PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would You Live?

Shelby
05-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Imagine you could buy a house….with everything you wanted. Where would you live? What city? Close to a racing venue? In the country?

I'm almost 40 and have never gotten to live where I want to live.

My choice is Hot Springs, AR.

fast4522
05-18-2014, 08:33 PM
If I could live within walking distance of Del Mar in San Diego perhaps I would kiss the ground every day.

thaskalos
05-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Las Vegas.

In three years, when my son goes away to college, I am selling everything and moving to the gambling capital of the world. It's the only place where an old, forgotten gambler wouldn't feel alone.

Poker in the morning...horses in the afternoon...and sports betting in the evening. That's what I call a "balanced life".

barn32
05-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Las Vegas.

In three years, when my son goes away to college, I am selling everything and moving to the gambling capital of the world. It's the only place where an old, forgotten gambler wouldn't feel alone.

Poker in the morning...horses in the afternoon...and sports betting in the evening. That's what I call a "balanced life". I can't wait to get the hell out of Vegas and go back to the Pacific Northwest where they have these things called...trees.

kingfin66
05-18-2014, 08:48 PM
I already love where I live in the Pacific Northwest, but if I could venture out anywhere in the world, it would be Spain. I don't know where exactly, but probably near the coast. At one time, I thought it would be great to live in Mexico (Cabo), but it has gotten much more expensive and much less safe. Although I am just 48 right now, I still think about my retirement. One big factor that will keep me in the U.S. is that Medicare is not portable. That would be a real game changer.

I have also considered Las Vegas. It would be a big adjustment getting used to the heat, but knowing that Thaskalos will be there is a huge drawing card (no pun intended) for me :)

Robert Fischer
05-18-2014, 08:49 PM
work with money

reasonable taxes/fees/regulations

warm weather, and mild to warm winters

So Cal or Vegas don't sound bad at first thought. Sure there are lots of others.

I can deal with NY in the late spring-early fall.

johnhannibalsmith
05-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Right where I sit because damn am I fortunate.

TheEdge07
05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Norman Cay

Mystic
05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
If I could live within walking distance of Del Mar in San Diego perhaps I would kiss the ground every day.

I second this :)

Tom
05-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Gilligan's Island.
Fresh fruit, nice beach, cutting edge technology........with Mary Ann, of course. ;)

reckless
05-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I am lucky to currently live in a real nice area so I am not planning on moving away anytime soon.

But, if I could live my life over again, I'd like to live over a deli!

JustRalph
05-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Las Vegas.

Poker in the morning...horses in the afternoon...and sports betting in the evening. That's what I call a "balanced life".

Start looking at Real Estate now. You might find a great deal on a Condo etc. lots of talk about Vegas starting to creep back

TJDave
05-19-2014, 01:47 AM
Buenos Aires.

Dahoss2002
05-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Imagine you could buy a house….with everything you wanted. Where would you live? What city? Close to a racing venue? In the country?

I'm almost 40 and have never gotten to live where I want to live.

My choice is Hot Springs, AR.

Good choice!! I would probably want to live about 150 miles southwesterly of there. Aww heck, I always have. Hot Springs is very nice.

iceknight
05-19-2014, 08:06 AM
in Bhutan

badcompany
05-19-2014, 08:33 AM
I can't wait to get the hell out of Vegas and go back to the Pacific Northwest where they have these things called...trees.

Yeah, I've found three days in Vegas and I'm ready to leave.

Upstate NY, near Saratoga works for me. When I'm up there, I never want to leave.

RaceBookJoe
05-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I absolutely love living in Vegas, always something to do,,if you want. Summer heat can be a bit tough but sure beats digging the car out of the snow like I had to when I lived in NY. Vegas isn't for everyone though. Upstate NY was where I grew up though, just not a snow fan. If I was, Minneapolis was my favorite snow city, but its been 20yrs so not sure how the city is now. Walking distance to Del Mar also sounds very nice, loved my vacation to San Diego ( pacific beach area ), but not sure I would ever get anything done there, the vibe was just soooo relaxing.

cj's dad
05-19-2014, 10:00 AM
London

Tall One
05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Ocala

badcompany
05-19-2014, 10:18 AM
I absolutely love living in Vegas, always something to do,,if you want. Summer heat can be a bit tough but sure beats digging the car out of the snow like I had to when I lived in NY. Vegas isn't for everyone though. Upstate NY was where I grew up though, just not a snow fan. If I was, Minneapolis was my favorite snow city, but its been 20yrs so not sure how the city is now. Walking distance to Del Mar also sounds very nice, loved my vacation to San Diego ( pacific beach area ), but not sure I would ever get anything done there, the vibe was just soooo relaxing.

I could see Vegas 20 years ago, but, today, it's a dated concept as you can gamble, anywhere.

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2014, 10:42 AM
the island of Vieques...absolute paradise

Johnny V
05-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Las Vegas probably. The availability of legal sports betting (baseball) plus the convenience of many gambling venues for race simulcasting and other games etc. would make it my choice I guess.

Johnny V
05-19-2014, 10:56 AM
the island of Vieques...absolute paradise
Gee, I remember back in the day, we used to shell that place relentlessly. Everything from 3" to 16" guns if memory serves blasting the hell out of it for gunfire support practice.

RaceBookJoe
05-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I could see Vegas 20 years ago, but, today, it's a dated concept as you can gamble, anywhere.

There's a bit more than just gambling here to do, again, if you want to do it and/or have the money. Climate it great 9 months/yr, entertainment almost around the clock and most of it is free, tons of hiking/running trails , skiing 40mins away etc. For a female, never more than 10-15 minutes away from a great spa treatment while the husband can play ponies/craps etc. Not for everyone, but nowhere else I would rather live in the US taking all things into consideration. Only thing I like about SD better is the ocean. The only worry I have here is our future water supply..so when water is gone, I will leave :) ps: and I love living on PDT, sunday morning football starts at 10am, 9am for college on Saturdays, Monday night football is over around 9pm...my bedtime haha. Have to get up early for the stock market, but working day is basically over by 7:30am and markets done by 1pm..so still plenty of time for other things.

BlueShoe
05-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Las Vegas.

Am assuming that this post is in jest, but if not, be careful what you wish for. During my lifetime I have known three men that did just that, move to Las Vegas to make it as a pro gambler, and I have heard of others that tried it. Two went to bet horses and sports, the third to play blackjack as a card counter. All three came back, the longest lasted not quite two years.

The major problem was the sense of isolation that came due to gambling being the sole focus and pastime of their lives. Las Vegas, or any other gambling center, can be a very lonely place if this is all one does. If there is no wife, steady girlfriend, close friends, outside hobbies, interests, or pastimes not related to gambling, then things will get tough. This poster long ago considered, and then rejected, the idea of moving to Las Vegas.

cmp92
05-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Saratoga Springs/Lake George area.

Ocala Mike
05-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Ocala

What Tall One said; here's a view from my front yard into the neighboring horse farm:

_______
05-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Incline Village, Nevada.

Shelby
05-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Gilligan's Island.
Fresh fruit, nice beach, cutting edge technology........with Mary Ann, of course. ;)

Huh. I always pictured you as a Ginger type guy. ;)

Let's Roll
05-19-2014, 12:16 PM
I'd like to live on the east end of Long Island, in the Hamptons.
Great climate for a gardener like myself and idealy located near the Atlantic so I'd have access to the offshore fishing grounds year round.
Second choice would be Santa Cruz, California. Lived there for a few months, up in the mountains, back in the early 80's. I loved the weather and the landscape is spectacular.

Tom
05-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Huh. I always pictured you as a Ginger type guy. ;)

A man's gotta know his limits.
---Dirty Harry

badcompany
05-19-2014, 12:54 PM
There's a bit more than just gambling here to do, again, if you want to do it and/or have the money. Climate it great 9 months/yr, entertainment almost around the clock and most of it is free, tons of hiking/running trails , skiing 40mins away etc. For a female, never more than 10-15 minutes away from a great spa treatment while the husband can play ponies/craps etc. Not for everyone, but nowhere else I would rather live in the US taking all things into consideration. Only thing I like about SD better is the ocean. The only worry I have here is our future water supply..so when water is gone, I will leave :) ps: and I love living on PDT, sunday morning football starts at 10am, 9am for college on Saturdays, Monday night football is over around 9pm...my bedtime haha. Have to get up early for the stock market, but working day is basically over by 7:30am and markets done by 1pm..so still plenty of time for other things.

Vegas is always trying to reinvent itself as something other than what it is, a gambling town. It's not an easy sell.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/9872568A-03BD-4122-B2A8-D189B72DA73E-3508-0000057AC0504911_zps5243a69a.jpg

thaskalos
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Am assuming that this post is in jest, but if not, be careful what you wish for. During my lifetime I have known three men that did just that, move to Las Vegas to make it as a pro gambler, and I have heard of others that tried it. Two went to bet horses and sports, the third to play blackjack as a card counter. All three came back, the longest lasted not quite two years.

The major problem was the sense of isolation that came due to gambling being the sole focus and pastime of their lives. Las Vegas, or any other gambling center, can be a very lonely place if this is all one does. If there is no wife, steady girlfriend, close friends, outside hobbies, interests, or pastimes not related to gambling, then things will get tough. This poster long ago considered, and then rejected, the idea of moving to Las Vegas.

I am dead serious. I am 52 years old...my wife has passed away 10 years now, and my son is gradually becoming his own man. In three short years, he too will be gone, to a distant bastion of higher learning. I close my eyes and picture Thaskalos alone surrounded by four walls...and, given a choice, I would like that place to be located in Las Vegas.

Some gamblers consider gambling to be a hobby or a distraction...but there are some of us to whom it has been a lifestyle -- a religion even. We practice it with the same reverence that the devout approach religion, and, believe it or not, we get almost as much satisfaction from it.

When I was a young man...I wanted my life to be so many different things. But life deals you a hand...and you play it in the best way that you can. And I intend to play it at the Bellagio. :)

GaryG
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
A lot of businesses have relocated from CA to NV because of the absence of an inventory tax. Last time I was there they had smog.

lamboguy
05-19-2014, 01:28 PM
i would have to go with the Maine Seacoast. but it does get cold there.

JustRalph
05-19-2014, 01:49 PM
A lot of businesses have relocated from CA to NV because of the absence of an inventory tax. Last time I was there they had smog.

That's a big deal, inventory tax.

In Ohio, some counties and municipalities make you pay inventory tax. I believe the State eliminated that tax. Before they did that you might have to pay inventory tax to 3 different entities.

There were some serious schemes to avoid it. Including hidden stock rooms and secret doors.......

Actor
05-19-2014, 03:03 PM

The major problem was the sense of isolation that came due to gambling being the sole focus and pastime of their lives. Las Vegas, or any other gambling center, can be a very lonely place if this is all one does. If there is no wife, steady girlfriend, close friends, outside hobbies, interests, or pastimes not related to gambling, then things will get tough. This poster long ago considered, and then rejected, the idea of moving to Las Vegas.Studies have shown that retirees who move to another state or country for the change in lifestyle or the lower cost of living tend to regret the move. Also, as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again." The town may still be there and some of the people are still there, but the town has changed and the people are older. I've thought it over. In spite of all the shortcomings of where I am now, on balance, I'll be happiest just staying put. :cool:

But, DAM, they closed Beulah Park! :bang:

Grits
05-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Rhinebeck, New York -- summer
(Hudson River Valley between NYC and Saratoga)

Bald Head Island, North Carolina -- spring-fall-winter
Accessible by ferry only, no cars allowed.
(Construction/service vehicles exception.)

Both places, lush and green; one foothills, one coastal. Lots to do outdoors.

badcompany
05-19-2014, 03:51 PM
I am dead serious. I am 52 years old...my wife has passed away 10 years now, and my son is gradually becoming his own man. In three short years, he too will be gone, to a distant bastion of higher learning. I close my eyes and picture Thaskalos alone surrounded by four walls...and, given a choice, I would like that place to be located in Las Vegas.

Some gamblers consider gambling to be a hobby or a distraction...but there are some of us to whom it has been a lifestyle -- a religion even. We practice it with the same reverence that the devout approach religion, and, believe it or not, we get almost as much satisfaction from it.

When I was a young man...I wanted my life to be so many different things. But life deals you a hand...and you play it in the best way that you can. And I intend to play it at the Bellagio. :)

You should consider Florida. Lots of older women with money, who have driven their husbands into the ground and are looking for companionship.

I'm just bearish on Vegas. That place is facing a two front assault from the internet as well as cash strapped states, like NY, that see legalized gambling as a savior.

Valuist
05-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Saratoga Springs for July and August. Somewhere in the Caribbean the rest of the year. Maybe St. Barts or St. Johns or Bermuda.

tucker6
05-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Studies have shown that retirees who move to another state or country for the change in lifestyle or the lower cost of living tend to regret the move.
I'd like to see one of those studies. I live in Hilton Head, which is 90% transplants, and I can count on less than one full hand the number of people who regret moving here from the north. The two that were unhappy were women with elderly parents still up north. I bet the economic demographics of those studies don't match what I am seeing here.

BettinBilly
05-19-2014, 04:06 PM
In the US? ;

I've lived all over the place in America. Washington State, Oregon, California, Florida, New York, Ohio, Michigan, and Hawaii. I spend a lot of time in Hawaii on business and still consider it a home away from home.

But no, I'd not live in Hawaii. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too much of a culture shock (I'm not Asian), and too rock-bound. I get Island Fever and need to get off that rock after a while. Nice to visit, but glad I don't live there. And, you have to get on a damn plane and fly 5 hours to get anywhere. No, it's not for me long term.

Of all the places I've been in the US, I'd have to pick the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. Warne or Murphy area of NC. In my opinion, that is perfection. Great weather. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Good cost of living, not too crowded. Nice people. Atlanta only 90 minutes away if I really want some big city culture. No local Tracks, but hey, I've got ADW.

Worldwide? ;

City living - London, England. Specifically South Kensington, London, England. Beautiful part of that great city.

Beach Living - South of France. Along the Riviera. I speak French and I love the women and the lifestyle. I don't care if they are rude. I can be rude too. ;)

Country Living - Anywhere along the Pyrenees in Spain. Any of those little villages are sublime. I don't speak Spanish, but I could learn.

1st time lasix
05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
I think it is best to have two lifestyles. One in a warm winter climate in the Southern US...the other in the Northern US. Perhaps-{New England and Florida} {Southern California and Oregon} (Texas and Michigan} {Upstate NY-Costal Islands of Georgia} etc etc... I don't mind travel or visiting other parts of the world...but I like the homestead security of the US with laws that protect. Depends on your lifestyle too...do like to snow ski...play golf...go boating...be around family memebers....gamble...hike/hunt...go out to nice dinner restaurants...have cultural events to attend????

kingfin66
05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

I say go for it!

Ocala Mike
05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Beach Living - South of France. Along the Riviera. I speak French and I love the women and the lifestyle. I don't care if they are nude. I can be nude too. ;)

FTFY

BettinBilly
05-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Thas;

First, sorry to hear about your wife.

You and I are close to the same age. I think I'm still young, although now after a hard workout or a long run, I am more sore than I was 20 years ago. I never had kids, and traveled for a living. I've spent the better part of my life in Hotels around the world. If I had it to do over again, I would. But, it's no where near "over".

If your dream is to live in Vegas, then make it so. I've spent a lot of time there on business with a little pleasure mixed in. I'm not big on the Casinos. They are fun at first, but the shine wore off for me. They were more of a hotel to me with a bit of gambling attached, as I was usually there for meetings and training. But, I can see how if one is a gambler at heart, the dream of living there is a true draw. Find a Casino with a good sports book area for the Ponies, and park your butt there.

I stayed down the Strip about 5 miles one time at South Point Hotel and Casino. Unique place. Full Bowling Alley, Full Movie Theater, decently loose slots, and a decent book area for Horseplayers. Plus, I like the fact it's pretty far down the strip away from all the other crap. And, you can't beat their 25 cent Hot Dogs. Grab a few dogs, a beer or Coke, and park yourself at the sports book area and have a ball.

-Billy

BettinBilly
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
FTFY

:) :ThmbUp:

Thanks for the mighty fine correction, sir.

Grits
05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
In the US?

Of all the places I've been in the US, I'd have to pick the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. Warne or Murphy area of NC. In my opinion, that is perfection. Great weather. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Good cost of living, not too crowded. Nice people. Atlanta only 90 minutes away if I really want some big city culture. No local Tracks, but hey, I've got ADW.

Very nice choices, Billy. Though living expenses are greater--Asheville, Blowing Rock, Highlands--are each incredibly beautiful places to live.

LottaKash
05-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm just bearish on Vegas. That place is facing a two front assault from the internet as well as cash strapped states, like NY, that see legalized gambling as a savior.

Not to mention that, once you are out of town, it is like living on MARS !...:eek:

Grits
05-19-2014, 05:33 PM
You should consider Florida. Lots of older women with money, who have driven their husbands into the ground and are looking for companionship.

Badcompany, your comment is sad. I hope these women you speak of don't look to you for companionship. There are many others, millions of us, who have worked for what we have, and we haven't driven a soul into the ground doing so. I doubt Thask has any trouble whatsoever finding companionship. Not at all. You? I'll pray for your wife's good health. :lol:

badcompany
05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Badcompany, your comment is sad. I hope these women you speak of don't look to you for companionship. There are many others, millions of us, who have worked for what we have, and we haven't driven a soul into the ground doing so. I doubt Thask has any trouble whatsoever finding companionship. Not at all. You? I'll pray for your wife's good health. :lol:

When I need a self-righteous busybody to be my life coach, I'll drop you a line.

Grits
05-19-2014, 06:09 PM
When I need a self-righteous busybody to be my life coach, I'll drop you a line.

No. Please, don't. You're beyond help. And I don't accept oafs.

I don't care if I've irritated you or not. Grow up. I would be a disgrace to my gender if I didn't speak up to stupidity such as you've shown in your comment.
EOC.

badcompany
05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
No. Please, don't. You're beyond help. And I don't accept oafs.

I don't care if I've irritated you or not. Grow up. I would be a disgrace to my gender if I didn't speak up to stupidity such as you've shown in your comment.
EOC.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/2E2E5AD8-0483-4A13-8821-C49119E4F901-3655-000005B25DABF07E_zpsdf0b2526.jpg

NJ Stinks
05-19-2014, 06:34 PM
First off, I'm not moving anywhere that doesn't have a racecourse or allow off-track betting. I'll visit but never stay. Having said that:

1. London - my wife would be thrilled to go back home to her family; you can bet on anything in the UK including U.S. sports; the British love horseracing!; golf courses galore; Europe is a short flight away; the climate - no more damn heat and humidity for months at a time.

2. Paris - the food must be #1 but once again horseracing is part of the country's fiber. Toss in the weather and overall quality of life and it's tough to beat. The South of France/Italian Riviera is a just 'down the road' bonus.

As for the USA, I think Lake Tahoe in the summer and Naples, Florida in the winter would fill the bill nicely!

(Shelby, you did say money was no object, didn't you? :) )

BlueShoe
05-19-2014, 06:38 PM
But no, I'd not live in Hawaii. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too much of a culture shock (I'm not Asian), and too rock-bound. I get Island Fever and need to get off that rock after a while. Nice to visit, but glad I don't live there. And, you have to get on a damn plane and fly 5 hours to get anywhere. No, it's not for me long term.
Hawaii would be like being exiled to the very far end of the earth for us. :eek: It is, along with Utah, the only state in the union in which all forms of wagering are strictly illegal. :( No racetracks, no ADWs, no casinos, not even the lottery. At least in Utah one can drive to Las Vegas, Mesquite, or Wendover to get an occasional gambling fix, not so in Hawaii. You fly, at least 2500 miles, to place a bet. Charters and junkets to Las Vegas are quite popular due to this situation. The California Club, in Downtown Las Vegas, has catered to Hawaiian gamblers for decades, offering deals and packages, and even food choices in the restaurants that Hawaiians like, for example, spam, which for some reason is popular out there. :)

BettinBilly
05-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Blue:

Spam is popular in Hawaii because of WWII. All the GI's ate Spam and it stuck in the culture. The Locals love it. They even do Spam Sushi (Spam wrapped in Seaweed). I probably spend 4 weeks a year out there. I used to spend up to 8. Not someplace I'd live permanently. And you are correct. No betting of any kind in Hawaii. Not even a state Lottery. Well familiar with the California Club in Old Las Vegas. Most of my Friends in Hawaii do go there. Flights to LAS from HNL are pretty inexpensive. I sometimes fly through Vegas to Honolulu, just to get a really cheap fare.

NJ Stinks:

I lived in Paris for a while when I was in my 20's. Nice city. Good food. Horrible traffic. I got tired of the crowded atmosphere after a while, so I opt for the Riviera - or at least south enough to get there by motorcycle easily.
The Riviera town of "Nice" France is very nice and I enjoy the people there.
It's nice in Nice. And the Cannes Film Festival is not too hard to take. Lots of eye candy there for either sexes.

London, IMO, is a better city. Especially South Kensington. Awesome food as well, and they speak English. Best fruit I ever eat is in London. Not sure why. It's very different than the fruit we get here. In a more flavorful way. Tastes more wholesome somehow.
Love everything about London.

RaceBookJoe
05-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Let me know when you get here. Not the perfect city, but has tons of good things going for it. Best advice, just as when moving anywhere, spend some time looking around to find the part of town you like. Lots of great local casinos also. Within 1.5 miles from my home ( walking distance ), in the Green Valley/Henderson area is a major local casino/ bowling/theatres/racebook, mall, countless restaurants, supermarkets etc etc. About a 15min drive to the strip and 15-20min drive to Fremont. Outside of an occasional show on the strip or trip to Fremont, everything we need is in that 1/5 mile radius except for a weekly drive to Whole Foods, which is about 5miles...convenient city is what I am getting at.

Other areas in the US ( among the many) that are nice, Billy mentioned the Smokeys..just beautiful. Saratoga/Lake George area is picturesque plus that little 6 week fun fest in the summer haha. Salt Lake City is beautiful too, im just not a snow person. I can walk down to the corner, look at the snow on the mountains if I want.

NJ Stinks
05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Blue:

NJ Stinks:

I lived in Paris for a while when I was in my 20's. Nice city. Good food. Horrible traffic. I got tired of the crowded atmosphere after a while, so I opt for the Riviera - or at least south enough to get there by motorcycle easily.
The Riviera town of "Nice" France is very nice and I enjoy the people there.
It's nice in Nice. And the Cannes Film Festival is not too hard to take. Lots of eye candy there for either sexes.

London, IMO, is a better city. Especially South Kensington. Awesome food as well, and they speak English. Best fruit I ever eat is in London. Not sure why. It's very different than the fruit we get here. In a more flavorful way. Tastes more wholesome somehow.
Love everything about London.

You make a great point about the traffic in Paris. And then there is that the French don't generally take a shine to Americans or Englishmen.

Your point about the fruit in London tasting better reminds me of something. I believe the food in the South tastes much fresher on the whole than food in the mid-Atlantic states. That includes meat, veggies, and potatoes. Not sure why but I believe it's true.

BlueShoe
05-19-2014, 08:21 PM
The Riviera town of "Nice" France is very nice and I enjoy the people there. It's nice in Nice. And the Cannes Film Festival is not too hard to take. Lots of eye candy there for either sexes.
Very unlikely that I will ever make it, but since my teens have wanted to visit the famed legendary casino at Monte Carlo. Understand that it is no longer what it once was in it's glory days of a century ago, but still? The place is regarded by some gamblers in the same way that Mecca is regarded by Muslims; you should make at least one pilgrimage there in your lifetime.

The first real gambling I ever did was not at the track, but at a roulette wheel on the Las Vegas Strip as a very underage player, years before setting foot in a racetrack. That being so, it would be great fun to take a shot at Monte Carlo's roulette wheels, played at that very civilized European slow place, with those good rules; single zero with the en prison rule, which makes the house advantage a very fair 1.35% on even money wagers.

Shelby
05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
First off, I'm not moving anywhere that doesn't have a racecourse or allow off-track betting. I'll visit but never stay. Having said that:

1. London - my wife would be thrilled to go back home to her family; you can bet on anything in the UK including U.S. sports; the British love horseracing!; golf courses galore; Europe is a short flight away; the climate - no more damn heat and humidity for months at a time.

2. Paris - the food must be #1 but once again horseracing is part of the country's fiber. Toss in the weather and overall quality of life and it's tough to beat. The South of France/Italian Riviera is a just 'down the road' bonus.

As for the USA, I think Lake Tahoe in the summer and Naples, Florida in the winter would fill the bill nicely!

(Shelby, you did say money was no object, didn't you? :) )

Exactly! We are all pretending we are stinking rich :)

I'm LOVING all of everyones thoughts and wishes and dreams. Makes me feel like I'm not alone living somewhere that is not my optimal place.

Keep 'em coming :)

Grits
05-19-2014, 08:55 PM
I think where we want to live has more to do with wanting peace than anything else. Still, sometimes we don't always have absolute choices in that we can't think only about what we may desire.

I recall the link Chickie (Chickenhead) wrote about "where we live" that someone posted a few days ago. Wise young man.

Big Russ
05-19-2014, 09:33 PM
My ideal place would be about 2 miles down Racetrack Road from Tampa Bay Downs.....and I'm not leaving. :)

andtheyreoff
05-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Oceanport, NJ for most of the year, Saratoga during the racing season.

wisconsin
05-19-2014, 09:45 PM
One of those really big houses on Lake Geneva (WI). Plenty of racetrack trips year round. 40 and counting and I must catch Racetrack Collector...

plainolebill
05-20-2014, 01:56 AM
I love Oregon except in the winter, all 9 months of it. :D

Kauai for me.

Johnny V
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM

I too lost my wife when in my early forties and had two children to raise. Now they are grown and on their own and I had the opportunity to sell out lock stock and barrel and move to LV about 7 years ago and make a new start and was seriously considering it. I did not make the move and looking back think I probably should have done it. We probably have the same gambling lifestyle as some others on here seem to and LV would probably be a good fit. I have visited many many times over the years and while it has changed in some ways I never tire of it. If that is what you want go for it. Give it a shot. I wish you the best.

Tall One
05-20-2014, 10:46 AM
What Tall One said; here's a view from my front yard into the neighboring horse farm:

And that picture validates my reasons. Gorgeous, Mike.

Ocala reminds me a lot of Lexington; minus the palm trees and MUCH warmer winters of course. Besides, having lived here all my life, I'd be lost without a horse farm close by. :)

Rookies
05-20-2014, 01:10 PM
A man's gotta know his limits.
---Dirty Harry

:lol:

Like a blind squirrel, you occasionally nail the funny nut, Tom! :ThmbUp:

Rookies
05-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Gorgeous...

But, I'm no longer into cutting grass! ;)

Dark Horse
05-20-2014, 01:18 PM
For some time I lived very close to Del Mar, but nowadays the 5 freeway is bumper-to-bumper almost all the time, so not sure about returning there.

So many options. I have a European passport, so all of Europe is open. My wife is from down under, so that adds New Zealand and Australia. And then there's Mexico. Wouldn't surprise me if I couldn't make up my mind and stayed right were I am.

Tall One
05-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Gorgeous...

Cutting grass>>>shoveling snow..

Sh*t, after this past winter here, I've seen enough of that for a lifetime..:ThmbDown:

BettinBilly
05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
I didn't know Lex got that much snow this winter, Tall. Thought it sort of petered out around Cincinnati.

elysiantraveller
05-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Cutting grass>>>shoveling snow..

Sh*t, after this past winter here, I've seen enough of that for a lifetime..:ThmbDown:

I know its all relative but hearing someone from Kentucky complain about snow this winter is like me in Michigan complaining about hurricanes... ;)

Tall One
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I didn't know Lex got that much snow this winter, Tall. Thought it sort of petered out around Cincinnati.

Oh yeah..we got snow, and ice that just stayed around because the temp was below 0 for over a week. Fayette county missed a whole week of school, and that never happens here.

Elysian,

Don't mind the cold because it does get cold here..but not that cold..
I do business with a vendor up in Minnesota that was envious because we were only at -15 wind chill. South of -40 up that way they said.. :faint:

BettinBilly
05-20-2014, 09:25 PM
I used to work the I-75 Corridor from Detroit to Knoxville, TN.
Amazing the temperature difference, especially when you get over the mountains and into Tennessee.

From Detroit to Lexington was dramatic with weather, but it sometimes is also dramatic from Lexington to Knoxville. It depends on how the weather reflects off those mountains.

I love Michigan in the Summer, but I'm definitely not a fan in January.

sandpit
05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
I'll take the Yosemite Valley and Sequoia National Park for about 7 months and Ocho Rios Jamaica for the long winters.

Ocala Mike
05-21-2014, 05:19 PM

I've only got 3 acres, and most of it is pasture that the horses keep down. I'm good with the area around the house and the front and back yard as long as my riding mower holds up.

What I've got to work on, though, especially lately, is improving my ROI on the ponies so I can get the damn place paid off before I friggen' croak!

GaryG
05-21-2014, 08:25 PM
There are some beautiful towns high in the NC Smokies.....Cashiers, Dillsboro and Highlands. They are overrun with tourists but at least they bring money. Stayed at a rental cabin once high up on Mount Leconte. It was about a 5 mile hike from the end of the road. There were very limited amenities, but it was great. Needless to say that is out of the question now...:D

Rookies
05-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I've been thinking about this thread carefully. I link it to some of my thoughts on winning the Lotto.

On the whole, I neither like really hot, nor really cold temps. I dislike cold, rainy days and this past winter wore me (and millions of others down). Even if I had the millions, I'm not horribly adventurous and so wouldn't pick the Bora Boras of the world. My own city is a great one, but has been a bit overwhelming for awhile. Gotten too big, stressful and hectic, so it'll will be time to cash out and leave in the next couple of years.

Accordingly...

I REALLY enjoyed my two plus weeks in Ft. Myers in February and plan to go back for a month next year. It is simply the sweet spot of the year and Florida, warm, without the ugly humidity and super hot temps, on the Ocean, with ball parks and legal Canadian Horse gambling on the Net for a short period. And, Gulfstream is merely a blast across A.A. one way and up to Tampa another. Food and alcohol are dirt cheap. Love it.

But, I'd be outta there after March and would spend summers alternating between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Bar Harbor, with a month at the Spa in the middle. NOTL is close to the border, close to TO for any access to major sports and culture... plus relaxed and relaxing. As is Bah Hahbour.

Fall, it would be go west... old man... to the warm, temperate South West and California. Stops in Vegas during the months October- January, as well.

My wife would enjoy some... but not all of this... :rolleyes:

judd
05-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Sarasota fla

live on a golf course, where :) I could wake up have breakfast and enjoy the links, and clear blue sky

badcompany
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
I see moving to Florida as a tacit admission that you've given up.

GaryG
05-22-2014, 10:44 AM
I see moving to Florida as a tacit admission that you've given up.Florida AKA God's waiting room.

Redboard
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
My wife and I have had many talks about moving but we can’t seem to find a place better than where we’re at. We are 15 minutes from center city Philadelphia, so we enjoy the diversity of a big city. Plus, we are 55 minutes from the Jersey shore, where we like to go in the summer, especially Ocean City, NJ.
We spent the entire month of this April in The Villages Florida, just outside Ocala, which is nice, but my wife doesn’t want to live there year-round because of the heat and we’d don’t have the money/energy to own two houses(and do the snowbird thing). We are both in our 60’s and the plan(at this point) is to live in our modest 1000sqft, one-story, 3-bedroom twin house, for the rest of our lives and do a month in Florida in the winter, and a few weeks in Saratoga in the summer. Maybe a Euro trip occasionally.

tucker6
05-22-2014, 05:06 PM
My wife and I have had many talks about moving but we can’t seem to find a place better than where we’re at. We are 15 minutes from center city Philadelphia, so we enjoy the diversity of a big city. Plus, we are 55 minutes from the Jersey shore, where we like to go in the summer, especially Ocean City, NJ.
We spent the entire month of this April in The Villages Florida, just outside Ocala, which is nice, but my wife doesn’t want to live there year-round because of the heat and we’d don’t have the money/energy to own two houses(and do the snowbird thing). We are both in our 60’s and the plan(at this point) is to live in our modest 1000sqft, one-story, 3-bedroom twin house, for the rest of our lives and do a month in Florida in the winter, and a few weeks in Saratoga in the summer. Maybe a Euro trip occasionally.
I'm from the Lehigh Valley originally, and your post ain't that bad. You're two hours from everywhere, and get to snowbird in winter. That's not a bad way to go, and most do it that way rather than buy in the south.

Redboard
05-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I'd like to see one of those studies. I live in Hilton Head, which is 90% transplants, and I can count on less than one full hand the number of people who regret moving here from the north. The two that were unhappy were women with elderly parents still up north. I bet the economic demographics of those studies don't match what I am seeing here.

I've always wanted to visit HH. Have friends there who frequently urging to visit. Been to Myrtle Beach several times. Do you miss being near the "big city"? Do you take long trips every year, or just normal vacations. What are the winters like? I'd imagine, February and March can be cold there where playing games in the outdoors would be difficult most days.

classhandicapper
05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Ideally, I would alternate between Saratoga and Del Mar every summer and Sanibel/Captiva in the winter, but since I'm bearish on the US I'm going to say somewhere in Australia close to the major racing.

thaskalos
05-23-2014, 04:20 PM
I see moving to Florida as a tacit admission that you've given up.
Hey...wait a minute.

Weren't you the one who suggested that I move to Frorida so I can go treasure-hunting among all those rich widows? :)

Shelby
05-23-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm enjoying reading all of your dream places :) Also, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one NOT living where they would like to lol.

JustRalph
05-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm enjoying reading all of your dream places :) Also, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one NOT living where they would like to lol.

I've moved six times in the last 12 years. All corporate moves. I think I'm done. Made some moves to make it so. The wife has turned down three offers in the last year to move out of Texas. It's going to take something extra special I.e. Very lucrative to get us to move again.

If you want to do it.........you'll find a way.