PDA

View Full Version : The "frozen moment in time" for each team.

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Almost every sports team (major 4 sports) has a 'flashbulb moment' that is synonymous with that team. For example, the Red Sox "moment" might be Carlton Fisk's "Wave". We have all seen the highlight a million times.

Now, lets keep winning titles out of the discussion as the "moment" for the purpose of this discussion, but pick out a team and give me that amazing moment that is etched in everyone's mind. Of course, some cities and teams have more than one.

A few that come to mind are:

49ers: Montana to Clark "catch"

Bulls: Jordan's winning shot vs Utah and the fistpumps in the air

Yankees: Berra jumping into the arms of Larsen

wiffleball whizz
05-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Buffalo Bills Scott norwoods field goal hooking outside goalposts

Seattle mariners ken Griffey jr sliding into home against the Yankees

tucker6
05-24-2014, 06:50 AM
The Mets and the ball rolling through Buckner's legs.
The Steelers and the Immaculate Reception.

BlueChip@DRF
05-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Scott Norwood missing the winning FG in the final seconds of Super Bowl XXV.

The first play of Super Bowl XVLIII as the ball sailed over Manning's head. That play was a sign of what kind of day the Broncos would have coming to them.

Fact: Bruno Mars, the halftime entertainment star, spent more time on the field than Peyton Manning.

lamboguy
05-24-2014, 08:08 AM
The Celtics, Havlicek, John Havlicek stole the ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fTjcJwImw

wiffleball whizz
05-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Not sure if this derailing the thread but how bout Chris weber calling timeout....

tucker6
05-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Not sure if this derailing the thread but how bout Chris weber calling timeout....
That's a great one

tucker6
05-24-2014, 08:21 AM
The Broncos and the helicopter spin by Elway.

Johnny V
05-24-2014, 08:27 AM
The NY Giants Bobby Thompson's HR against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

tucker6
05-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Lou Gehrig's Yankee farewell defined that generation and team.

wisconsin
05-24-2014, 10:04 AM
The Celtics, Havlicek, John Havlicek stole the ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fTjcJwImw

Some fan stole the ball off the shot and ran away. Great clip. Too bad fans can't storm anymore.

TheEdge07
05-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Kirk Gibson hr

Buffalo, s comback against Oilers with backup Reich

Elways drive

cj's dad
05-24-2014, 10:56 AM
1958- Alan Ameche crossing the goal line in the first sudden death championship game in NFL history. Baltimore Colts win 23-17

cj's dad
05-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Duke's Christian Laetner's game winner from the free throw line vs. Kentucky as time expired

J3_IT622Sbc

cj
05-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Few outside of Terps fans will remember this, but it was the biggest shot of their run to the hoops title, and there isn't a close #2. It was the only time the team ever looked in trouble of losing a game.

sbe2uNaQ3o4

TJDave
05-24-2014, 12:44 PM
October 14, 2003

Sorry, Cub's fans.

RaceBookJoe
05-24-2014, 01:53 PM
A few from my favorite teams :

Redskins : John Riggins TD run in Superbowl 17
Yankees : Reggie Jackson 3rd Hr of game in the WS.
Knicks : Willis Reed walking out on court after injury in NBA championship

Other teams hopefully not mentioned yet :

Packers: Ice Bowl
Steelers : Lynn Swann SB catch
Jet's : Joe Nameth holding 1 finger up after SB 3
Chargers : Kellen Winslow walking off after playoff game shootout

Jens
05-24-2014, 02:15 PM
The Doug Flutie hail mary for BC

PhantomOnTour
05-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Sadly, Namath and "The guarantee" have been surpassed by Sanchez and the "Butt fumble"

Marshall Bennett
05-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Yankees : Reggie Jackson 3rd Hr of game in the WS.
As well as his monster blast in the all-star game off of a flag pole atop Tiger Stadium in right field.

TJDave
05-24-2014, 04:57 PM
What stands out for me is in the '78 series. The force out and interference that scored Munson.

ldiatone
05-24-2014, 04:59 PM
The Mets and the ball rolling through Buckner's legs.
The Steelers and the Immaculate Reception.
according to OAK fans its "Immaculate "DECEPTION" :)

ldiatone
05-24-2014, 05:39 PM
1960 MAZ'S homer bottom of the 9th "pirates win 9-0"
#66.....Mario Lemieux's goals....too many to view...but view...top 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu1Hq-13JcY

goatchaser
05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Magic Johnson's Hook Shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-FO57_fvU

wiffleball whizz
05-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Magic Johnson's Hook Shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-FO57_fvU

Great one!!!!

You always see this shot from a different angle in slow motion

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Whiz and BC, good call on the Norwood miss, i was thinking of that too as the "signature" moment of the Bills, i think that's what "Defines" the Bills (unfortunately for them)

We have a bunch of O's fans here, what's their "Signature moment" is it Cal Ripken taking his laps after the game streak was broken?

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
The Doug Flutie hail mary for BC

Totally. Nothing will surpass that for them.

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I also agree that Elway's "helicopter" will probably never be surpassed in Bronco's lure, he's their greatest ever player (not counting Manning who's not a "True" Bronco) and that was the moment that defined that player's career.

wiffleball whizz
05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Whiz and BC, good call on the Norwood miss, i was thinking of that too as the "signature" moment of the Bills, i think that's what "Defines" the Bills (unfortunately for them)

We have a bunch of O's fans here, what's their "Signature moment" is it Cal Ripken taking his laps after the game streak was broken?

Haven't heard a peep out of the oriole fans.....

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 07:00 PM
:D

Maybe, if you want to say a "bad" flashbulb moment for them was the Jeffrey Maier play in NY on the Jeter "homerun".

That doesn't happen in 2014, that gets overturned on replay.

Ocala Mike
05-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Brooklyn Dodgers - Sandy Amoros' catch in the 6th inning of game 7, 1955 WS. Stuck his right gloved hand out to rob Yogi of a hit, whirled and pegged a perfect throw to Pee Wee, who relayed the ball to Hodges to double Gil McDougald off 1st base, and kill the Yankees' threat. Image of that play will stay with me forever; rest, as they say, is history.

Grits
05-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Duke's Christian Laetner's game winner from the free throw line vs. Kentucky as time expired

J3_IT622Sbc

COTB, when I lived in Lexington, every time they bashed DUKE? I'd remind them of this one. Then watch them really go off! Terribly unforgiving people, those Kentuckians. :lol:

Thanks for posting a favorite.

precocity
05-24-2014, 10:38 PM
COTB, when I lived in Lexington, every time they bashed DUKE? I'd remind them of this one. Then watch them really go off! Terribly unforgiving people, those Kentuckians. :lol:

Thanks for posting a favorite.
DAM GRITS BE ON HER GAME????? :cool:

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 11:09 PM
A few more:

Titans: Music City Miracle

Indiana Pacers: Reggie Miller's miracle game in the garden

Browns: Byner's fumble

Packers: Ice Bowl TD Starr Sneak.

Edit: i saw the 'sneak" was already mentioned.

wiffleball whizz
05-25-2014, 12:39 AM
A few more:

Titans: Music City Miracle

Indiana Pacers: Reggie Miller's miracle game in the garden

Browns: Byner's fumble

Packers: Ice Bowl TD Starr Sneak.

Edit: i saw the 'sneak" was already mentioned.

Driving to Yonkers from nj I cried in the car from a story my fathers friend told me.....

There are 12 people huddled around a tv in a apartment all doing lines of cocaine on a Sunday when byner was going in 11 people yelled touchdown and 1 sat there quite and saw the ball hit the turf.......

The way he described the scene I laughed so hard I was crying

rastajenk
05-25-2014, 06:38 AM
I would think an Orioles moment would involve Brooks Robinson, probably against the Reds in '70. He had a few to choose from.

Reds' moment would have to include Pete, probably his hit #4192, although the Ray Fosse play is right there, too.

cj
05-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Too many to narrow down to 1.

wiffleball whizz
05-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Arizona diamondbacks Luis Gonzalez ball falling in short left center and his reaction.....

In my years of watching the Yankees being I'm 33 has to be leyritz home run against Atlanta

cj's dad
05-25-2014, 01:15 PM
'66 World Series- O's hold the powerful LA Dodgers (who many thought would sweep the O's) to 17 hits, 2 runs in 4 games and hold the D's scoreless for the last 32 innings/ Paul Blair (RIP) and Frank hit solo home runs in games 6 & 7 That is forever etched in my memory. I and a friend went to game 6 and saw Wally Bunker beat Claude Osteen in a complete game. Also, O's beat Drysdale twice.

That series to me is the club's defining moment.

Stillriledup
05-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Arizona diamondbacks Luis Gonzalez ball falling in short left center and his reaction.....

In my years of watching the Yankees being I'm 33 has to be leyritz home run against Atlanta

I would think the "king" homerun is high on the list, does it crack the top 10?

Here's 10 that come to mind, i'm sure there are plenty more, add to the "Yankees list" if you want.
1) Larsen Berra Hug.

2) Jeter's "flip"

3) Jeter diving into stands and coming out with Bloody face.

4) Chambliss HR in 1976

5) Reggie's moment where he hits his 3rd HR in the WS and they immediately cut to the fans standing in the upper deck for a brief moment, you've all seen the highlight

6) Reggie and Billy in the Dugout at Boston.
6A) Brett Pine tar game

7) Bucky Bucky Bucky

8) Aaron Boone

9) King Leyritz HR

10) Maris HR

anotherCAfan
05-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Showtime Lakers have been covered above. How about Robert Horry's shot as another "frozen moment in time" for the Lakers?

wiffleball whizz
05-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I would think the "king" homerun is high on the list, does it crack the top 10?

Here's 10 that come to mind, i'm sure there are plenty more, add to the "Yankees list" if you want.
1) Larsen Berra Hug.

2) Jeter's "flip"

3) Jeter diving into stands and coming out with Bloody face.

4) Chambliss HR in 1976

5) Reggie's moment where he hits his 3rd HR in the WS and they immediately cut to the fans standing in the upper deck for a brief moment, you've all seen the highlight

6) Reggie and Billy in the Dugout at Boston.
6A) Brett Pine tar game

7) Bucky Bucky Bucky

8) Aaron Boone

9) King Leyritz HR

10) Maris HR

Just in my lifetime....

I'll go it my grave thinking the jeter flip is the most overrated play in sports history......... I was very young and had money I didn't have on Oakland that night

Bettowin
05-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Can't remember his name but I think it was Bartman reaching into play causing the inning to go on and the Cubs not making the World Series.

goatchaser
05-26-2014, 01:34 AM
'66 World Series- O's hold the powerful LA Dodgers (who many thought would sweep the O's) to 17 hits, 2 runs in 4 games and hold the D's scoreless for the last 32 innings/ Paul Blair (RIP) and Frank hit solo home runs in games 6 & 7 That is forever etched in my memory. I and a friend went to game 6 and saw Wally Bunker beat Claude Osteen in a complete game. Also, O's beat Drysdale twice.

That series to me is the club's defining moment.
And I hear I thought it was just big ol Boog Powell stretching at 1st base : ).

But Go back a bit further and remember Brooks Robinson against the Reds in the World Sreries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJOA_x9-eU

goatchaser
05-26-2014, 02:13 AM
Ny Giants - Willy Mays catch in centerfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE

Brooklyn Dodgers - Jackie Robinson 1st African American in the Majors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XY-XshGhMU

NY Yankees - Babe Ruth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEX0eb2eBo

Pittsburgh Pirates - Bill Mazeroski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix848GU0gNo

St Louis Cardinals - Bob Gibson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldXACT668g

LA Dodgers - Sandy Koufax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9nEdB

Atlanta Braves - Hank Arron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T93yqPohM

BlueChip@DRF
05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
2001 World Series

Mr. November - Yankees announcer Michael Kay discussing Jeter as a possible Mr. November. Mr. October is, of course, the famous nickname for Yankee great Reggie Jackson, one of the all-time best post-season players. Jeter had already been among the best post-season players since Jackson and occasionally people referred to him as another Mr. October, but Yankee fans don't like to recycle nicknames, so with the possibility of a new month to give him, it caught on with fans.

That's why on October 31st, at least 1 fan came to the stadium with a sign reading "Mr. November", likely intended for Jeter. But of course Jeter still had to earn it...

Then, shortly after midnight, the November Baseball happened for the first time in a non-exhibition game. It was the 10th inning and the game was tied. Jeter blasted the first ever November hit for a walk-off home run, beating the Diamondbacks, the same team whose manager first suggested to Blum that there might be baseball in November.

A camera showed the fan with the sign and the name stuck ever since.

Stillriledup
07-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Ripken breaking streak record was 20 years ago this Sept.

Where does the time go. :(

Hoofless_Wonder
07-23-2015, 08:46 PM
1972 Olympics - U.S. Mens' Basketball Team - refusing to accept the silver medal

1975 - Cowboys/Vikings playoff game Hail Mary pass caught by Drew Pearson, after OBVIOUSLY committing pass interference and knocking down Nate Wright.

1989 - Cowboys/Vikings - the Hershel Walker trade

Valuist
07-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Can't remember his name but I think it was Bartman reaching into play causing the inning to go on and the Cubs not making the World Series.

Yeah, that was his name.

Before that, it would've been Leon Durham letting a ground ball go thru his legs against the Padres in the 1984 NLCS.

Others:

Cowboys: the Staubach Hail Mary to Drew Pearson against the Vikings

Saints: Onside kick to start second half of SB vs Colts

SF Giants: Bumgarner coming in from the bullpen with 5 innings left to play in game 7.

NY Giants: David Tyree with "The Catch"