PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Racetrack Veterinarian

Augenj
05-17-2014, 10:16 AM
I found this to be compelling. I hope it hasn't been posted elsewhere at PA although there's been plenty of talk about these issues.

Confessions of a Racetrack Veterinarian (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/every-day-i-almost-quit-confessions-racetrack-veterinarian-n106791)

forced89
05-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Interesting. Fortunately I only have a couple of horses and thus am able to watch them like a hawk. Whenever I see the vet bills rapidly increasing with maintenance shots of bute and other medications I immediately send my horse back to the farm and have him thoroughly checked out by my "at home" vet to see where he stands health wise. If he needs treatment, I have him treated. If not, I turn him out for a minimum of 4 months then slowly start the process of getting him ready for a return to the track.

I'm an individual and can do this. Then I look back at where I used to own only own a small piece of a horse as part of a Partnership. It is clear to me that those who syndicate horses into small pieces almost never pull one out of training. I have to believe they have come to the conclusion that it is easier to overly medicate the horse and explain away his deteriorating performance than to explain to his Partners that they should stop on the horse and won't have the "thrill" of watching him run for many months.

Augenj
05-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Interesting. Fortunately I only have a couple of horses and thus am able to watch them like a hawk. Whenever I see the vet bills rapidly increasing with maintenance shots of bute and other medications I immediately send my horse back to the farm and have him thoroughly checked out by my "at home" vet to see where he stands health wise. If he needs treatment, I have him treated. If not, I turn him out for a minimum of 4 months then slowly start the process of getting him ready for a return to the track.

I'm an individual and can do this. Then I look back at where I used to own only own a small piece of a horse as part of a Partnership. It is clear to me that those who syndicate horses into small pieces almost never pull one out of training. I have to believe they have come to the conclusion that it is easier to overly medicate the horse and explain away his deteriorating performance than to explain to his Partners that they should stop on the horse and won't have the "thrill" of watching him run for many months.
Glad to see somebody doing the right thing. :ThmbUp: