PDA

View Full Version : Are Possums good or Bad Luck?

goatchaser
05-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Seems Ca Chrome had a match race today with a Possum on the Track.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/california-chrome-possum

Dark Horse
05-24-2014, 03:20 AM
Yeah, but Espinoza had a big piece of birthday cake slammed in his face on camera. Never saw it coming. Gotta love Michelle Yu.

Possums and birthday cakes. Isn't there a rule that they cancel each other out?

Grits
05-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Triple Chrome, as he's being called, has something to say about his close encounter.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/California_Chrome_vs_The_Opossum_Video_123#

cj
05-24-2014, 12:10 PM
My dogs end the life of opossums on a regular basis and don't seem to be having any bad luck.

FantasticDan
05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
My dogs end the life of opossums on a regular basis and don't seem to be having any bad luck.Aw, poor possums. :ThmbDown: I live out in the country and have had many a possum friend over the yrs. They get a bad rap, they're actually very neat (and quiet/gentle) creatures.

cj
05-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Aw, poor possums. :ThmbDown: I live out in the country and have had many a possum friend over the yrs. They get a bad rap, they're actually very neat (and quiet/gentle) creatures.

I don't mind them, I just wish they would figure out not to come in the yard. I think they are pretty cool looking and don't hurt anything.

Shemp Howard
05-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Possum stew?

Hmmmmmm doggies, as Jed Clampett sez. :)

Halyard
05-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't mind them, I just wish they would figure out not to come in the yard. I think they are pretty cool looking and don't hurt anything.

Never see the critters in the daylight, but out on the deck at 3 or 4 in the morning it's like opossum, raccoon, black bear, unicorns. Different world at night. My dog got wise - skunk encounter. Won't even scare up the squirrels anymore.

taxicab
05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
California Chrome must of been thinking....."What's up with this Belmont Park,theres a giant rat out here!".
Wildlife sidebar: I walk right by the raccoons just about every morning (4:00 am),they never bother me.
But we also have Coyote that make early morning rounds on occasion......I kind of keep a close eye on them. :eek:

MargieRose
05-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Question: My dog kills opossums. What can I do? :confused:

Answer: Keep the dog indoors at night. This way the dog will not be able to injure or kill the opossums. Take the dog outside on a leash to do his “business”. If not possible to keep the dog indoors, then confine the dog to the garage or a run from dusk to dawn. If again not possible, then place a few large PVC pipes (8 inch diameter, 5-6 feet in length) in the yard. This will provide the opossum with a place to escape, should an attack occur. Remove pet food and other attractants from your yard to encourage opossums to move on.

http://opossumsocietyus.org/faq-opossum/#My%20dog%20kills%20opossums
(http://opossumsocietyus.org/faq-opossum/#Opossum%20Pooping%20in%20yard)

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2014, 03:25 AM
I hope to have my own society one day...

precocity
05-25-2014, 04:32 AM
that lets me know 1000? ext. straight CC-roc? ;)

KingChas
05-25-2014, 07:40 AM
My dogs end the life of opossums on a regular basis

Expect a call from Mr. Gumbel............... :eek: :D

MargieRose
05-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Interesting...And what might that be??

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2014, 02:32 AM
Interesting...And what might that be??That's not for me to decide, now is it?

Robert Goren
05-26-2014, 08:26 AM
I was dubbed "possum" by my bridge partner and it stuck for a decade. Let me assure if sit down at a bridge or poker table with this "possum", you will have bad luck.

Valuist
05-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Isn't this forum a kind of society of its own?

MargieRose
05-26-2014, 10:58 AM
That's not for me to decide, now is it?

Quite possibly, yes, and perhaps you already have, Mr. PaceAdvantage...

"The soul selects her own society."
Emily D.

BlueShoe
05-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Aw, poor possums. :ThmbDown: I live out in the country and have had many a possum friend over the yrs. They get a bad rap, they're actually very neat (and quiet/gentle) creatures.
For sure, they are really very inoffensive. All that hissing and snarling they may sometimes display is all bluff, in a real fight, they are creampuffs, and just about any other critter can whip them. In my neighborhood they often share food side by side with the feral cats, and if there is ever any spats, a healthy adult cat easily sends a possum on it's way. There is, of course, the threat of them carrying a disease, including rabies, so that is always a thought to keep in mind.

FantasticDan
05-27-2014, 11:19 AM
There is, of course, the threat of them carrying a disease, including rabies, so that is always a thought to keep in mind.Rabies in possums is extremely rare, practically non-existent. Their normal body temp runs too low for the rabies virus.

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Isn't this forum a kind of society of its own?I would think a society would be a champion of its cause... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so much the case here... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bettowin
05-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Rabies in possums is extremely rare, practically non-existent. Their normal body temp runs too low for the rabies virus.

Exactly. You have a better chance of getting rabies from a horse. Had a friend get bit by a possum so I did some research. Also told his wife he should be fine unless she found him sleeping in the closet upside down:)

BlueShoe
05-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Okay, I was wrong about rabies, should have known better. :blush: However, they do carry other stuff. I rather like them, but they are not very bright. We sometimes set traps for feral cats for trap/neuter/release, and the possums often walk right into them, while the cats are more cautious, and a few will not come close to a trap. When I go to release them, the possums are very passive and not aggressive, a couple of them just sat in the trap when the door was opened, and had to be coaxed to scurry out and vanish. :)
http://daviswiki.org/opossums

Robert Goren
05-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Okay, I was wrong about rabies, should have known better. :blush: However, they do carry other stuff. I rather like them, but they are not very bright. We sometimes set traps for feral cats for trap/neuter/release, and the possums often walk right into them, while the cats are more cautious, and a few will not come close to a trap. When I go to release them, the possums are very passive and not aggressive, a couple of them just sat in the trap when the door was opened, and had to be coaxed to scurry out and vanish. :)
http://daviswiki.org/opossums Did you neuter the possums before you released them?:lol:

taxicab
05-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Exactly. You have a better chance of getting rabies from a horse. Had a friend get bit by a possum so I did some research. Also told his wife he should be fine unless she found him sleeping in the closet upside down:)

:D :lol:

BlueShoe
05-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Did you neuter the possums before you released them?:lol:
Are you volunteering to help out? :cool: :ThmbUp: If so, come on out. After we catch a possum, you can remove it from the trap and place it in the carrier. We will drive to the animal clinic and drop it off. After you pay the vet, we can then go to Santa Anita, where, hopefully, you will win enough to recoup your expenses. :D