PDA

View Full Version : Jose Fernandez

Valuist
05-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Blows out his arm. Matt Harvey last year. Strasburg a couple years ago. Fernandez will be the 18th major leaguer to undergo the Tommy John surgery this year.

Years ago, we saw guys pitch many more complete games and some log between 250-300 innings. Like horses nowadays, pitchers throw less and get hurt more.

Why? My guess is it has to do with lifting weights. Back when guys logged the real heavy innings, players didn't lift weights. The problem is you build the muscle real strong, but the tendons and ligaments aren't stronger. Not surprising it ends in injury. Can understand why hitters lift weights, but IMO, makes no sense for pitchers to lift.

Robert Fischer
05-13-2014, 02:51 PM
could be a contributing factor for sure.

Muscles grow faster than tendons and even though tendons and such can be strengthened you have issues with balance of strength, and with whatever is the "weakest link".

I'm not an mlb surgeon, but the ulnar ligament of the elbow and the rotator cuff of the shoulder seem to be the 2 oft injured areas for pitchers.

The rotator-cuff is more straightforward to train. There have been cable and light dumbell exercises at least since Tom House.

The ulnar ligament at the inside of elbow is a little hard to get at. You pretty much have to stress the arm in a pitching or arm-wrestling motion at various extensions to even attempt to train that. I'd assume they have training for that as well, but apparently it hasn't been super helpful.

Most of the guys today pitch like relievers or closers. They live and die with each pitch, they don't have to go long, they are hitting the mid-90s.

They've also had enough success with the elbow surgery that they just go ahead and do it. Where in the past a guy simply would lose some velocity and deal with soreness.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2014, 02:55 PM
I know steroids are supposedly no longer in use in MLB, however, don't steroids tend to make one susceptible to these kinds of injuries?

Valuist
05-13-2014, 03:21 PM
I know steroids are supposedly no longer in use in MLB, however, don't steroids tend to make one susceptible to these kinds of injuries?

Absolutely. And no doubt some pitchers have been on them. And even if they haven't eradicated steroids completely, I think its safe to say use is down. Home runs, power numbers and batting average numbers are all down. Every hitter doesn't have Tom Platz-like thighs anymore. But arm injuries are up.

Maybe its the reliance on "other" pitches. The split finger fastball, the cut fastball. Not sure there is any easy answer. Just odd that like thoroughbreds, they are becoming less durable.

Bettowin
05-13-2014, 04:14 PM
I think it also has to do with form. Strasburg was known to have an awkward motion that put a lot of stress on his elbow but nobody made him change they just let him pitch. Now when I see a young pitcher throwing 95-100+ I figure it's only a matter of time before they are on the DL.

MutuelClerk
05-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Strikeouts are great. These young throwers need to learn to pitch. Pitching to contact seems to keep these guys around a lot longer. You don't need to strike everyone out.

TheEdge07
05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Last winter Jose was pulling a car with two ropes tied around his shoulders outside the field track.Hes a knucklehead., His pitching coach chinea has worked with a few of my pitchers.
Great kid he needs someone around him all the time.

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Kids play baseball year round now with these "select" teams. Kids used to go from sport to sport during adolescence as each one was "in season".

These young pitchers are logging tons of innings, and Lord knows what kind of junk they are trying to throw.
That's how you ruin an arm.

And come to think of it, just what exactly is it when one "throws their arm out?"
I suppose the overhand throwing motion is not natural and it wears and tears on the shoulder and elbow.

TheEdge07
05-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Throwing a baseball isnt a normal..Softball pitchers can throw everyday because thats how your arm swings when walking..

Makes you appreciate Nolan Ryan.

MutuelClerk
05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
All those older pitchers who just ate up innings back in the day. It seems medically we have come a long way since then. With all the advances in training pitchers it seems would last even longer. 1971 Mickey Lolich 25-14 376 IP, 308 k's, completed 29 of 45 starts.

Marshall Bennett
05-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Starting pitchers these days throw harder for fewer innings then they once did. This likely leads to more arm problems. Starters used to pace themselves. Now with middle relievers and closers getting big bucks, they don't need to.

jballscalls
05-13-2014, 10:35 PM
My uncle Mel pitched for the Yankees for years and was their pitching coach and he didn't let either of his kids start pitching in any way shape or form til they were 16. And wouldn't let them throw a curveball til they were 18.

Both sons played in the big leagues, Todd had a 14 year career.

Mel told me at easter last year he just thought it was really important not to put so much strain on the arm so young and he thinks the year round select teams are very dangerous.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 01:01 AM
My uncle Mel pitched for the Yankees for years and was their pitching coach and he didn't let either of his kids start pitching in any way shape or form til they were 16. And wouldn't let them throw a curveball til they were 18.

Both sons played in the big leagues, Todd had a 14 year career.

Mel told me at easter last year he just thought it was really important not to put so much strain on the arm so young and he thinks the year round select teams are very dangerous.How is your uncle doing in his battle against cancer? I didn't realize it was way back in 2000 when he was first diagnosed...he beat it, but it returned last year...

Here's wishing him all the best...I've always liked him...

MutuelClerk
05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Mel was a helluva pitcher. Of course being a Yankee I had to root against him. Wishing him the best in his fight now.

Valuist
05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
I heard Smoltz on MLB Network yesterday and he believes the number one thing is the workout regimens. Nobody ever accused Maddux or Glavine of being muscle bound and those guys were as durable as anybody.

Bettowin
05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
I heard Smoltz on MLB Network yesterday and he believes the number one thing is the workout regimens. Nobody ever accused Maddux or Glavine of being muscle bound and those guys were as durable as anybody.

Glavine and Maddux each had a very smooth delivery. None of the herky jerky stuff you see today.

Valuist
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Glavine and Maddux each had a very smooth delivery. None of the herky jerky stuff you see today.

Maddux definitely did. Glavine often threw with a bit of "crossfire" in his delivery. During his leg kick, the body would lean a bit toward first before delivering the pitch. I would not classify that as mechanically smooth.

jballscalls
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
How is your uncle doing in his battle against cancer? I didn't realize it was way back in 2000 when he was first diagnosed...he beat it, but it returned last year...

Here's wishing him all the best...I've always liked him...

He's doing ok. He was in the hospital a couple months ago cause he was having trouble breathing, and my mom was pretty freaked out cause apparently it got real bad for a few days. Mel's Wife Jean and my mom are very close.

My mom did say they all went out on mothers day and Mel was in good spirits and stamina. He's all class and has fought this like a champion.