PDA

View Full Version : Has a president ever been your 'hero'?

Stillriledup
05-21-2014, 05:59 PM
I know when i was growing up, my "heroes" were ball players and stuff like that, i dont ever remember hearing anyone say "the President of the USA is MY hero" but as far as i know, it could have existed.

Has a president of the US ever been people's "hero" or is the hero worship left to athletes?

TJDave
05-21-2014, 06:14 PM
The first President I can recollect from childhood actually was a genuine hero:

Dwight David Eisenhower

RunForTheRoses
05-21-2014, 07:26 PM
No.

PICSIX
05-21-2014, 07:35 PM
No, all politicians are liars. Liars are NOT heroes.

Jeff P
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I have an uncle who served in the Army for over 20 years. He saw tours of duty in both Korea and Vietnam. I recall receiving a package in the mail from him about a week before my 9th birthday. It was a book about JFK and PT109. After that, I somehow understood those who had risked it all for their country were actually deserving of the 'hero' title whereas others who had achieved celebrity status alone through other means were not.

And yes, to this day, this nine year old still views at least one former president in that same light.

-jp

therussmeister
05-21-2014, 08:14 PM
I've never had a hero, (maybe that's why I never amounted to anything), because even at a young age I could always see a person's flaws along with their assets.

lamboguy
05-21-2014, 08:21 PM
i loved Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Reagan with a double love, Bush, and Clinton. i don't have to much love for Bush and Obama. but maybe because they are both to arrogant and don't operate in the best interest of our county. or maybe i don't really know what the best path is for this country.

jobs leaving this country and bankers stealing all types of moneyfrom hard working people having to support the bankers really don't make to much sense to me. but maybe i am wrong and that's really the way its supposed to be. this week alone 2 banks signed up for big fines, one has to pay $3billion, the other one $5billion. no one goes to jail, and you wonder if they have all this money put away to pay the fines, how much money did they steal from us to begin with?

Tom
05-21-2014, 09:01 PM
At the time, JFK, hands down.

Since then, the list of presidents belongs in the Post Office.
On wanted posters.

I would say the last few have been the least useful people in history. To bad the lot of them were not aborted.

elysiantraveller
05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
I personally think JFK was a catastrophe waiting to happen...

Tom
05-21-2014, 10:38 PM
You thought that in 1960?
And NIXON looked OK?

Overlay
05-21-2014, 10:40 PM
To be bipartisan about it:

Ronald Reagan, for showing that Democratic control of both houses of Congress was not an immutable law of Nature.

Bill Clinton, for making possible the 1994 breaking of the forty-year Democratic monopoly (during both Democratic and Republican administrations) on the House of Representatives, where the Republicans had last held a majority when I was less than a year old, and where I had wondered if I would ever again see a Republican majority in my lifetime.

Johnny V
05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
JFK when I was just a kid at that time when he was president. Looking back now I would say that the only one that I would even consider a true hero would be Eisenhower.

Hoofless_Wonder
05-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Not in my lifetime. If I was 235 years old, George Washington would qualify.

Since then, nothing but political hacks.

Marshall Bennett
05-22-2014, 05:48 AM
JFK probably gained more respect abroad than any other. He let the world know we'd fight if provoked. None of them were my heroes though.

HUSKER55
05-22-2014, 07:11 AM
they are all crooked politicians. Ask yourself this. If there was a law that said all politicians could not show capital-gains and all assets were frozen while in office, how many would be there?

It would be interesting to see how their office expenses are compensated for , how much and to whom.