PDA

View Full Version : Lefty/SMTW, you gotta read this one..

sq764
04-18-2004, 08:54 PM
What the hell is going on anymore??

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/04/18/coors.suit.ap/index.html

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2004, 09:03 PM
She's got every right to sue and test this avenue of liability in a court of law. However, she doesn't have every right to win her case. That's up to a judge and jury.

sq764
04-18-2004, 09:07 PM
You know this sets it up for a lawsuit after a youth death isattributed to smoking..

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Exactly....which is why perhaps this type of suit needs to be brought....

But hasn't this type of liability been tried before and lost?

Tee
04-18-2004, 11:48 PM
The sad thing is the girlfriend & her mother are being sued as well.

Maybe the plaintiff should be sued & perhaps her deceased son for not having the common sense to,

1) Just plain know better!!
2) Drink to excess.
3) Even think about driving under the influence.

How about spending some time with your kids?

One thing is certain - the lawyers will continue to get richer with this type of nonsense.

Show Me the Wire
04-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Actually, the girlfriend is more on the line than anyone else. She is culpable of endagering innocent people, as well as the intoxicatedperson, by allowing an intoxicated and unlicensed driver to operate her motor vehicle.

With regards to Coors, who knows what a jury will decide. If they feel sorry enough they may award the innocent inoxicated person's estate money for making a product that has proven unhealthy effects and the innocent intoxicated person used it.

what is going on? it is another way to limit U.S. citizens rights to make choices. Life is about making choices and sometimes people make wrong or incorrect choices. it use to be you made a bad choice and you were told you had to live with it, now make a bad choice and you are rewarded.

What pains me more is that I heard the NHL settled a lawsuit for millions of dollars over the death of a 12 year old girl. The girl was struck by a hockey puck while attending a hockey game and died from head injuries.

How does this impact other spectator sports? Especially,sq how does it effect your beloved baseball. Foul balls are hit into the crowd on a regular basis.

People need to start using common sense again and understand there are risks in life and sometimes accidents happen or people make bad choices that lead to injury or death.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Show Me the Wire
04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by teeitup
The sad thing is the girlfriend & her mother are being sued as well.

Maybe the plaintiff should be sued & perhaps her deceased son for not having the common sense to,

1) Just plain know better!!
2) Drink to excess.
3) Even think about driving under the influence.

How about spending some time with your kids?

One thing is certain - the lawyers will continue to get richer with this type of nonsense.

The lawyers get richer because the juries give these people lots of money. If juries stopped awarding money to these people lawyers would not be able to make money from the victims bad choices.

Don't blame the lawyers they are in business to make money and as long as juries make these stupid decisions it will continue.

sq, understand why the jury is affectionally called the 12 ignorant people?

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Tee
04-19-2004, 01:01 AM
SMTW wrote,

"Actually, the girlfriend is more on the line than anyone else. She is culpable of endagering innocent people, as well as the intoxicatedperson, by allowing an intoxicated and unlicensed driver to operate her motor vehicle."

"The lawyers get richer because the juries give these people lots of money. If juries stopped awarding money to these people lawyers would not be able to make money from the victims bad choices."

Please spare me, now your a legal expert.

I'm sure the girlfriend was fully able to keep her boyfriend from physically taking the keys from her if he so desired. She told her man to hop in that car, drive drunk and endanger innocent people!!

Culpable my arse!!

The lawyers get richer cuz they are ambulance chasers who love all those billable hours. For the most part they get paid whether or not their clients do.

Don't bother bringing up contigency fees either. Some people simply should not have access to the courthouse keys.

Last time I checked Anheuser Busch, Coors, Miller Brewing company etc does not send someone along with the individual(s) that purchase the alcohol to force them to drink excessively.

People need to learn to live with life decisions that they & their loved ones make instead of making the "I'll just sue" approach.

Free will works in many a ways.

I think I will exercise a bit of free will in the not so distant future.

Show Me the Wire
04-19-2004, 01:40 AM
teeitup:

Did you ever think from the tones of my post, that I may have a legal background? What if horrors of horrors, to lefty, if i was actually, a trial lawer?

It was nice, of you, to notice I had some expertise in the field of law

Actually, if you read my other post (baseball thread) you will see some of the things I have done recently in my life. And guess what I did before my recent forays and still do on a limited basis.

BTW none of the other things I did were on a full-time basis and my coaching days ended when my son left high school about 4 yeas ago.

That freed me up to pursue my other passions.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

percpetion is reality

Show Me the Wire
04-19-2004, 02:07 AM
teeitup:

To clarify a little more one of the causes of action against the girlfriend is negligent entrustment. The theory is she put innocent peoples safety at risk by allowing an unqualified driver operate her car. He was unqualified: 1) unlicensed, and 2) impaired by being under the influence.

Not your arse, but hers.

As for the hockey case the team and its owner use to be protected by the doctrine of assumption of risk. Meaning if you attended or participated in a potential dangerous situation you assumed the risk of foreseeable injury i.e getting hit by a hit or thrown object.

I really do enjoy our esoteric discussions. If I had to guess, I would say you are an accountant.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Tee
04-19-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Show Me the Wire
teeitup:

To clarify a little more one of the causes of action against the girlfriend is negligent entrustment. The theory is she put innocent peoples safety at risk by allowing an unqualified driver operate her car. He was unqualified: 1) unlicensed, and 2) impaired by being under the influence.

Not your arse, but hers.

As for the hockey case the team and its owner use to be protected by the doctrine of assumption of risk. Meaning if you attended or participated in a potential dangerous situation you assumed the risk of foreseeable injury i.e getting hit by a hit or thrown object.

I really do enjoy our esoteric discussions. If I had to guess, I would say you are an accountant.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

We simply do not have all the facts of the case. Was the girlfriend in fact drunk as well? Did she make an attempt to have others stop him knowing full well that it was forseeable that he could kill himself or others.

I'm going to take a shot and say that the girlfriend will not be found guilty cuz a higher % of blame(comparative negligence) can be put on the boyfriend.

I would be more worried about the mother, since this is in Nevada & from the limited info in the article looks to be the owner of the vehicle.

Not only am I a jock, I'm an educated jock:) :)

I'll keep the details secret forever:D :D

One of these days I might go to work for a living:cool:

Nice talking with you & enjoying a little discovery(so to speak.)

I must go balance the books & go to bed ;) ;)

Lefty
04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
SQ, this is exactly what i've been warning you about. You hate smoking and smokers(dislike them anyways)and care not when their rights are being impacted. Now it's your turn for your Ox to be gored. If suits like this persist and enough of them are won, the price of beer will increase dramatically. Also,(I shudder)new laws will probably be implemented.
What's next, the hammer manufacturers being sued because a guy goes nuts and beats someone to death with a hammer?
Sq, I told you, once allowed, this nonsense just doesn't stop with the things you dislike; eventually, it creeps into your life as well...

sq764
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Lefty, What does this have to do with private property rights?

Secondly, this lawsuit against Coors will be thrown out so fast it won't be funny.

Lefty
04-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Sq, you don't get it? It has to do with Rights, period. That's how they started with tobacco, too. They kept bringing suits. Finally they started winning. Smokers rights as well as private property rights eventually became impacted. Prices went up, up up. Now they're starting on fastfood and beer. One day as a result of what's starting now, maybe you won't be able to drink beer in places like ball parks anymore. Maybe bars, as we know them, will disappear. Don't get too complacent. Now they're after your ox.

sq764
04-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Lefty, I think you are partially paranoid.

How many successful lawsuits have you seen against fast food places??

I don't think Prohibition is anywhere in the near future.. I am sure you do though..

Lefty
04-19-2004, 05:05 PM
sq, first, I didn't say anything about prohibition. Look at history: They started by putting the warnings on the cigs. Then they stopped all TV advertising. Then they started the lawsuits and they lost a bunch of them. Cigarrette smokers laughed and said it would go nowhere. But the lawyers persisted and they started winning. Then the Atty's Generals smelled money for their state and got involved. Now smoking is more expensive than ever and highly restricted. The fastfood cases are on the horizon and now it starts with beer. These people are patient but persistent. History shows that i'm not paranoid but that i'm right.

sq764
04-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Lefty, the reason that lawmakers gave for banning smoking in restaurants and bars was based on the dangers of second-hand smoke.

With that being said, what will banning beer in a ballpark prevent in the way of health to non-drinkers? Granted, beer restrictions are in place at NFL games not by the state or gov, but put in place by the teams. And they are in there for a reason - to prevent fights. (I am an Eagles fan, trust me on this, it has worked!)

Lefty
04-19-2004, 05:34 PM
You don't think they can come up with reasons, however spurious? If the lawyers and the atty's Gen's smell money, and they will, it can happen. It happens slowly but it happens. Better pay attention. Your ox is next to be gored!
You don't think the second hand smoke issue is crap? That there could be places for both smokers and non as I have argued till i'm blue in the fingers. Trust me, it's money. They have taxed us to our limits so now they will get the money from tobacco, alcohol, gun manufacturers, fastfood and everybody else they can think of, and everybody who doesn't like these things will stupidly jump on the bandwagon just as you have jumped on the non-smoking bandwagon, and our rights will suffer. It's happened, it keeps happening, and you son't think it can happen to your precious beer? Trust me, in time, it will.

sq764
04-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Well guess what (they won't.. but).. If they ban beer in restaurants and bars and stadiums, then I will either go to the games and restaurants and not drink or I will stay home and watch the game.. No big deal.. Life's full of easy choices..

But what you fail to realize is the govt and states are making money from these sporting events and why in the world would they ban something that brings fans in, and therefore supplements their tax budgets?

The reason banning beer will never happen is because it is not in their best financial interest to do so.

Lefty
04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
They make tons of money off cigs but have greatly restricted the places where that activity can take place. If you think no big deal, wellsir, that kind of attitude plays right into their hands.

Buckeye
04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
What a nit wit the Son was. The Mother just has to realize this fact.