PDA

View Full Version : buh-bye Poly!

Tom
05-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Meydan will replace the poly track with conventional dirt.
Maybe the World Cup will regain some of the luster it lost.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85049/meydan-latest-to-abandon-synthetic-surface?source=rss

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if the World Cup continues to attract horses from the far east, south Africa, and all of Europe like is has been lately the US is not going to be as dominant on dirt as it used to be.

mountainman
05-14-2014, 10:41 AM

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85049/meydan-latest-to-abandon-synthetic-surface?source=rss

Oh please. Not that. Please.

cj
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if the World Cup continues to attract horses from the far east, south Africa, and all of Europe like is has been lately the US is not going to be as dominant on dirt as it used to be.

When have those horses been able to beat us on dirt? I don't see it.

Saratoga_Mike
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM

I hope Arlington is next.

Tom
05-14-2014, 11:57 AM
I see our best going back and dominating again.

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
When have those horses been able to beat us on dirt? I don't see it.

I think the quality of horses outside of Europe where they do run races on dirt has been rising rapidly in recent years. If they come, IMO they will prove to be tougher than people think.

egreen
05-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Meydan's surface is Tapeta not Polytrack.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Remember years ago when Poly/Tapeta/AWS was all the rage, and how if you expressed any reservations about them, there were people on here who basically accused you of being a cruel, heartless gambler who had no regard for horse and jockey?

Well, what do they say to these tracks who are removing AWS from their facilities? They can't simply be categorized as heartless gamblers...so what's the excuse?? It's not like handle has gone down the drain at Keeneland and other AWS tracks and they can say the heartless gambler forced this change on the tracks via decreased handle...

Just a few observations as the era of AWS winds down...

illinoisbred
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
I hope Arlington is next.
Arlington released a statement at the onset of the meet that all intentions are to keep the polytrack.Who knows though,if slots at the track ever get approved, poly could go bye-bye. Pretty sure most of the local fan base would be thrilled to see it go. AP used to have a pretty solid dirt stakes program..poly has decimated that and the current offering is of very little significance.

Valuist
05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Arlington released a statement at the onset of the meet that all intentions are to keep the polytrack.Who knows though,if slots at the track ever get approved, poly could go bye-bye. Pretty sure most of the local fan base would be thrilled to see it go. AP used to have a pretty solid dirt stakes program..poly has decimated that and the current offering is of very little significance.

Arlington has definitely gone downhill since they brought in Polytrack. They will have to make a decision in the near future. Supposedly Poly is good for about 7 years and then they have to remove all the old poly and bring in new, or get rid of it altogether.

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Remember years ago when Poly/Tapeta/AWS was all the rage, and how if you expressed any reservations about them, there were people on here who basically accused you of being a cruel, heartless gambler who had no regard for horse and jockey?

Well, what do they say to these tracks who are removing AWS from their facilities? They can't simply be categorized as heartless gamblers...so what's the excuse?? It's not like handle has gone down the drain at Keeneland and other AWS tracks and they can say the heartless gambler forced this change on the tracks via decreased handle...

Just a few observations as the era of AWS winds down...

I still think they are a good idea for some tracks. IMO the big mistake was rushing some of the major tracks to switch before thinking through the implications for Graded races, breeding etc... and before the results from the first movers were studied in depth.

Tall One
05-14-2014, 02:20 PM
I guess Woodbine, GG, Arlington, and Turfway are the lone holdouts? 2 of those 4 have a legit excuse for the artificial surface due to climate and dates ran, respectfully. Out of these tracks, I enjoy playing WDB heads and shoulders above the others.

cj
05-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I guess Woodbine, GG, Arlington, and Turfway are the lone holdouts? 2 of those 4 have a legit excuse for the artificial surface due to climate and dates ran, respectfully. Out of these tracks, I enjoy playing WDB heads and shoulders above the others.

Presque Isle Downs.

Tall One
05-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Ahhhh...thanks CJ. Knew I was leaving somebody out.

olddaddy
05-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Since there are a lot of euros, asian, saf horses at the dubai meet, I wonder if this will produce more grass racing there. I assume this will attract U.S. horses.

Tom
05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Woodbine is a very good track to play.

Valuist
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
The irony of this is that some of us really sucked at betting synthetic tracks for the first few years but finally feel capable of doing well betting them now.

Tom
05-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I think artificial surfaces could have been handled a lot better. Santa Anita stumbled around like a bunch of clowns and never got it right. Del Mar and Keeneland never handle dirt tracks very good, so it was not surprise they both sucked at poly. Presque Isle and Woodbine dd good, as did GG.

tanner12oz
05-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Presque Isle Downs.

cj is tapeta I thought like gg?

pele polo
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Keeneland- Poly*
Arlington- Poly
Del Mar- Poly*
Turfway- Poly
Woodbine- Poly

Meydan, Dubai- Tapeta*
Golden Gate- Tapeta
Presque Isle- Tapeta

Hollywood- Cushion

Santa Anita- Pro Ride*

*- denotes no longer using synthetic surface

I sincerely hope Arlington returns to dirt as their racing product has severely suffered from it. On the other hand Woodbine's stock has risen in the years of synthetic racing. Turfway needs it and it plays fair, runs more like dirt than the test of them.

thespaah
05-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Presque Isle Downs.
Yep....I think Keeneland will be the eventual lone hold out. Given the fact that the tracks management used to own a piece of the company..
And https://www.google.com/maps/place/Keeneland+Race+Track/@38.0464215,-84.61711,457m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8842429e35dd2a79:0xfd976 736e53e4c56

Hambletonian
05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
alot of this has to do with the costs and inconveniences due to maintenance of these surfaces.

combined with crybaby west coasters who hated to lose their handicapping edge, and the USA USA USA crowd who did not want to lose the home field dirt advantage, it was only a matter of time.

the fact is these surfaces were designed to be safer, and have proven to be safer, how safer in this age of rampant medications, etc, is debatable. It is like jogging and smoking at the same time. but what i think it is not debatable is that the USA, the most advanced country in the world, is at the bottom when it comes to the health and welfare of its equine competitors.

in any case, does anyone really think the racetrack owners making these decisions give a crap about whether fewer horses are injured or die? PETA is frankly kicking a dead horse...most people who are horses first are departing the sport regardless of their efforts. the hard core gamblers for the most part could not give a crud.

frankly, it is what it is. but i do like horses, and cannot for the life of me think of one reason to be happy when any measure which leads to more equine risk is implemented.

pele polo
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Yep....I think Keeneland will be the eventual lone hold out. Given the fact that the tracks management used to own a piece of the company..
And https://www.google.com/maps/place/Keeneland+Race+Track/@38.0464215,-84.61711,457m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8842429e35dd2a79:0xfd976 736e53e4c56

Keeneland is going back to dirt as of this fall

BettinBilly
05-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Keeneland is going back to dirt as of this fall

Can't wait. Now I'll have no excuse for my losses there. ;)

Fager Fan
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
alot of this has to do with the costs and inconveniences due to maintenance of these surfaces.

combined with crybaby west coasters who hated to lose their handicapping edge, and the USA USA USA crowd who did not want to lose the home field dirt advantage, it was only a matter of time.

the fact is these surfaces were designed to be safer, and have proven to be safer, how safer in this age of rampant medications, etc, is debatable. It is like jogging and smoking at the same time. but what i think it is not debatable is that the USA, the most advanced country in the world, is at the bottom when it comes to the health and welfare of its equine competitors.

in any case, does anyone really think the racetrack owners making these decisions give a crap about whether fewer horses are injured or die? PETA is frankly kicking a dead horse...most people who are horses first are departing the sport regardless of their efforts. the hard core gamblers for the most part could not give a crud.

frankly, it is what it is. but i do like horses, and cannot for the life of me think of one reason to be happy when any measure which leads to more equine risk is implemented.

Synthetics are not proven to be safer. The brand new synthetic tracks with their new bases were being compared to all the dirt tracks with their old bases and surfaces. The dirt tracks had the bottom-of-the-barrel racing such as Turf Paradise also bring down its average. You can't just take the stats at face value but have to dig further.

rubicon55
05-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Can't wait. Now I'll have no excuse for my losses there. ;)

I ditto that one too.