rachel wont be having anymore babies.

Redboard
05-29-2014, 09:30 AM
...... I would like to see Chrome race as a 4 year old as well but the owners might decide to retire him after he's proved everyone wrong by winning the TC.... .

If he wins, he’ll be the only living triple crown winner so it’s very possible, that he won’t race again.
Win or lose, I doubt we’ll see CC at Saratoga this summer, or any eastern track. He’ll probably return to CA and given a much-deserved rest before working up to the Breeders Cup.

tucker6
05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Rachel wont be having anymore babies.
I know. It was simply a wistful comment.

horses4courses
06-11-2014, 09:41 AM

I don't see the fire that I saw prior to the Preakness.

Good call, Grits :ThmbUp:
I thought he might get his pep back by race day. Not to be.
He looked dull and too laid back - not like he had looked before.
Be interesting to see if they can get him back to his best again.