PDA

View Full Version : CC"s Owner Regarding TC

nijinski
05-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Mr Coburn is very emotional right now . I can't imagine what
it feels like to have a TC contender . I believe he truly adores
his horse and who doesn't want to see a Belmont win .

However I don't agree with what he's telling reporters
(from Newsday and other publications ) .
The sport , I doubt will change any Belmont eligibility standards
based on not entering the Preakness after the Derby . The applecart
has been upset on many occasions not just in horseracing but in many
a competitive sport . I guess these classics do this to people . IMO he's
not making sense and lacking confidence in CC with these words .

His comments :
"In my opinion, there are trainers out there that train horses just to upset the apple cart," Coburn said. "I honestly believe that if you bow out in the Preakness, you don't come back in the Belmont.

"I'm 61, and I honestly believe if the Triple Crown is not won this year by California Chrome, I will never see it in my lifetime, because there are people out there trying to upset the apple cart.

"They don't want a Triple Crown winner. They want a paycheck. So that's my honest opinion. If they don't like it, I don't care."

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 04:18 PM
What on earth is he babbling about? Horses never skip the Preakness and come back in the Belmont. :rolleyes: He has a great horse, but no one is going to hand the TC to CC on a silver platter. How does he know there won't be a TC winner next year?

johnhannibalsmith
05-18-2014, 04:19 PM
I hate to tell the guy, but I suspect more people "trying to upset the apple cart" are interested in the giant purse for horses that aren't bred for, nor will ever again run, the distance on the main track and not solely there to deprive you of your manifest destiny. Sorry pal, even in the tiny solar system known as the thoroughbred racing industry, the world doesn't revolve on any one man in the spotlight at that moment.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Thank you JHS. Personally, I can't stand this guy.

TheEdge07
05-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Nonsense..Earn it..there will be riders"riding CC"in the Belmont assuring his trip wont be easy..
Get over it...

nijinski
05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
I wonder what Woody Stephens would have replied to his comments .
Or Frankel for that matter , who skipped the Preakness with Empire
Maker . A few booed EC , Frankel said Nah , they were booing the Mayor :lol:

Mr_Ed
05-18-2014, 04:36 PM
"In my opinion, there are trainers out there that train horses just to upset the apple cart," Coburn said. "I honestly believe that if you bow out in the Preakness, you don't come back in the Belmont.

Aimed at Wicked Strong.

Robert Fischer
05-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Chrome's ownership and trainer have carried themselves with relative class.

I think we have a very good potential field for the Belmont Stakes.
California Chrome, Commanding Curve, Ride On Curlin, Wicked Strong, Social Inclusion, Samraat, Danza, Tonalist, ... ?

wow!
I know every year someone says the glass is half empty, but that is a great field of possibles.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Untappable? Is she out?

Robert Fischer
05-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Untappable? Is she out?

That would be wild.
Last I heard, she was aiming for the Acorn stakes.

^^also forgot Commissioner.

cj's dad
05-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Setting in ??

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 04:48 PM
That would be wild.
Last I heard, she was aiming for the Acorn stakes.

^^also forgot Commissioner.

that's a shame

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2014, 05:22 PM

California Chrome, Commanding Curve, Ride On Curlin, Wicked Strong, Social Inclusion, Samraat, Danza, Tonalist, ... ?

wow!
I know every year someone says the glass is half empty, but that is a great field of possibles.

Yes, I believe this is the best Chrome will have faced in his career........I would love to see Untapable run in Belmont stakes, the hype wouldn't stop for this race next 3 weeks.

Dark Horse
05-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Dear Mr. Coburn. Unlike donkeys, thoroughbreds don't pull apple carts.

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2014, 06:05 PM
I understand where Coburn is coming from but there's a reason why on 11 horses have ever won the TC........no one hands it to you that easily.

Sure I wish Smarty Jones would have won the TC & how about Real Quiet losing by a nose. I bet Baffert still has nightmares of that one.

Coburn has hit the lotto 2 times, one time winning the derby, 2nd time the Preakness......he shouldn't have said anything about trainers & their fresh horses skipping the Preakness. The target is really on Chromes back now, not that it wasn't before his owner saying that.

If he wins the TC, then they will be rewarded like the 11 other TC winners.

I wonder if there were a lot of horses skipping the Preakness for the Belmont back in the day, especially with those 11 TC winners.

depalma113
05-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Yes, I believe this is the best Chrome will have faced in his career........I would love to see Untapable run in Belmont stakes, the hype wouldn't stop for this race next 3 weeks.

I guess you mean Tonalist? Since he as thumped the rest already.

Mr_Ed
05-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Wait until someone throws a rabbit into this race.

nijinski
05-18-2014, 07:44 PM

wow!

The class slipped a bit when they gave NY the ultamatim regarding the
nasal strips .

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I guess you mean Tonalist? Since he as thumped the rest already.

Well......I won't be betting on Chrome in the Belmont because its so hard to win the crown, then again, I wont be betting against him either in hopes he does win it all.......

I bet him in the derby & Preakness but I won't in the Belmont because of how hard it is to run your best race 3 times in 5 weeks. I don't think Chrome has ran his best yet but you never know.......

Birdstone was beaten by Smarty by 15 1/2 lengths in the derby, only to skip the Preakness & beat Smarty in the Belmont.

LemonDropKid was beaten in 1999 by Charismatic coming in 9th place in the derby. LDK passed on the Preakness & came back to win the Belmont.

Victory Gallop was beaten twice by Real Quiet, derby & Preakness but Victory Gallop returned the favor by besting RQ by a nose at Belmont & taking away the closest we have ever come to a TC since 1978.

Just because a horse has dominated the derby & Preakness which I knew he would & so did you & others as well, doesn't mean he won't lose in the longest race of the TC series.

Do I think he will lose? No I dont but I won't bet on it.......if we're talking money to be made on this horse, the time has come & gone.

I've said before the derby that this years 3 year old crop was weak except for Chrome......but with fresh horses coming in, you can't discount the same horses he beat in the derby just because he best them already.........like I said, I hope he does win the TC & if he does, he will join the other 11 TC winners in history.

Tom
05-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Dear Mr. Coburn. Unlike donkeys, thoroughbreds don't pull apple carts.

Some just run like they are.

horses4courses
05-18-2014, 09:26 PM
The class slipped a bit when they gave NY the ultamatim regarding the
nasal strips .

What are they supposed to do?
Lie down, and say nothing?

I don't see any way that they skip the race.
But, you know what?
I would applaud them if they did.

SandyW
05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I think that in the Belmont they are going to really let this horse run, the first two were easy, the Belmont will be even easier for this once in a lifetime great horse.

Just ask Baffert what he thinks about what he saw out there on Preakness day.

On the Rodger Stein show Sunday morning Baffert said the field could have went around again and no body was going by this horse.

His final comment was CC was playing with this field.

PS: There is nothing wrong with an owner bragging when you hit the 20 million dollar plus jackpot and prove to everybody that your words have been backed up.
Nasal strip or no nasal strip this is a very special horse.
See you in New York in three weeks for another try at history.

johnhannibalsmith
05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
But, you know what?

I've read a lot of this, so please don't think that I am picking on you because I'm not - but I actually think I may get a decent response from you, so you win the lottery.

Why?

I understand that it's a silly snafu that probably should have been put out of its misery once and for all the last time that it came up, but it didn't, and since it didn't, it has never been a mystery to anyone that cares what the score is with this scenario.

I mean, if the guy was so confident that this colt was going to show what his owner already knew... why not address this when he was a yearling since there has really never been a chance that the final leg of the Triple Crown would be run anywhere other than at Belmont?

If not as a yearling, then last year, if not last year, then last month. Be proactive and try to get a rule change or something - even a wink and a nod from someone, for God's sake.

But now... suddenly he's some sort of noble warrior because he doesn't like a rule that has been in effect for the entire lifespan of his champion?

I like the guy... I think... at least, how he's carried himself in the spotlight, just sort of being himself, for better or for worse. At least it's a real human being talking like a real human being.

But for such a large group of people to actually hope that he throws a little fit and deprives himself, his trainer, co-owners, his horse, his grooms, his gallop boys, the industry, the bettors, the fans, the media, and everyfrigginbody else because he wants to run with a borderline useless (in my opinion) piece of adhesive and the rules dictate that he doesn't automatically get to and a guy just a couple years back suffered the same fate in the same race...

... what is this big noble movement of his about by taking a stand on this one?

Racing is full of stupid rules and this is probably one of the sillier ones but hardly the most egregious. We all deal with them and if we don't want to deal with them because they are stupid, we lobby to get them changed. I'm not following the salutations being awarded this guy for what people are hoping will be a case of blackmail/extortion/something like that to get a special exception at the last minute as if anyone would give a shit if some crapper shipping from Lone Star Park bitched like this.

Relwob Owner
05-18-2014, 09:45 PM

But, you know what?

Respond in a thoughtful and classy way with something like "Well, it is a day after the Preakness so lets not get ahead of ourselves. We will get with our trainer and the officials there and see what happens". I don't think making threats at this stage does anyone any good.

This guy seems to think he is now the Mayor of horse racing and based on what he has said thus far, I have a hard time pulling for him.

TheEdge07
05-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Respond in a thoughtful and classy way with something like "Well, it is a day after the Preakness so lets not get ahead of ourselves. We will get with our trainer and the officials there and see what happens". I don't think making threats at this stage does anyone any good.

This guy seems to think he is now the Mayor of horse racing and based on what he has said thus far, I have a hard time pulling for him.

Yep agree 100% hes making it about him..Shut up and enjoy the journey because it will end...
Sounds like hes almost making excuses already..

SandyW
05-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Cut the man some slack, he is a very hard working happy person at this point in his life, none of us know what this person has gone thru in life. Who are we to judge other people, this is about the horse and should be a happy moment for all us horse players that we have something good happening in our sport.

Mad Scientist
05-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Chrome should be the line speed in the race, so I don't know how any riders are going to make it tough on him trip wise. If CC is good enough to go 1 1/2 he wins and if not he loses. He won't lose because another rider made it tough on him, unless another rider decided to quarter horse it, but that only gives Chrome a target to run it which he likes.

This is CC race to lose, nasal strip or no nasal strip.

horses4courses
05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Butting heads with racing hierarchy has been going on since before Seabiscuit and War Admiral.
I would applaud them for taking a stand against a stupid rule.
I say that while not really believing that it would ever come to that.
It has all the appearances of a bluff.

Could it have been handled better? Probably, yes.
Words were spoken right after a long and exciting day.

The intrigue factor for me is this:
In the unlikely event of CC's connections deciding to skip the Belmont, who deprived us of seeing a potential TC winner?
The NY racing officials sticking to their guns over a ridiculous rule,
or the California owners who stuck to theirs?

mannyberrios
05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
I've read a lot of this, so please don't think that I am picking on you because I'm not - but I actually think I may get a decent response from you, so you win the lottery.

Why?

I understand that it's a silly snafu that probably should have been put out of its misery once and for all the last time that it came up, but it didn't, and since it didn't, it has never been a mystery to anyone that cares what the score is with this scenario.

I mean, if the guy was so confident that this colt was going to show what his owner already knew... why not address this when he was a yearling since there has really never been a chance that the final leg of the Triple Crown would be run anywhere other than at Belmont?

If not as a yearling, then last year, if not last year, then last month. Be proactive and try to get a rule change or something - even a wink and a nod from someone, for God's sake.

But now... suddenly he's some sort of noble warrior because he doesn't like a rule that has been in effect for the entire lifespan of his champion?

I like the guy... I think... at least, how he's carried himself in the spotlight, just sort of being himself, for better or for worse. At least it's a real human being talking like a real human being.

But for such a large group of people to actually hope that he throws a little fit and deprives himself, his trainer, co-owners, his horse, his grooms, his gallop boys, the industry, the bettors, the fans, the media, and everyfrigginbody else because he wants to run with a borderline useless (in my opinion) piece of adhesive and the rules dictate that he doesn't automatically get to and a guy just a couple years back suffered the same fate in the same race...

... what is this big noble movement of his about by taking a stand on this one?

Racing is full of stupid rules and this is probably one of the sillier ones but hardly the most egregious. We all deal with them and if we don't want to deal with them because they are stupid, we lobby to get them changed. I'm not following the salutations being awarded this guy for what people are hoping will be a case of blackmail/extortion/something like that to get a special exception at the last minute as if anyone would give a shit if some crapper shipping from Lone Star Park bitched like this. Thank.you for this brilliant post

johnhannibalsmith
05-18-2014, 10:12 PM
The NY racing officials sticking to their guns over a ridiculous rule,
or the California owners who stuck to theirs?

I'd say the California owners, obviously. I just don't understand how everyone can rail against stewards for inconsistencies every day of the week and then turn around and rail against them for consistency when it happens.

As I said elsewhere, or maybe here, ideally the stewards will grant him some kind of conditional-esque approval (that grants every other horse from that point on the same ruling sans their opinion) on grounds that they have already initiated a "rule change" (for lack of a better expression) to either get in line with everyone else or a decision to prohibit them outright.

nijinski
05-18-2014, 11:01 PM

But, you know what?

I would not applaud that move ut I don't think they would skip either ,
unless CC had issues developing .

taxicab
05-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Setting in ??

Dimentia ?
No...
It would be his third six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

clocker7
05-19-2014, 04:53 AM
When I was young, I worked in a federal agency. This sort of micromanagement (with nasal strips) was very typical of what government bureaucrats did where I worked: jack people around over tiny issues in order to justify their existence. Whenever there was a committee involved, it often rose to a constitutional case level, with backs arched and feet dragging. Something that would get resolved elsewhere with a quick management direction to a flunky instead became a thorn in everyone's side for no real reason.

Give me one good reason why nasal strips take approval, other than the circular argument that there is a screwy rule/mindset in place that takes stewards to inspect for every request.

There isn't any.

classhandicapper
05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
I understand his point.

It used to be that if you had a good Derby horse you ran in all 3 races trying to get one in the series. That meant everyone was on equal terms for the Belmont other than any late developers that missed the Derby. Now, a lot of trainers are opting to skip the Preakness and go to the Belmont instead hoping to gain an advantage with a fresher horse. Theoretically that might put a Derby/Preakness winner shooting for a Triple Crown at a disadvantage relative to the past.

I don't think they should change anything, but he may have a valid point about it being harder to win all 3 now.

Maybe they can offer some kind of bonus to any horse than runs in ALL 3 and accumulates a certain number of points based on finish.

Relwob Owner
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Cut the man some slack, he is a very hard working happy person at this point in his life, none of us know what this person has gone thru in life. Who are we to judge other people, this is about the horse and should be a happy moment for all us horse players that we have something good happening in our sport.

Well, you are making a judgement here in terms of saying he is a very hard working and happy person....do you know him personally? If you do know him, I apologize in advance but if you don't, you are making a judgement from what you have read about him and heard him say. That is exactly what I am doing as well.....

goatchaser
05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I would only say this about Mr Coburn, Although I don't like the comments reported here that he has been quoted as saying. I will say this..This isn't a guy who has been in the game his whole life, been around track higher ups. This is all new to him and is now just starting to hear about some things. That's my thinking. It's been this way since I can remember...When Seattle Slew Came to California to run in the California the West coast Jocks did everything they could to upset the apple cart and an undefeated horse and Triple Crown winner...and it worked. J.O. Tobin went wire to wire and Slew faded badly. It's just part of the game...which makes winning the Triple Crown so hard. I'll be rooting that he's good enough for what ever happens in the race and that he just that much better than the rest. I hope he realizes this and just keeps quiet for now. I think some of this is a carry over from Church where he and his group were made to feel like 2nd class Citizens. But glad he had the ballzzzz to speak up where people who have been in the game along time and are afraid of speaking up or because of being in the game so long were treated better. I would like to know how the Texas boys were treated when Mine That Bird won.

goatchaser
05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Well, you are making a judgement here in terms of saying he is a very hard working and happy person....do you know him personally? If you do know him, I apologize in advance but if you don't, you are making a judgement from what you have read about him and heard him say. That is exactly what I am doing as well.....

I'm the owner of a horse that won the first 2 legs of the Triple Crown...F**K yeah I'm Happy : )

Relwob Owner
05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm the owner of a horse that won the first 2 legs of the Triple Crown...F**K yeah I'm Happy : )

It is pretty obvious that anyone would be happy to have a horse that has won the first 2 legs of the TC. However, only people who know him personally probably know if he is happy overall, outside of horse ownership. The media is obviously playing up the "every man, hard working" angle but I see a lot of him spouting off about different race tracks, policies, etc and it just rubs me the wrong way.

clocker7
05-22-2014, 02:07 PM
It is pretty obvious that anyone would be happy to have a horse that has won the first 2 legs of the TC. However, only people who know him personally probably know if he is happy overall, outside of horse ownership. The media is obviously playing up the "every man, hard working" angle but I see a lot of him spouting off about different race tracks, policies, etc and it just rubs me the wrong way.
Exactly how many times has he spouted off? What, twice? Once, in solidarity to his co-owner about the difficulties they encountered at CD? Or about the possibility of TC runners being required to run every race?

Those aren't exactly the remarks of a bitter man. One was in defense of his bud, and the other one was musing that we do here more frequently. In his case, he's an amateur whose remarks get magnified. Large deal.

These folks seem to know that their time in the limelight has a short shelf-life, and also seem to think that they might be able to leverage it to improve the sport a tiny bit. That's how I read it. Compare that to Barry Irwin's rant in the winner's circle or Ogden Phipp's ongoing threats to do this/that. How many activists swoon endlessly over their passion?

Give these unwashed, average joes a break. They are on an incredible, out-of-body ride. They have one of the most odds-breaking, attractive horses--talent-wise and personality-wise--to come down the pike ... ever.

Relwob Owner
05-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Exactly how many times has he spouted off? What, twice? Once, in solidarity to his co-owner about the difficulties they encountered at CD? Or about the possibility of TC runners being required to run every race?

Those aren't exactly the remarks of a bitter man. One was in defense of his bud, and the other one was musing that we do here more frequently. In his case, he's an amateur whose remarks get magnified. Large deal.

These folks seem to know that their time in the limelight has a short shelf-life, and also seem to think that they might be able to leverage it to improve the sport a tiny bit. That's how I read it. Compare that to Barry Irwin's rant in the winner's circle or Ogden Phipp's ongoing threats to do this/that. How many activists swoon endlessly over their passion?

Give these unwashed, average joes a break. They are on an incredible, out-of-body ride. They have one of the most odds-breaking, attractive horses--talent-wise and personality-wise--to come down the pike ... ever.

If you had followed my posts within the thread, it is clear I don't think he is bitter. A poster told me not to judge him and then went on to label him "happy and hard working". I made the obvious point that they were judging him(calling him happy and hard working without knowing him) just like they said I was.

All I am saying, as I said before, is that the classy move, especially for someone who, as you and many have pointed out hasn't been in this position before, is to just take things as they come and not act as if they are now the anointed ones who can and should question policies that have been in place for years

I also dont understand how people defend these guys based on the fact that they are "unwashed average joes". So, if they were wealthier then they should
not be cut slack for their comments? That doesn't make sense to me. Their comments and actions would rub me the wrong way regardless of their background.

Rex Phinney
05-22-2014, 03:46 PM
From what I've always heard about how Churchill Downs treats horsemen on Derby day Coburn's comments where long overdue.

Churchill is greedy when it comes to certain things, they would prefer to give all the good treatment to celebrities and idiots in dumb hats spedning the most $$$ than the guys who's horses are putting on the show.

I do think the CC camp jumped the gun on the nasal strip thing, NY basically approved it as soon as they could so the circus around the strip was not really needed.

goatchaser
05-22-2014, 05:01 PM
If you had followed my posts within the thread, it is clear I don't think he is bitter. A poster told me not to judge him and then went on to label him "happy and hard working". I made the obvious point that they were judging him(calling him happy and hard working without knowing him) just like they said I was.

All I am saying, as I said before, is that the classy move, especially for someone who, as you and many have pointed out hasn't been in this position before, is to just take things as they come and not act as if they are now the anointed ones who can and should question policies that have been in place for years

I also dont understand how people defend these guys based on the fact that they are "unwashed average joes". So, if they were wealthier then they should
not be cut slack for their comments? That doesn't make sense to me. Their comments and actions would rub me the wrong way regardless of their background.
Maybe the upper more wealthy weren't treated the way he was?

Rex Phinney
05-22-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm reminded of Baffert watching Bodemeister's derby while standing, in the Clubhouse....... on a Television.

Relwob Owner
05-22-2014, 06:54 PM

You are reaching IMO....what does this have to do with whether or not he deserves slack because he is a "hard working, regular guy"?

.....and what excuse do you give him for his absurd take that horses shouldn't be allowed to run in the Belmont if they don't run in the Preakness? His "hard working" demeanor should give him a free pass from having a comment like that scrutinized?

I guess we can agree to disagree and enjoy the fact that he is giving us something to discuss :ThmbUp:

clocker7
05-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Some people are too easily rubbed the wrong way, evidently.

Personally, I always give a little more slack to average joes who are not media-practiced, and who are put into the limelight the first time. Professionals take coaching lessons and have years of experience, yet they still say things that bother those with tender sensibilities.

Give these guys a break. They're likely doing better than you ever would.

goatchaser
05-22-2014, 08:00 PM
You are reaching IMO....what does this have to do with whether or not he deserves slack because he is a "hard working, regular guy"?

.....and what excuse do you give him for his absurd take that horses shouldn't be allowed to run in the Belmont if they don't run in the Preakness? His "hard working" demeanor should give him a free pass from having a comment like that scrutinized?

I guess we can agree to disagree and enjoy the fact that he is giving us something to discuss :ThmbUp:
If you go back to my first post on this page..I said I didn't Like what he said. : )

Relwob Owner
05-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I saw that...the agree to disagree thought is more because you seem to give him a pass for some reasons and I don't

The WindfallAngler
05-22-2014, 11:21 PM
I understand his point.

It used to be that if you had a good Derby horse you ran in all 3 races trying to get one in the series. That meant everyone was on equal terms for the Belmont other than any late developers that missed the Derby. Now, a lot of trainers are opting to skip the Preakness and go to the Belmont instead hoping to gain an advantage with a fresher horse.Time was, a trainer move like this could be seen as a transparently gutless thing to do (no matter who it was that's doing it).

The crux being, the connections of a prior Derby starter can state truthfully that, at the time they announced the skip, they had no way of knowing for certain that a derby winner would secure his Preakness. (When The Derby winner fails to collect his second jewel, who really cares?)

So I liked that CC's owner expressed these concerns.

Though, as to "hospitality": in fairness Churchill Downs lacked the foreknowledge that Pimlico enjoyed, in catering to the convenience of a Kentucky Derby Winner, not just the Derby Favorite.

Stillriledup
05-22-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm reminded of Baffert watching Bodemeister's derby while standing, in the Clubhouse....... on a Television.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70399&page=1&pp=15

Stillriledup
05-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Some people are too easily rubbed the wrong way, evidently.

Personally, I always give a little more slack to average joes who are not media-practiced, and who are put into the limelight the first time. Professionals take coaching lessons and have years of experience, yet they still say things that bother those with tender sensibilities.

Give these guys a break. They're likely doing better than you ever would.

But the media practiced interviewees are better at lying, the average joes like this guy, well, they just tell the truth...so the way they come across is probably more genuine than the "politicians" who are accomplished liars.

So, while he gets slack for being honest, he gets being less PC held against him by the PC crowd.

I don't like the guy or dislike the guy, i'm neutral, but it seems like the more he says, the less likeable he becomes.

The WindfallAngler
05-22-2014, 11:54 PM
...what excuse do you give him for his absurd take that horses shouldn't be allowed to run in the Belmont if they don't run in the Preakness? Was that what he said?

When you've said that, you've conveyed a meaning not so urgent perhaps, as when you've said: Derby STARTERS "shouldn't be allowed to run in the Belmont if they don't run in the Preakness."

luisbe
05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
No matter who you are but if you decide to show your miseries publicly then you've got to accept the critics.
That is absolutely beyond that beautiful animal, CC, that does not understand other thing that giving his best to this sport.

Relwob Owner
05-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Was that what he said?

When you've said that, you've conveyed a meaning not so urgent perhaps, as when you've said: Derby STARTERS "shouldn't be allowed to run in the Belmont if they don't run in the Preakness."

I was paraphrasing what he said, yes, because it was outlined specifically in the OP's post. I said 'horses' and meant those who had started in the Derby, as he said in his quote. So to confirm and be more specific, he did say, 'bow out', so yes it is Derby starters.......and yes, my opinion is still that questioning the way it has been done for so many years was absurd.

Relwob Owner
05-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Time was, a trainer move like this could be seen as a transparently gutless thing to do (no matter who it was that's doing it).

The crux being, the connections of a prior Derby starter can state truthfully that, at the time they announced the skip, they had no way of knowing for certain that a derby winner would secure his Preakness. (When The Derby winner fails to collect his second jewel, who really cares?)

So I liked that CC's owner expressed these concerns.

Though, as to "hospitality": in fairness Churchill Downs lacked the foreknowledge that Pimlico enjoyed, in catering to the convenience of a Kentucky Derby Winner, not just the Derby Favorite.

It isn't 'gutless', it is smart.

One of the many reasons why winning the Triple Crown is so hard is because opposing owners and trainers can sit Derby losers out the second leg and win the third with a fresher horse. These owners have not been shy about how good their horse is and if you are going to be like that, then don't question why other horses can skip the second leg. If their horse is as good as they say he is, he should be able to overcome this, no?

Also, let's say his suggestion merits a change and Derby horses aren't allowed to skip the Preakness and run in the Belmont. This is a terrible idea because then won't future Triple Crown winners have an asterix of sorts by their name because they will have won under different rules?

nijinski
06-08-2014, 10:52 PM
But the media practiced interviewees are better at lying, the average joes like this guy, well, they just tell the truth...so the way they come across is probably more genuine than the "politicians" who are accomplished liars.

So, while he gets slack for being honest, he gets being less PC held against him by the PC crowd.

I don't like the guy or dislike the guy, i'm neutral, but it seems like the more he says, the less likeable he becomes.

Are you still neutral ? :lol:

Valuist
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
We saw the true colors of the connections. It wasn't heat of the moment stupidity. It was the Dumb Ass partner living up to his name.

First the threat of not running if NYRA wouldn't allow nasal strips. NYRA gave in because the nasal strips are a complete placebo and not worth fighting over. But if it was something significant, I think they would've stood their ground and called Sherman's bluff.

Coburn's 15 minutes of fame are up. Too bad this "feel good" story deteriorated into a display of douche-baggery.

Curlin
06-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Makes me feel good CC didn't win.