PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson vs Donald Sterling

Stillriledup
05-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Magic is praying, right now, for DS.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/magic-johnson-cnn

JustRalph
05-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Magic is no angel. He is an arrogant ass. I've seen in person how he treats people.

Magic wants to be Mayor of LA and then Governor of California. He also wants to own the Clippers. He is going to milk this.

I hope somebody asks him about those parties with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio. That would lead to other questions........nobody wants to ask.......

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 01:50 AM
Magic is no angel. He is an arrogant ass. I've seen in person how he treats people.

Magic wants to be Mayor of LA and then Governor of California. He also wants to own the Clippers. He is going to milk this.

I hope somebody asks him about those parties with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio. That would lead to other questions........nobody wants to ask.......

Maybe someone should ask them?

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
If I could get a bet down I'd make a wager that Magic put that women up to baiting Sterling into saying things that would get him into trouble specifically because he wants to drive Sterling out of the NBA and buy the Clippers.

Tom
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I agree 100% on that theory.
BTW, how is Johnson's having sex with so many women and getting HIV not detrimental to the NBA but comments made in private are?
The NBA is suddenly some organization of virtue? :lol::lol::lol:
Since when?

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 11:53 AM
BTW, how is Johnson's having sex with so many women and getting HIV not detrimental to the NBA but comments made in private are?There's an assumption in this here sentence...I think...

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Welcome to Pace Advantage, where Magic Johnson is somehow the villain in all this.. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :bang:

Not a villain, but not the super nice guy he's always portrayed to be.

Last year he was pissed off that Mike D'Antoni got the Lakers job instead of Phil Jackson. I'm sure many Lakers fans were. But rather than being quietly disappointed while supporting the team and organization the way any other former owner would, he went on a relentless twitter trashing of D'Antoni to the point it became detrimental to the team.

Jerry West (who is not even with the organization anymore) came public with support of the coach/organization and explained all the roster deficiencies that had nothing to do with coaching just to quiet him down.

When D'Antoni recently resigned because of lack of support after 2 injury filled years and a horrible roster, Magic celebrated publicly. Even Charles Barkley trashed Magic for it. He's simply not the nice guy he's made out to be. It's not beneath him to use underhanded and unprofessional business tactics to achieve his goals.

As you say, none of this has anything to do with Sterling. It's another topic. But he's no saint.

Tom
05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
There's an assumption in this here sentence...I think...

The word I was thinking of was accusation.

lamboguy
05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
they never took the Red Sox away from Tom Yawkey, he was 110% the bigot of all bigot's in the wide open.

this guy got conned into saying something that didn't smell right. i can see what he was thinking about with Magic, he didn't want his girlfriend getting involved with him because he didn't trust him as a person. in his mind he was looking out for his girlfriends best interest's.

so the coward's that run the NBA took the chicken shit way out of this deal and got rid of him because its politically correct. the guy is 80 years old, he put up his money that he didn't steal to buy this team, and now they take it away from him because he signed a paper a long time ago to give up his rights. if i ran the NBA i would get rid on Magic Johnson, he has a worse image for the game than this dopey owner.

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 12:26 PM
BTW, how is Johnson's having sex with so many women and getting HIV not detrimental to the NBA but comments made in private are?

Because in our culture you are allowed to be extremely promiscuous with either or both sexes, get and possibly even pass around sexually transmitted diseases to innocent people because of that behavior, have loads of children out of wedlock with different fathers/mothers, use abortion as a form of birth control, get high regularly, get busted regularly, wear racist jewelry (Jay Z), sing songs that encourage unproductive behavior, and do all sorts of things that are detrimental to society as long as you are part of the liberal protected class.

If you are not part of the protected class and say a peep that runs counter to the approved liberal agenda you are screwed. And God forbid if you are famous and openly religious like Tim Tebow. Then you are really screwed.

jballscalls
05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Because in our culture you are allowed to be extremely promiscuous with either or both sexes, get and possibly even pass around sexually transmitted diseases to innocent people because of that behavior, have loads of children out of wedlock with different fathers/mothers, use abortion as a form of birth control, get high regularly, get busted regularly, wear racist jewelry (Jay Z), sing songs that encourage unproductive behavior, and do all sorts of things that are detrimental to society as long as you are part of the liberal protected class.

If you are not part of the protected class and say a peep that runs counter to the approved liberal agenda you are screwed. And God forbid if you are famous and openly religious like Tim Tebow. Then you are really screwed.

I was pretty young when it happened, but was Magic given a pass at the time he announced he had HIV? I mean was he not criticized or shamed? Did some other players say they didn't want to even be on the same court as him?

I don't remember, just curious if anyone remembers the reaction

FantasticDan
05-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I was pretty young when it happened, but was Magic given a pass at the time he announced he had HIV? I mean was he not criticized or shamed? Did some other players say they didn't want to even be on the same court as him?There was definitely concern among opposing players:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/basketball-johnson-s-return-to-league-isn-t-welcomed-by-some.html

Tom
05-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I guess it all depends on how you define detrimental.

JustRalph
05-14-2014, 04:22 PM
The word I was thinking of was accusation.

I think he was headed another direction...........think Eddie Murphy.......

Magic had some "security help" that would attempt to recruit my wife's staff members for parties when we lived in SoCal.

He used to come in her restaurant and hold court sometimes........

classhandicapper
05-14-2014, 07:23 PM
I was pretty young when it happened, but was Magic given a pass at the time he announced he had HIV? I mean was he not criticized or shamed? Did some other players say they didn't want to even be on the same court as him?

I don't remember, just curious if anyone remembers the reaction

There was a mixed reaction, but at the time many people were very afraid of catching AIDs through casual contact because they still didn't understand how it was transmitted. As soon as the players were educated, then the reaction was very positive.

You would think one of the major lessons would have been that extremely promiscuous unprotected sex has risks, but it became more of an AIDs education and anti discrimination program.

Tom
05-14-2014, 07:44 PM
But didn't he try to make a comeback and got bloodied and then quit because players were concerned with getting his blood on them? Or maybe it was the Olympic team?

lamboguy
05-14-2014, 07:59 PM
when i was a kid i lived in an area that polio was spreading like wild fire. it was the hottest summer in the Dorchester section of Boston and there was no such thing as an air conditioner back then. my mother kept me locked in the house until Jonus Salk came up with the vaccine to this dreaded disease. the street i lived on was full of kids that contracted this disease.

i don't blame anyone that wants to stay a mile away from Magic Johnson, and there is no way i can Blame Sterling for telling his girlfriend to stay away from him either. HIV is a contagious disease.

kingfin66
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I think he was headed another direction...........think Eddie Murphy.......

Magic had some "security help" that would attempt to recruit my wife's staff members for parties when we lived in SoCal.

He used to come in her restaurant and hold court sometimes........

He was indeed heading in another direction. The assumption that was made was that Magic contracted HIV by having sex with women. Right PA?

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 02:05 AM
He was indeed heading in another direction. The assumption that was made was that Magic contracted HIV by having sex with women. Right PA?I suppose that would indeed be one assumption in the Magic story.

I once heard some claim he never had HIV, that it was all some conspiracy...although I don't know why in the world anyone would fake that...

thaskalos
05-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Not a villain, but not the super nice guy he's always portrayed to be.

Last year he was pissed off that Mike D'Antoni got the Lakers job instead of Phil Jackson. I'm sure many Lakers fans were. But rather than being quietly disappointed while supporting the team and organization the way any other former owner would, he went on a relentless twitter trashing of D'Antoni to the point it became detrimental to the team.

Jerry West (who is not even with the organization anymore) came public with support of the coach/organization and explained all the roster deficiencies that had nothing to do with coaching just to quiet him down.

When D'Antoni recently resigned because of lack of support after 2 injury filled years and a horrible roster, Magic celebrated publicly. Even Charles Barkley trashed Magic for it. He's simply not the nice guy he's made out to be. It's not beneath him to use underhanded and unprofessional business tactics to achieve his goals.

As you say, none of this has anything to do with Sterling. It's another topic. But he's no saint.

Whoever said that Magic Johnson was a saint? A man mentions that he prays...and that makes him a saint? Has Magic...or Michael...or any other superstar athlete for that matter...ever said that they were saints?

Myriads of people were offended by Sterling's remarks...but Magic Johnson was the one most directly affected by them...because it was HIS picture which sparked the entire conversation. Why shouldn't he be more upset than anybody else?

JustRalph
05-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Thask, you make a good point. But at some point I think the press (Cooper) et al are taking advantage of a man that quite possibly doesn't possess the mental acuity to carry on an intensive interview with someone like Cooper.

He obviously doesn't have a PR person, nor does he apparently take advice nor counsel from his subordinates in business. He obviously has surpassed the age wherein he should be the face of a pet shop, let alone a high profile sports team.

He should sell, collect the 1 billion and ride off into the sunset.

I still get this uneasy feeling in my stomach when I think about forcefully taking away a mans property for something he said. I also think that he may be just goofy enough to call Lebron James bluff and see if he can push the boycott threat.

Just think. He could push the matter in court for months. Make the players put up or shut up ( I think they play, no way they ignore those pay checks) then sell the team later and still get the billion bucks.

The stress of this situation could also kill him. I don't get the feeling he's taking it all that hard though.

classhandicapper
05-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Whoever said that Magic Johnson was a saint? A man mentions that he prays...and that makes him a saint? Has Magic...or Michael...or any other superstar athlete for that matter...ever said that they were saints?

Myriads of people were offended by Sterling's remarks...but Magic Johnson was the one most directly affected by them...because it was HIS picture which sparked the entire conversation. Why shouldn't he be more upset than anybody else?

I agree that many people were offended. However, I think the tape should rank about 10th on the list of offensive things Sterling has done. If he broke any bylaws of the NBA for this, he should have been thrown out many years ago, not now. Even Kareem said that.

Earlier in the thread I made a speculative comment about the possibility that Magic put that women up to trying to bait Sterling into saying something offensive as a way to get him thrown out of the NBA so his investment group could buy the Clippers. They have some kind of relationship. Everyone knows that Magic wants to buy an NBA team. About 2 days after the story broke there were already rumors that Magic wanted to buy the Clippers.

Magic's media coverage in general could not possibly be more favorable. I was simply pointing out that a scenario like this is more feasible than you would think based on Magic's press clippings. There are other examples of less than professional behavior when it comes to business.

It's not that much of a stretch. That's my only point.

Clocker
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
He should sell, collect the 1 billion and ride off into the sunset.

He is 80 years old and apparently in declining mental acuity. He is already past the sunset and sinking into the ocean. I think he just wants to do things his way, and doesn't care about the money.

Also, there are now "legal" opinions being tossed around in the media that the NBA may have overstepped its own authority as granted by its constitution in banning him and fining him. You know Sterling would love to tie up the NBA in court for the next 5 years.

Also, rumor has it that his wife has filed for divorce. Anyone want to bet on what happens to ownership of the team in a California divorce? Any bets on how long that process would take?

Any guesses as to what that franchise will be worth after several years of legal fighting, disappearing ad revenue, highly indifferent players and quickly declining attendance?

classhandicapper
05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
He is 80 years old and apparently in declining mental acuity. He is already past the sunset and sinking into the ocean. I think he just wants to do things his way, and doesn't care about the money.

Also, there are now "legal" opinions being tossed around in the media that the NBA may have overstepped its own authority as granted by its constitution in banning him and fining him. You know Sterling would love to tie up the NBA in court for the next 5 years.

Also, rumor has it that his wife has filed for divorce. Anyone want to bet on what happens to ownership of the team in a California divorce? Any bets on how long that process would take?

Any guesses as to what that franchise will be worth after several years of legal fighting, disappearing ad revenue, highly indifferent players and quickly declining attendance?

The whole thing is a mess.

I heard that virtually every major law firm thinks Sterling has a great case, but none of them want to take it because it would be so toxic for their reputation to take him as a client and fight the NBA.

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 08:22 PM
The whole thing is a mess.

I heard that virtually every major law firm thinks Sterling has a great case, but none of them want to take it because it would be so toxic for their reputation to take him as a client and fight the NBA.

Munson thinks Sterling has no chance.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

barn32
05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
I agree 100% on that theory.
The NBA is suddenly some organization of virtue? :lol::lol::lol:
Since when?It's very rare for a man to contract HIV from a woman. So at the time Magic Johnson contracted HIV everyone I knew simply assumed he had gotten aids from another man.

johnhannibalsmith
05-15-2014, 09:47 PM
It's very rare for a man to contract HIV from a woman. So at the time Magic Johnson contracted HIV everyone I knew simply assumed he had gotten aids from another man.

Most men don't bang 600 different women a year.

JustRalph
05-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Most men don't bang 600 different women a year.

Ding.............!!!

Not for a lack of trying on my part as a young man.............I did my part :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Most men don't bang 600 different women a year.Yes, this does factor into it...wonder how many kids he has? :lol: :lol:

There has always been speculation that he didn't acquire his virus from the fairer sex...I have no clue, and neither does anyone else as far as this goes.

Stillriledup
05-16-2014, 03:09 AM
Yes, this does factor into it...wonder how many kids he has? :lol: :lol:

There has always been speculation that he didn't acquire his virus from the fairer sex...I have no clue, and neither does anyone else as far as this goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvST-VkoTug :eek:

classhandicapper
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Munson thinks Sterling has no chance.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

That looks like an old article. The note I saw was from a few days ago. It said that several major law firms rejected the case because it was too toxic even though they thought he had a very good one. This is all outside my range other than the opinion that if this tape can give the NBA the power to force him to sell, what took so long. He's done worse.

JustRalph
05-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Can these reports of Steve Balmer offering 2 billion be true?

2 freakin billion? He really wants to move back to Seattle? Isn't that his plan?

classhandicapper
05-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Can these reports of Steve Balmer offering 2 billion be true?

2 freakin billion? He really wants to move back to Seattle? Isn't that his plan?

I read that the Sterlings are insisting that the team remain in LA as part of the deal, but money talks. Plus I would think the NBA would have something to say about that.

highnote
05-30-2014, 12:01 AM
One interesting conspiracy theory is that Sterling created the controversy so that he is forced to sell the team.

There is a tax law that says if a person is forced to sell their property by eminent domain or involuntary conversion the capital gains taxes are zero.

If he sells the company voluntarily he would pay hundreds of millions in taxes to the IRS and the state of CA.

The only caveat is that the money from the sale must be used to buy like-kind assets. So he could buy an amusement park, a stadium or another crappy team.

Interesting that from 1981 to 2011 the team was awful -- with something like only 2 winning seasons. Now, the team has suddenly gotten good, is worth a lot of money and he is being forced to sell it and will pay no taxes!

Brilliant! If that was his intention. Good fortune if it was not.

menifee
05-30-2014, 12:27 AM
One interesting conspiracy theory is that Sterling created the controversy so that he is forced to sell the team.

There is a tax law that says if a person is forced to sell their property by eminent domain or involuntary conversion the capital gains taxes are zero.

If he sells the company voluntarily he would pay hundreds of millions in taxes to the IRS and the state of CA.

The only caveat is that the money from the sale must be used to buy like-kind assets. So he could buy an amusement park, a stadium or another crappy team.

Interesting that from 1981 to 2011 the team was awful -- with something like only 2 winning seasons. Now, the team has suddenly gotten good, is worth a lot of money and he is being forced to sell it and will pay no taxes!

Brilliant! If that was his intention. Good fortune if it was not.

No way the IRS treats this as an involuntary conversion. He's going to take a huge capital gains hit (33%) approximately. His heirs lose big time. If he died while owning the team, they would get a step up in basis after his death and face no capital gains tax if they sold his team. Now, they won't get that.

highnote
05-30-2014, 12:36 AM
No way the IRS treats this as an involuntary conversion. He's going to take a huge capital gains hit (33%) approximately. His heirs lose big time. If he died while owning the team, they would get a step up in basis after his death and face no capital gains tax if they sold his team. Now, they won't get that.

How do you know? He said he is not voluntarily selling.

Although, I did read where Sterling is said to have accepted an offer from Steve Ballmer for 2 billion.

JustRalph
05-30-2014, 01:14 AM
The new logo

Dark Horse
05-30-2014, 01:57 AM
Magic is just a front man. Same as with the Dodgers. The group of financiers he's a small part of is Guggenheim Partners. Just Wall Street rolling on; nothing to see here... Unless, of course, they end up buying the Clippers... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guggenheim_Partners

Clocker
05-30-2014, 02:23 AM
How do you know? He said he is not voluntarily selling.

Although, I did read where Sterling is said to have accepted an offer from Steve Ballmer for 2 billion.

Latest drama is that Sterling has been ruled mentally unfit, and Wifey has control. The team is owned by the Sterling Family Trust, which is a 50/50 split between the two. Story here. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/)

davew
05-30-2014, 06:11 AM
I read that the Sterlings are insisting that the team remain in LA as part of the deal, but money talks. Plus I would think the NBA would have something to say about that.

Seattle Sonics were sold with same sort of deal, moved to Oklahoma City...

Valuist
05-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Latest drama is that Sterling has been ruled mentally unfit, and Wifey has control. The team is owned by the Sterling Family Trust, which is a 50/50 split between the two. Story here. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/)

If Sterling is mentally unfit, couldn't he use that as a defense for the comments he made? If comments from one who is mentally unfit are inadmissable in a courtroom, then how can he be forced to sell?

tucker6
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
If Sterling is mentally unfit, couldn't he use that as a defense for the comments he made? If comments from one who is mentally unfit are inadmissable in a courtroom, then how can he be forced to sell?
Well, nothing is admissible in a courtroom since the recording was illegal. I can't see how he'd lose in court to the NBA, who really has nothing on him from the public domain. I'd like to see the case happen just to see the genuflections.

JustRalph
05-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Well, nothing is admissible in a courtroom since the recording was illegal. I can't see how he'd lose in court to the NBA, who really has nothing on him from the public domain. I'd like to see the case happen just to see the genuflections.

Those are criminal rules. This is not going to be a criminal trial. The actual tape may not be the issue. The release of the tape is what they will claim as the "action" that damaged the NBA. Not the words themselves.

That's a huge difference. That takes into account his actions in his private life and the damage done by his immoral actions and the theory that his girlfriend did the real damage to the NBA. His actions and relationship being the catalyst for her releasing the tape would be the NBA argument. Bringing the actual damage.

It's a dangerous route to go down for all involved. I predict a judge at the first or 2nd level of any court action, pushes for some settlement so as to not have to ratchet up the issues to constitutional discussions and anti-trust opinions

Mike at A+
05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
$12.5 million to $2 billion. 16,000% ROI, pretty good deal.