PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Texas - life in prison for hash brownies?

horses4courses
05-20-2014, 10:47 PM
I'd expect this in some banana republic - oh hell, it's Texas, isn't it?

http://news.yahoo.com/life-in-prison-pot-hash-brownies-texas-150807587.html

JustRalph
05-20-2014, 11:25 PM
If you're going to play with fire...........I guess you better learn the rules

johnhannibalsmith
05-20-2014, 11:43 PM
The same crowd that begs for those goofy guidelines are the ones out crying about the cost to incarcerate them.

NJ Stinks
05-20-2014, 11:47 PM
The old man said the magic words: " I'm a conservative."

Well, this is what conservatives are quite capable of. Congratulations for helping to subject your son to insanity.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2014, 02:11 AM
They should put him away for life...teach these idiots who harbor this kind of mentality a lesson.

But you know he won't spend life behind bars. 5 years to life is a lot of leeway...so for his fans out there, don't sweat it. The Candyman will be back on the streets in no time. And the world will undoubtedly be a better place because of it... :rolleyes:

ArlJim78
05-21-2014, 04:54 AM
he's been charged, not tried, convicted, and sentenced.
newsflash: he's not going to get life in prison.

maddog42
05-21-2014, 06:49 AM
They should put him away for life...teach these idiots who harbor this kind of mentality a lesson.

But you know he won't spend life behind bars. 5 years to life is a lot of leeway...so for his fans out there, don't sweat it. The Candyman will be back on the streets in no time. And the world will undoubtedly be a better place because of it... :rolleyes:

Getting life for nonviolent marijuana crimes isn't as rare as people think.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-in-prison-for-pot-as-laws-ease-some-remain-behind-bars/

horses4courses
05-21-2014, 07:11 AM

That says a lot, right there.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
That says a lot, right there.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.You should definitely be crying...the liberals and Democrats in general have fostered the mentality that leads to people wasting their lives trying to create new and interesting baked goods drug delivery systems. I say enough is enough!!

:lol: :lol:

Bunch of dopes anyway these idiot drug dealers....

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
he's been charged, not tried, convicted, and sentenced.
newsflash: he's not going to get life in prison.Which makes one wonder how long this thinly veiled propaganda piece has been waiting in the wings over at "Yahoo News"...probably way before this particular guy was caught and charged.

Tom
05-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Wow.
I guess this just goes to show we have no problems at all in this country, no threats from terrorism, no crime, no illegal border crossings.

Yo know who belongs in jail?
The idiot who arrested him, and his boss.

Alice B. Toklas is rolling over in her grave.:lol:
It's a joint, man.....chill.

Marshall Bennett
05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
The law is the law. His defense attorney complains that the weight included the entire batch of brownies. Same goes with heroin, where although it may be cut with 90% of a legal substance, you still get charged with the total weight, often including whatever container it's found in.
This issue goes further than possession or delivery of a controlled substance. The fact that the bum was concealing it with an intent to poison others is despicable, and in my opinion deserves the maximum penalty.

Tom
05-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Poison others?????

Mystic
05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Poison others?????

:D

Valuist
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Which makes one wonder how long this thinly veiled propaganda piece has been waiting in the wings over at "Yahoo News"...probably way before this particular guy was caught and charged.

MSNBC looks conservative compared to Yahoo News; arguably the worst source of news in North America.

TJDave
05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
If you're going to play with fire...........I guess you better learn the rules

Exactly. Unless/until the citizens of Texas decide to change the law, it is what it is. If'n daddy don't like it he should've schooled his son better.

Isn't that what conservatives are supposed to do? ;)

Tom
05-21-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't know about all conservatives, but the Tea Party - the original one - was founded to break the laws.

maddog42
05-22-2014, 07:32 AM
The law is the law. His defense attorney complains that the weight included the entire batch of brownies. Same goes with heroin, where although it may be cut with 90% of a legal substance, you still get charged with the total weight, often including whatever container it's found in.
This issue goes further than possession or delivery of a controlled substance. The fact that the bum was concealing it with an intent to poison others is despicable, and in my opinion deserves the maximum penalty.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/rush-limbaugh-arrested-on-prescription-drug-charges/

You guys seem to have a double standard depending on the drug and the person. Rush used to say "throw away the key" on drug offenders, until he was busted. Don't hear much about "throw away the key" from Rush anymore.

horses4courses
05-22-2014, 10:41 AM
If'n daddy don't like it he should've schooled his son better. Isn't that what conservatives are supposed to do? ;)

Truth is, conservative parents have some of the most screwed up kids out there.
Children need discipline - yes.
An iron hand? Not on your life.

JustRalph
05-22-2014, 11:09 AM

yeah, right. find me that documented somewhere.

Btw, first thing you're going to have to do is throw out all the minority kids.

You know, the ones who commit 55% of all violent crime? The ones who are in arrested at a rate of 49% during their lifetime.

Then get back to me.................

Tom
05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Throw out all the second, third, and fourth generation anchors while you are at it.

Marshall Bennett
05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
You can't seriously believe that.

horses4courses
05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
yeah, right. find me that documented somewhere.

Btw, first thing you're going to have to do is throw out all the minority kids.

You know, the ones who commit 55% of all violent crime? The ones who are in arrested at a rate of 49% during their lifetime.

Then get back to me.................

I won't bother pasting link after link from doctors on the effects of overly strict parenting. Waste of my time.

Minorities, according to you, are the cause of the vast majority of our ills.
No solutions ever put forward - just a latent desire to wipe them all out.

horses4courses
05-22-2014, 12:11 PM
You can't seriously believe that.

Because they come from a middle class background with "involved" parents is not a guarantee for a successful upbringing.

Example: Mr. Hash Brownies

Tom
05-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Your premise that conservatives raise their kids with an iron hand.
I think it probably not true, just like all dems don't raise their kids as communists. Just most. :rolleyes::D

Marshall Bennett
05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Because they come from a middle class background with "involved" parents is not a guarantee for a successful upbringing
No, but it sets them on a head start. Any child can get derailed for a number of reasons.

ArlJim78
05-22-2014, 03:32 PM
ah yes, nothing like a good ole bigoted smear to start the day.
Like I always say, when in doubt malign those who think differently.

horses4courses
05-22-2014, 03:45 PM
ah yes, nothing like a good ole bigoted smear to start the day.
Like I always say, when in doubt malign those who think differently.

Where'd that come from?

All I'm saying is this - a problem kid can come from any household.
Rich or poor, with involved parents - or not.

JustRalph
05-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Where'd that come from?

All I'm saying is this - a problem kid can come from any household.
Rich or poor, with involved parents - or not.

That is not what you said.

You made a bullshit smear. And got called on it. Where did I ever say I wanted to "wipe anybody out?"

You scold me for not proposing solutions? You can't change the culture of an entire group of people. They must provide positive changes. Themselves. They must cut the head off their own demons. You know, the ones named Jesse and Al? There are multiple reasons among multiple minority groups.

So far that hasn't happen. Btw, minorities don't act as a monolith. There are plenty of great families who make the decision to break away every day. But not enough.......

horses4courses
05-22-2014, 07:39 PM
That is not what you said.

You made a bullshit smear. And got called on it. Where did I ever say I wanted to "wipe anybody out?"

You scold me for not proposing solutions? You can't change the culture of an entire group of people. They must provide positive changes. Themselves. They must cut the head off their own demons. You know, the ones named Jesse and Al? There are multiple reasons among multiple minority groups.

So far that hasn't happen. Btw, minorities don't act as a monolith. There are plenty of great families who make the decision to break away every day. But not enough.......

I did make a smear regarding your post, and I apologize.
Got a little carried away over my morning coffee.

I don't believe that Arl Jim was referring to that post, but so be it.

The last part of the above post is a very fair point,
and it would be nice if more families were able to make changes for the better.

maddog42
05-23-2014, 06:36 PM
"There’s nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up," Mr. Limbaugh declared on his radio show on October 5th, 1995.***

http://bradleyreport.net/commentary/StonedRush.htm

Here is what the record to date shows: Mr. Limbaugh’s housekeeper, Wilma Cline, approached Florida media and Florida authorities to reveal that she had acted as Rush Limbaugh’s drug buyer for years, purchasing "more than 30,000 hydrocodone, Lorcet and OcyContin pills," and she reports he "took as many as 30 OxyContin pills a day."**** Florida authorities then began investigating, and Ms. Cline’s allegations have apparently proved solid, certainly solid enough for the State of Florida to take action.

Lets hear it guys. How many of you think that Rush should have done about 18 months behind bars?

JustRalph
05-23-2014, 07:18 PM
"There’s nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up," Mr. Limbaugh declared on his radio show on October 5th, 1995.***

http://bradleyreport.net/commentary/StonedRush.htm

Here is what the record to date shows: Mr. Limbaugh’s housekeeper, Wilma Cline, approached Florida media and Florida authorities to reveal that she had acted as Rush Limbaugh’s drug buyer for years, purchasing "more than 30,000 hydrocodone, Lorcet and OcyContin pills," and she reports he "took as many as 30 OxyContin pills a day."**** Florida authorities then began investigating, and Ms. Cline’s allegations have apparently proved solid, certainly solid enough for the State of Florida to take action.

Lets hear it guys. How many of you think that Rush should have done about 18 months behind bars?

Prescription drugs cannot be lumped in with illicit street drugs. Different animal and motivation. Btw, John F. Kennedy was drug dependent just like Rush Limbaugh. His was a war injury. Both back injuries. How many months should Kennedy have done? He had two Doctors prescribing him and supplying him. Sound familiar?

maddog42
05-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Prescription drugs cannot be lumped in with illicit street drugs. Different animal and motivation. Btw, John F. Kennedy was drug dependent just like Rush Limbaugh. His was a war injury. Both back injuries. How many months should Kennedy have done? He had two Doctors prescribing him and supplying him. Sound familiar?

You are quite right about the "illicit drugs" being different from street drugs.
The street drug in this case (marijuana) is far less dangerous and deadly.
Not just opinion either, Oxycontin, also know as "hillbilly heroin" is one of the strongest narcotics in existence. I have a crazy kind of admiration for Rush. Anybody who can do 30 oxy's and still give a radio performance is one tough junkie.
Doctor shopping during JFK's tenure wasn't even illegal. Rush was scoring from his housekeeper, Wilma Cline. She acted as his "drug buyer". Maybe JFK should have done time, that is not my question. How much time should Rush have done given that the Marijuana Kid might get life and many, many Marijuana criminals have gotten life sentences. Nice try Ralph.

maddog42
05-23-2014, 10:45 PM

Funny you should bring up Kennedy's Doctors. My ex brother-in-laws dad was Kennedy's Doctor. He never said much about Drug use, but it is documented.
Putting him in the same category as Rush is a stretch.

JustRalph
05-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Funny you should bring up Kennedy's Doctors. My ex brother-in-laws dad was Kennedy's Doctor. He never said much about Drug use, but it is documented.
Putting him in the same category as Rush is a stretch.

How so? They both were hooked after an injury? It's very common. I was a hospital cop in the 80's and participated in many investigations where patients would steal drugs, barter with staff, bribe nurses etc. I once arrested a nurse that was taking 30-35 Percocet's a day while working. They build up a high tolerance pretty fast.

maddog42
05-24-2014, 10:05 AM
How so? They both were hooked after an injury? It's very common. I was a hospital cop in the 80's and participated in many investigations where patients would steal drugs, barter with staff, bribe nurses etc. I once arrested a nurse that was taking 30-35 Percocet's a day while working. They build up a high tolerance pretty fast.

You avoided my question. I really want to know if you think Rush should have done a few months jail time. No big deal to me, one way or the other. I do believe that as Pot becomes more legal in many states, that many of the people in this thread will change their minds about a life sentence for this young man. I personally think he should do about 30 days to give him a taste of jail, and then crack down on him for future crimes.

Tom
05-24-2014, 11:15 AM
No, he should not have.
And 90% of all the other dug arrests for using should not have either.

JustRalph
05-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Ok. No

delayjf
05-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I for one would not arrest a user, I would however hammer the dog s**t out of a pusher. Nobody does time simply for using, unless you violate probation or parole.

Interesting to find out that Amsterdam has modified their drug laws. Tourist can no longer go there to get high.

Marshall Bennett
05-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Interesting to find out that Amsterdam has modified their drug laws. Tourist can no longer go there to get high.
Maybe they're afraid they won't leave. :cool:

forced89
05-25-2014, 12:11 PM

I live in Texas and like the way we handle things down here. The sentence is 5 years to life, not life. The guy convicted will probably get out in about 2 years but how many who hear about the sentence will be deterred from doing the same thing?

A while back a rancher who found a ranch hand violating his Daughter behind the barn beat the guy to death. He was no-billed by the Grand Jury. IMO this was also appropriate. In many other states the rancher would have had to go to trial.

Justice in Texas may not always be perfect but it is usually swift and appropriate.

Marshall Bennett
05-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Justice in Texas may not always be perfect but it is usually swift and appropriate.
A more conservative justice system than most, has seen dozens of new prisons built in the past 30 years to accommodate prisoners deserving of being sent there.
No, it's not perfect and mistakes are made, but it's probably the best in the country. The slogan "Don't mess with Texas" didn't come about without merit.

Tom
05-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow!
You are equating beating a guy to death with a pot brownie?
I guess as far as Texas goes, I'l Passo.

nearco
05-25-2014, 04:41 PM
It the guy had been caught a couple of miles away in the adjoining Travis County (where most of Austin is located... parts of Austin are in Williamson Co.), he would likely have gotten only a slap on the wrist.

JustRalph
05-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Wow!
You are equating beating a guy to death with a pot brownie?
I guess as far as Texas goes, I'l Passo.

I don't think he made a comparison..........he was commenting on a separate turn the thread took.........not that threads ever turn....... :rolleyes:

JustRalph
08-07-2014, 01:01 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/life-in-prison-pot-hash-brownies-texas-150807587.html

Heard an interview with the prosecutor in this case today via radio.

He stated that from the start of this case they offered the guy a "no jail time" plea deal. He states that the attorney representing the guy is trying to grandstand for publicity and the Judge is now involved in investigating the defense attorney for not representing his client properly.

Looks like something will be happening soon

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Heard an interview with the prosecutor in this case today via radio.

He stated that from the start of this case they offered the guy a "no jail time" plea deal. He states that the attorney representing the guy is trying to grandstand for publicity and the Judge is now involved in investigating the defense attorney for not representing his client properly.

Looks like something will be happening soon

They ought to be able to spot grandstanding if anyone can.