PDA

View Full Version : Now I've heard it all!

Tom
04-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Emerald Downs, 4th race.
Horse is leading by over 5 lengths nearing the wire and the announcer says, "This horse is going to donkey-lick them!"
Is this a good thing or a bad thing??
Will some horse get donkey-licked in the Derby?
Do I really want to know what this means???

:eek:

penguinfan
04-18-2004, 05:59 PM
A while back at Mountaineer listening/watching the talking heads Mark and Nancy on the monitor between races Mark is describing past races and conditions for the entrants such as "This horse was beaten on a fast track by a length on Jan 3rd" after describing several like this he got to a horse who lost on a sloppy track and you guessed it, and I am not making this up:

"This horse was beaten off on the second of February"

I absolutly could not believe he said that.
Penguinfan

penguinfan
04-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Of course now that I think about it I guess that horse and I had something in common.:eek:

Seabiscuit@AR
04-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Tom

"Donkey-lick" is a term sometimes used by racing people in Australia to describe a horse beating its rivals by many lengths. After I saw yout posting I read a quote in today's Sydney Morning Herald by Max Presnell which puts the term into context:

"Many years ago, the definition of a champion was best described by Arthur Ward, a former jockey. "A champion is a horse that not only beats other good horses but donkey-licks them," Ward said."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/18/1082226641083.html

JustRalph
04-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by penguinfan

I once wrote a police report on a fast paced day where I was running from call to call and it was hot as hell etc....tough day.

The next day the Sgt. read the report at Roll Call...just for fun.

The scenario was this. An 11 year old had to walk home from school two blocks every day. A bully was kicking his butt on a regular basis. The victims older sister decided to hide in the bushes and take care of this problem for her little brother. When the bully started whipping up on her brother she jumped from the bushes and attacked him with an umbrella. She flat kicked his butt whacking him with the umbrella, saving her little brother. I wrote this in my report:

" The older sister leapt from the bushes after observing a bully jumping on her little brother. She then proceeded to beat him off using an umbrella"

Man.......the "what type of lubrication" jokes went on for at least two hours.........and that was from the lady cops...!!!

You can imagine the

Hosshead
04-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Tom, A truck driver once told me, that the term (you're refering to), was on the menu at the Mustang Ranch in Nevada. But it was $10 extra, so I didn't go for it. ...oops..I mean He didn't go for it !

JustRalph
04-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I once wrote a police report on a fast paced day where I was running from call to call and it was hot as hell etc....tough day.

The next day the Sgt. read the report at Roll Call...just for fun.

The scenario was this. An 11 year old had to walk home from school two blocks every day. A bully was kicking his butt on a regular basis. The victims older sister decided to hide in the bushes and take care of this problem for her little brother. When the bully started whipping up on her brother she jumped from the bushes and attacked him with an umbrella. She flat kicked his butt whacking him with the umbrella, saving her little brother. I wrote this in my report:

" The older sister leapt from the bushes after observing a bully jumping on her little brother. She then proceeded to beat him off using an umbrella"

Man.......the "what type of lubrication" jokes went on for at least two hours.........and that was from the lady cops...!!!

You can imagine the

You can imagine the stuff from the guys.

*not sure why this got cut off on the original post

mhrussell
04-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Tom-

I was watching that race on TVG and the two TVG guys couldn't believe they heard this phrase either and actually got the track announcer on the phone after the race and had him explain it on the air! Evidently, (as the announcer informed the TVG viewers....) mamma donkeys have very large, wet tongues and can clean their young with one big, wet lick. So one big lick, and you're done!
Guess that turn of phrase got popular in Aussie racing circles and that's where this bit of racing slang comes from. I thought it funny and funnier still that the TVG guys would actually call the track announcer and have him explain it!

racingrev
04-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Me thinks your being a weee bit too precious...

That phrase is commonly used in racing and sports commentary around the world..

Lord knows I've used it myself...May well use it at the Matamata Races on Wednesday in support of Rob Geller...

Isn't it great that a racecaller dares to be a little different from the same old hum drum...Maybe...Just Maybe....Someone new to racing might have a chuckle and get interested!!!!!

Tom
04-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Racingrev....I agree. It was a great call. Caught me by surprise.
I wasn't sure I heard it right until TVG guys started yucking it up.

JustRalph
04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
If that is a new fangled imported phrase that the new fangled European styled announcers are going to be using........they can keep it. I can do without it.........

hurrikane
04-19-2004, 11:57 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm.........

donkey-lick

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................

Fastracehorse
04-20-2004, 02:51 AM
I just had a burst at 1 in the morning.

Funny as hell.

Tom,

I'm using Donkey-licked for now on.

fffastt

Fastracehorse
04-20-2004, 02:57 AM
I just posted 3 of your posts on the DRF forum - they should get a good laugh - I'm still chuckleing.

fffastt

I luv learning new stuff.

Kappa
04-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by penguinfan

I don't imagine the horse ran real well on the second of February :D :D