PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

Tom
05-23-2014, 09:13 PM
So I'm trying to help my sister with her tablet over the phone.
It is an Archos, with, I guess, Android? whatever that is.....
She needs to install Flash player so she can open some e-cards her friend sends here. After about 4 hours, we finally found the one she needs and downloaded it, now she gets a message that you can't run it on Chrome, but you can on FF. So we try to download FF, but what she gets on here table is what I get on my desktop, using the exact same address.

I can download FF, but she has to go through Google Store???
It is free, but you need to open an account. Deal breaker. No account, not gonna happen. No interest in anything Goggle has to offer. All she wants to is read emails and surf the web. I guess this is too much to ask of a computer? :rolleyes:

My question, can I take my downloaded file and install it on here table from a thumb drive?

JustRalph
05-24-2014, 12:05 AM
So I'm trying to help my sister with her tablet over the phone.
It is an Archos, with, I guess, Android? whatever that is.....
She needs to install Flash player so she can open some e-cards her friend sends here. After about 4 hours, we finally found the one she needs and downloaded it, now she gets a message that you can't run it on Chrome, but you can on FF. So we try to download FF, but what she gets on here table is what I get on my desktop, using the exact same address.

I can download FF, but she has to go through Google Store???
It is free, but you need to open an account. Deal breaker. No account, not gonna happen. No interest in anything Goggle has to offer. All she wants to is read emails and surf the web. I guess this is too much to ask of a computer? :rolleyes:

My question, can I take my downloaded file and install it on here table from a thumb drive?

Nope. She needs a special version from the google store, depending her version of android. You can "side load" it but you have download the apk package for version of android. Real pain the ass.......and I have already exceeded my android knowledge ..........that's why I always just use what's in the google store.

Canarsie
05-24-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't know if Archos uses the play store lots of the smaller tablet manufacturers don't.

Here are two that support flash within the browser. I don't use either one of them read the reviews using a google search.

Photon

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsverse.photon

Have to buy this for full support. It never hurts to pay a developed for a program you like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmosa.puffinFree

You can always set up a dummy account there are millions on Facebook and they don't do a darn thing.

Hope this helps.

Tom
05-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Dummy account.....I like that. A fraud account with a fraud company. :D
I will try that - no earthly reason to be giving out personal information to suspect internet outfits.

I was amazed at the total deception out there trying to get the Flash player. When I finally found the one I needed, there were no less than FOUR download now buttons designed to look like what I was after but not - the one I wanted was scrolled down, on the far right, and in tiny print. Nice try, Adobe.

My opinion of Adobe could not be any lower today - I think they are nothing but frauds.

fast4522
05-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Sometime it is just like racing, you have to find the value. With tablets on the low end you have to get better than Bluetooth 2.0, Bluetooth 3.0 or better is much more useful.Today flash may be the rage but I think successfully enjoying the tablet means better integrating within your home. The IR blaster port is neat in the home entertainment room of your house using it as a remote with different menus that the cable has. The Bluetooth I am really getting into having ordered (6) 2.0 dongles and (2) 4.0 dongles (USB) for very short cash @ Amazon.com.

Tom
05-24-2014, 06:00 PM
She uses it for email and the go to websites. Nothing more, no interest in anything more.

That is why I will never get a tablet - no use for 90% of what they do.
I still don't rally like m desktop! :D

DOS 3.2 - downhill ever since.

fast4522
05-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Did you know tablets do MS Dos, Speculator, VAL4, etc. Dosbox and any MS Dos handicapping program worked flawlessly on my Samsung including Kgen.

Tom
05-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I have no interest in using a tablet for anything.
I refuse to use any kind of a touch screen and the keyboards you get with them are too small. I don't even turn my cell on half the time. When I am out, I don't need to be connected to anything.

I sent my very first text message last night from my cell phone.
Will never use that function again. :D

JustRalph
05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I have no interest in using a tablet for anything.
I refuse to use any kind of a touch screen and the keyboards you get with them are too small. I don't even turn my cell on half the time. When I am out, I don't need to be connected to anything.

I sent my very first text message last night from my cell phone.
Will never use that function again. :D

I just found a copy of your text.........

"Dear Verizon, **** You!

Love Tom"

Tom
05-24-2014, 09:05 PM
I would never send a message like that.
But Tommy Malice......

Capper Al
05-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Would I be expecting too much out of a tablet if I put Microsoft Office on it. Word and PowerPoint shouldn't be a problem, I'm guessing. Excel and Access might be too demanding?

Does anybody know?

JustRalph
05-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Would I be expecting too much out of a tablet if I put Microsoft Office on it. Word and PowerPoint shouldn't be a problem, I'm guessing. Excel and Access might be too demanding?

Does anybody know?

The surface comes with office. Get out your big bucks.....although the new one (coming in a few months) might be worth it

You can run office on an iPad . For half the cost

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/27/office-for-ipad-review-surprisingly-worth-the-wait/

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2014, 02:45 AM
You can run anything and everything on the Dell Venue 8 pro.

It's a surprisingly quick little tablet that runs full windows 8. Comes in 32GB or 64GB drive. The 32GB can be had for $250...but I would opt for the bigger SSD for about $300. These are Amazon prices...I know the 32GB model has been priced as low as $199 at times, and that's quite the bargain.

I have the 32GB model and use it almost every day...I think it's the best Windows tablet ever...the first one that can totally compete with the iPad in terms of form and power.

It is an 8" screen, so keep that in mind...plus you really need to buy the optional stylus if you want to work in the good ol' familiar Windows desktop...that will set you back another $30...

The thing will fit in your back pocket...

mabred
05-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Pa

where did u get the stylus?? they said there was a big

problem with them " RECALL".$ 30.00 seems cheap they were almost

a c note I thought?

mabred

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
NO...they weren't anywhere near $100.

DELL has fixed the stylus...I ordered one from them in March and received it once the new version started shipping...it works perfectly.

You can get it from the DELL site for $35

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=750-AADH&ref=meekosystems

Capper Al
05-26-2014, 10:55 AM
The prices dropped right after I bought one.

mabred
05-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the help mike

mbred