PDA

View Full Version : 2 Mismanaged horses...

TheEdge07
05-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Social Inclusion
Ria Atonia

Poor job by both outfits..

Robert Fischer
05-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Social Inclusion just picked up $165K in earnings and has earned $314K in 4 starts. He's also been reportedly drawing significant offers from other ownership.

Hard to be too critical of their management of the horse.

Ria Antonia - I agree 100%.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Social Inclusion just picked up $165K in earnings and has earned $314K in 4 starts. He's also been reportedly drawing significant offers from other ownership.

I agree with you. I think the critique of SI is not necessarily the management, just the "not selling" part. Not selling a horse for 8 million (or whatever they claim is a legit offer) when he's worth significantly less is the "bad management" that Edger might be talking about.

Mineshaft
05-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Social Inclusion
Ria Atonia

Poor job by both outfits..

Social Inclusion is not a bad horse and i think hes been managed pretty good

Ria Antonia on the other hand they have fawked this horse all up

JustRalph
05-17-2014, 11:58 PM
If they can get SI past his nerves, he might be a factor later in the year.

Remember, these guys are just babes. Lots of changes to come.....in all of them.

OntheRail
05-18-2014, 12:04 AM

Concur

handyman1968
05-18-2014, 03:40 AM
SI got issues and might very well be the best of this year's crop. I doubt his stud value is high with only an allowance win to show for so it might be better to geld.

classhandicapper
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Ria Antonia has been about as poorly managed as any top horse I've seen in a long time.

I would not have managed Social Inclusion the same way. I think they asked too much too soon, especially when he missed some work and a prep. But whether he's mismanaged or not will be clear going forward. There's no pressure to run in any big races now. They should freshen him up a little, get a prep into him, and then make another run at the big boys in the Haskell (not Travers).

lamboguy
05-18-2014, 10:08 AM
i thought SOCIAL INCLUSION ran huge yesterday, i never expected him to do anything in this race.

maybe its just that we have a real good crop of 3 year old's this year. ultimately this is why the accomplishments from CALIFORNIA CHROME is nothing short of amazing to me so far.

its not only me that thinks this way either, the attendance at the triple crown races is up this year and i expect the Belmont Stakes to shatter all records.

WJ47
05-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I would have sold Social Inclusion when the big offer came in, but otherwise, the horse seems to be doing well.

I hate to be critical, but the situation with Ria Antonia is just a joke. I get that the guy is proud of his filly, but he's making a complete fool of himself. I hope someone talks some sense into him and they enter the filly where she can actually win.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2014, 02:14 PM
At the very least, she'll put to test the time-worn and honored saying of how entering a horse way above its head will no doubt "ruin" them.

NJ Stinks
05-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Ria Antonia has been about as poorly managed as any top horse I've seen in a long time.

One thing must be said in defense of the owner. I couldn't understand why this filly was entered in the BC Juvenile Fillies race and the owner won a million dollar race.

8 starts and $1.25M earned is not bad by any standard.

tucker6
05-18-2014, 02:34 PM
At the very least, she'll put to test the time-worn and honored saying of how entering a horse way above its head will no doubt "ruin" them.
do you agree or disagree with that saying? I think it has a lot of merit myself.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
do you agree or disagree with that saying? I think it has a lot of merit myself.For the most part, I disagree completely that any one race (barring injury) can ruin a horse.

classhandicapper
05-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Some seem to come back fine from it and some do not.

I wouldn't consider the outcome of this individual horse to be indicative of a hard fast rule that applies to all horses. For all we know they are aiming for the Travers next. :bang:

tucker6
05-18-2014, 02:55 PM
For the most part, I disagree completely that any one race (barring injury) can ruin a horse.
Well, I agree with you on that point. I was agreeing with the notion that repeatedly putting a horse against better competition like is happening with the filly is not good for the horse long term.

onefast99
05-18-2014, 04:18 PM
First and foremost, I personally don't think there was ever an offer on SI. Why? I don't believe Rontos racing had anyone that wanted to take a large piece of him and let Rontos stay involved in the horse while keeping Manny Azpurua as their trainer. This horse wasn't properly trained coming into the Wood. He was given several 3f works and that just made this horse too wound up. His actions before the race in the Wood, sweating and nervous on a cool day were the telltale signs. The walkover at the Preakness was perfect, in the post parade he started to act up, four minutes prior to loading into the gate he became unruly once in the gate he became fractious. He is a big beautiful horse who does sweat quite a bit, I saw him at GP after a workout in April, he was covered in sweat and pretty lathered up. After yesterdays race he was very tired. I don't think we have seen the best of this one as of yet. Going to the Belmont isn't something I would do with him but I'm not an owner just a fan. Maybe someone will come along and buy him, his upside potential is enormous, if in the right hands!

nijinski
05-18-2014, 04:22 PM
First and foremost, I personally don't think there was ever an offer on SI. Why? I don't believe Rontos racing had anyone that wanted to take a large piece of him and let Rontos stay involved in the horse while keeping Manny Azpurua as their trainer. This horse wasn't properly trained coming into the Wood. He was given several 3f works and that just made this horse too wound up. His actions before the race in the Wood, sweating and nervous on a cool day were the telltale signs. The walkover at the Preakness was perfect, in the post parade he started to act up, four minutes prior to loading into the gate he became unruly once in the gate he became fractious. He is a big beautiful horse who does sweat quite a bit, I saw him at GP after a workout in April, he was covered in sweat and pretty lathered up. After yesterdays race he was very tired. I don't think we have seen the best of this one as of yet. Going to the Belmont isn't something I would do with him but I'm not an owner just a fan. Maybe someone will come along and buy him, his upside potential is enormous, if in the right hands!

They may have looked at him and said two words Geld him !

onefast99
05-18-2014, 04:29 PM
They may have looked at him and said two words Geld him !
Bingo!!!!

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Bingo!!!!

Obviously not going to happen

Robert Fischer
05-18-2014, 04:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with Social Inclusion, (http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9122080&registry=T) http://www.brisnet.com/pictures/socialinclusion3-12lesliemartin.jpg

simply turning out to be the next Itsmyluckyday (http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8865550&registry=T). http://www.brisnet.com/pictures/itsmyluckyday1-26.jpg

Could an elite trainer better prepare the horse for shots at the Travers and Breeders Cup Classic in hopes of securing more breeding value?

That's up to the current owners to decide.

There's nothing wrong with doing it their way with their trainer either.

JustRalph
05-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Tom Amoss comes off looking like the court jester yesterday

Mineshaft
05-18-2014, 07:10 PM
For the most part, I disagree completely that any one race (barring injury) can ruin a horse.

I disagree one race can ruin a horse for life ive seen it too many times.

Thebigguy
05-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Agree. I thought maybe it was a bit to much to soon for SI, but he ran well. I actually think he is very dangerous in the Belmont, from what I have read about whos pointing to the race it looks like SI will be totally loose on the front end.

Thebigguy
05-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Social Inclusion is not a bad horse and i think hes been managed pretty good

Ria Antonia on the other hand they have fawked this horse all up

Im not sure they messed anything up. She stinks and has always been slow. I said on another board even the legendary Baffert would never get that horse to win again.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I disagree one race can ruin a horse for life ive seen it too many times.

I go back and forth on this one - interested in your list?

Grits
05-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Tom Amoss comes off looking like the court jester yesterday

Hhhhmmm. Linda Rice with Kid Cruz might be better a better candidate.

Mineshaft
05-18-2014, 07:30 PM
I go back and forth on this one - interested in your list?

No list Mike but ive seen it in claimers and Allowance horses mostly. Not so much the stakes horses but ive seen it happen. It might not ruin there career but for a 3-5 race stretch these horses are lost and not interested.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 07:31 PM

He was on the improve (and a nice claim--great job on her part)...I don't mean to sound like DW Lukas, but why not?

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
No list Mike but ive seen it in claimers and Allowance horses mostly. Not so much the stakes horses but ive seen it happen. It might not ruin there career but for a 3-5 race stretch these horses are lost and not interested.

Totally disagree with claimers. It may ruin their form cycle, but nothing else.

Grits
05-18-2014, 07:38 PM
He was on the improve (and a nice claim--great job on her part)...I don't mean to sound like DW Lukas, but why not?

Wasn't impressed. I'm sorry, I never was. Going in.

Each point of call:

9-10-10-10-9-8

"Failed to generate a significant response and could only get past tired rivals."

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2014, 07:40 PM
I've seen much worse placement, but it's subjective. In any case, what a great claim. I wouldn't have thought of claiming the horse in a million years.

letswastemoney
05-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Social Inclusion does not belong in this discussion of mismanaged horses. He trounced Honor Code and finished second in two straight grade 1s.

I think people are letting his popularity get in the way of the fact Social is a very good, upper level colt.

classhandicapper
05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Social Inclusion does not belong in this discussion of mismanaged horses. He trounced Honor Code and finished second in two straight grade 1s.

I think people are letting his popularity get in the way of the fact Social is a very good, upper level colt.

Running him the Preakness in only his 4th start after missing a prep and 3 days of training was a black mark in my book even if he did get 3rd. I excused it because they know the horse better than I do. But if they wheel him back in the Belmont when every indication is that he's a middle distance horse at this stage of his career, I vote for mishandled. If they don't want to freshen him up for a strong summer campaign I can deal with that, but there are better options than the Belmont.

exactatom
05-22-2014, 01:02 AM

I do not see it that way. Kid Cruz is a closer to an expected hot pace, had won a stakes races (Tesio) on the track, and would have been a notable in the Wood Memorial if not injured. I think Linda Rice did a great job on the claim and took a shot in a place that made a lot of sense.

Stillriledup
05-22-2014, 01:18 AM
Running him the Preakness in only his 4th start after missing a prep and 3 days of training was a black mark in my book even if he did get 3rd. I excused it because they know the horse better than I do. But if they wheel him back in the Belmont when every indication is that he's a middle distance horse at this stage of his career, I vote for mishandled. If they don't want to freshen him up for a strong summer campaign I can deal with that, but there are better options than the Belmont.

What do they know about the horse that you don't know that actually matters? When they enter the horse, you, as the handicapper can see when the horse is entered and you can make a judgment on whether the horse is coming back too soon, waiting too long, racing too far, racing over his head, racing on the wrong surface, ridden by the wrong jockey, etc. Handicappers make those decisions without having emotion involved, the trainer is very close to the situation, so he might overvalue his own horse's talent...while you are rating the horse having no emotional ties to the barn.

What they could know that you don't know is his current physical condition, etc. But if the horse shows up at the track, passes his vet inspections, comes out on the track and looks happy and healthy, the stuff that they knew (that you didnt) kinda doesn't matter at that point.

overthehill
05-22-2014, 01:30 AM
i dont agree at all. SI had run a huge beyer before the wood . off that it was certainly one of the fastest horses in the race. Assuming it might improve second time out against stakes competition, it made sense to try the preakness. If CC doesnt fire, it figured to have a great chance to win a leg of the triple crown. what would be the alternative spot for the horse? the met mile against palace malice?

letswastemoney
05-22-2014, 03:33 AM
That's right, I meant to write third, not second. But, I thought Social Inclusion ran pretty well considering the wide trip and not his optimal running style. He may be the type of horse that runs well when there's a clear lead, such as Game On Dude.

onefast99
05-22-2014, 10:40 AM
That's right, I meant to write third, not second. But, I thought Social Inclusion ran pretty well considering the wide trip and not his optimal running style. He may be the type of horse that runs well when there's a clear lead, such as Game On Dude.
Put him on the lead in the Belmont and he may never look back! 4 lifetime starts 2 of those in grade 1's with less than perfect trips. A perfect trip in the allowance race vs Honor Code showed he is very talented. Look at Ruler On Ice vs Shackelford, front end runners in the Belmont can win.

classhandicapper
05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
He's a very talented horse. At this point he looks more like a miler than can stretch his speed a little further with the right trip. If he was mine, the Belmont would not even be up for consideration. I'd probably opt for the Woody Stephens or a short vacation and then start over.