PDA

View Full Version : Back from Baltimore

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Back to life - back to reality

As usual, the trip to Baltimore with my father and brother was time well spent....and we managed to make some money this year, as opposed to the total pari-mutuel disaster of 2013.

Thursday offered the usual fare of low level pre-Preakness weekend racing.
All the good horses would be running Fri and Sat.
Some perplexing results to say the least...someone already covered the Racyn With Gracyn issue, so I won't go into it further. But let's just say that the tone was set for some VERY odd jockey maneuvers. Some horses won on Thurs that I couldn't explain in a thousand years. Crushed the last race to get right for the day.

Friday turned out better than we expected after the mini hurricane late Thurs night. It's my favorite day. You can get around the track easily, the racing is great, and you see all kinds of racing big shots up close.
I saw Baffert, Servis, Hovdey, TLG, Battaglia, Mirahmadi, the Mig, Mott and Bobby Flay :ThmbUp:
Met up with Wiffleball Whizz & Proximity, hung out - drank a brew or two - shot the bull - wondered where CJ was ;) - and hit a few races.
Great to meet you guys, but no way I can hang with the Whizz...dude hits the ground running and does not stop. I liken him to Commentator...he sets a blistering pace and dares you to keep up :D
How about that gal falling asleep on a sure winner in the Race For The Cure contest?? Good Lord!
Yeah yeah yeah..."you get what you get when you play a race with retired jocks"...I hear ya, but when you're on vacation and your newbie niece is there all decked out in her hat and dress, you gotta play the Ladies race. We still got the ex but we had a win bet on that sleeping jock.
Basically traded money all day until the Miss Preakness, where I got lucky and caught a very nice win and ex (9-2 over 24-1 or something like that).
Then my brother snags the Special exacta and we were flush.
I think Moreno ran a hell of a race in the Special. That pace was very fast and he hung on well for 4th after battling Valid and Golden Lad down the backside.

Saturday started off well as we hit the first two races, but then we fell into a serious slump.
After I hit the first by keying a horse named Phelps, I got this silly local vibe and played two "area named" losers before snapping out of it...Mystical Terp and some horse named Camden. I will get back to the Mystical Terp race in a minute.
Castellano won the 7th and 8th on runners I detested, and we were in a swoon. The Gallorette Stks chalked out and we didn't have it, then I bet pretty big on the speed in the Sir Barton Stks....the #4 made the lead, led the merry chase to about the 5/16 pole, and then stopped badly to finish last :bang:
Utley was a surprise to me in the Gr2 Dixie - didn't have him - I am a Bravo/Clement combo fan and we went down with Chamois, who ran 3rd.
The Preakness bet was basically a tri: 3 w 7-10 w 1-2-7-8-10...repeat repeat and hammer a few lower priced combos some more. We also reversed the top two spots (7-10 w 3 etc...) and that was that....small profit for the weekend.
Good times.

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Back to the Mystical Terp race.

He ran in the 4th which was scheduled for turf, but was moved to the main track going 5f.
Needless to say, I loved this guy and bet him pretty heavily.
I don't think they were trying with this horse at all.
This a horse with some speed, an E/P type, who was an MTO entrant in this race...they seemingly got what they wanted...off turf.
Well, he walks out of the gate & drops to last and basically stays there without urging from Carrasco (the leading jock at Pim this meet).
He turns for home two lengths behind the 2nd last horse, then suddenly Carrasco gets into him at the 1/8 pole (when it's far too late) and he starts rrrrrrrrolling...makes up about 8.5 lengths in the last furlong to lose by about 2.5 lengths, and storms past the field on the gallop out.

Two things:
1) I'm no expert on horseflesh - I'm not an expert race watcher, BUT
2) this totally and completely looked like a "workout within a race" if I've ever seen one...seems like Carrasco worked this horse a few panels from about the 1/8 pole around the clubhouse turn

Anyone else see this and think it's odd?
I value many opinions here and would like some input from y'all if you get a chance to watch the replay.

proximity
05-19-2014, 07:49 PM
the whizz is a bear. idk if he had spent all morning looking at different tracks but we both walked into pimlico empty handed. i was able to get the whole pimlico card handicapped about half way through or so and even put in a pick 3 but he was betting several tracks right out of the gate and still able to put in a pick 5 for pimlico (which he would hit).

you mentioned you were out drinking a little late friday in baltimore? how did you feel on saturday? had to be a long, crazy day there.

tanner12oz
05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Lines for food were the longest I've seen them in the 10 years of going to the preakness...

wiffleball whizz
05-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Awesome trip report...... Friday was off the charts!!!!

Hit the pick 5 Saturday too that paid huge.... And had it twice cuz of late scratch and chalk for once in my life wins in that spot....

362 days to go till we see you at black eye susan day.....!!!

wiffleball whizz
05-19-2014, 09:18 PM
the whizz is a bear. idk if he had spent all morning looking at different tracks but we both walked into pimlico empty handed. i was able to get the whole pimlico card handicapped about half way through or so and even put in a pick 3 but he was betting several tracks right out of the gate and still able to put in a pick 5 for pimlico (which he would hit).

you mentioned you were out drinking a little late friday in baltimore? how did you feel on saturday? had to be a long, crazy day there.

It's called being a degenerate horse player.....I never seen a race I didn't like

Proximity was lights out later in the card....

He touted the :10: Midcard and when he win I run inside yelling X-Man he was laughing

There is NOTHING better then a fun day at the track with people that love horse racing

1/9 proximity doesn't have that much fun playing cards

And phantom I know your pain of preakness week being over..... It's too good of times

proximity
05-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Lines for food were the longest I've seen them in the 10 years of going to the preakness...

the food selection on friday was a little disappointing. not quite the my cousin vinny "breakfast, lunch, dinner" menu.... but close enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTLxgk14JE

was really looking forward to digging into some maryland crab w/ ww and cotb at fred and maggies, but..... :mad:

wiffleball whizz
05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
the food selection on friday was a little disappointing. not quite the my cousin vinny "breakfast, lunch, dinner" menu.... but close enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTLxgk14JE

was really looking forward to digging into some maryland crab w/ ww and cotb at fred and maggies, but..... :mad:

Bad directions were given....

Had COTB given good directions proximity may have smashed the video machines for $1000.......bad directions :ThmbDown: :lol: :lol:

proximity
05-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Bad directions were given....

Had COTB given good directions proximity may have smashed the video machines for $1000.......bad directions :ThmbDown: :lol: :lol:

no, he did great. it was all my fault. i turned too soon when i first got off 83 and it all went wrong from there.

and, i may have "smashed" those video poker machines.... but not for any $$. :D

PhantomOnTour
05-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Almost forgot to share the funniest moment of the whole weekend, courtesy of my brother Chris.

Saturday about mid-card or so me and my bro are having a smoke and apparently standing in a "do not stand" area or something like that.
Very nice security guy asks us to please move as we are standing on the stairs or wherever.
We kinda nod and basically brush the guy off - he moves on and returns awhile later & tells us with some degree of firm politeness that we must move.
So my brilliant brother comes back with this line:

"Take it easy man - don't give us such a hard time. What do you think this is, the Kentucky Derby or something?"

:lol: :lol: never laughed so hard in my life...luckily the security guy was cool and didn't boot our Cajun asses outta there.

tanner12oz
05-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Almost forgot to share the funniest moment of the whole weekend, courtesy of my brother Chris.

Saturday about mid-card or so me and my bro are having a smoke and apparently standing in a "do not stand" area or something like that.
Very nice security guy asks us to please move as we are standing on the stairs or wherever.
We kinda nod and basically brush the guy off - he moves on and returns awhile later & tells us with some degree of firm politeness that we must move.
So my brilliant brother comes back with this line:

"Take it easy man - don't give us such a hard time. What do you think this is, the Kentucky Derby or something?"

:lol: :lol: never laughed so hard in my life...luckily the security guy was cool and didn't boot our Cajun asses outta there.

its the truth though lol...some parts of pimlico reminded me of a haunted house or something