PDA

View Full Version : "REMINISCENCES OF A STOCK OPERATOR"...

thaskalos
05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I doubt that this book needs any introduction...so I will only say that it is the book most-often lavished with praise wherever veteran stock or commodity traders congregate. The classic of all stock trading classics, its wisdom has withstood the test of time...and it's odds-on that this book will retain the top spot in the world of trading literature, for the decades to come.

I first read this book when I was a young man, and I have kept a copy of it on my shelf throughout my life, to this day. But the optimism and the impetuousness of youth prevented me from fully implementing the book's sage advice...and its lessons had gone forgotten through the years. Well...I was browsing the audible.com website one night, and I found the unabridged audio version of this book offered at a reasonable price. Buying it turned out to be the single smartest thing that I've ever done in my long and varied gambling career. I've been listening to this book over and over in my car, and have been so struck by the wisdom that is dispensed through it...that I've decided to remind my friends here at Paceadvantage about it.

You've probably read the book...but if you are anything like me...then you remember very little about it. Pick up the audio version of this book from audible.com. It is narrated in the most competent and professional manner possible...and it will be the best $20 you've ever spent. This is not just a stock market book; this is a book for ALL gamblers or investors...as well as a great book on the philosophy of the adventurous life. The word "classic" is overused in society today...but, in this case, "classic" is the only word that could do this book justice.

The only down side to revisiting this book was the deep regret I felt when I realized how much money it had costed me to ignore this advice when I first encountered it, many years prior. But my regret was quickly pacified...when I remembered that the man who was responsible for this book also ignored his own advice -- and it costed HIM a heck of a lot more.

Trust me on this one, and buy this audio book...even if you think that you've read the book before. I promise you that you will thank me.

Thaskalos gives this book FIVE STARS...along with a round of applause. BRAVO! :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
there is no better book in print, Jessie

Tape Reader
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
SPY weekly’s. Better than “bucket shops.” Mr. Livermore lives!

Clocker
05-22-2014, 10:19 PM
I haven't read it, but it looks interesting. Apparently it is in the public domain, and there is a free PDF download (http://www.thebullbear.com/forum/topics/download-a-pdf-of) of it available, so I will start with a few chapters of it there.

magwell
05-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I just ordered it from Amazon for 4.50 paperback.......

badcompany
05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Livermore wrote a book:

http://os24.org/files/a-z/speculation/Jesse_Livermore-How_To_Trade_In_Stocks_(1940_original)-EN.pdf

highnote
05-23-2014, 10:42 AM
I have the book on my shelf, too, and have read it several times, but for the life of me I cannot figure out his system.

I have looked at his charting system at least a dozen times, but it never makes sense to me. The but and sell signals don't seem clear.

Maybe I need to go back and look at it again.

As far as his general stock market advice, I agree, it is very good. It reminds me of Pittsburgh Phil's book on horse racing. It's old wisdom, but most of it stands the test of time.