PDA

View Full Version : Software Questions

andicap
04-19-2004, 09:14 AM
What do the following MS software apps do?

1. Front Page

2. Visio

3. SharePoint Services

4. SharePoint Portal Server

5. OneNote

Thanks

andicap
04-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Maybe some telco tech employees lurking out there can help me.

I've got two lines coming into my house now.

Verizon -- my original phone line

Cablevision -- new Voice over IP service.

In several rooms I have two jacks, one for Verizon, one for CV. Verizon is for incoming calls because I need two lines and Cablevision would not let me keep my former phone number.
Cablevision techs came in and put in their jacks in two rooms.

In one of the rooms, my old cordless phone -- no caller ID tho -- works fine on the Verizon jack. But none of my other cordless phones -- they are newer models than the old cordless one which does work -- work when I plug them into the Verizon jack, tho they work fine in the Cablevision jacks.

What in tarnation is going on here?

(FYI, I switched back from Dish Net to Cablevision despite losing the TVG channel because Cablevision game me an unbelievable deal for switching -- $100 a month for TOTAL hi-speed service ($45 on its own), telco [(free long distance, caller ID, call waiting, etc.)] and digital cable service valued at $60.) promotion is good for 12 months. CVC telco is OK, but you should keep a cell phone just in case because it will lose dial tone service once in a while.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tom
04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Andy,
Viso is a flow chart program. There are many pre-packaged symbols in it and you can even create your own. We use it to make our Organization Charts atre work, but process/system flow charting is also possile. An easy program to learn and use-I picked it up trial and error, never opened the users guide.

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2004, 01:01 AM
FrontPage is a web design tool.

yak merchant
04-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Wow I'm a dork.

1) Web Page Editor and designer. Easy to use. But hardcore web developers deem it total crap. Writes HTML in it's own bizarre form that will not run on all webservers.

2) What Tom said. I use it all the time for Business Process and Flow Diagrams. Lot's of IT guys use it to map out there networks and wiring.

3) Sharepoint services are tools that come with windows server 2003 that basically allow for business to share information. Kind of like a built in intranet, where employees can post there calendars, schedule meetings, post documents for others to review, share contact info. Companies used to pay (and still do) developers lots of money to develop intranets for these collaboration tools. Now uncle Bill has thrown them in.

4) Sharepoint Portal 2003. From what I've seen it is the new management tools that sit on top of the Sharepoint Services and will tie all of there applications together. It helps you develop and maintain the Sharepoint services, allows you to customize what each user sees, and comes with some other applications. I don't know what all exactly it does now, but it's targeted to help enterprises tie all their information together especially with regards Microsoft Business Solutions accounting and CRM systems, with Microsoft Business Network and Microsoft Office,etc etc. Any web deployed screens for the accounting systems (ie remote timecards, expense reports etc) Will be pushed from the Portal to the underlying accounting system. Basically one step towards uncle Bill's vision that everything Microsoft should share information and users should be able to get to that information in basically one place.

5. Note sharing and organizing software. Don't know much about it, but I think it was developed for tablet PC's so that when you make hand written notes it will convert them to text, and you can organize the notes. Never seen it though.

Regards,
Dork

andicap
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks, looks like it was all for naught. My friend gave me his beta version of MS Office (I was just curious about the other tools he gave me) and it asked for a key code which he didn't have. He just got the disks from the company.

I really just need MS Word.

Thanks, Yak, -- Christ must have been misquoted. Not the "meek" who will inherit the Earth, but the "geeks."

:D