PDA

View Full Version : MS patch Tues 5/13/2014 - XP out in the cold

DJofSD
05-12-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.cbronline.com/news/tech/software/operatingsystems/microsoft-identifies-new-vulnerabilities-4264571

Users running Windows XP face more risk of attack as Microsoft's latest security patches reveal critical vulnerabilities to the out-of-support operating system.

The tech giant is due to release eight updates tomorrow (May 13th) in what will be its largest Patch Tuesday this year.

At least half of the bulletins affect the 13-year-old OS for which support expired on April 8.

Two of the eight security bulletins are critical, with SharePoint Server and Internet Explorer (IE) the worst affected. However XP users won't get any help from Microsoft to address them.

Additional details in the rest of the article at the link posted above.

KingChas
05-13-2014, 10:03 PM
fyi; 5/13/14

Updates show up on windows 8.
Windows 7 and lower you have to go to windows update and manually check for updates for them to show.
My comps are set for auto updates but for some reason the windows 7 say windows updates are up to date until I manually check for new updates then over 10 updates show.................... :confused:

DJofSD
05-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Pulled out the laptop with XP and only 1 patch was installed for the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

wilderness
05-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Pulled my laptop (XP-32) yesterday, which hadn't been used in some months and it tried to install four updates (different months) for the Malicious Update.

Will fire-up my XP 64 next week and see what happens there.

forced89
05-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Windows 7 and lower you have to go to windows update and manually check for updates for them to show.

I manually checked. Microsoft said I needed to install 7 necessary updates with 5 non critical updates available. I opted to download and install the 7 necessary ones. Took about 20 minutes between the download and the install.

wilderness
05-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Will fire-up my XP 64 next week and see what happens there.

Fired up this machine on Thursday and in addition to the Malicious update there were four additional updates, thus I'd assume the XP 64 updates are still active.